View Full Version : Rematch that should have, but never happened.

Colonel Jones
12-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Although I know they eventually fought at super welter, I think Hearns-Leonard should have happened alot quicker at welter.. But Leonard was being a difficult baby and said he first wanted Hearns to admit that he couldn't have won the first fight. Unlike Duran who immediatly gave him a rematch. Leanord waited to Hearns was a little older and got damn lucky to get a draw.(horrible decision.)

Mr. Violence
12-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Leonard Vs. Hagler II

foremanfan
12-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Foreman v Ali
Tyson v Douglas

BoxingPromoter
12-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Good topic. Here's my list:

1) Tyson-Douglas

2) Tyson-Williams(I dont think it will ever happen)

3) Ali-Foreman( Ali fought so many rematches in his career, why never Foreman)

foremanfan
12-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Good topic. Here's my list:

1) Tyson-Douglas

2) Tyson-Williams(I dont think it will ever happen)

3) Ali-Foreman( Ali fought so many rematches in his career, why never Foreman)
Foreman fought a really really stupid fight against Ali. With Frasier, Norton, Liston, Patterson and Spinks could you say that any of them made such a stupid mistake as Foreman had? Did Ali see their best. Could you honestly say that Foreman offered his best that night in Zaire?

Nick1998
12-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Vitili-Lennox II

Mr. Ryan
12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
The one I want to see the most is Azumah Nelson- Salvador Sanchez.

Mr. Violence
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Vitili-Lennox II

this can still happen

foremanfan
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
this can still happen
Might be a good thing if Vitali would win at least all the people that say that Vitali is thereal or linear champ would no longer be talking nonsense.

BoxingPromoter
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Foreman fought a really really stupid fight against Ali. With Frasier, Norton, Liston, Patterson and Spinks could you say that any of them made such a stupid mistake as Foreman had? Did Ali see their best. Could you honestly say that Foreman offered his best that night in Zaire?

What was so stupid that Foreman did? He punched Ali with everthing he had. What else could have George Foreman done to win this fight?

foremanfan
12-07-2004, 04:19 PM
What was so stupid that Foreman did? He punched Ali with everthing he had. What else could have George Foreman done to win this fight?
Foreman should have retreated from the ropes much as Holyfield did when he fought Holmes. Foreman wasted himself through throwing to many shots to early and didn't seem to mind that he was not always landing cleanly. Foreman should also have comlpained more to the ref about the illegal holding of the head down.

Tha Greatest
12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Vitali-lewis
tyson-williams
tszyu-judah
foreman-ali
hagler-leonard shouldn't cuz hagler won that fight
and hagler was SO DAMN old when he fought leonard
leonard always seems to fight ppl when they get old

Yogi
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm going way back in time for these, but a couple of rematches that should've been fought but weren't; James Corbett vs. Peter Jackson, and Jack Johnson vs. Sam Langford.

Two of the greatest black heavyweights from the early days should've had at least one opportunity to win the heavyweight championship.

Great
12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Tyson - Douglas
Kostya - Vince

Great
12-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Oscar-Felix
Oscar-Ike

jack_the_rippuh
12-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Recent...
Roy Jones Jr. vs. Bernard Hopkins
Julio Caesar Chavez vs. Pernell Whitaker

jpboxer3
12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
J.C Chavez vs Pernell Whitaker

Vitali Klitschko vs Lennox Lewis

cms
12-10-2004, 05:43 PM
what about frazier foreman II i would have loved frazier try to fight him again lol

grayfist
12-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Leonard- Hagler
La Porte- Zarate (Zarate went on a 7 year hiatus in disgust over having lost the fight in the cards)

Great
12-11-2004, 08:31 AM
what about frazier foreman II i would have loved frazier try to fight him again lol
1976. TKO in 5.

sssse
12-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Corbett-Sullivan ;)

BodysnatcherFan
12-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Hagler-Hearns 2
Leonard-Hearns 2, while both were at prime

BodysnatcherFan
12-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Also Corrales-Mayweather why hasnt it happened already? ****ing ridiculous and i dont blame Diego its either Floyd or promoters.

grayfist
12-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Hagler-Hearns 2
Leonard-Hearns 2, while both were at primeYes?! :confused: What?! :rolleyes: What?! :confused:

BodysnatcherFan
12-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Yes?! :confused: What?! :rolleyes: What?! :confused:
Why you confused? Please explain more i dont understand reply.

grayfist
12-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Why you confused? Please explain more i dont understand reply.You want a rematch for a REMATCH? You noted that you wanted the Leonard-Hearns 2 to be rematched! And you wanted that they be at their prime when they meet for the third time?!

