View Full Version : Did Joe Frazier Duck The Big Punchers of His Era?

The Beatles
05-16-2010, 05:23 AM
The Biggest Punchers of His Era

George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Mac Foster
Ken Norton
Sonny Liston
Cleveland Williams

From the 7 names listed above Frazier only fought Foreman. Taking into account that Foreman was a relative unknown when Frazier first fought him and was seen as a sort of tune-up fight to a rematch with Ali. Frazier himself has admitted several times in interviews that he didn't know Foreman could hit that hard.

Well? Did Frazier's promoters and managers purposely avoid matching him with the Big Hitters?Was Frazier unsure of his chin after he was floored twice by Oscar Bonavena?

Toney616
05-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Futch and Durham didnt want Joe to go anywhere near Foreman, but he refused to listen to them. Futch basically said that Foreman was simply to big for Joe

But Joe did fight Foreman twice, so I would have to say I dont think so. Maybe someone more knowledgable on the matter can add something to this thread

boxing boy
05-16-2010, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=The Beatles;8391909]The Biggest Punchers of His Era

George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Mac Foster
Ken Norton
Sonny Liston
Cleveland Williams

From the 7 names listed above Frazier only fought Foreman. Taking into account that Foreman was a relative unknown when Frazier first fought him and was seen as a sort of tune-up fight to a rematch with Ali. Frazier himself has admitted several times in interviews that he didn't know Foreman could hit that hard.
.................................................. ..............................................

Norton and Frazier were real good friends and agreed to never fight each other.

Sonny Liston was before Joe Frazier.

Cleveland Williams was before Joe Frazier.

Frazier fought George Foreman.

Joe Frazier was buzy fighting Muhammad Ali 3 times,and Foreman twice when you mention the other names.

Frazier would fight anybody at anytime,and liked fighting bigger and harder hitting fighters.This is a fact.

prinzemanspopa
05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
It's true,frazier spent his entire career ducking and avoiding the big punchers.

Cleveland Williams is a poor example because other than Ali giving him a payday and Mac foster using his name to further his career,Williams was literally shot and no longer a top fighter after his shooting.

frazier avoided fighting rising contender Mac foster and Leotis Martin.Martin had sparred with frazier in the past and besides frazier,was the best heavyweight in Philadelphia.

You could excuse frazier had these men been some kind of journeyman,but the fact was that these men were all ranked within the top ten at one point.

frazier was a cherry picker, and both Durham and futch knew that he couldn't take a punch so they avoided virtually every puncher of his generation.

It's disgusting that his leech is regarded as an ATG.His claim to fame is sporting an ever solid 1-4 record to the best fighters he ever fought.

boxing boy
05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
It's true,frazier spent his entire career ducking and avoiding the big punchers.

Cleveland Williams is a poor example because other than Ali giving him a payday and Mac foster using his name to further his career,Williams was literally shot and no longer a top fighter after his shooting.

frazier avoided fighting rising contender Mac foster and Leotis Martin.Martin had sparred with frazier in the past and besides frazier,was the best heavyweight in Philadelphia.

You could excuse frazier had these men been some kind of journeyman,but the fact was that these men were all ranked within the top ten at one point.

frazier was a cherry picker, and both Durham and futch knew that he couldn't take a punch so they avoided virtually every puncher of his generation.

It's disgusting that his leech is regarded as an ATG.His claim to fame is sporting an ever solid 1-4 record to the best fighters he ever fought.

You say his claim to fame is sporting an ever solid record to the best fighters he ever fought.

Nice way of putting it.How about saying it this way....Frazier only lost to two fighters in his carreer,Muhammad Ali(The greatest heavyweight of all-time),and George Forman(A top 5 all-time Heavyweight champion).

Frazier's 1-4 record was one win over the greatest heavyweight of all-time! Two losses to the greatest fighter of all-time,fighting him very close in the 2nd and 3rd fights.You don't mention that,do you? Then the other two losses to a top 5 heavyweight of all-time,who was the hardest punching heavyweight champion of all-time!

