View Full Version : Mouthpiece....

CUFreeze
06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Is there anything to these high dollar mouth guards like (http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ultra-stc.aspx) or is it a waste of money when the $2 clear plastic one will do?

Thanks!

Bullrush
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
i wouldnt trust these cheap rubber mouthguards to protect your teeth

i got a shock doctor for 25 bucks and its rock solid and perfect for boxing

icedog11
06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
this is what you want and what tons of pro's wear

www.customguards.com

CUFreeze
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
this is what you want and what tons of pro's wear

www.customguards.com

Yeah not paying $80 for a mouthpiece.... lol

dreaded_FIST
06-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Dude, you'll notice a HUGE difference when wearing a custom mouthpiece...versus those shockdoctor ones...

I'm not bashing shockdoctor...since I own a few things made by them..but honestly, when it comes to protecting your teeth... no competition...go with the custom...more comfortable, better protection.

But shockdoctor is good...or hell ask your dentist how much he charges for custom

CUFreeze
06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
ok excuse my ignorance here fellas but what is the difference in a "custom" mouthpiece and one you boil and fit to your teeth? I have always used the later.

Thanks

dreaded_FIST
06-04-2010, 03:59 PM
ok excuse my ignorance here fellas but what is the difference in a "custom" mouthpiece and one you boil and fit to your teeth? I have always used the later.

Thanks

The ones that you boil and bite....wear out quicker, if you dont get the right fit ...then its utterly useless, and it doesnt provide better protection than customs. Could interfere with breathing...and I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I'm protecting my teeth with a $2 mouthpiece.

The only upside is that it's cheaper lol..you get what you pay for

Bullrush
06-04-2010, 06:26 PM
you are comparing those cheap ass everlast mouthguards for 2 bucks to custom ones? come on

there is not a big difference when you compare decent shock doctors out there (for around 20 bucks) to the custom ones. custom ones are more comfortable to wear but thats about it. breathing, protection etc. all that changed the past few years, the decent shock doctors are pretty close to the custom ones at this point which is why the custom mouthguards are getting cheaper the more time passes. couple years ago you had to pay 150-200 bucks for a custom one. now you can get them for 50 bucks or so

look if you dont care about money, or if you just feel like spending that type of money on a mouthguard go ahead and get the custom one. nobody's saying its worse. but if you dont have the dough you are way better off with a shock doctor for 20 bucks. you dont have to worry about getting your teeth knocked out or anything or not be able to breath or speak and whatnot

dreaded_FIST
06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
you are comparing those cheap ass everlast mouthguards for 2 bucks to custom ones? come on

there is not a big difference when you compare decent shock doctors out there (for around 20 bucks) to the custom ones. custom ones are more comfortable to wear but thats about it. breathing, protection etc. all that changed the past few years, the decent shock doctors are pretty close to the custom ones at this point which is why the custom mouthguards are getting cheaper the more time passes. couple years ago you had to pay 150-200 bucks for a custom one. now you can get them for 50 bucks or so

look if you dont care about money, or if you just feel like spending that type of money on a mouthguard go ahead and get the custom one. nobody's saying its worse. but if you dont have the dough you are way better off with a shock doctor for 20 bucks. you dont have to worry about getting your teeth knocked out or anything or not be able to breath or speak and whatnot

I dont think any pro boxers wear shock doctor mouthguards...Almost all of them wear a professionally fitted mouthpiece...

But yeah, I was comparing a custom to a $2 mouthpiece because thats what the OP wanted to buy..... lolzwat?

putaloco
06-04-2010, 10:40 PM
honestly if youre not buying a custom those dollar ones are fine. I used one for years with out a problem and its not like I dont get hit. the customs are totally worth the money.

F l i c k e r
06-05-2010, 03:57 AM

Thanks

Boil and bite: Decent protection, not great, decent. It will get the job done.

Custom: Great protection. It's made for your teeth and your teeth only. Not everyone have the same teeth, so naturally these will protect helluva lot better than a boil and bite. Because they are fitted for your exact teeth. Not to mention will be 10x more comfortable. Just to add, it will also last way longer than a boil and bite. For ****s and giggles, you can design it the way you want.

Also, the purpose of mouth guards isn't solely to protect your teeth. It's to protect from concussion. Boil and bite guards don't protect as efficiently as custom mouth guards.

http://www.protektmouthguards.com/index.htm

You don't have to get a custom guard but if your serious about your teeth and dome. Then you can't settle for anything less.
Shock Doctor is a good enough substitute though. You can buy a $2 mouth guard too, those might cut up your gums though, if your using it for boxing that is.

Bullrush
06-05-2010, 04:31 AM
I dont think any pro boxers wear shock doctor mouthguards...Almost all of them wear a professionally fitted mouthpiece...