Leonard first met Hearns on Sept 16,1981 at the Ceasars Palace; then they met again nearly 8 years later at the same venue (June 6, 1989). The latter was Leonard-Hearns 2. Both were 8 years older ( and cannot be at their prime) than they first met! And you wanted a REMATCH of that second meeting?! You indicated, a rematch of Leonard-Hearns 2!!!! And demanded that they be at their prime!!!

I don't get it! :rolleyes:

Does anybody?

loangunZ
12-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Vitali Klitschko vs Lennox Lewis but this time lewis comes in shape

BodysnatcherFan
12-16-2004, 11:58 AM
You want a rematch for a REMATCH? You noted that you wanted the Leonard-Hearns 2 to be rematched! And you wanted that they be at their prime when they meet for the third time?!

Leonard first met Hearns on Sept 16,1981 at the Ceasars Palace; then they met again nearly 8 years later at the same venue (June 6, 1989). The latter was Leonard-Hearns 2. Both were 8 years older ( and cannot be at their prime) than they first met! And you wanted a REMATCH of that second meeting?! You indicated, a rematch of Leonard-Hearns 2!!!! And demanded that they be at their prime!!!

I don't get it! :rolleyes:

Does anybody?
No you simply didnt read the post properly. The title of thread is "rematches that should have happened". I said Hagler-Hearns 2, and Leonard-Hearns 2 while both at primes. These are rematches that never happened. A v B 2 IS A REMATCH. If i had said what you think I would have had to say "A rematch of Leonard-Hearns 2", so therefore no you havent caught me out, and yes you are a smart-ass. Correction: wannabee smartass.

PacKillsMorales
12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Lennox Lewis Vs Riddick Bowe
they definately should of fought a rematch at pro level
after lewis beat bowe in the olympics (or wherever it was)

if tito trinidad never fights bernard hopkins again that too

grayfist
12-17-2004, 05:10 AM
No you simply didnt read the post properly. The title of thread is "rematches that should have happened". I said Hagler-Hearns 2, and Leonard-Hearns 2 while both at primes. These are rematches that never happened. A v B 2 IS A REMATCH. If i had said what you think I would have had to say "A rematch of Leonard-Hearns 2", so therefore no you havent caught me out, and yes you are a smart-ass. Correction: wannabee smartass. As pointed out earlier, Hearns and Leonard met twice. The first, in Septeember 16,1981 in what THE RING later proclaimed FIGHT OF THE YEAR. Leonard took that one via TKO 14. That was for the WBC/WBA welterweight titles.

The second fight, and thus, THE REMATCH, happened in June 12, 1989, this time for the WBC & WBO Super Middle titles. It was declared a draw, although Leonard fell twice: once in the 3rd and again in the 11th.

The title of the thread, as you pointed out, is "Rematches that should have happened" The Hearns-Leonard REMATCH happened! So it cannot stay in the realm of SHOULD HAVE...because it did!
If you wanted a third encounter, that is to say, you wanted a REMATCH OF A REMATCH, it's not exactly anything new. There have been several trilogies (and more). That's why I asked if you were asking for a rematch of a rematch? That while noting that the second fight took place some 8 years after the first, thus they could not have been in their prime.

As for Hearns-Hagler, they never met again. That's why I didn't comment on that. You could put it up as one you'd like to see a rematch of. It's your prerogative. But the way the first one ended (in the 3RD) could very well be the same in a rematch, should there have been one. If you want to watch that too, that's your choice.

