View Full Version : Taking up Boxing at 33

Living Legend
05-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Not new to the gloves, but I have never been taught how to box. Only lost one fight in my life and know that I am a very hard puncher. I want to train and lose like 90 lbs. I'm 5 ft 5 in and currently weigh 235, but I can run a mile in 10 minutes or less. I just want to really get back in shape and learn some sh*t to teach my sons properly. is this a pipe dream yes or no? I want to have atleast one amateur in my lifetime.

One more round
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Being 5''5 and 235 you would be nearly immobile, so I can't see you even walking a mile let alone running one in under 10 mins.

But as for being 33, yes you can still box and have a masters bout, which is for over 34 year olds.

jonesy
05-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Not new to the gloves, but I have never been taught how to box. Only lost one fight in my life and know that I am a very hard puncher. I want to train and lose like 90 lbs. I'm 5 ft 5 in and currently weigh 235, but I can run a mile in 10 minutes or less. I just want to really get back in shape and learn some sh*t to teach my sons properly. is this a pipe dream yes or no? I want to have atleast one amateur in my lifetime.

You only live once so do what you want to do. 33 is not old however you must be realistic. Boxing is not a game. First things first is getting in shape, secondly is learning how to box. At your age and current condition this will inevitably take time. Only after you accomplish these two goals can you then even begin to consider having a fight. I appreciate you wanting to learn some sh*t to teach your sons, this should be your first priority. Youre ambition of having an amateur fight is good motivation, but like i said be realistic and dont be too disappointed if it never happens. Give it a try, work hard and who knows.. Best of luck in boxing.

putaloco
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
before you even start with exercise begin to diet every single day. 33 is not too old for your goal

alexbr
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
It's cool. I took boxing at 33 myself. You seem to be realistic, not talking about career or anything, junst a will to learn how to box and acquiring something to pass on. Boxing will be good for you, I see no reason not to try.

As for age. Well... be prepared to advance slowly. Be prepared to take time off because of an injury here and there (I'm in a week-long hiatus due to shoulde rpain myself).

If you keep your pace, keep your goal, it'll work out for you. And there's a division startin at 34, as pointed above. I really believe you can get you fight(s).

Go on, keep us posted. Cheers!

P4PKING_2010
05-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Come back when you can run a mile in under 6. **** I could do 2 in 12. You sound well out of shape and with no experience of even a fight you will get murked in the amateurs.

Ner0
05-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Come back when you can run a mile in under 6. **** I could do 2 in 12. You sound well out of shape and with no experience of even a fight you will get murked in the amateurs.

Nice help, bellend.

Pac11
05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Your best bet is to find a trainer .Some might not want to take you on and some might .There is also boxing fitness classes and that in some gyms .Mines has 2 classes 1 for fitness and one for boxers .There's is alot older guys at the fitness class . It's mostly the same stuff .Find your local gyms and try and find a trainer .If not look for boxing fitness classes in your area to get started and get to know the basics and stuff then try a different approach once your in better shape .

jonesy
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM

**** off back to nsb ****sucker.

Bullrush
05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
well go ahead not sure whats there to argue about. i mean if you tried to become a world champion then yeah its probably too late but of course you can go train and become a good boxer. you can still box another 20-30 years if you want...just not at the pro level. that doesnt mean you cant start going to the gym and work out and train and spar and all that

Cuauhtémoc1520
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
You can box in the masters, something I was thinking of doing myself. At 5'5" and 235lbs, you are very heavy. You will need to lose a lot of weight because if you get in there with guys that are even 180lbs or above, you will get hurt.

I am trying to get down to 175 for the masters and I weigh 190 right now. Those dudes at 200+ are big boys you don't want to get in there with at 5'5". Most of them are over 6 feet easily.

You can do it but you will have to get your weight down dramatically.

Walt Liquor
05-28-2010, 05:27 PM
You can box in the masters, something I was thinking of doing myself. At 5'5" and 235lbs, you are very heavy. You will need to lose a lot of weight because if you get in there with guys that are even 180lbs or above, you will get hurt.

I am trying to get down to 175 for the masters and I weigh 190 right now. Those dudes at 200+ are big boys you don't want to get in there with at 5'5". Most of them are over 6 feet easily.

You can do it but you will have to get your weight down dramatically.

cuauht, how tall are you? im 190, trying to get to 180- im 5'11''

J.Dempsey
05-28-2010, 06:58 PM
there was some guy in my gym, must've been about 40, he stayed for about 6months but he did give everyone a run for his money, age is just a number, and like some1 said earlier u only get one life so do whatever you want to do! gdluck bro :boxing:

mushahadeen
05-29-2010, 01:20 AM

33 is old but it's better than 43 right? You don't want to still be wondering about this **** 10, 20, 30 years from now.