Muhammad Ali beat Mac Foster,and Joe Frazier beat Muhammad Ali.Joe Frazier would have cleaned Fostor's clock.

Frazier beat up Martin in sparring,and was leap years better than Martin.

Frazier couldn't take a punch? What are you smoking? George Foreman was the hardest punching heavyweight of all-time! Frazier only had 10 pro fights,and was only fighting a little over a year in the pro's when he got dropped by Bonevena.Muhammad Ali(Who could take the best punch of all-time)was dropped early in his carreer against Sonny Banks,and again by Henry Cooper.Both could not punch like Bonevena.

Lets deal in facts my man.

r.burgundy
05-16-2010, 12:45 PM

George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Mac Foster
Ken Norton
Sonny Liston
Cleveland Williams

Well? Did Frazier's promoters and managers purposely avoid matching him with the Big Hitters?Was Frazier unsure of his chin after he was floored twice by Oscar Bonavena?

i think he shouldve fought 4 off that list.he shouldve fought foster,lyle,shavers and norton.liston was well past it by the time a fight couldve been made,williams was past it also and quarry had beat foster so i'll go joe the benefit bein as how he fought quarry

Joeyzagz
05-16-2010, 12:50 PM
There are at least 12 solid decades of boxing in the History books.

So if you are making a top ten, its kind of hard putting the 3rd best guy of a single decade on that list.

There are 2 guys clearly better than Frazier in the 1970's, I never understood how people could rank someone an top ten who never even ruled there own era.

MexicanMauler
05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Futch and Durham didnt want Joe to go anywhere near Foreman, but he refused to listen to them. Futch basically said that Foreman was simply to big for Joe

But Joe did fight Foreman twice, so I would have to say I dont think so. Maybe someone more knowledgable on the matter can add something to this thread

i wat'd
then wat'd again

boxing boy
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
There are at least 12 solid decades of boxing in the History books.

So if you are making a top ten, its kind of hard putting the 3rd best guy of a single decade on that list.

There are 2 guys clearly better than Frazier in the 1970's, I never understood how people could rank someone an top ten who never even ruled there own era.

Frazier fought in the best era of Heavyweight fighters!

Of course he couldn't rule his era when the greatest heavyweight of all-time fought in his era.

And he fought him on even terms and beat him.

His other loss was to the hardest punching heavyweight of all-time.Who is a top 5 heavyweight of all-time.

You wouldn't rank him in the top 10 because he fought the greatest heavyweight fighter of all-time on even terms over 3 fights,and beat him! And lost to a top 5 heavyweight of all-time?

boxing boy
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
i think he shouldve fought 4 off that list.he shouldve fought foster,lyle,shavers and norton.liston was well past it by the time a fight couldve been made,williams was past it also and quarry had beat foster so i'll go joe the benefit bein as how he fought quarry

Frazier and Norton were close friends and agreed to never fight.A good thing for Ken Norton.

He was buzy fighting the greatest heavyweight of all-time 3 times when you say he should have fought fostor,lyle,shavers,and norton.I already explained why he didn't fight Noerton.Frazier would have brutaly beat Fostor and Lyle.Only Shavers would have a chance on your list.

r.burgundy
05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Frazier and Norton were close friends and agreed to never fight.A good thing for Ken Norton.

He was buzy fighting the greatest heavyweight of all-time 3 times when you say he should have fought fostor,lyle,shavers,and norton.I already explained why he didn't fight Noerton.Frazier would have brutaly beat Fostor and Lyle.Only Shavers would have a chance on your list.

i agree he wouldve steam rolled norton also but no way in hell he steam rolls lyle.and just cause your the greatest doesnt mean your the most dangerous.as george an bonaneva showed us,joe was vulnerable to a big punch,and there are a hell of alot more dangerous fighters than ali

and what do you mean he was busy fighting ali 3 times.in between those 3 ali fights he fought 6 times lol.

prinzemanspopa
05-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Muhammad Ali beat Mac Foster,and Joe Frazier beat Muhammad Ali.Joe Frazier would have cleaned Fostor's clock.

