View Full Version : Incredible Hulk Training Regime

venom1
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
This is my weekly workout, tell me what you think the purpose for it is to bulk up, most of the basic exercises really to be honest.

Tue - Chest/Triceps

Bench Press/Dumbbell Press
Incline Bench/Dumbells
Decline Dumbbell Press
Flat Flies
Incline Flies

Straight Bar Pushdowns
Dumbbell Kickbacks
Weighted Bench Dips

Thur - Back/Biceps

Wide Grip Pull Ups
Deadlifts(when i can be arsed for the trauma)/T-Bar RowZ/Bent Over Rows
Lateral Pulldowns
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Barbell Shrugs
Hyperextentions

EZ Bar Bicep Curls/Preacher Curls
DB Concentration Curls
DB Hammer Curls

Saturday/Sunday - Shoulder, Abs, Legs
Side Lateral Raise
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Upright RowZ - EZ Bar
Bent Over Lateral Raise

Squats/Leg Press/Romanian Squats(dumbbell)
Leg Curls(up)
Leg Curls(down)
Calf Raises

jrv1932
06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Pretty solid. Id probably go a little harder on shoulders and tris but overall pretty solid. Ever tried doing arnold press for shoulders? I started doing it like 2 months ago and my shoulders are bigger than ever

Squirrel
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
What are your stats and how new are you to lifting? cuase you seem to have a VERY large volume.

venom1
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Pretty solid. Id probably go a little harder on shoulders and tris but overall pretty solid. Ever tried doing arnold press for shoulders? I started doing it like 2 months ago and my shoulders are bigger than ever

Thanks, yeah i used to do Arnold Press, but i changed it to dumbbell press so i could lift heavier, i am thinking of adding another heavy lifting exercise to the shoulders, don't know which one goes with db presses though.

squirrel, what you mean?

Squirrel
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
How tall are you/what weight.

How much lifting experience do you have?

You appear to be doing a LOT; lots of sets, lots of exercsies etc.

If youre starting out you'd be better served doing Rippetoes or Madcows Starting Strength programs.

venom1
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
6 ft 3, about 77 kg in weight.

I been pumping about 3 years now but i lost sooo much weight last year due to an accident and was basically left super skinny and all muscle gone. Not too bad now though

venom1
06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
How tall are you/what weight.

How much lifting experience do you have?

You appear to be doing a LOT; lots of sets, lots of exercsies etc.

If youre starting out you'd be better served doing Rippetoes or Madcows Starting Strength programs.

What advice would you personally give for bulking up and being huge.

Othello
06-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Edit:
Or just read this thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Jack3d
06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
What are your rep ranges?
Why no deadlifts?
Why no Back Squats?
Why are you doing so little for shoulders?
Why aren't you doing barely any BB exercises?

I'd lose the 3 day split and do Mon-Friday and take Saturday and Sunday off.

I'd do Chest, Back, Legs and Shoulders on their own day and do Bi's and Tri's together.

Throw in abs with every workout.

Couple that with eating a lot and you'll get huge.

Squirrel
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM

The part that I said last; read up and start on Rippetoes Starting Strength.

Squirrel
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
What are your rep ranges?
Why no deadlifts?
Why no Back Squats?
Why are you doing so little for shoulders?
Why aren't you doing barely any BB exercises?

I'd lose the 3 day split and do Mon-Friday and take Saturday and Sunday off.

I'd do Chest, Back, Legs and Shoulders on their own day and do Bi's and Tri's together.

Throw in abs with every workout.

Couple that with eating a lot and you'll get huge.

You should really do biceps with back and triceps with chest.

You should only do abs once or twice a week, if you can do more you ain't hitting em right.

Jack3d
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
You should really do biceps with back and triceps with chest.

Not really.

You should only do abs once or twice a week, if you can do more you ain't hitting em right.

This isn't true either.

Squirrel
06-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Both are true.

Working Biceps and triceps on the same day is odd given theyre such small muscles, and that they're antagonistic to each other. For maximum gains you want triceps on chest day and biceps on back day.

Your abs are just like any other muscle, you shouldnt work them any different. For mass gains you need to be working at about 80% your max lift in the 5-8 rep range. If you're doing that you shouldn't be able to do them more than once or twice a week.

Anything more and you're not working them hard enough.

kryo
06-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Both are true.

Working Biceps and triceps on the same day is odd given theyre such small muscles, and that they're antagonistic to each other. For maximum gains you want triceps on chest day and biceps on back day.

Your abs are just like any other muscle, you shouldnt work them any different. For mass gains you need to be working at about 80% your max lift in the 5-8 rep range. If you're doing that you shouldn't be able to do them more than once or twice a week.

Anything more and you're not working them hard enough.

Absolutely right.

And you need to work your legs, both so you don't look like a goofy ass chicken legged mother ****er, but also because it will improve your boxing performance.

kryo
06-08-2010, 02:32 AM
I took last quarter off from a hypertrophy routine and focused on gaining strength and did Bill Starr's 5x5 program.. my lifts went from:

Bench 185x5->205x5
Squat 215x5->255x5
Deadlift 245x5->315x5
Barbell Row 135x5->165x5

.. 9 weeks, gained 0lbs because I was treating this as an "experiment". I hate how people say weights MAKE you gain weight.. you gotta EAT to gain the weight, and I stuck to a strict diet the entire time to ensure I didn't gain weight. Yes, my body changed and I looked better, but I added virtually no weight and obviously my strength jumped through the roof. Now I am back on a hypertrophy program but since I loved the feeling of HEAVY ASS 5x5's I am doing a modified version of Layne Norton's routine which incorporates 5x5's as well as traditional sets of 8-12 reps.

Spartacus Sully
06-08-2010, 05:46 AM

if your going for looking like the hulk agreed though giant bulky abs are worthless.

as well with just doing weighted sit ups you end up like arnold with no defined lower abs and huge upper abs since the range of motion causes the upper abs to take the brunt of the weight.

situps 5-6 times a week is best for functional strength and overall appearance.

Squirrel
06-08-2010, 12:11 PM
if your going for looking like the hulk agreed though giant bulky abs are worthless.

as well with just doing weighted sit ups you end up like arnold with no defined lower abs and huge upper abs since the range of motion causes the upper abs to take the brunt of the weight.

situps 5-6 times a week is best for functional strength and overall appearance.

We're not talking about functional strength we're talking about bulking, hence my post.

And weighted sit ups isn't the only core exercise.

Squirt
06-08-2010, 08:39 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hKmQ7euQ6do&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hKmQ7euQ6do&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BrooklynBomber
06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
That looks like too much volume. Your chest should be done with two, maximum three exercises; supporting muscles like triceps or shoulders should be done with one or two exercises.
For my training style I always trained antagonist muscles, up until this spring when I started doing upper/lower body splits.
But honestly, that would not interest you.
The best source, by far, to get a good program is tmuscle.com