View Full Version : Seattle boxing gyms

Dirt
06-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Anyone in the seattle area that have any good recommendations for a good boxing gym for a beginner?

i'm not looking to compete. just learn the basics, light sparring and have some fun.

i've looked around and it seems like there's only 1.

thanks!

BOXING 24/7
06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
I used to go to one over in Tacoma cant really remember the name of it, had great equipment, but couldnt afford to travel frome Bremerton to Tacoma everyday. I'll post the name of the gym if I remember it.

Dirt
06-03-2010, 01:29 AM
I used to go to one over in Tacoma cant really remember the name of it, had great equipment, but couldnt afford to travel frome Bremerton to Tacoma everyday. I'll post the name of the gym if I remember it.

tacoma is deep man. thanks though!

Dirt
06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
anyone else? thanks!

Frighteous
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5057/35812760.png

I'd goto the "Robert Shannon Boxing Club". Someone proud enough to put their full name on the front of their business means more to me than silly gym names. That gym sounds like a tough one, I may be wrong though.

Jakutindi Wauya
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone in the seattle area that have any good recommendations for a good boxing gym for a beginner?

i'm not looking to compete. just learn the basics, light sparring and have some fun.

i've looked around and it seems like there's only 1.

thanks!
You know just before you get to Quincy Jones' house,there's a great gym down

dreaded_FIST
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Robert_Shannon

definitely train with this guy....his trainer used to be Angelo Dundee

Dirt
06-13-2010, 04:00 AM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5057/35812760.png

I'd goto the "Robert Shannon Boxing Club". Someone proud enough to put their full name on the front of their business means more to me than silly gym names. That gym sounds like a tough one, I may be wrong though.

wait, you said you go there, but you said it sounds like a tough one?

or did i misread that?

anyway, thanks for that screenshot, but i did search google and all the PNW amateur sites. i found one in Renton called Azteca boxing club and it's a whole lot cheaper than Cappys.

Robert shannon's club is a little far from me, but i might check that out thanks!

GrandpaBernard
06-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Bumblebee's is in South Seattle. Credit is in Renton right next to Skyway. Azteca is in the heart of Renton. They also have SeaMar in West Seattle.

Bumblebee and Credit are ran by former pros that held some minor belts. The coach at Credit focuses more towards making pro fighters.

TENOCHTITLAN BOXING
Contact Lorenzo Reyes (425) 829 0514 or 206 941 0220
455 Jefferson Ave NE Renton, WA 98056

Dirt
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Bumblebee's is in South Seattle. Credit is in Renton right next to Skyway. Azteca is in the heart of Renton. They also have SeaMar in West Seattle.

Bumblebee and Credit are ran by former pros that held some minor belts. The coach at Credit focuses more towards making pro fighters.

TENOCHTITLAN BOXING
Contact Lorenzo Reyes (425) 829 0514 or 206 941 0220
455 Jefferson Ave NE Renton, WA 98056

yeah i looked into credit and bumblee and it looks like they're geared towards those who want to compete. bumblebee also seems more focused on kids and those who are younger rather than adult beginners.

Havent heard too much about Tenochtitlan. are you part of them?

GrandpaBernard
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
yeah i looked into credit and bumblee and it looks like they're geared towards those who want to compete. bumblebee also seems more focused on kids and those who are younger rather than adult beginners.

Havent heard too much about Tenochtitlan. are you part of them?I used to train out of tenochititlan when it was slower and less crowded. It looks like they're more packed these days with three amateurs and one pro training out of there. There were a few older guys who were never planning to compete while I was still there, and the coach was fine with it. He used to only charge $50 a month back in my time.

I heard a rumor that Bumblebee once kicked a kid out of his gym for refusing to compete, but you can try to be upfront about what you're planning.

Credit's dues are around $75 a month. When I visited the gym a long time ago there were definitely people around who looked like they would never intend to fight.

Dirt
06-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I used to train out of tenochititlan when it was slower and less crowded. It looks like they're more packed these days with three amateurs and one pro training out of there. There were a few older guys who were never planning to compete while I was still there, and the coach was fine with it. He used to only charge $50 a month back in my time.

