View Full Version : Treadmill or Road

Brotherfromthehoods
12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I tend to do my cardio on the treadmill, havent done much on the raodz, is this a good thing or bad. Which would u say is better?.
I also feel as tho if i did try to do some outdoors i wudnt push myslef hard enuff cos i wudnt have the time to look at as on a treadmill so kno how much i've done and how much i'm pushing myself becouse on a treadmill its easier for me to keep speed on 9 then for a minute then push it up to 12 for a minute then back down etc n be accurate but on street u cnt tell time unless u keep lookn at watch which puts u off kinda...need advice-shud i start doing running on street n if so give me the best way of doing it...

respect.

roXy graziano
12-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I'd recomend running outdoors. The thing about a treadmill is that it's really plain, there's nothing thrown in and like you said it's at a constant speed.

When your running on the street, your body I think gets pushed more because it's harder to run on a really hard surface, you have ups and downs on the road, and plus you can control how fast you go. For example before I'm done when I think I can't run anymore I do a nice sprint

If you get bored running the street then I have some suggestions, first mix up your routine. Look at the topic I posted on best thing to eat before cardio, there's some great running routines in there. If you mix it up a little (run at different paces) you won't get as bored.

Carry a watch. You can see how much time has passed if that helps
Bring a walkman. Listening to music when you run can be good because you get focused on the music and your not thinking about how much further you have

Best of all, run somewhere that has some variety. I think it's easier when I run down the city street where I recognize the stores, stoplights, different streets, it gives you checkpoints kind of. Instead of thinking "oh god how much longer" your thinkin "oh hey I'm in the 1200 block, not that much longer" I dunno, it works for me

elveiel
12-04-2004, 03:25 PM
I tend to do my cardio on the treadmill, havent done much on the raodz, is this a good thing or bad. Which would u say is better?.
I also feel as tho if i did try to do some outdoors i wudnt push myslef hard enuff cos i wudnt have the time to look at as on a treadmill so kno how much i've done and how much i'm pushing myself becouse on a treadmill its easier for me to keep speed on 9 then for a minute then push it up to 12 for a minute then back down etc n be accurate but on street u cnt tell time unless u keep lookn at watch which puts u off kinda...need advice-shud i start doing running on street n if so give me the best way of doing it...

respect.

Both are good, it depends! if its too cold outside use the treadmill, if its a nice day run outside.

Its very important to have a treadmill on a slight incline, a couple of percent will do!! if you dont you will struggle changing from treadmill to road.

jack_the_rippuh
12-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Both are good, it depends if its too cold outside used the treadmill, if its a nice days run outside.

Its very important to have a treadmill on a slight incline, a couple of percent will do!! if you dont you will struggle changing from road to treadmill.

I agree, but a very flat treadmill feels funny to run on, so it almost feels natural to incline it..

elveiel
12-04-2004, 06:15 PM
I agree, but a very flat treadmill feels funny to run on, so it almost feels natural to incline it..

Its funny at the gym, i see some people holding the rail whilst using the treadmill, its hard to explain but its like their just jumping on the spot!! :D

If you want a powerful run you have to use incline.

tommo
12-04-2004, 07:16 PM
nothing beats the old road

Brotherfromthehoods
12-05-2004, 02:51 AM
if i ran outside how long should i run for?...how long do u guys jog or run for-and switch it up etc...how many days a week do u guys do cardio?

elveiel
12-05-2004, 03:00 AM
if i ran outside how long should i run for?...how long do u guys jog or run for-and switch it up etc...how many days a week do u guys do cardio?

I dont set a time limit, i find a good route and run it as fast as i can, improving my my times as much as possible. when you can run the route fast, increase the distance.

You need to run at a good pace because slow jogging isnt much better than walking. Boxing is about explosive movement, you need to run powerful!!

leff
12-05-2004, 07:49 PM
The road is the best, but the mill is better than not running,

why on earth does people pay to run on a mill anyway if its not because of hte weather?

rsl
12-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Hands down the outdoors, I mean I've lived in cold areas where you pretty much would want to stay in a controlled environment. I mean during the winter season, I'd say I use the treadmill 3 months straight, and man once the cold season winds down and you start to run outdoors again, keep in mind that I've been doin' cardio indoors for 3 straight months, so I'm feeling pretty good about being in - shape during the winter time and running the same exact distance outdoors, I found myself more exhausted, ' cause even if there's little wind resistance outside, it makes a difference and also another thing your mind is working cause of traffic and maybe pedestrians. I've pretty much avoided running on the streets, ' cause my shin splints starts to act up. So it's pretty much runnin' trails, a local track, or the gym where the surfaces have more " give ". Running on the treadmill makes me feel like a hamster, running on that d@mn wheel, alongside smelly people.

Tha Greatest
04-10-2005, 04:13 PM
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE treadmills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and I like to run by myself, not with anybody in my gym
It doesnt motivate me, it bores the **** out me

I got diff routines

theres a routine I take on the streets that's exactly 2 miles and one thats 3 miles

It's exactly 2 or 3 miles from my doorstep:D

I usually mix up my routes

I love running on the streets, I use to hate it, but i love it, especially in the mornings at 5:30, I love roadwork, I will be startin it tommorrow morning, I have a stop watch and I'm always tryin to beat a certain time, so if i see I'm behind I run faster...

