View Full Version : Age

Brotherfromthehoods
12-04-2004, 09:06 AM
r there ne world class boxers that started boxing training at a later age, such as 22 etc, or do most start in there early teens.

abdiel2k3
12-04-2004, 09:16 AM
r there ne world class boxers that started boxing training at a later age, such as 22 etc, or do most start in there early teens.
ya ME!!!!
ive already signed to fight hopkins, paquiao, klitschko, and and im only 18

ok ok
im jk

elveiel
12-04-2004, 09:34 AM

I dont know who's world class and started 20+, but I know Audley Harrison start in his early 20's and is a weathly man from the sport.

It all depends on your ability and you weight class, if your a heavy you ok, if your a feather its going to be hard because smaller fighter peak young!! You can become a very good fighter within a 3-4 years and as long as your fitness is good enough you could turn pro.

Its possible to turn pro very late and still make it! Matt skelton is about 36 years old, he turned pro a couple of years ago and is doing very good things. He could fight some names in 2005. He was a K1 fighter before but it proves you can progress in boxing in a short space of time if your good enough.

boxer2k5
12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
im starting out im 22

ive seen guys 30+ in the amatures

it depends on you

if your 22 and want to be in amatures for 5 years then take your time in pros

it all depends on you

and how well and fast you learn
sometimes you have the young kids that been training for like 8 years but because their young it takes longer to teach

but 20+ your focused and you know how to push yourself and its easier to comprehend things and learn

leff
12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
It varies, some greta begin at 10 ore even 6 whilst others began late. It depends on the person.

Atwa_66
12-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm going to start boxing soon, and I'm 15, and I think that is even kind of late, because i should have started at an age like 12 or 13, :(

julDilla
12-04-2004, 07:44 PM
i think glen johnson started at 20 and he KOed jones jr. :eek:

spinksjinx
12-04-2004, 08:11 PM
As long as your head mentally is young, you are good to go...

elveiel
12-04-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm going to start boxing soon, and I'm 15, and I think that is even kind of late, because i should have started at an age like 12 or 13, :(

15/16 is a perfect age to start boxing, i think i was around that age when i started. IMO a lot of the younger kids(12-13) pick up bad habbits like poor technique and talking instead of trainin anyway!

Start boxing as soon as you can. :)

Brotherfromthehoods
12-05-2004, 02:53 AM
thanks for the advice, wot kinda of gym should i be lookin for, or wot shud i b lookin for in a gym

elveiel
12-05-2004, 03:26 AM
thanks for the advice, wot kinda of gym should i be lookin for, or wot shud i b lookin for in a gym

A good one!! ;)

Its difficult to know what a good gym is if you havent boxed before, try to pick a gym with a good reputation. Maybe even try a couple of gyms to see which one's best for you.

Its very important to find a coach you trust, if you ever start to doubt your coach then find a new one!!

Make sure there are good fighters at the gym, if there are no good fighters its normally because there isnt a good coach there either!!

Make sure you understand your coaches insructions, its very important to have good communication with them.

It important that your coach makes the effort to show you the the correct technique, a good coach will continue to help you improve and pull you up if your doing something wrong.

Its very important your coach knows your commited to learning, if your coach think your there to mess around they wont help you get better. Make a point of telling your coach your short and long term goals!!

It would be a good idea to do some one2one work work with a coach. Its not very expensive and you will learn the basics a lot quicker.

andreyd
01-21-2005, 06:41 AM
no matter when, its a pleasure anyway

elitemaple
04-06-2005, 12:48 AM
i am 15 and have wrestled for 4 years, i was wondering if i would have any advantage to boxing. i workout every day and am in the 58kg catagory. i was hoping to get into the sport but was curious of the appropriote age to begin and succeed. if i have an advantage from wrestling, and work hard is there chance of doing well from age 15. just curious.

Curly
04-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Wrestling builds great cardio. The wrestlers in my BJJ class can roll all night and not get tired. Good cardio is key in any combat sport. Also, you're used to competing in front of people and you probably already have a good work ethic knowing that most wrestling coaches don't put up with slackers. The mechanics of striking are different than grappling, you use different muscles. We've had boxers that come in to BJJ and complain about sore necks and I've also sparred with grapplers in striking who complain about sore shoulders and lats.
Personally, I think you'll adapt and have an advantage from your background but I'm sure someone here will disagree with me

Ark
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Its all in the heart, older guys dont usually have much heart which is why its rare to find a world class boxer who's old in age.

elitemaple
04-06-2005, 08:21 PM
alright. i am supposed to go check out a club tomorrow and talk to my cousins trainer. in my wellness class we did boxing and i did pretty well. i won all fights in my weight area and cannot wait to start training.

Tha Greatest
04-07-2005, 12:20 AM
im starting out im 22

ive seen guys 30+ in the amatures

it depends on you

if your 22 and want to be in amatures for 5 years then take your time in pros

it all depends on you

and how well and fast you learn
sometimes you have the young kids that been training for like 8 years but because their young it takes longer to teach

but 20+ your focused and you know how to push yourself and its easier to comprehend things and learn

you 22??

i thought u 17 or 18

pinaldino
04-08-2005, 08:12 AM

22 seems a bit old to become a world class fighter but is it really your goal? U can learn a lot, have a good time boxing at any age and any level. Know Mahyar Monshipour ? he's the superbattam WBA champ, and a small version of Mike tyson IMO. He started from scratch at 17, and 10 years later he's the champ !
So don't worry, find a good gym as people told you on the forum. and 1 additional advice about the "right" gym= the trainer should have a strong discipline during the class. When he talks everybody shuts up and listens.
If you try 1 class and see that everybody is chatting while the teacher explains something, u should walk away because that's how accident happens.

czars_salad
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
ya ME!!!!
ive already signed to fight hopkins, paquiao, klitschko, and and im only 18

ok ok
im jk
you're such a big joke, kid

go fight butterbean

czars_salad
04-08-2005, 09:35 AM
who's that in your avatar?

pinaldino
04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
who's that in your avatar?

anouhkoun in the front and ramon dekkers in the back . 2 all time great muay thai fighters

czars_salad
04-08-2005, 09:45 AM
anouhkoun in the front and ramon dekkers in the back . 2 all time great muay thai fighters
cool... :cool:

Mr.Talent
04-08-2005, 11:03 AM
didn't hopkins start in his 20s?

jack_the_rippuh
04-08-2005, 11:40 AM
You know what they say....the blacker the berry the sweater the juice.