View Full Version : Advantages and Disadvantages of Being a Southpaw

Hannibal Barca
05-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Anyone care to describe the advantages and disadvantages of being a southpaw?

Righthandbanger
05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
your liver is on your front side, so people can hit it

right hands will hit you easier

your padholders might not be as good at holding pads for you

you're probably left handed, so you smudge your own writing

advantages:

people will be scared to fight you

you will make guys looks awkward

you will be able to land your power hand easier

Right2TheTemple
05-28-2010, 02:24 AM
your liver is on your front side, so people can hit it

right hands will hit you easier

your padholders might not be as good at holding pads for you

you're probably left handed, so you smudge your own writing

advantages:

people will be scared to fight you

you will make guys looks awkward

you will be able to land your power hand easier
:You_Rock_ I really hate southpaws !!!! Lucky i have 3 sparring southpaw mates in my gym anytime.. the other guy is a real southpaw then the other two are converted orthodox LOL! we spar a lot but im not getting any better on fighting southpaws!! HAHA always awkward! but im not afraid to fight southpaws in real tournament!! :boxing:

FM3O
05-28-2010, 03:05 AM
One of the main things is as a Southpaw, you generally will fight orthodoc fighters, so you will likely be very comfortable with it where as orthodox fighters don't fight southpaws very often, so they tend to be less experienced.

I personally love fighting southpaws. Right hands all day :boxing:

Walt Liquor
05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
as southpaws, we are said to be more creative.

GoogleMe
05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Just don't throw that right uppercut at a southpaw.

F l i c k e r
05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Advantage: You will frustrate orthodox boxers by smothering their attack attempts.

Disadvantage: A good lead left hook will have it's way with you like Ben Roethlisberger.

as southpaws, we are said to be more creative.

What does that mean for us ambidextrous people? :lol1:

Double Jab
05-28-2010, 01:10 PM

You arent ambidextrous, you are left handed and you were forced to perform tasks with your right hand during school. Stop lying and go smudge your writing some more leftie.

Back onto southpaws though, they have much more practice against orthadox fighters than orthadox fighters do against southpaws. This includes circling and footwork, not to mention distance. You will have more practice hitting at the angles then your opponent will.

Disadvantage is though, your liver is like, right there. It hurts to gget hit, UGH. *switches back to orthadox*

F l i c k e r
05-28-2010, 01:30 PM
You arent ambidextrous, you are left handed and you were forced to perform tasks with your right hand during school. Stop lying and go smudge your writing some more leftie.

No, before going to school actually. Even then, I can do activities with either hand and I prefer the righthand. Hence, ambidextrous.... "right on both sides".

You just salty.

Double Jab
05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
No, before going to school actually. Even then, I can do activities with either hand. Hence, ambidextrous.... "right on both sides".

You just salty.

Uh huh, activities, sure. Get your mind out of the gutter Mr. Salty. You are sick.

F l i c k e r
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Uh huh, activities, sure. Get your mind out of the gutter Mr. Salty. You are sick.

lol, my mind is in he gutter? I never intended it to be an innuendo homme.

I ain't going back and forth with you. Good day maricon.

Walt Liquor
05-28-2010, 04:26 PM

you are very confused, you're not sure if you like boys or girls?

Joachim
05-29-2010, 02:24 AM
It's pronounced "orthodox"

cameronpaul
06-17-2010, 08:22 AM
i find when southpaw fights an orthodox fighter the fight seems to be more in and out than when both fighters are same stance. when your fighting a southpaw from orthadox your basically fighting a mirror image, so the game becomes more about timing and reactions more than technique. learn to fight both ways and learn from youtube, joe calzaghe, pacquiao, marvin hagler all good southpaws.

Bronsky
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm a natural southpaw and I have to completely disagree saying that timing overcomes technique. You must not be a fighter to say this. (I assume) because never have I once changed my style to basically a "tag, you're it" contest from what you're saying and I also love fighting on the inside as a southpaw. My assumption is that you are a spectator and commenting on what you see. When you're in an actual match/spar...what have you, anything can be done if you apply yourself, you're no automatically stuck in a position "just because". Don't get offended but, that's how it is. If you are a fighter and have these views then you need to broaden your game and if you're just commentating from what you see as a spectator then you are mistaken.

Edit: I do however agree that you should learn to fight on both stances. Even though I am a natural lefty Ive also been trained by my uncle to fight orthodox as you can see me in my avatar countering the southpaw jab with a straight right. That's me @ 135-138 sparring a 175lbr. I love sparring taller/Bigger fighters so I can improve my counters/inside game.