So, you see, I may neither be such a "smartass" nor "wannabesmartass", after all, am I? ;)

leff
12-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Ali-Foreman i think George woulf beat him the second time as long as dont punch himself out again.

Klitschko-Lewis this might actually happen.

{BrownBomber}
12-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Good choice.U should post it as a fantasy fight.

freirui
12-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Vitali Klitschko vs Lennox Lewis

Tyson_Bit_Holyfields_Ear
12-19-2004, 01:57 AM
Ali - Foreman.

amaru
12-20-2004, 03:49 PM
naseem hamed vs kevin kelly

abdiel2k3
12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
naseem hamed vs kevin kelly
hmmm
interesting
that one very easily could go the other way in a rematch
but id still have to favor naz on that one

amaru
12-20-2004, 04:11 PM
hmmm
interesting
i would have to favour naz in the rematch too but i just loved the action of the fight, both got knocked down and the action was great. they shouldve got it on again :mad: , there first fight was still a great fight tho.

Atwa_66
12-20-2004, 08:50 PM
I hope to god we get to see Klitschko-Lewis
I know, everyone has different opinions on it (like any other fight)
But people are really one sided with Lewis or Klitschko
I think Vitali KOs Lewis, like he should've last time

phallus
12-23-2004, 11:15 PM
the rematch i'd like to see the most is RJJ - James Toney, but not at middleweight, at 175 or cruiser

gringo
12-24-2004, 05:09 PM
lupe pintor

trephination
12-25-2004, 09:45 PM
ali vs foreman

hambone
12-28-2004, 04:55 PM
foreman ali 2

slickhook
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Mercer vs Morrison 2

Dempsey 1919
03-08-2007, 01:12 AM
I'll just name one's that haven't been posted yet.

Joe Louis vs. Tommy Farr

Rocky Marciano vs. Archie Moore

Mike Tyson vs. Tony Tucker

Mike Tyson vs. James Tillis

Muhammad Ali vs. Doug Jones

Sonny Liston vs. Eddie Machen

Muhammad Ali vs. Jimmy Young

Ernie Terrel vs. George Chuvalo

Max Baer vs. James Braddock

... just to name a few.:cool:

Franko
03-08-2007, 06:43 AM
As pointed out earlier, Hearns and Leonard met twice. The first, in Septeember 16,1981 in what THE RING later proclaimed FIGHT OF THE YEAR. Leonard took that one via TKO 14. That was for the WBC/WBA welterweight titles.

The second fight, and thus, THE REMATCH, happened in June 12, 1989, this time for the WBC & WBO Super Middle titles. It was declared a draw, although Leonard fell twice: once in the 3rd and again in the 11th.

The title of the thread, as you pointed out, is "Rematches that should have happened" The Hearns-Leonard REMATCH happened! So it cannot stay in the realm of SHOULD HAVE...because it did!
If you wanted a third encounter, that is to say, you wanted a REMATCH OF A REMATCH, it's not exactly anything new. There have been several trilogies (and more). That's why I asked if you were asking for a rematch of a rematch? That while noting that the second fight took place some 8 years after the first, thus they could not have been in their prime.As for Hearns-Hagler, they never met again. That's why I didn't comment on that. You could put it up as one you'd like to see a rematch of. It's your prerogative. But the way the first one ended (in the 3RD) could very well be the same in a rematch, should there have been one. If you want to watch that too, that's your choice.

So, you see, I may neither be such a "smartass" nor "wannabesmartass", after all, am I? ;)

I think you have completely misunderstood the point that Bodysnatcherfan was trying to make, and that is that he would rather have seen the rematch between Leonard and Hearns happen a lot sooner.
Personally, Vitali - Lennox 2 doesn't really make sense to me if it were to happen. Lennox has stated that he will not come out of retirement to take that fight and i think that it is the correct decision. However, the fight holds great appeal due to the current state of the heavyweight division. IMO a prime Lewis sparks Vitali much the same as he did Galota...

Rematches that should have happened...

