View Full Version : Could Jake Shields lay on top of GSP?

kaps
04-17-2010, 11:29 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cl-beMYQ-K0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cl-beMYQ-K0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

kaps
04-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Seriously, How do you mount someone for 20 minutes and not finish?

Dirt E Gomez
04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Seriously, How do you mount someone for 20 minutes and not finish?

Aye, what a joke. **** the fans for booing, that's bull ****. But, seriously? He had him fully mounted for so long and never had Henderson in serious trouble; that's ****ing sad.

Necrophobic
04-17-2010, 11:55 PM
henderson looked dire after the first round. looks like fathertime is catching up

TBEC2
04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
GSP get dominant positions all the time and doesn't finish so i think either way you look at it the fighter who gets the 1st take down will probably win the round by smothering. The deciding factor would be take downs and up until about 20 minutes ago i would of said GSP is light years ahead of Shields in take downs.
But any man who can take Hendo down and keep him down is damn impressive.
No matter which path shields takes i think a move down to 170 is best for him.

kaps
04-18-2010, 12:00 AM
GSP get dominant positions all the time and doesn't finish so i think either way you look at it the fighter who gets the 1st take down will probably win the round by smothering. The deciding factor would be take downs and up until about 20 minutes ago i would of said GSP is light years ahead of Shields in take downs.
But any man who can take Hendo down and keep him down is damn impressive.
No matter which path shields takes i think a move down to 170 is best for him.

GSP's takedown defense is greater than Hendo's IMO.....

F l i c k e r
04-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Maybe.

Don't know until he tries. It would be THE most boring match ever.

kaps
04-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Maybe.

Don't know until he tries. It would be THE most boring match ever.

Yeah, I got kinda sleepy thinking about it....

-Swizzy-
04-18-2010, 01:13 AM
I don't think he could. I still think GSP is stronger at 170 than Shields. GSP is a freak of nature. But I do think GSP would have a harder time against Shields on the ground than he has against anyone.

but nevertheless, I doubt GSP goes for the takedowns and I don't think Jake Sheilds will be able to take GSP down. I would imagine a standup fight.

TheNegation
04-18-2010, 01:48 AM
GSP's takedown defense is greater than Hendo's IMO.....

Ya think? Dan's TDD is pretty ****ty. Most because he's so in love with his right hand that it throws him off balance.

But no GSP would not be laid on by Jake Shields. Shields wouldn't be able to get GSP down to save his life.

Real Talk

Blair_Wells#32
04-18-2010, 06:25 AM
nope not a chance GSP by Decision or he realises just like Fitch Shields poses no Threat on the Feat and Punishes him.

Junito-Rulez
04-18-2010, 07:45 AM
No, Dan Henderson's jiujitsu is very limited, his cardio is crap and he's 39 years old. He's nothing like GSP. GSP is more dynamic, faster and has very good jiujitsu.

Young Herschel
04-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Co-sign. I read somewhere that Sheilds began studing American Karate as a boy. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what classification is he today in AK? I know he has earned a coveted Gracie Black Belt as well as a wrestling scholarship in college. Why does his stand-up seems so suspect after years of training in American Karate?

1 on 1
04-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Before we start talkin' about Jake Shields laying on top of GSP. He needs to worry about how the f**k he's gonna take GSP down. With what Shields showed last night, it ain't gonna be easy and may never even get the distance he wants.

All I gotta say to GSP is, lateral movement, kicks and feints, I seriously think he'll play checkers with Jake. GSP might not even have the need to sprawl, he simply wouldn't be there for Jake.

Jake is slow in every aspect of stand-up, how the hell is he gonna be able to get that take down, the distance will not be fought from a grappler's range. He is slow of foot, hand and lacks the agility.

1 on 1
04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Co-sign. I read somewhere that Sheilds began studing American Karate as a boy. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what classification is he today in AK? I know he has earned a coveted Gracie Black Belt as well as a wrestling scholarship in college. Why does his stand-up seems so suspect after years of training in American Karate?Lol, what exactly is American Karate, what makes 'em different from the other forms of Karate ?

Young Herschel
04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
American Karate is a classified as a combination of Chinese Karate (Kung Fu), Korean Karate (Tae Kwon Do) and Japanese Karate (Akido?). I know that Jake Sheilds has been studying martial arts since he was an adolescent.

nodogoshi
04-19-2010, 08:58 AM
American Karate is a classified as a combination of Chinese Karate (Kung Fu), Korean Karate (Tae Kwon Do) and Japanese Karate (Akido?). I know that Jake Sheilds has been studying martial arts since he was an adolescent.

Aikido is a separate Japanese art. It's renowned for utilizing the opponent's force against them.

Karate is sort of a generic term which encompass a variety of different forms. Karate itself actually means "open hand," as in fighting without weapons (***31354;***25163;***65289;.