View Full Version : Muay Thai in MMA

D-MiZe
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Who are the best Thai kickboxers in MMA?

Virgil Caine
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Anderson Silva, Shogun Rua, Wanderlei, Paul Daley.

(??)

Virgil Caine
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Also, isn't Bas from an MT background? Basically anybody from Holland??

S.H.A.O
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
the best muay thai fighter technical is surely anderson silva, but there are really many fighters with a thay backgroud like nodogoshi says.

jamesc
04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
hmmm i guess shogun is the best in a pure muay thai style...

andersons striking doesnt really resemble anything style based....and wandys wild winging punches arent that muay thai...

we'll see soon just how good shoguns muay thai is!

-Swizzy-
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Shogun has the best Muay Thai style.

I rarely see Anderson Silva fighting the real muay thai style. he's just good at throwing knees but that doesn't mean he is good at muay thai.

1 on 1
04-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Shogun has the best Muay Thai style.

I rarely see Anderson Silva fighting the real muay thai style. he's just good at throwing knees but that doesn't mean he is good at muay thai.From the fights that I've seen of Rua and Anderson, I'd have to give it to Silva, he has a wider array of counters and offensive Muay Thai techniques.

I think Aldo should be mentioned as well, although, I haven't seen his clinch work yet, and for me, clinching is what truly Muay Thai is about.

jakkups
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Based on technique - Shogun (Bas Rutten if he was still around).
Based on accomplishments in kickboxing - Semmy Schilt.
Based on power - Melvin Manhoef or Patrick Barry.

Honorable mentions go to Maurice Smith and Rick Roufus.

It's no different than the thread that said GSP was the best wrestler in MMA. If you look at it from an accomplishment POV then he isn't, but in terms of the application of the skill/technique then he probably is.

Jack3d
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Melvin Manhoef
Paul Daley
Semmy Schilt
Shogun

the lumberjack
04-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Rambaa Somdet, you know an actual thai who has actually fought muay thai in stadiums.

He hasn't fought the watered down "muay thai" Brazil has

Junito-Rulez
04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Shogun, Diabaté, and Manhoef like others mentioned before.
What about Overeem?

1 on 1
04-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Based on technique - Shogun (Bas Rutten if he was still around).
Based on accomplishments in kickboxing - Semmy Schilt.
Based on power - Melvin Manhoef or Patrick Barry.

Honorable mentions go to Maurice Smith and Rick Roufus.

It's no different than the thread that said GSP was the best wrestler in MMA. If you look at it from an accomplishment POV then he isn't, but in terms of the application of the skill/technique then he probably is.In what department does Rua have over Silva when it comes to Muay Thai ?

TheNegation
04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Can't forget Pele

kaps
04-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Pele, ****, all the chute boxe guys have pretty good muay thai. Kit Cope has sick muay thai, he isn't that good at MMA though...

rainmaker89
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
thiago alves
brandon vera
manhoef
Malaipet
paul daley
pat barry

just a few from the top my head

jakkups
04-24-2010, 09:19 PM
In what department does Rua have over Silva when it comes to Muay Thai ?

IMO Silva, as clinical as he is, has never been tested on the feet in MMA. The guys he has been fighting either pack a punch yet lack technique or defense, or they have decent enough technique but are tentative and don't know how to deliver the strikes in order to keep Silva honest, not to mention these are all smaller guys than the ones Rua has fought. His clinch is very good but who has he been in there with that knows how to utilise and defend the clinch that has the level of Muay Thai that Shogun has?

Shogun on the other hand has been in with and defeated seasoned Muay Thai guys like Diabate, Overeem as well as outworking Machida (I felt that Shogun won that fight) who was pretty much a mystery and seemingly impossible to hit let alone hit cleanly. He was also a Muay Thai champion, in comparison to Silva who had been beaten twice and stopped by Pele. He has also displayed a clinch which is as good if not better than Silva's, just ask Rampage.

If you were to look at the stances of both men, Shogun actually adopts a classical Muay Thai stance whereas Silva adopts a boxers stance which works better for him because his head movement and footwork is very good by MMA standards that he looks alot better than he actually is. Just look at the Griffin fight, Forrest can only move in one direction, doesn't know the meaning of head movement and has no power or speed in his strikes. It allows for a guy like Silva to look like a master because he hasn't got to worry about the other guy's strikes. If this was about boxing then I'd put Silva over Rua, but it's not.

Also finishing ratio favours Rua as well. 15 of Rua's 18 wins via KO in comparison to 15 out of 26 for Silva. He is the far better finisher.

1 on 1
04-25-2010, 08:29 AM
IMO Silva, as clinical as he is, has never been tested on the feet in MMA. The guys he has been fighting either pack a punch yet lack technique or defense, or they have decent enough technique but are tentative and don't know how to deliver the strikes in order to keep Silva honest, not to mention these are all smaller guys than the ones Rua has fought. His clinch is very good but who has he been in there with that knows how to utilise and defend the clinch that has the level of Muay Thai that Shogun has?

Shogun on the other hand has been in with and defeated seasoned Muay Thai guys like Diabate, Overeem as well as outworking Machida (I felt that Shogun won that fight) who was pretty much a mystery and seemingly impossible to hit let alone hit cleanly. He was also a Muay Thai champion, in comparison to Silva who had been beaten twice and stopped by Pele. He has also displayed a clinch which is as good if not better than Silva's, just ask Rampage.

If you were to look at the stances of both men, Shogun actually adopts a classical Muay Thai stance whereas Silva adopts a boxers stance which works better for him because his head movement and footwork is very good by MMA standards that he looks alot better than he actually is. Just look at the Griffin fight, Forrest can only move in one direction, doesn't know the meaning of head movement and has no power or speed in his strikes. It allows for a guy like Silva to look like a master because he hasn't got to worry about the other guy's strikes. If this was about boxing then I'd put Silva over Rua, but it's not.

Also finishing ratio favours Rua as well. 15 of Rua's 18 wins via KO in comparison to 15 out of 26 for Silva. He is the far better finisher.Rua defeated Overeem , Diabate and Pele on the ground though. So to give credit to Shogun's Muay Thai for defeating Muay Thai based MMA fighters is misleading, again, he won those fights on the ground.

As far as the Rampage fight. I think it had to do more with Jackson's inexperience in the clinch department, it was quite clear that Rampage was lost in the clinch game, I think it was more about Quinton's lack of clinch IQ rather than Rua's clinch.

I also disagree with Rua being a better finisher than Anderson, atleast not in the stand-up aspect, maybe when he's in a dominant position on the ground, but I'm talkin' about finishing off opponents with Muay Thai or just general stand-up techniques.

As far as stance is concerned, well, Anderson has talked about this particular subject before, it's basically a conscious effort on his part. He said, like many other Muay Thai fighters who have participated in MMA(Malaipet), that they had to make adjustments to their stance due to the grappling aspect of MMA.

All I know is this, kicking ability goes to Silva, he can kick with either leg and. I also think Silva has better hands than Rua. Clinch: I'd give it a draw. Muay Thai technique: Silva