You only live once, go for it.

Right2TheTemple
05-29-2010, 02:59 AM

Youre really not a hard puncher because you have never been taught how to box :boxing:,and also about the 10 mile run.. if that 235kg is MUSCLE MAN then yes you can do that 10mins or less .. but if that's 235kg is only fat porkchop then no youre not telling the truth..anyways if you really want it,by proper training and diet .. 6 months or maybe 8 months of hardcore conditioning and skill training in boxing is just enough to lose 25kgs ..and youre ready to go as very explosive as boxers to fight amateurs!

Bullrush
05-29-2010, 05:42 AM
dude its 235 pounds not kilos. if he were 235 kilos thats close to 500 pounds im sure he wouldnt be able to walk let alone run if he was that heavy :D
also some people have good punching power without knowing how to punch properly. shavers didnt know **** about boxing yet when he was sparring somebody right after he took up boxing he killed people with his punching power even though they outboxed him.

and being short and heavy that means you should have good balance, leverage, more punching power. but it also has a lot of disadvantages that are way more important than having great instead of good punching power. those are the main things you need in boxing. like cardio, quickness, speed.

you gotta lose a lot of weight but once you take up boxing you will lose weight fast if you do it at least 3 times a week. also how is it possible you can run a mile in less than 10 minutes yet you are that overweight? nobody that runs a lot carries that much weight around (compared to your height)

Right2TheTemple
05-29-2010, 06:18 AM
dude its 235 pounds not kilos. if he were 235 kilos thats close to 500 pounds im sure he wouldnt be able to walk let alone run if he was that heavy :D
also some people have good punching power without knowing how to punch properly. shavers didnt know **** about boxing yet when he was sparring somebody right after he took up boxing he killed people with his punching power even though they outboxed him.

and being short and heavy that means you should have good balance, leverage, more punching power. but it also has a lot of disadvantages that are way more important than having great instead of good punching power. those are the main things you need in boxing. like cardio, quickness, speed.

you gotta lose a lot of weight but once you take up boxing you will lose weight fast if you do it at least 3 times a week. also how is it possible you can run a mile in less than 10 minutes yet you are that overweight? nobody that runs a lot carries that much weight around (compared to your height)

lol ! and also i see its 1 mile only .. hahah i typed 10miles :hitit: ... arggg and yeah i mean 235lbs

and back when i was 19 yrs old my weight was 187lbs im 5'6..when i run for 3 - 5 mins im starting to run out of gas and also my feet and my shin hurts,, the and i know you feel that too... now im 21 yrs and 64kgs ,the one that tires me now is going 1000mph in 4 rounds in a fight!

and sorry for my poor english im a filipino .. :boxing:

danny13
05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I actually just took boxing up at 32. I have always been an athlete and played lots of basketball and competed at a high level, but boxing is an interesting new challenge. The conditioning necessary to box is second to none. I have been working out hard for about 3 months and feel better than ever physically. I am 5-9 and started at 184, but am down to about 164 now and plan on losing more and fighting at 152 in an amateur bout in September. I have a long way to go though. Just picking up boxing is not that easy. It is a difficult sport.

I did my first sparring this week on Monday. It was really hard. I feel like I am in great shape, but only did 2 three minute rounds of sparring. The guy I sparred with was a little smaller and honestly I could probably destroy him in any sport, but he was definitely a better boxer than me. Being an exceptional athlete does not make you a boxer...Trust me, I caught a couple big shots from this kid and it made me second guess trying to box, but truth is I love it. It really motivated me to persevere and work harder. Boxing is a beautiful and challenging artform/science. Good luck! Keep us posted. Lose that weight and get in there and mix it up. Make sure you have a trainer and protect yourself at all times.

iceman1
05-29-2010, 03:05 PM
you can do it, age is just a number
and like many have said you only get one life utilise it well :)
good luck dude

Clint650
05-29-2010, 03:43 PM
IM 34 AND HAVE BEEN CONDITIONING IN A BOXING GYM SINCE JAN. I LOVE BOXING AND I ALWAYS HAD A PUNCHING BAG/ SPEED BAG GROWING UP, BUT NEVER TRAINED TO FIGHT. I FEEL I'M TOO OLD TO THINK ABOUT FIGHTING, BUT SINCE I'VE LOST WEIGHT AND HAVE ALREADY REACHED MY FIRST GOAL (WHICH WAS TO GET BELOW 200 LBS- iM CURRENTLY 6' 198LBS, WAS 217 A FEW MONTHS BACK) I SET NEW GOALS TO REACH 185 IB AND I THINK AT THAT WEIGHT I WOULD BE GOOD TO GO. BOXING AS REALLY MOTIVATED ME TO STAY IN THE GYM.