View Full Version : Have you guys tried Kickboxixng before...

boxingking500
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
i was wondering if anyone of you guys tried kickboxing in it before................

if you still train in it, you did train in it in the past, but then moved to regular boxing....

tito_bandito
06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
The stances are different in kick boxing you leave yourself more open in order to balance a kick...it's kind of different but I hate kicking...so it depends what you like...

boxingking500
06-01-2010, 07:21 PM
The stances are different in kick boxing you leave yourself more open in order to balance a kick...it's kind of different but I hate kicking...so it depends what you like...

the stances are different, i know...im just wondering if any of you guys ever trained in it before...... or still train in it..

alot of people i know, training in boxing, have tried it before, but didn't like getting kicked, so they stopped......

Shanks
06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
yeah i train in kickboxing, used to train a bit in boxing but prefer kickboxing

ChowAce
06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I kickboxed in 2009 for 1 year, then switched to boxing. To me it seems like kickboxing requires no footwork and 2 guys are just walking each other down and kicking the **** out of each others legs and body.
Boxing is so much beautiful and is a sweet science.

bernardotelo
06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
look at it this way...legs are for walking, hands are for fighting. Got it?

dustinr.waters
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Until someone clinches you and knees you in the face.

I've trained Muay Thai and Boxing for a little over the past two years, have competed in 3 amateur MMA fights.

Obviously Muay Thai and Boxing are two completely different sports, and have two completely different approaches. If you just walk someone down trying to punch/kick in Muay Thai you will get obliterated, you must use angles and proper footwork. The footwork in Muay Thai is much different than Boxing, but trust me if you have no footwork and don't understand angles you will not have success in Muay Thai.

Also, Kickboxing & Muay Thai are not the same sport either. This discussion gets much deeper, but the main differences are in Muay Thai you can punch, elbow, knee, and kick anywhere on the body, except the groin however. Kickboxing, I believe you can't kick below the waist and there are no elbows. Not sure about the knees...

With all that said, nothing is better than watching a great boxing match or a fight in K-1. I believe Boxing & Muay Thai to be much more developed and mature sports than MMA, and completey different as well.

DiLLiNGER
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
look at it this way...legs are for walking, hands are for fighting. Got it?

imagine how strong you would be if you do the opposite.

NECK SNAPPER
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
combat sports are not won with angles kicks or punches they are won
in the mind see your self win and you will the better fighter wins there are
fighters from boxing that can blast out blk belts with one punch & kick boxers
that can beat boxers its all depends on the fighter the individual the mind set

j
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
i picked up kickboxing as a teenager. i like some of the base work, but some of what was offered as "self defence" was laughable. of course, i am not speaking for all instructors, but the one i met seemed a bit "off."

i picked up more nonformally from a guy who could scrap pretty well. combinations of basic punches and kicks works well in a fight, i can say that.

from there, i moved on.

TheManniePhresh
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
i did it for about 2 years in oregon it was fun the conditioning was the toughest part though just trading kicks to the mid section and inner thighs constantly but the 2 fights ive been in since then it has been effective

King of Sting
06-02-2010, 11:12 PM
the stances are different, i know...im just wondering if any of you guys ever trained in it before...... or still train in it..

alot of people i know, training in boxing, have tried it before, but didn't like getting kicked, so they stopped...... I no longer compete in any type of martial arts. But, I did start out with Muay Thai then boxing, training in both simultaneously.

I love Muay Thai but I was better with my hands.

I kickboxed in 2009 for 1 year, then switched to boxing. To me it seems like kickboxing requires no footwork and 2 guys are just walking each other down and kicking the **** out of each others legs and body.
Boxing is so much beautiful and is a sweet science.Nothing could be further from the truth. Boxers are able to move around more because they don't have to worry about gettin' kicked to the thighs.

What do you think Remy Bonjasky would've done to an Ali type of mover ? All that bouncin' around, Remy would've destroyed Ali's legs.

DiLLiNGER
06-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I prefer boxing but muay thai is definetly more complete..it's very good for the street..elbows and knees are vital when fighting close range and also the stand up grappling they're doing is helpful.

oniham
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Do what I did and pick up both, it'll only make you a more complete fighter.

venom1
06-03-2010, 02:29 PM
i dont know any good clubs that are cheap and near

G A M E
06-04-2010, 04:47 AM
im a boxer in a kickboxing gym... sometimes i do the fitness classes just for extras... the angles are very different and you need footwork... trust.

Ictus
06-04-2010, 06:57 AM
I used to box before, but i switched to kickboxing few years ago. Haven't regretted it, i feel like kickboxing is more suited for me.

KnockOutPuncher
06-04-2010, 04:54 PM
i do both....
boxing is really important for the footwork and movement..
u can just get better and better by doing both...
many pro boxers like vitali klitschko did kickboxing be4 they tunred into boxing..
Boxing is an olympic sport, so there's a lot more money than in kickboxing/Muay Thai
i love both sports

dangerousity
06-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I box but did some muay thai. I only box now because I dont see much point in concentrating your efforts into 2 different sports specially if you wanna be very good at 1 and compete at it. Seeing as I boxed before and much more experienced at it, I chose that, plus Im not the most flexible of people so not a kicker.

Jack3d
06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
The thing about kickboxing or MT is it's hard to find a gym/school that has legit instructors. Especially in the states. Holland and parts of Eastern Europe they are a dime a dozen

With that being said if you are trying to take classes solely for enjoyment or to get a good workout or for self defense. I think MT or Kickboxing is a no brainer.

I'd rather have 8 weapons than 2. It's simple mathematics and logic.