Frazier beat up Martin in sparring,and was leap years better than Martin.

Muhammad Ali beat Mac foster because Muhammad Ali,like Jerry Quarry had the guts to fight Mac foster.

Whether frazier would have "cleaned fosters clock" is irrelevant,because frazier never had it in him to step into the ring with him.

Neither you nor I were there to witness these sparring sessions.

Regardless,Martin was a top ten contender and the best heavyweight in the city bar frazier.

A logical matchup would have been Martin against frazier but frazier wanted nothing to do with the puncher unfortunately.

Frazier couldn't take a punch? What are you smoking? George Foreman was the hardest punching heavyweight of all-time! Frazier only had 10 pro fights,and was only fighting a little over a year in the pro's when he got dropped by Bonevena.Muhammad Ali(Who could take the best punch of all-time)was dropped early in his carreer against Sonny Banks,and again by Henry Cooper.Both could not punch like Bonevena.

The difference is that Ali would later prove that he could take a punch.He fought many devastating punchers and took their greatest blows to the cranium,rarely even visiting the canvas.

frazier got put down six times in two rounds by the first and only puncher that he ever fought and then never stepped into the ring with another puncher until a rematch where he was once against crushed by foreman.

boxing boy
05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
i agree he wouldve steam rolled norton also but no way in hell he steam rolls lyle.and just cause your the greatest doesnt mean your the most dangerous.as george an bonaneva showed us,joe was vulnerable to a big punch,and there are a hell of alot more dangerous fighters than ali

and what do you mean he was busy fighting ali 3 times.in between those 3 ali fights he fought 6 times lol.

Do you know that when Frazier fought Bonevena he had only been fighting as a pro for about 1 year? Are you aware he only had 10 pro fights? Talk about being green! Foreman was the hardest punching heavyweight champion of all-time!

Joeyzagz
05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Frazier fought in the best era of Heavyweight fighters!

Of course he couldn't rule his era when the greatest heavyweight of all-time fought in his era.

And he fought him on even terms and beat him.

His other loss was to the hardest punching heavyweight of all-time.Who is a top 5 heavyweight of all-time.

You wouldn't rank him in the top 10 because he fought the greatest heavyweight fighter of all-time on even terms over 3 fights,and beat him! And lost to a top 5 heavyweight of all-time?

This is a good argument for Frazier. The fact that his only losses were to top 5 ATGs puts him in a class of his own. Even Ali lost to Spinks, Foreman lost to Young, Frazier never lost to a scrub.

But the reason I can not put him top ten is because their were so many greats of other eras like Sam Langford in the 00's, Johnson in the teens, Dempsey in the 20's, so on, so on. After you get done with the best of each decade your left with, well where do I put Frazier?

carlos slim
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM
This is a good argument for Frazier. The fact that his only losses were to top 5 ATGs puts him in a class of his own. Even Ali lost to Spinks, Foreman lost to Young, Frazier never lost to a scrub.

But the reason I can not put him top ten is because their were so many greats of other eras like Sam Langford in the 00's, Johnson in the teens, Dempsey in the 20's, so on, so on. After you get done with the best of each decade your left with, well where do I put Frazier?

frazier only fought 30 times thats why! if he fought as many times as ali he wouldve got his ass handed to him more....

