View Full Version : My Sparring Match. (Amateur Level)

"Shion"
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnlvB_IdnQ

This is a match I had last Friday, June the 11th 2010.

I wanted some input from you guys on how I did.

So please give me some constructive criticism.

Thanks alot guys, enjoy the fight.

Oh, I am the dude in Blue by the way.

Don Flamenco
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Was that you dancing in the beginning?

Squirrel
06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Which one are you?

both seem quite sloppy and overly-eager; really need to pace yourselves, pick your shots and stay cool.

Definitely on your way but like I say, if you meet somone with the above points they'll ice you quite easily.

"Shion"
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Was that you dancing in the beginning?
Yes, that is me.

Which one are you?

both seem quite sloppy and overly-eager; really need to pace yourselves, pick your shots and stay cool.

Definitely on your way but like I say, if you meet somone with the above points they'll ice you quite easily.

I am the one in the blue corner.

Wearing completely blue.

GoogleMe
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
You really need to relax. And then relax some more. Cause you'd get knocked cold out like that.

"Shion"
06-13-2010, 10:09 PM
You really need to relax. And then relax some more. Cause you'd get knocked cold out like that.

Ellaborate Please...

Spartacus Sully
06-13-2010, 11:07 PM
after you knock some one down try to be alittle more modest.

other then that good fight i enjoyed watching it.

"Shion"
06-14-2010, 02:30 AM
after you knock some one down try to be alittle more modest.

other then that good fight i enjoyed watching it.

Yeah, the adrenaline got to me.. :boxing:

Thank you.

Golden Boi 360
06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
el sonidito

"Shion"
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
el sonidito

Hell yeah! XD

mushahadeen
06-14-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnlvB_IdnQ

Ha oh man I enjoyed that ****. That other dude was trying to kill you.

fdotorres
06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
lol was that the first time you knocked down someone?

~Riley~
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Quit dropping your head down so much. And you kept doing it to the same side. But that ain't bad for an amateur fight.I enjoyed it holmes.

"Shion"
06-14-2010, 07:48 PM
lol was that the first time you knocked down someone?

It was the first time I knocked someone down in public.

In earlier sparring matches I would knock some guys down too.

Quit dropping your head down so much. And you kept doing it to the same side. But that ain't bad for an amateur fight.I enjoyed it holmes.

Yeah i did...

Thanks man.

FalconsRB
06-14-2010, 08:42 PM

I agree with riley and also stay in balance, walk.

"Shion"
06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I agree with riley and also stay in balance, walk.

I see what you mean.

My coach told me to not walk though, he taught me to always push on the back leg to move forward and vice versa so that I don't get flat footed while fighting.

Does that make sense?

FalconsRB
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I see what you mean.

My coach told me to not walk though, he taught me to always push on the back leg to move forward and vice versa so that I don't get flat footed while fighting.

Does that make sense?

yea, use your legs when you punch but then start walking and stay in balance always.

"Shion"
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
yea, use your legs when you punch but then start walking and stay in balance always.

Ahh ok I see.

Thanks for the advice man. :hitit:

"Shion"
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
*bump*

*need more advice fellas*

Joachim
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
quit dropping your hands. bring them back to your face after you throw.

colly10
06-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Your head movement is good but relying on it as much as you seem to burns more energy than required. You are fighting very tense, that tenseness burns more energy and causes you to make wilder movements than needed.
The position of your hands is quite low and is also away from your face when your not throwing punches.
My advice for all of the above would be when your sparring for the next month or 2, try to step in and relax, hold both hands to your forehead, make a heart shape with the gloves between the palm of your hands and the top of your gloves. Keep the gloves tight together without being tense and keep the top of the gloves touching your forehead. Learn to take many straight shots into the gloves while you hold this position and relax, where he tries a hook step back out of range, relax and frustrate your opponent. As you get more use to relaxing and getting the other guy to burn energy, throw in some counters and plan your attacks. When your relaxed like this it also helps you to think easier and spot his weaknesses.
It's good though, bar the positon of the hands and tenseness, that can be expected at this stage though

"Shion"
06-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Your head movement is good but relying on it as much as you seem to burns more energy than required. You are fighting very tense, that tenseness burns more energy and causes you to make wilder movements than needed.
The position of your hands is quite low and is also away from your face when your not throwing punches.
My advice for all of the above would be when your sparring for the next month or 2, try to step in and relax, hold both hands to your forehead, make a heart shape with the gloves between the palm of your hands and the top of your gloves. Keep the gloves tight together without being tense and keep the top of the gloves touching your forehead. Learn to take many straight shots into the gloves while you hold this position and relax, where he tries a hook step back out of range, relax and frustrate your opponent. As you get more use to relaxing and getting the other guy to burn energy, throw in some counters and plan your attacks. When your relaxed like this it also helps you to think easier and spot his weaknesses.
It's good though, bar the positon of the hands and tenseness, that can be expected at this stage though

Yeah, excess movement seems to be my problem.

I'll give your advice a try next time I spar.

Thanks alot, man.

BuddyBud
06-16-2010, 07:52 PM
u fight like an oldman that drank barrel of coffe..

"Shion"
06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
u fight like an oldman that drank barrel of coffe..

Is that a good or bad thing? O.o

ElGuero408
06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
haha what song is that? Your latino im going to guess and how much you weight?

"Shion"
06-17-2010, 08:04 AM
haha what song is that? Your latino im going to guess and how much you weight?

The song's name is "El Sonidito" By the band: Hechizeros.

Yeah, I'm latino. :boxing:

I weighed 183 in that fight.

I weight around 179 currently.

ElGuero408
06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Good stuff man. I would take advice from this thread. How long you been boxing?

"Shion"
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Good stuff man. I would take advice from this thread. How long you been boxing?

I started my Sophomore year, which was two years ago.

I just graduated high school.

I used to go to an actual Boxing Gym for that first year until it got waaay too expensive.

Then my school started a boxing club, so I continued at my school for my Junior and Senior Year.

kryo
06-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Watched literally 30 seconds.. keep your hands up, slow down and quit jumping around for no reason, and stop crossing your feet every 3 seconds. You can punch fine but everything else was lacking.. work on calming down, that's probably the worst part.

"Shion"
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Watched literally 30 seconds.. keep your hands up, slow down and quit jumping around for no reason, and stop crossing your feet every 3 seconds. You can punch fine but everything else was lacking.. work on calming down, that's probably the worst part.

Yeah, so far people have been saying that I seem very uptight.

I will work on staying calm.