View Full Version : Facing Ali - Fantastic Book

Red_Menace
06-19-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585748293/qid=1119211683/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1752197-5905534?v=glance&s=books

I really recommend this book. It's a very interesting look at the men who faced Ali. Just started reading it today, and I'm hooked. The author met with fifteen of the men who fought Ali, and constructed this book from the interviews. Each man gets his own chapter:

Tunney Hunsaker
Henry Cooper
George Chuvalo
Brian London
Karl Mildenberger
Joe Frazier
Jurgen Blin
Joe Bugner
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Chuck Wepner
Ron Lyle
Jean-Pierre Coopman
Earnie Shavers
Larry Holmes

Eken
06-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Gotta get that one! :)

Red_Menace
06-20-2005, 08:59 PM
I've read up to Jurgen Blin now. Really, the stories of some of these guys are really interesting. After reading this, you'll be hard pressed to call any man that steps into the ring with a professional fighter a "bum", even if they get wiped out in the first round.

Yogi
06-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I have that book and have read it on a couple of occasions. I've also read numerous other boxing books in my lifetime (including a bunch on Ali), and I can't say I was overly impressed with 'Facing Ali'...It's a pretty average read if you ask me, especially when you consider that vast amount of great literature that's available on this great sport.

Among other books, Peter Heller's 'In This Corner' is ten times better than Stephen Brunt's 'Facing Ali', in my opinion.

Heller's book is one that I'd always highly recommend to any boxing fan that wants to read some great stories about some famous andf great boxers of the past.

BoxingPromoter
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I though Facing Ali was a fun and informative read on the lesser known opponents that fought Ali like Blin, Pierre-Coopman, Hunsayer,etc.

Have any of you guys heard of a book like this on Mike Tyson's opponents? I Can't find it anywhere.

NiGe2011
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
I liked Facing Ali alot as well. I picked it up when I was taking a red-eye home from Vegas and while I did not read much on the plane before I passed out, I really enjoyed it after I had gotten some rest. I flinched a little during the Joe Fraizer section, I would like to think of Joe a little more kindley then his words will allow me too. But I suppose we enjoy fighters for what they do in the ring and not out of it. It is just a pity that Sonny Liston is not still around to have contributed to the book, I would have especially liked to hear what he had to say.