View Full Version : Footwork

leff
12-04-2004, 06:40 AM
I posted something similar one the old board.

Still my biggest problem as a boxer are my heavy feets,
im the infight type, and i dont like the ideea of running away.

Im currenly at light heavy, 6ft tall and 75inch reach.Ortodox.

spinksjinx
12-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Always got to stay on your toes, dont be flat footed and keep your heel raised..Like putting a little bounce in your step, You could always add something into your shoes to keep your heels raised they sell tools like that or you could just stuff it with a rag or something...

Another thing I would suggest is to shadowbox with foot work it has helped me out a lot in getting good movement, Take some ballroom dancing lessons or atleast watch a instructional video even ballet would help...

elveiel
12-04-2004, 09:44 AM
I posted something similar one the old board.

Still my biggest problem as a boxer are my heavy feets,
im the infight type, and i dont like the ideea of running away.

Im currenly at light heavy, 6ft tall and 75inch reach.Ortodox.

Watch Mayweather fight and copy him, when i'm one2one coaching i show people a tape and tell them watch his footwork and pratice whilst shadow boxing!! forget about power shots, defence etc, relax and let your footwork flow!! as soon as your footworks good enough start to work on everything else.

And like Jinx said there are other things that can help, i'm not into dancing so i just play basketball, things like this help with coordination.

leff
12-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I know, but standing on my toes ****s upp my power, besides im not in the ring to run away im in the ring to fight.

boxer2k5
12-04-2004, 11:39 AM
skip sideways aroudn the ring for 5 minutes then switch
do it the other way for 5 minutes

then do it for 10 30 seconds keep switching

when your on the heavy bag keep moving

dont stay on both of your toes when boxing not good for balance

work on your pivot

and JUMP ROPE
JUMPE ROPE
JUMPE ROPE

elveiel
12-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I know, but standing on my toes ****s upp my power, besides im not in the ring to run away im in the ring to fight.

Its very hard to explain footwork in text, i wish i could show you in person.

Standing on both toes is no good, i always have one heel slighty raises off the floor and one foot flat, moving forward i always have my back foot slighty raised and moving backwards my front heel slighty raised, you need to do this so you can push off the toes to move faster!! you will learn how to change foot so you can change direction very quickly.

An exapmle: when i'm throwing a left hook then straight right from an outhadox stance i do this - My left heel is flat and my right heel is slighty off the floor because i'm pushing off it to move forward, i lower my right heel and raise my left heel(at the same time), then i twist my left foot(45-90 degree's) at the same pace as i'm throwing my left hook, after my left hook lands i twist my left foot back so its straight and lower the heel, straight away i raise my right heel as i'm throwing my straight right, the heel raises fully because i want max power.

You will not lose any power doing this, if anything you will gain power. I honestly know i can move and punch very well doing it. Hope you not too :confused: ;)

These links are perfect example's of great balance, power and footwork
Salita KO Ueding (http://www.boxingscene.com/media/showphoto.php?photo=6184&sort=1&cat=all&page=1)
Salita KO1 Gladden (http://www.boxingscene.com/media/showphoto.php?photo=6185&sort=1&cat=all&page=1)

sean2079
12-05-2004, 07:14 AM
is footwork the best thing to learn first?

spinksjinx
12-05-2004, 11:46 AM

I think learning the basics of punching and footwork should be the first things taught to a fighter....

If you dont know how to move properly you will be getting hit with some vicious shots that you could easily avoid.

elveiel
12-05-2004, 12:09 PM

Holding you hands correctly first(with some basic punches), footwork second is ideal, that way you have a good foundation to learn skills, defence and power.

I go back to basics a lot, i forget about my fitness and work on my footwork and skills, that way i continue to improve.

boxer2k5
12-05-2004, 01:59 PM

yeah that and proper puching

but if you have bad footwork you have bad balance
with no balance you have no power no speed and your easy to hit and knocked down

proper stance is the first thing a trainer will teach you

then is proper punchign then its conditioning(which you will be doing through out your career period)

so make sure your foowork is right before anything

liek i said do alot of skiping sideways and run fowards and backwards

and jump rope

Floydmayweather
01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Just jump alot of rope and practice shuffuling your feet back and forth. You dont have to always bounce just to get in to position to punch.

Fistecles
01-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Your trailing leg should have the heel raised and your fron foot should be flat but with focus on the ball of that foot. Your weight should be equal over both feet, and squat down a little like your gonna sit on a stool inbetween your legs just under your ass. Once you understand that balance you woun't find it difficult to move around.

ShotgunSeanK
01-06-2005, 07:37 AM
practice footwork every night before you go to bed...around 2/3 rounds shadowboxing, focussing on the feet

zip
01-06-2005, 08:31 AM
I think that you should specialize in one thing (like in fighting) and polish it really well so you can stick to it most of the time. But there will be times where you can not use your favorite style so you must also know the basics of other styles (outboxing, counter punching etc) so you can atleast use them.

Someone might be the taller fighter in most of his fights but there will be a time where he's the smaller.

Mick Hucknall
01-06-2005, 04:06 PM
spinks is there any routines to doing the jumprope. i.e routines which you would reccomend.. or do u just skip away???