JAB5239
05-16-2010, 04:23 PM

George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Mac Foster
Ken Norton
Sonny Liston
Cleveland Williams

Frazier made the best fights possible. Liston and Williams were past it, and Shavers wasn't really relevant till the mid 70's and was proven to be inconsistent against top notch fighters. Besides, Joe was hemmed up at that time with his fights with Ali and Foreman. Both Foster and Lyle could have gotten a shot at Frazier but were soundly beaten by Jerry Quarry, who Frazier fought and beat twice. Some will say he should have fought them anyway. There are two problems with that though. First, when? Second, he was fighting better fighters than either.

mickey malone
05-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Frazier ducked nobody.. He took on all-comer's, big or small, punchers and stylists.. Gerry Quarry, Oscar Bonavena, George Chuvalo, Bob Foster, Ron Stander were all good punchers who were beaten by Frazier.. Ali had 37 KO's and shouldn't be underrated as a puncher either.. A young Frazier was able to mix it up with past primers, Eddlie Machen and Doug Jones after about only 12 or 13 fights, so he was far from fragile.. He was far from scared also, getting back in with Foreman proves that beyond any reasonable doubt.. Leotis Martin was only famous for starching an OAP version of Liston, and Mac Foster was beaten easily by Bugner, so what would a match against Frazier prove?. I believe Frazier would have outclassed and KO'd them both personally.

BennyST
05-17-2010, 12:55 AM
He fought Foreman, the biggest puncher and best fighter out of that lot, twice. So no.

sonnyboyx2
05-17-2010, 03:05 AM

George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Mac Foster
Ken Norton
Sonny Liston
Cleveland Williams

Joe Frazier heavyweight champion 1968-73 only Foreman was around in the era of Frazier, Liston was past it and the others was after Fraziers time with Shavers being destroyed by Jerry Quarry who Frazier fought twice their 1st fight being FOTY 1969

prinzemanspopa
05-17-2010, 12:13 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yn6KIwnQd2c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yn6KIwnQd2c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's not really difficult to understand why futch and durham would want to protect their delicate little flower though,is it?

frazier may not have even worked his way to a title shot had he been placed in the ring with a puncher earlier in his career.

boxing boy
05-17-2010, 03:48 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yn6KIwnQd2c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yn6KIwnQd2c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's not really difficult to understand why futch and durham would want to protect their delicate little flower though,is it?

frazier may not have even worked his way to a title shot had he been placed in the ring with a puncher earlier in his career.

I think we all agree that Foreman was the hardest punching Heavyweight Champion of all-time.

Frazier may not have even worked his way to a title shot had he been placed in the ring with a puncher earlier in his carreer? You have to be kidding me? After only fighting pro for about 1 year,and 10 fights he fought and beat hard punching Oscar Bonevena.He beat Bonevena again in a rematch.Frazier fought and cleaned out the Heavyweight division before knocking out Jimmy Ellis in 4 rounds to win the Heavyweight Championship of the World.

Please name these hard punchers he could have fought on his way to the Heavyweight Championship?

prinzemanspopa
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I think we all agree that Foreman was the hardest punching Heavyweight Champion of all-time.

Frazier may not have even worked his way to a title shot had he been placed in the ring with a puncher earlier in his carreer? You have to be kidding me? After only fighting pro for about 1 year,and 10 fights he fought and beat hard punching Oscar Bonevena.He beat Bonevena again in a rematch.Frazier fought and cleaned out the Heavyweight division before knocking out Jimmy Ellis in 4 rounds to win the Heavyweight Championship of the World.

Please name these hard punchers he could have fought on his way to the Heavyweight Championship?

No world class fighter with a chin gets put down six times in two rounds.foreman was the first puncher frazier ever fought and he was beaten and humiliated.

We don't know how frazier would have fared against other punchers.frazier only ever fought one puncher his entire career and his chin couldn't hold up either time.

frazier never,at any point in his career managed to clear out his division.He ducked the tournament to crown a new champion.All the best heavyweights bar frazier entered.

Ellis was coming off a very long layoff.

boxing boy
05-17-2010, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=prinzemanspopa;8403069]No world class fighter with a chin gets put down six times in two rounds.foreman was the first puncher frazier ever fought and he was beaten and humiliated.

