View Full Version : What shot hurts you the most?

Freelancer
04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
About 2 days ago I had a sparring session with a dude that has some amateur fights under his belt, bit youger than me, guy with a lot of potential and well, high hopes. I sometimes get myself outmached since I'm one of the 2 southpaws at my gym and from time to time some better boxers need to practice against leftys.

Of course I could of just said no, but what the hell, I went for it. Man oh man did I end up regreting it. So I'm thinking I'll be practicing my good ole routine, use my reach, keep him at bay and piss him off with the trusty jab, but mind defence a bit more since I knew this guy packs some power. My current stamina level couldn't compare to his so I said to myself, maybe do some counter punching also and try to keep a clear head.

That old Tyson line sure applied to me the *Everyone's got a plan untill they get hit* one. I couldn't really complain since the guy didn't go all out, diddn't turn the spar in a slugfest, he was just explosive, fast and precise, all in all, I got my ass handed to me.

What did the trick was a straight right bellow the ribs in the middle, close to the stomach. I had to put the knee down and call it a day. Of all shots taken that one gets me the most. After the spar I got to talk with the dude and he said he went about 70% of his power on that one. I ussualy don't mind gettin hit in the head since I ussualy go with the hooks and shoulderroll and I keep myself away from jabs and straight rights, but I hurt from bodyshots like hell. I get my ab workouts done and use the medicine ball but they still get me.

What's your least favourite shot to get hit with in a spar or match?

Righthandbanger
04-14-2010, 07:14 PM
being short I mostly just get hit on the top of the head.. its my least favourite because it scores points and annoys the **** outta me.

..but a few guys I've sparred with say its the bodyshots that hurt the most

kbpoetree
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
u said it TS the body..damnit it hurts spec when your body aint in tip top shape it needs to b in and honestly most amateurs are not in that shape yet...i actually have used a good clean shot to where your talken to shut down a bigger dude tryna kill me one day...now he had no skillz wich is worse he was jus throwen hay makers...i dropped under his jab hit him w a hard right to the ribs...and he went down...course after he gets up i hear " ahhh man this week i was benchen and dropped the bar on my chest thats y it hurt so bad" lol what an excuse....

luv4boxing84
04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
two days ago i took a wild haymaker to the back. Right in the kidney. Been pissing blood for days and my back is painful to the touch. Even hurts when my feet hit the ground to walk. lol

F l i c k e r
04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Body shots for sure.

I had a friend of mine a while back throw the most friendly looking left hook to my body and I felt literally felt it on the opposite side of my body, on the inside. It looked soft so I didn't block it but boy was I wrong, that did it for me that day.

AddiX
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
A good shot to the liver, kidney, rib sucks.

Rib really hurts and the last thing you want to do is get hit in the same spot. The worst is when someone digs their knuckles under your bottom rib.

On the flip side, there is nothing better in boxing than hearing your opponent make that squeaking sound. If you heard it or did it before than you know exactly what I'm talking about.

ScottDBA
04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I got hit with a body shot that constantly hurt for a week and then hurt for another week when I would move a certain way like doing situps.

I guess it bruised my ribs or something.

One more round
04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Liver shot. Or solar plexus

Nose can sting like a ***** too.

FM3O
04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
1) Left hook to the body for sure. I've been hit with some vicious ones that really ****ed up my day lol. Would much rather be hit in the face hard.

2) Getting hit hard enough in the nose to where the septum deviates, constant nosebleeds begin to occur, or bruising develops always sucks, mostly because the recovery is horrible and cannot always be correctly fixed if enough damage is done.

3) Getting hit with hard hook when my mouth open can make my ears feeling like liquid is coming out cause they hurt so bad. Those are no fun.

GoogleMe
04-15-2010, 04:24 AM
I sure don't like when they hit my liver clean.

GoogleMe
04-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Liver shot. Or solar plexus

Nose can sting like a ***** too.
Exactly those places.

teamdaigurren
04-15-2010, 04:42 AM
side of your body takes the wind out.
no others hurt me though.

rochemback
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Liver shot, not even a discussion. There is nothing like the feeling that your body can't go on and the glorious "what the hell is that"-thought.