Roy Jones - James Toney.
Roy Jones - Bernard Hopkins.
Mike Tyson - Buster Douglas.
Mike Tyson - Mitch Green.
Oscar De La Hoya - Felix Trinidad.
Lennox Lewis - Ray Mercer.
Joe Calzaghe - Robin Reid!
Ricky Hatton - Kostya Tszyu.
Naseem Hamed - Manuel Medina.
Naseem Hamed - Kevin Kelley.
Naseem Hamed - Marco Antonio Barrera.
Marvin Hagler - Ray Leonard.
Marvin Hagler - Tommy Hearns.

I Could go on, but that'll do for now.

-Hyperion-
03-08-2007, 07:48 PM
the rematch i'd like to see the most is RJJ - James Toney, but not at middleweight, at 175 or cruiser

so toney could have a chance??????lol

RJJr p4p baddest 4eva baby!!!!!

now, seriously, james toney is one tough SOB the Jirov fight was ****ing badass i wouldve liked a rematch of that one.

ceboxer15
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I would've liked seeing:

1. Tyson vs. Douglas II
2. Ali vs. Foreman II
3. Hagler vs. Hearns II
4. Leonard vs. Hearns II (alot sooner)
5. Leonard vs. Hagler II
6. De la Hoya vs. Tito II
7. RJJ vs. Toney II
8. RJJ vs. B-Hop II
9. Vitali vs. Lewis II
10. Chavez vs. Whitaker

-Hyperion-
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
i would have liked to see

DLH own Tito again
RJJr beat Hop again
G-Man VS Benn 2(........i still cry for what happened.... but the fight was super, **** that referee)

Emon723
03-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Dela Hoya-Trinidad
Whitaker-Chavez
Leonard-Hagler
Pacquiao-Marquez- it may still happen
Jones-Hopkins
Lewis-Mercer
Lewis-Vitali Klitschko

KoolWillie
04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Corrales VS Castillo 3

Hydro
04-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Hagler-Leonard
Quartey-De La Hoya
Trinidad-De La Hoya
A third Chavez-Randall fight before they were decrepit old men

CletusVanDamme
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Hagler-Leonard
Quartey-De La Hoya
Trinidad-De La Hoya
A third Chavez-Randall fight before they were decrepit old men

Chavez pulled some bull**** taking on Randall after he was totally shot the same way he did with Meldrick Taylor. I have heard King was trying to make these bigger fights by waiting, but that seems like garbage to me.

DA1CATAS
04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Tyson douglass

eazy_mas
04-26-2007, 12:10 PM

That is a good fight Sanchez had alot of trouble with Nelson but I think Sanchez wasnt throwing as usually even if there was a rematch my guess Sanchez will win it.

The Troll
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Lennox Lewis Vs Riddick Bowethey definately should of fought a rematch at pro level
after lewis beat bowe in the olympics (or wherever it was)

if tito trinidad never fights bernard hopkins again that too[/B]

It s definitely a shame that fight never happened. I saw the amateur fight and it was a really weak stoppage but they do that in amateur boxing. If Lewis got into a sloppy brawl type fight with Bowe the way he did with Mercer and Marovic, Bruno etc he could definiitely lose.

Gemini531
04-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Leonard vs. Benitez
Dela hoya vs. trinidad
Hopkins vs. Forbes

Gemini531
04-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Rocky vs. Drago! LoL

RockyMarcianofan00
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Foreman v Ali
and
Tyson v Douglas are definitely up there

EliteSoldier
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Foreman v Ali

Theres a reason why Ali didn't give a rematch to Foreman. Foreman would have killed Ali in the ring and not played around this time. And I'll go with Lennox vs Vitali. That is one fight that needed a rematch.

hook42
05-12-2007, 03:17 AM
pernell whitaker v odlh
hagler v hearns

EliteSoldier
05-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Calzaghe vs Reid, to settle once and for all if it was a really bad night for Calzaghe or if Reid's style gives Calzaghe problems.