We don't know how frazier would have fared against other punchers.frazier only ever fought one puncher his entire career and his chin couldn't hold up either time.

frazier never,at any point in his career managed to clear out his division.He ducked the tournament to crown a new champion.All the best heavyweights bar frazier entered.
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Are you aware that Frazier had a flat out offer to fight George Forman for 800,000 dollars,or Muhammad Ali for 5 million dollars in a rematch?

It really looks like Frazier avoided the big puncher?

Frazier did not enter the tournament that had Quarry and Ellis in the finals.Frazier destroyed both! He also beat Bonevena twice,who was in the tournament! He also destroyed unbeaten Buster Mathis. Frazier was superior to everyone in the tournament,and proved it! Your grasping at straws my friend. Keep coming up with some new ones old chap,lol

JAB5239
05-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Don't bother asking for a logical reason, you won't get one. I've already tore every argument up he could come up with. A simple time line explains why these fights he insists Frazier ducked, did not occur.

prinzemanspopa
05-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Was I aware that frazier ducked a rematch with Ali? Yes,of course.I have brought it up many a times.

foreman had been the number one contender to frazier's title for quite a while until frazier did eventually step into the ring with foreman.foreman really wasn't regarded that highly by the mainstream boxing media either.

I do hope that you are aware that frazier fought Quarry in july of 1969 and Ellis(coming off a long layoff) in february 1970.Quite a while after the tournament actually finished actually.

Mathis was not a top ten ranked contender.

mickey malone
05-18-2010, 12:59 AM
prinzemanspoper
No world class fighter with a chin, was ever able to get back up 5 times after getting put down six times in two rounds by foreman.. He was the 6th puncher frazier had fought and he was beaten, but not humiliated in the same way as Michael Moorer who remained plastered to the canvas after just one punch from the 45 year old Foreman.
Frazier had an incredible chin, and had it not been for the referee would have been quite prepared to die in there..

I took the liberty of correcting you on a couple of points..

prinzemanspopa
05-18-2010, 01:06 AM
prinzemanspoper
No world class fighter with a chin, was ever able to get back up 5 times after getting put down six times in two rounds by foreman.. He was the 6th puncher frazier had fought and he was beaten, but not humiliated in the same way as Michael Moorer who remained plastered to the canvas after just one punch from the 45 year old Foreman.
Frazier had an incredible chin, and had it not been for the referee would have been quite prepared to die in there..

Not sure why,did a rather poor job in trying to make your point to be honest.

That right hand that foreman clocked Moorer with was a hell of alot cleaner and delivered with greater impact than the glancing shots that managed to connect with frazier's glass jaw.

Six times in two rounds against the only puncher he ever fought and down eleven overall in just thirty seven fights.

mickey malone
05-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Not sure why,did a rather poor job in trying to make your point to be honest.

That right hand that foreman clocked Moorer with was a hell of alot cleaner and delivered with greater impact than the glancing shots that managed to connect with frazier's glass jaw.

Six times in two rounds against the only puncher he ever fought and down eleven overall in just thirty seven fights.
I'm afraid you've fallen on your sword.. The video evidence that you supplied, clearly shows Frazier getting hit with TWO monster right-hand uppercuts, that both land 100% flush.. The punch that took out Moorer was almost telegraphed in comparison; well of course it was, Foreman was a grandfather by then..

CarlosG815
05-18-2010, 01:46 AM
prinzemanspoper

:chairshot:chairshot

Nice, Mick :fing02:

prinzemanspopa
05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm afraid you've fallen on your sword.. The video evidence that you supplied, clearly shows Frazier getting hit with TWO monster right-hand uppercuts, that both land 100% flush.. The punch that took out Moorer was almost telegraphed in comparison; well of course it was, Foreman was a grandfather by then..

The video that I supplied shows frazier getting knocked down six times in two rounds.Most of the knockdowns came from grazing shots.

Michael Moorer was known for having a glass jaw.Nobody is delusional enough to argue that he had an "incredible" chin.

fighters with incredible chin's don't get knocked down six times in two rounds.fighters with great chins don't even get knocked down six times in their entire careers.