But yeah, I was comparing a custom to a $2 mouthpiece because thats what the OP wanted to buy..... lolzwat?

well i dont think you can say that. i know for a fact that at least one pro MMA athlete (diego sanchez) wears the same shock doctor im wearing. the power double. and thats only because he is a maniac who runs out during his entrance and opens his mouth and yells like crazy. the power double is perfect for boxing. if somebody high profile like that picks that one over a custom mouthguard there cant be much of a difference. in fact i think the power double is better because its a double, you can lock your bottom teeth in. and theres a big gap in the middle for you to breathe thru. you dont even have to open your mouth, ever. and you will not forget to bite down because that comes automatically. so your jaw is safe at all times. with the single ones you sort of try to open your mouth once you get tired, you wont do that with the double. plus in order to get it off i almost have to rip out my teeth thats how tight it sits.

if there is a double custom mouthguard and not just a single one i would maybe pick it over the shock doctor one if they were the same price range (around 50 bucks). but im too satisfied with the shock doctor product that i would consider getting something else. i know the fit is way better with a custom one but the fit doesnt really bother me so im just sticking with what i have.

but yea i agree those cheapass everlast ones are terrible. you can bend them with 2 of your fingers. i wouldnt trust them to protect my teeth/jaw

Frighteous
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
If you're serious about competing in any combat sport, the most revolutionary mouthpiece out there is called 'Unbreakable', you have to goto a dentist to get it. It makes a huge difference, and alot of pros use it in Boxing and MMA...

Frighteous
06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
That guy's probably a damn veterinarian or something and boxes in his free time.

You gotta be a jagoff pro to be using a shock doctor.

oaklandstephen
06-05-2010, 01:42 PM

u get what u pay for. if u wanna lose a few teeth ull buy the cheap one, if u wanna keep a few teeth ull buy the good one.

dreaded_FIST
06-05-2010, 02:42 PM
well i dont think you can say that. i know for a fact that at least one pro MMA athlete (diego sanchez) wears the same shock doctor im wearing. the power double. and thats only because he is a maniac who runs out during his entrance and opens his mouth and yells like crazy. the power double is perfect for boxing. if somebody high profile like that picks that one over a custom mouthguard there cant be much of a difference. in fact i think the power double is better because its a double, you can lock your bottom teeth in. and theres a big gap in the middle for you to breathe thru. you dont even have to open your mouth, ever. and you will not forget to bite down because that comes automatically. so your jaw is safe at all times. with the single ones you sort of try to open your mouth once you get tired, you wont do that with the double. plus in order to get it off i almost have to rip out my teeth thats how tight it sits.

if there is a double custom mouthguard and not just a single one i would maybe pick it over the shock doctor one if they were the same price range (around 50 bucks). but im too satisfied with the shock doctor product that i would consider getting something else. i know the fit is way better with a custom one but the fit doesnt really bother me so im just sticking with what i have.

but yea i agree those cheapass everlast ones are terrible. you can bend them with 2 of your fingers. i wouldnt trust them to protect my teeth/jaw

K yeah, diego sanchez may wear that mouthguard...thats cool...like I said, I have no problem with shockdoctor...but I was talking boxing. AND, honestly, whats $50~$150? Thats pretty cheap if you ask me......

In MMA, I remember Karo Parisyan getting clocked in the jaw....and you can clearly see a tooth fly out (He fought Diego Sanchez lol). I remember them saying that He was wearing one of those $2 mouthguards....that would suck if that happened wouldnt it? I like my teeth..

jaskieee
06-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Thats not an expensive mouthguard at all

the ones where they send out the mould n then you send it back and they custom your mouthguard are the expensive ones there like $150+ (AUD).

All boil and bite mouthguards are reasonably cheap but i guess this one your linking us too is top of the range.

icedog11
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Bullrush you are a fountain of misinformation.

Plain and simple the Academy of Sports Dentistry states very clearly that a custom made heat and pressure laminated mouthguard is 1000% more protective than any store bought boil and bite.

This is why shock Dr. has added a custom to their line you can buy it for $150 at Sports authority.

Gladiator has been making quality customs longer than any other company. they are listed as the official mouthguard for hockey east and the ECAC. Because they supply so many college teams they can hold the price down to $50 plus shipping. the Pro is the guard B-Hop wears.

Bullrush
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
the customs cost more because they are custom. hence the word custom. do they offer even more protection? they might. who gives a **** if you dont have to worry about getting your teeth knocked out with a decent shock doctor in the first place? wheres the logic in all that? you might as well box with 3 pairs of boxing gloves on while youre at it. the decent boil and bite gets the job done, why dont you understand that? if you want even more protection go ahead and spend whatever amount on a custom one. but the decent boil and bite ones get the job done.

watch the diaz vs penn fight where penn almost killed the guy. everything on his face was busted up. the only thing that looked still brand new were his teeth. and he was wearing a shock doctor. you dont have to defend your own MG here. shock doctor will give you what...50k in case your teeth get damaged while wearing one of their MG's during boxing or whatever? and youre talking about looking for more protection? why would anybody guarantee you 50k if the chance of getting your teeth knocked out was higher than .00000000000000001%?

such a dumb discussion were having here man im out gotta go training. oh wait i cant i need a custom mouthguard otherwise my teeth will fall out. ****.

fdotorres
06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
you can get custom mouthguards for less than $35 nowadays. no point in NOT getting one for that price IMO

Chip2006uk
06-08-2010, 06:58 PM
You can buy a $2 mouth guard too, those might cut up your gums though, if your using it for boxing that is.

Yeah they are quite bad for this, usually they are a little too big and have bits poking out that are fine until you get hit, then your gums will suffer. But a solution is to just heat up the areas that are cutting you and cut them down a little bit, also try to file it down so its smooth otherwise it'll just be worse.

SBleeder
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I feel like I'm gagging with a cheap football-style mouthpiece, so I go for a little higher quality and it seems to help.

dreaded_FIST
06-10-2010, 09:51 PM
My dentist is making my mouthguard.. and its free

U mad?