This and wherever you've been hurt before, even if it doesn't hurt, but it kinda messes up your head. After I broke my nose, I was very cautious the first few times in sparring, and whenever my nose got hit, I immediately switched to security mode, very frustrating.

Right2TheTemple
04-15-2010, 11:36 AM
About 2 days ago I had a sparring session with a dude that has some amateur fights under his belt, bit youger than me, guy with a lot of potential and well, high hopes. I sometimes get myself outmached since I'm one of the 2 southpaws at my gym and from time to time some better boxers need to practice against leftys.

Of course I could of just said no, but what the hell, I went for it. Man oh man did I end up regreting it. So I'm thinking I'll be practicing my good ole routine, use my reach, keep him at bay and piss him off with the trusty jab, but mind defence a bit more since I knew this guy packs some power. My current stamina level couldn't compare to his so I said to myself, maybe do some counter punching also and try to keep a clear head.

That old Tyson line sure applied to me the *Everyone's got a plan untill they get hit* one. I couldn't really complain since the guy didn't go all out, diddn't turn the spar in a slugfest, he was just explosive, fast and precise, all in all, I got my ass handed to me.

What did the trick was a straight right bellow the ribs in the middle, close to the stomach. I had to put the knee down and call it a day. Of all shots taken that one gets me the most. After the spar I got to talk with the dude and he said he went about 70% of his power on that one. I ussualy don't mind gettin hit in the head since I ussualy go with the hooks and shoulderroll and I keep myself away from jabs and straight rights, but I hurt from bodyshots like hell. I get my ab workouts done and use the medicine ball but they still get me.

What's your least favourite shot to get hit with in a spar or match?

dude try to feint on your left straight then shock him with your looping right hook to the mid section ,.. that is one of my favorite moves !focus only on 2 to 3 shot combinations so ur form wont let ur mid section open ! :boxing:

Freelancer
04-15-2010, 11:51 AM
dude try to feint on your left straight then shock him with your looping right hook to the mid section ,.. that is one of my favorite moves !focus only on 2 to 3 shot combinations so ur form wont let ur mid section open ! :boxing:

Hehe funny you should mention that one, it's one of my favorite too,I either fake the left cross or straight then go for the right hook from waist level. Think I posted somethin about it on the *southpaw combos* thread. And yeah I don't go all out so I can keep a decent energy level and mind my defence.

Bottom line is I got schooled, nothing wrong with it though, live and learn. Could of done without that last hit though. :boxing:

Richie-G
04-15-2010, 03:30 PM
worst has got to be the throat... doesn't happen often, but when it does you know about it..... sickening

Cassius Liston
04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
No shots hurt me...i have an iron chin ...similar to Froch ....hard punches just motivate me

TsM^
04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm extremely new to boxing. I recently took it up as a hobby with a group of friends. We spar a lot basically. We don't use headgear cuz the only thing we bought wuz the gloves.

Well I usually eat punches but 1 of my friends has a strong right straight. And I could feel it. Body shots don't rly hurt, but I'm guessing that's because I prob never got hit hard enuf.

Necrophobic
04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
the one that you dont see

paulsinghnl
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
i have been hurt with a bad ass plexus shot in the earlier days, like all power on it from a big ass heavyweight, that was bad ass. i got a small concussion from a pro HW, from a left hook i never saw coming. and i had some days that my liver or where it is felt a little sore.

i remember someone punched me on the side of my neck, and i think he hit that artery on the neck cuz i remember being lightheaded for a split second.. and then i went on a barrage where i threw one of my favorite combo's: some hooks followed by a monster left uppercut to catch the dude when ducking down, another favorite: just the uppercut out of the shoulder roll on the smartasses trying to act like Joe Frazier, throwing the hard left or right hooks.

wmute
04-15-2010, 05:57 PM
straight right to solar plexus in sparring. Had to take a knee. I was actually in good shape at the time, which made it very bothering.