Mr. Violence
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Although I know they eventually fought at super welter, I think Hearns-Leonard should have happened alot quicker at welter.. But Leonard was being a difficult baby and said he first wanted Hearns to admit that he couldn't have won the first fight. Unlike Duran who immediatly gave him a rematch. Leanord waited to Hearns was a little older and got damn lucky to get a draw.(horrible decision.)

If you knew anything about boxing history you'd know that the rematch didn't happen immediately because Leonard suffered a detached retina after the first fight causing him to retire the first time. The doctors warned that if he continued fighting he risked going blind. That's why the rematch didn't happen immediately.

Dempsey 1919
05-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Theres a reason why Ali didn't give a rematch to Foreman. Foreman would have killed Ali in the ring and not played around this time.

:haha:....

bengidaro
05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Theres a reason why Ali didn't give a rematch to Foreman. Foreman would have killed Ali in the ring and not played around this time. And I'll go with Lennox vs Vitali. That is one fight that needed a rematch.

I'm not so sure about that. Ali brought a hole new element to the fight with Rope-a-Dope. Knowing about it going in is huge, but Ali was a great multi-faceted fighter. There were so many levels to him it would be very hard to beat him. There is a reason why Ali is the greatest and Foreman isn't.

sweetfights
05-26-2007, 02:12 PM
In would also have loved to have seen Ali vs Foreman 2!!
sweetfights

sleazyfellow
05-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Foreman in his new book again says he got funny water before the fight from dick saddler, I thought he wasnt bitter anymore about it? He says he didnt write it to sell books but to tell the truth.....doesnt look like the truth to me. He threw everything he had the first few rounds as usual, progressively got slower and slower, and was really tired by the 8th. A rematch would prolly go in alis favor too since he can last the 15 rounds.

Lazy Liberal
06-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Chavez vs Whitaker
Chavez vs Randall immediately after the second fight

porlie
06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Duran vs Buchanan II
Thats a fight that shouldve definitley happened. In my eyes it's a big black mark against Duran that it never.

aljon
06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
:haha:....

Notihng funny about what he said, if Ali/Foreman happened again, Ali would either win a very close decision or get KO'd in spectacular fashion... It's 50/50.

aljon
06-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Foreman in his new book again says he got funny water before the fight from dick saddler, I thought he wasnt bitter anymore about it? He says he didnt write it to sell books but to tell the truth.....doesnt look like the truth to me. He threw everything he had the first few rounds as usual, progressively got slower and slower, and was really tired by the 8th. A rematch would prolly go in alis favor too since he can last the 15 rounds.

Foreman could bang in the later rounds too, if he made adjustements second time around he'd probably beat Ali... It just happened to be Ali's night...

wmute
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
HAGLER-leonard

Konstantin
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
hmmm
interesting

Could have gone either way??? Naz hurt Kelly with every good punch he landed...

Dynamite76
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Weaver-Tillis, about a year down the road.

joseph5620
08-14-2008, 03:03 AM

Chavez-Randall 3, Chavez-Taylor 2, Holmes-Weaver 2 should have happened years before they did.

randy johnson
08-14-2008, 10:17 PM
You know what Foreman could of done differently against Ali? Not swing wild like a idiot and punch himself out

Yaman
08-14-2008, 10:28 PM
You know what Foreman could of done differently against Ali? Not swing wild like a idiot and punch himself out

That was his nature. He was that unskilled.

Jim Jeffries
08-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Ali/Foreman, Tyson/Douglas (Mike had 4 fights after Douglas before going to prison, Douglas waited 8 1/2 months before fighting Holy,) Tszyu/Hatton (with an unbiased ref, so Kostya could go out on a win,) Wlad Klitschko/Corrie Sanders (would've done wonders for Wlad's rep if he were able to pull off a win,) Roy Jones Jr/ Bernard Hopkins (at 168 catch weight while both still in their primes,) Hagler/Leonard (in a 20ft ring or less, 8 oz gloves.)

Unknown Champ
08-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Tito vs oscar 2 in their primes!!!!

Hagler★
08-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Leonard Vs. Hagler II

..... this was the first that sprung to mind

-MAKAVELLI-
08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
..... this was the first that sprung to mind

co-sign...SRL is a *****