View Full Version : Do you think most Personal Trainers in Gym's are FRAUDS!

Earl Hickey
05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Thats the impression I get.

Ill give you an example, I recently paid 20 quid ($40?) for one hour of one on one Personal Training.

The guy who was doing it was ****. He didn't even look in shape himself and he had no idea how to push me, I would have had a better workout on my own, and then he only did 50 minutes, not an hour, and 10 mins of that was like talking at the start.

I just get the impression it's all a bit of a con to make big money. some places charge even more than 20 quid an hour

BOLLOCKS
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
You got pwned.

Earl Hickey
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM
You got pwned.

Serious though Loccy, that guy is onto something

I paid him 20 quid, he had 5 more sessions that day, thats 100 quid a day, plus he does like spin sessions, and makes all the fat middle aged beezies pay him to run around a field, he's making a lot of money to do **** all

BOLLOCKS
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM

I paid him 20 quid, he had 5 more sessions that day, thats 100 quid a day, plus he does like spin sessions, and makes all the fat middle aged beezies pay him to run around a field, he's making a lot of money to do **** all

Aye, you should try to get that job.

Clegg
05-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah, a friend of mine had one, and his 'guidance' was less worthwhile than simply sticking to the basics.

I guess some people like it because they lack confidence or need reassurance that what they're doing is correct, but in most instances a personal trainer is not really required.

BOLLOCKS
05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Boxers should train themselves.

Clegg
05-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Danny Williams trained himself for his last fight. Didn't work out :sad:

GymRat
05-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes. It's pretty sad, really. And it's fairly common, so much so that if I had to lay a percentage on it, I'd say at least 60% of trainers aren't legitimate, and the ones who are aren't available. At least we're not into Karate though. Now that's where fraud was invented.

King of Sting
06-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Yes. It's pretty sad, really. And it's fairly common, so much so that if I had to lay a percentage on it, I'd say at least 60% of trainers aren't legitimate, and the ones who are aren't available. At least we're not into Karate though. Now that's where fraud was invented.I'd say it's about 90% who are full of baloney. The ones that are considered legit fitness trainers are the ones with a BA or MA in Kinesiology or Physiology.

But the ones that are legit are the ones who charge a grip. I used to work for a high-end gym and some of the trainers had BA's in the areas I mentioned, but, they cared more about socializing rather than training their clients.

Oh, btw, Karate is far from being a fraud !

jonesy
06-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Yea i'd say 50% are phony, 25% know a bit - alright for a beginner and the other 25% know their stuff. It's all about finding the right gym and trainer. 9 times out of 10 if the gym is good, the trainers should be good as the trainers are usually the ones who make the gym reputable.

John Hue
06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I talked about this subject with a former female Miss Florida bodybuilder in a gym in Miami . She is a personal trainer and stronger than most men. She said when she trained guys properly they would get shattered and not come back. They just were not up to doing the work. Very few clients are. She had to tone down her training to keep clients, now her sessions are more low key and friendly. It is not how she wanted things to pan out and will train clients properly if they are up for it but that is very rare.

Banderivets
06-01-2010, 11:14 AM
GOod majority do not know what they are talking about.

With the internet I dont know why you would need one.

I think most personal trainers are for people who simply do not know what they are doing....I mean the type of people who ask how to use a chest fly....

It also kills me when you see a personal trainer showing how to do a dead lift or bench press with bad mechanics...People are busting their backs yet they think they are doing it correctly.

Toy Story 3
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't generalize all personal trainers because you had a bad experience with one. It all depends on the trainer you're working with. Some trainers just worry about cardio so they might not have muscle look or look in shape. There's big differences in a personal trainer that has a certification and got a job, and a personal trainer that has a degree in Exercise Science. Before you think about working with one, ask them what their education is. Personal trainers are good if you're looking to lose weight, gain muscle mass, or get stronger. They're not going to teach you on to be a better fighter because that's not what they specialize in. If you want to become a better fighter, that's all on the boxing trainers at the gym. And vise-Versa, how much do you think boxing trainers know about human anatomy and how our body works in detailed ?

Jack3d
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
It totally depends on which gym you go to. If it's the local YMCA or another type of "family friendly" or fatty friendly place like Bally's you'll get ****ty PT's.

Most of the PT's in these types of gyms get their certification in a matter of a couple months, sometimes even a few weeks. Of course this type of certification isn't very repuatable.

Try finding a gym that has a PT that is NSCA certified.

Danny Gunz
06-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Alot of trainers are frauds but there are good ones out there that can help alot.

Bullrush
06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
if you are extremely overweight or like 90 years old then yeah a personal trainer is helpful. but if you have done sport before, if you boxed before, weight lifting, whatever, you dont need these fruits to tell you what to do.

unless its one of those **** from hollywood that charge like 500.000 bucks for an hour these guys really know what theyre talking about

Fearless
06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Its the same **** everytime, curls, jump on this machine, that machine. Eventually every session seems like jumping on as many machines as possible within that time period.

You don't have to pay, just watch the PT's train other people and you'll learn just as much.

phallus
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM

Yeah, a friend of mine had one, and his 'guidance' was less worthwhile than simply sticking to the basics.

I guess some people like it because they lack confidence or need reassurance that what they're doing is correct, but in most instances a personal trainer is not really required.

I talked about this subject with a former female Miss Florida bodybuilder in a gym in Miami . She is a personal trainer and stronger than most men. She said when she trained guys properly they would get shattered and not come back. They just were not up to doing the work. Very few clients are. She had to tone down her training to keep clients, now her sessions are more low key and friendly. It is not how she wanted things to pan out and will train clients properly if they are up for it but that is very rare.

if you are extremely overweight or like 90 years old then yeah a personal trainer is helpful. but if you have done sport before, if you boxed before, weight lifting, whatever, you dont need these fruits to tell you what to do.

unless its one of those **** from hollywood that charge like 500.000 bucks for an hour these guys really know what theyre talking about

most trainers are just there for the money, it's easy to get certified, a two week class for about $250, when a guy i knew did it. i think most of them are just there for motivational purposes, and to not make u give up because the workouts are too hard, they want you to come back so they can take your money at least a few more times. i'm a boxing coach in the amateurs, and have taken my level 1 and 2 coaching theory, i thought about being a personal trainer but all the fat lazy people and the fact that now almost everybody would rather lose weight by taking a pill or using some electrical muscle rubbing machine made me decide it's a waste of money to get the certification. also it's boring, you stand around and watch other people train, that's why some trainers are fat, at least when i'm coaching i can train with them