View Full Version : James Toney vs. Randy Couture sleighted for UFC 118 in Boston

TheNegation
04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18852/randy-couture-vs-james-toney-targeted-for-augusts-ufc-118-in-boston.mma

In a match likely to re-ignite the "boxing vs. MMA" debate, a bout between 10-time UFC champion Randy Couture (18-10 MMA, 15-7 UFC) and former boxing champion James Toney (0-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is targeted for the UFC's first trip to Boston.

Fighters Only was the first to report the possibility of the pairing, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed that while the matchup is far from official, it's in the works for a headlining spot at the event.

Although not officially announced, UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at the TD Garden in Boston. Two high-profile lightweight fights are currently on tap for the Northeast event: newly minted champion Frankie Edgar fights the man he deposed for the belt, B.J. Penn, in an immediate rematch of their recent UFC 112 bout, and two-time contender Kenny Florian faces standout Gray Maynard.

The weight limit of Couture vs. Toney is currently undetermined. Couture is now two fights into a second stint as a light heavyweight, while Toney is primarily regarded as a heavyweight in the boxing world.

The position of Couture vs. Toney on UFC 118's card is also unknown at this time, though sources close to the event say it will likely take a headline or co-headline slot.

Toney, 41, won a UFC contract in early March after a protracted trash-talk campaign against UFC president Dana White and several mixed martial arts fighters. The former boxing champion sought the guidance of boxing and MMA coach Juanito Ibarra and at several points welcomed a fight with Couture (though he called out virtually every MMA star he could name).

Toney is currently training with Ibarra in Southern California as he prepares for his MMA debut.

Couture, 46, railroaded fellow UFC Hall of Fame member Mark Coleman in his most recent performance at UFC 109. The win shook off controversy that lingered after his prior appearance, a close decision victory over Brandon Vera at UFC 105 this past November, and put him on track for a shot at the 205-pound title.

When Toney signed, however, Couture expressed an immediate interest in welcoming the boxer to MMA.

Couture lost his heavyweight title to current champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 91. A subsequent setback against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102 prompted a move to the 205-pound class.

He remains one of only two men to hold titles in two different weight classes (He won light heavyweight gold three times with wins over Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort and heavyweight gold against Maurice Smith, Kevin Randleman, Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga).

A part-time actor in addition to his pugilistic responsibilities, Couture's new movie, "The Expendables," is set to premiere on Aug. 12, a little more than two weeks before UFC 118.

UFC 118 is the first major MMA event to arrive in Massachusetts. This past November, the state's governor, Deval Patrick, signed into law a bill that calls for the Massachusetts State Boxing Commission to become the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission and oversee MMA events.

TD Garden, an indoor venue that is home to the NBA's Boston Celtics and NHL's Boston Bruins, has a maximum capacity of more than 19,000.

I think Randy drains Toney from the Greco Clinch along the cage, takes him down and pounds him into submission.

Thoughts?

kaps
04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Randy's wheel falls off his walker on the way to the cage......

$BloodyNate$
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I LOVE THIS FIGHT!!!! best first fight for Toney IMO. Win-win for the UFC. It's not to big a test for toney, and if he wins its not like he proved MMA is so inferior to boxing. At least he's going to earn his title shot. I got Toney knocking Randy out though. bad match up for Randy because it's his thing to get in close to close range and that will be his downfall.

-Swizzy-
04-23-2010, 12:48 AM
oh man, I hope Randy doesn't get caught because he DOES NOT have a good chin. this will definitley not look good for MMA if Toney wins which he might.

but obviously Randy has the better chance of winning this fight easily.

TheNegation
04-23-2010, 12:54 AM
oh man, I hope Randy doesn't get caught because he DOES NOT have a good chin. this will definitley not look good for MMA if Toney wins which he might.

but obviously Randy has the better chance of winning this fight easily.

Well that's not exactly fair to say. Randy has been rocked and KO'd by guys that have very solid power.

Also Toney is more of a counter puncher anyway, so I don't really see him hunting Randy down and I don't think Randy would have much trouble getting him down and tiring him out.

$BloodyNate$
04-23-2010, 01:19 AM
So you really think Randy's going to have an easy time just closing the distance and clinching him? No problem huh? Randy has to get within Toney's striking range to clinch which is a very dangerous thing.

EDIT- Also Toney's a boxer. He's not like Coleman who is easy as hell to hold against the cage and Vera pretty much put up no resistance. Toney will circle.

Kakutogi-Gumi
04-23-2010, 01:24 AM
That's when the judo will come in.

Sn1
04-23-2010, 06:29 AM
This could be over in the first exchange.
i doubt randy can avoid a single punch if this is at LHW.

Junito-Rulez
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Toney by armbar.

kaps
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I bet Dana has already been in Randy's ear. "Just take him down, don't **** around, just take him down."...

$ LegenD $
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
toney is gonna ko him rather quick if randy decides to test his boxing....that bob n weave sh*t he does leaves him so open for a overhand right that toney will no doubt land flush and its over....as long as toney is working on his stuffing the takedown he should be able to win by ko or tko

Boss Don
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
James Toney gonna knock his ass out

murmagic
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
waaar toney!

Mr. Beelzebub
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I will never bet against Couture again. If Toney doesn't drop him in the first round it would be all Randy after that.

Kakutogi-Gumi
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
toney is gonna ko him rather quick if randy decides to test his boxing....that bob n weave sh*t he does leaves him so open for a overhand right that toney will no doubt land flush and its over....as long as toney is working on his stuffing the takedown he should be able to win by ko or tko

Toney is training with Juanito.

He's already ****ed.

snakey112
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
toney by gogoplata

kaps
04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Toney is training with Juanito.

He's already ****ed.

LOL @ Juanito...

GreatestIam
04-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Toney by KTFO!

MJ406
04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I expect Dana to put the fight around 215 or some kinda catchweight .. despite what people say I'll believe Toney can make 205 when I actually see it.

regarding the actual fight, Toney has to knock Randy out .. or else he'll just get clinched, worn down and possibly stopped on the ground.

**mildly interesting fight, and pairing it with that Penn-Edgar title rematch is an even better idea. I could go to this one.

American_Ninja
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Man **** Toney. He doesn't deserve to fight Randy. He should be fighting
a much lesser opponent. At this stage in his career, it's considered an honor to get to fight Randy. Toney has done nothing to deserve a fight with Captain America.

Left2theliver
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Couture's not an idiot, his boxing should be good enough for him to set up the takedown or clinch. If he decides to stand and trade he'll be in trouble...but Couture's a very smart fighter. So i doubt he'll be doing that. Couture by TKO or submission in the 1st.