HaglerSteelChin
05-19-2010, 02:48 AM
The video that I supplied shows frazier getting knocked down six times in two rounds.Most of the knockdowns came from grazing shots.

Michael Moorer was known for having a glass jaw.Nobody is delusional enough to argue that he had an "incredible" chin.

fighters with incredible chin's don't get knocked down six times in two rounds.fighters with great chins don't even get knocked down six times in their entire careers.

If getting Knockdown 6 times in two rounds is bad what does that make someone who gets banned from a site 6 times and keeps coming back and trolling about?

fitnessten
11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
The accusation that Frazier ducked big punchers and then using the list provided is ridicolous! I followed boxing closely during this time period, maybe the 'golden era' of boxing because in Ali, Frazier and Foreman we had debatably 3 of the top 10 heavyweights (maybe the top 5) of all time. For Frazier to have ducked any of the above you would have to sure they had number one contender status during the time he was champion and NOBE of them were close! As pointed out Liston and Williams were not serious contenders when Frazier was peaking. Ken Norton and Leotis Martin were sparring partners of Frazier and neither was a big puncher. Frazier would have knocked out both because neither would have been able to hold their ground the way Foreman did and shove Frazier. Mac Foster?? Who the heck did her ever beat? He ran up his record on no name fighters and then when faced with his first true test he was destroyed by Jerry Quarry. Ron Lye also lost a lop side decision to Quarry and Earnie Shavers got knocked out ONE ROUND by Quarry. NONE of the above ever EARNED the right to fight Frazier! Apparently Jerry Quarry was the real puncher among the above as he cleaned out almost half of them only to be TWICED destroyed by Frazier! Lastly if Frazier really ducked big puncher why in the world did he ever fight Foreman in the first place? He didn't have to and if some of the nuts on this board were right he never would have. Frazier feared no one. As for the Foreman fight proving he could not take a punch, it really proved the opposite. Foreman was the hardest puncher of all time. Yet he couldn't keep Frazier down. Would Lennex Lewis, Joe Louis, or Jack Demspey (who got knocked out in 1 round by Gunboat Smith and out of the right by Luis Firpo) have gotten up 6 times?? I doubt it, Frazier took a better punch than any of them and a fighter of Frazier's style never even gets out of the Philly gym wars if he can't take a punch.

mrboxer
11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
no he did not duck the big punchers,he fought foreman,who was the only big puncher of the era,:boxing::boxing:

DET. IRONSIDE
11-09-2010, 09:43 PM
He fought George Foreman twice.

Ali didn't have the balls to make that happen.

BennyST
11-09-2010, 10:10 PM

George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Mac Foster
Ken Norton
Sonny Liston
Cleveland Williams

Definitely! Dude only fought the biggest and best HW puncher out of them all so that shows he definitely ducked all of them and never wanted to fight anyone with a big punch.

Really, Foreman wasn't even a big puncher anyway which is the only reason Frazier fought him. He just had such a glass jaw that it made Foreman look like the biggest, hardest puncher in heavyweight history. But, fighting Foreman means nothing if you don't fight all the guys who were **** compared to him. He should have fought all of the **** ones instead of Foreman to show that he didn't duck big punchers.

I mean, what's fighting Foreman in a rematch after you've been destroyed in the first fight mean? Nothing! That's what!

Greatest1942
11-10-2010, 12:56 AM
If getting Knockdown 6 times in two rounds is bad what does that make someone who gets banned from a site 6 times and keeps coming back and trolling about?

I will like to say here that anyone who would be likely to wade into Foreman had very little chance. Foreman's punches could drop anyone, that style of Frazier was suicidal against George. If he got real close then Fraziers superior infighting skills would be an advantage, but in the first fight George simply pushed him away, and made him fight at his optimum range.

Fraziers chin was okay, he did take some good punches. His style against Foreman was suicidal.