Lets say I wanna run 3 miles in 21 minutes and I got a half mile left to run in only 1 minute, then I shall speed it up, treadmill pisses the **** out of me!!1

If I got a free treadmill, I would still run outside, it's what the greats did, and I will be one of them, so I run the streets...with my red hoodie, black running shoes, black sweat pants, u see that guy runnin at 5:30, then that's me

akins12732
04-10-2005, 04:23 PM
the road hurts your feet as well as any hard surfaces too much running on hard surfaces can cause shin splints and if you do not treat shin splints if can result in surgery

random guy
04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
i do my lsd running out side and my sprints and stuff on a treadmill

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Don't assume those guys did not pay for that roadwork later.

FWIW, Randy Couture, who has arguably the best conditioning in NHB at 40 yrs old, says he tried to do his cardio only indoors, to avoid injuries related to high impact running on hard surfaces.

It looks like you are a youngster. Some people can get away with things others can't. The thing is, do you really want to gamble on whether you are one of the luckiest ones, when you are probably somewhere closer to the middle?

Why not split it up? Run some days, but find an indoor cardio thing that you like, that you can use to reduce the amount of damage you do to your body?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, for example, is devastating cardio. Even a well conditioned boxer will likely puke, or come close to it, the first time he goes, say, 10 full minutes on the mat.

Tha Greatest
04-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Don't assume those guys did not pay for that roadwork later.

FWIW, Randy Couture, who has arguably the best conditioning in NHB at 40 yrs old, says he tried to do his cardio only indoors, to avoid injuries related to high impact running on hard surfaces.

It looks like you are a youngster. Some people can get away with things others can't. The thing is, do you really want to gamble on whether you are one of the luckiest ones, when you are probably somewhere closer to the middle?

Why not split it up? Run some days, but find an indoor cardio thing that you like, that you can use to reduce the amount of damage you do to your body?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, for example, is devastating cardio. Even a well conditioned boxer will likely puke, or come close to it, the first time he goes, say, 10 full minutes on the mat.

I forgot to mention, almost the whole route I run is grass lol
like 80% grass

akins12732
04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah running on grass is not harmful to your feet just roads and hardwood gym floors etc. are

itsbusdriver
04-10-2005, 05:29 PM
yeah running on grass is not harmful to your feet just roads and hardwood gym floors etc. are

actually.. hardwood floors and roads are harmful to the knees.. not the feet..

Tha Greatest
04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
actually.. hardwood floors and roads are harmful to the knees.. not the feet..

I usually run on the grass though like 75% of the way
I'm 5'8 136 pounds tryin to get to 132 so i got very little weight on my knees etc.

ericcasper
04-16-2005, 11:42 AM
you are supposed to hold onto the bars of the treadmill so your spine doesn't get as much shock. The constant up and down jarring is really bad on your disks. Just another way to keep yourself from getting wore out in the long run.

I do all my running in my living room. I will put on a movie and watch it while running. keeps my attention better, and before ya kno it ya ran for 45 minutes.

Bubba3000
04-16-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm a 33 year old heavyweight, and I've destroyed my knees from roadwork and so much skipping on concrete and hardwood floors. And the reason I stopped boxing is because I tried to keep training through shin splints and nearly crippled myself, so I had to take a few months off from training until they healed fully. Now I'm about 20 pounds too heavy and I feel like a pig. I'm starting to train again (probably not for the ring, but to get back to fight weight anyway), and I'm alternating days running and swimming to give my knees a break.

As someone said before me, you will PAY for any abuse to your knees when you're older. It sucks.

Tha Greatest
04-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a 33 year old heavyweight, and I've destroyed my knees from roadwork and so much skipping on concrete and hardwood floors. And the reason I stopped boxing is because I tried to keep training through shin splints and nearly crippled myself, so I had to take a few months off from training until they healed fully. Now I'm about 20 pounds too heavy and I feel like a pig. I'm starting to train again (probably not for the ring, but to get back to fight weight anyway), and I'm alternating days running and swimming to give my knees a break.

As someone said before me, you will PAY for any abuse to your knees when you're older. It sucks.

True

ya u can swim, or ride a bike which is fun as well...
That's why I make sure I run on grass whenever possible

cgoro
04-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I think the outdoors would be alot better I run a little of both myself.

mickst3r
04-17-2005, 01:17 AM
f00tball field, park, or track!!!!!!!!!!!1 road's to hard on feet... but i hate running on a treadmill... i feel like i don't have to work as hard cuz i'm not propelling myself forward and theres no wind resistance

12 Gauge Shotty
04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah when im running on a treadmill i dont feel like im working hard enough or running fast enough besides i like running outdoor cus u get well fit and if ur damn lazy u can get of the treadmill fast but if ur on the road no going back 4 fattys :p

12 Gauge Shotty
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
yeah me too i like running outside

Patron_of_Wrath
04-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Running out-doors, on roads is very hard on your knees. Running on a treadmill is far less impact on your knees, but is boring as all hell. Since I had 40% of my Right Miniscus removed, I only have the option of running on the TreadMill

Tha Greatest
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Running out-doors, on roads is very hard on your knees. Running on a treadmill is far less impact on your knees, but is boring as all hell. Since I had 40% of my Right Miniscus removed, I only have the option of running on the TreadMill

You do know grass, is even better than treadmill..