I heard a rumor that Bumblebee once kicked a kid out of his gym for refusing to compete, but you can try to be upfront about what you're planning.

Credit's dues are around $75 a month. When I visited the gym a long time ago there were definitely people around who looked like they would never intend to fight.

yeah a guy i know checked out credit and they strictly want competitors.

Cappys is the best fit for what i want, but just way too expensive.

stopped by credit's during non business hours and he has a little spot in the back of a judo gym.

btw, thanks for the PM with the links

phallus
06-14-2010, 11:29 PM
fraidycat lives in seattle, i don't know what gym he trains in, though

-The Glove-
06-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Nice to see some Washington heads in here.

Devils Advocate
06-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Nice to see some Washington heads in here.
I'm reppin Bellevue currently actually Newcastle but there is a gym in Redmond,Wa that is the serious truth. A little on the pricey side but its a kick ass cardio workout and you learn all the basic stuff. You have to prove you got the boxing fundamentals down before you can do some sparring but overall its a neat experience I went to a couple of classes to observe but I'm planning to join once I'm working again. Ring Sports United
http://www.ringsportsunited.com/
Boxing/Kick
www.ringsportsunited.com
1900 132nd Avenue Northeast
Bellevue, WA 98005
(425) 576-5300
Get directions - Feedback
Bus: NE 20th St & 132nd Ave NE

Open Mon 3:30pm-9pm; Tue-Thu 6:30am-9pm; Fri 6:30am-8pm; Sat 10am-1pm

GrandpaBernard
06-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm reppin Bellevue currently actually Newcastle but there is a gym in Redmond,Wa that is the serious truth. A little on the pricey side but its a kick ass cardio workout and you learn all the basic stuff. You have to prove you got the boxing fundamentals down before you can do some sparring but overall its a neat experience I went to a couple of classes to observe but I'm planning to join once I'm working again. Ring Sports United
http://www.ringsportsunited.com/
Boxing/Kick
www.ringsportsunited.com
1900 132nd Avenue Northeast
Bellevue, WA 98005
(425) 576-5300
Get directions - Feedback
Bus: NE 20th St & 132nd Ave NE

Open Mon 3:30pm-9pm; Tue-Thu 6:30am-9pm; Fri 6:30am-8pm; Sat 10am-1pmHow much are the dues there? It doesn't say anything about it on the site.

Dirt
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
a guy i know goes to RSU. he said it's alot cheaper than Cappys, which i think is pretty expensive.

Journeyman
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
yea cappys is expensive but imo the best bet for the kind of competition/exercise your looking for

kryo
06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
If you aren't looking to compete then Cappy's is your best bet.. you will still have the option if you want, as Cappy frequently brings fighters to shows, but you won't be pressured into it like you would at most other gyms.

Surprised no one has said anything about White Center PAL.. puts on shows 2-3 a year and has had a decent amount of fighters flow through there.. Rob Diezel (best 125lbs fighter in WA for a while.. GG Winner and now pro), David Imoesiri (best 201 fighter in WA for a LONG time.. GG Winner 3 times, fought at nationals twice now and beat Hasim Rahman's kid.. going pro), etc.

Dirt
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM
If you aren't looking to compete then Cappy's is your best bet.. you will still have the option if you want, as Cappy frequently brings fighters to shows, but you won't be pressured into it like you would at most other gyms.

Surprised no one has said anything about White Center PAL.. puts on shows 2-3 a year and has had a decent amount of fighters flow through there.. Rob Diezel (best 125lbs fighter in WA for a while.. GG Winner and now pro), David Imoesiri (best 201 fighter in WA for a LONG time.. GG Winner 3 times, fought at nationals twice now and beat Hasim Rahman's kid.. going pro), etc.

On the website it says they only teach mainly youth 9-17 years old

kryo
06-21-2010, 03:56 AM
On the website it says they only teach mainly youth 9-17 years old

You're right, they mainly do teach youth, but that's because they want the gym to remain free.. if you show up and have the drive, perseverance, and don't *****/complain, you will fit in well and given every opportunity available.

Golden-Gloves
06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
a guy i know goes to RSU. he said it's alot cheaper than Cappys, which i think is pretty expensive.

I also attend RSU, who do you know there?