View Full Version : Opinion on arm hooks?

Chip2006uk
06-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I know the correct way to throw a left hook (assuming you are orthodox)is to pivot the left foot and shift the weight from the lower body, and the incorrect way is to throw a hook using your arm.

But does anyone else think that the arm hook can be used effectively? As a tall fighter who relies on his speed, I find that throwing 'arm' left hooks are much more useful for me than a proper left hook.

Of course it is much weaker than a proper hook but it still has some pop. Plus I can pull of a quick left arm hook twice as fast as a proper hook, lastly I find that in sparring I can usually land the arm hook from about medium range whereas a proper hook would require me to get much closer in range.

I can see how it would be useless for smaller inside fighters or sluggers but does anyone else think the 'arm hook' is an underrated punch for fast fighters, especially in the amateurs where its all about landing shots rather than knocking the other guy out

them_apples
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I know the correct way to throw a left hook (assuming you are orthodox)is to pivot the left foot and shift the weight from the lower body, and the incorrect way is to throw a hook using your arm.

But does anyone else think that the arm hook can be used effectively? As a tall fighter who relies on his speed, I find that throwing 'arm' left hooks are much more useful for me than a proper left hook.

Of course it is much weaker than a proper hook but it still has some pop. Plus I can pull of a quick left arm hook twice as fast as a proper hook, lastly I find that in sparring I can usually land the arm hook from about medium range whereas a proper hook would require me to get much closer in range.

I can see how it would be useless for smaller inside fighters or sluggers but does anyone else think the 'arm hook' is an underrated punch for fast fighters, especially in the amateurs where its all about landing shots rather than knocking the other guy out

a proper left hook uses the arm and body. You snap the hook from your shoulder. Lots pf people don't know this but look a Roy Jones, Mayweather, chavez..etc the arm is snapping to give it more pop.

Del Coqui
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM

arm hooks is a dangerous move but you can use it to setup a big right to the body or head.