I think I was lucky to never feel one of THOSE liver shots, some pain there yes, but never enough to go down, my buddies who tried em swear it doesn't get any worse

Nick Fury
04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Honestly, ones I don't see.

danj.lizotte
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm extremely new to boxing. I recently took it up as a hobby with a group of friends. We spar a lot basically. We don't use headgear cuz the only thing we bought wuz the gloves.

Well I usually eat punches but 1 of my friends has a strong right straight. And I could feel it. Body shots don't rly hurt, but I'm guessing that's because I prob never got hit hard enuf.

Thats not boxing.

teamdaigurren
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
ah no froch your very good at taking shots and im rooting for you to ko kessler but ur not fast enough to get into a klitschko.

teamdaigurren
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
No shots hurt me...i have an iron chin ...similar to Froch ....hard punches just motivate me

ah no froch your very good at taking shots and im rooting for you to ko kessler but ur not fast enough to get into a klitschko.

TsM^
04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Thats not boxing.

Then let me kno what is?

fightaddicted
04-15-2010, 08:38 PM
i remember one of the first times i sparred and the guy who i was sparring was alot more experienced(He had a few fights under his belt)....a body shot that i never saw coming cuz i was to focussed on landing a straight right..i thought i got the better of him but i was the one who took a knee and he just kinda looked like nothing happened...hahaha

Freelancer
04-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Then let me kno what is?

Alot of people look down on what it's basicaly called backyard fighting or something like that. Frankly I think it's a bit dangerous to be sparring with your friends with no headgear and no mouthguard.

Even some amateur boxers don't have complete control over their shots so misshaps can happen and it can suck to lose a tooth or get a concussion from what was supposed to be good fun.

If you like boxing though, it's best to join a gym and have a trainer teach you the fundamentals, maybe you'll end up liking it even more and get good at it.

thatjamaicanguy
04-15-2010, 10:53 PM

you've never been hit by a real body shot

needless to say, i haven't either because i've never sparred...but i know the body shots hurt the most

them_apples
04-15-2010, 10:58 PM
if you are relaxed and take a body shot (a hard one), it's almost impossible to recover from. Even an average person if they are relaxed they often cant even take a love tap to the sternum.

GhostFighter
04-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I fear of getting hit in the nose, i had several noose bleeding of being puched there but luckily it hasnt been broken. Clean bodyshots really hurt and leaves u out of breath but the damage dont stay with you as a hit on the nose does mostly, but ive heard of Bas Rutten putting a guy in the hospital after a match where he hit him clean in the liver and it later turnt out the guy's had internal liver bleedings. (excuse my poor English)

DR.ORGYY
04-16-2010, 04:48 AM
top secret lol.........

SirPimpGmoneh
04-21-2010, 12:33 AM
uppercuts leave me with a headache 4 the rest of the day.. have a solid chin tho so even if im not effected during the fight, i feel it later.

One more round
04-21-2010, 12:53 AM

That's not boxing. That's just untrained kids swinging wildly in the backyard with no technique and the only thing that separates it from a streetfight is the gloves.

If you want to box, get to a real gym with real fighters. That **** you do isn't real boxing, anymore than grabbing a football and tossing it around makes you a football player.

One more round
04-21-2010, 12:54 AM
you've never been hit by a real body shot

needless to say, i haven't either because i've never sparred...but i know the body shots hurt the most

:lol1: :lol1: hahaha

Not trying to be a cunt btw, just you saying the kid had never been hit by a bodyshot and then saying you hadn't sparred either made me lol

Sven72
04-22-2010, 12:30 AM
I took a hard left (from a southy) just below my pec muscle right in the heart two weeks ago and haven't been able to train since, felt like my heart skipped a beat at the time but still finished training. Just badly bruised ribs now though. They're the shots that always get me, hard rib shots, dont like em at all.

oh and the accidental ones that hit you in the groin. THats usually game over if it gets you right in the jewels.

TheTruthIs
04-22-2010, 02:39 AM
back of the head. (helllloooo MRI!)

Liver shots suck too obviously. If you happen to have a sparring partner who is good at them, and would like to discourage that behavior...next time he nails you and 4 seconds later when you are wondering where to throw up...make sure it is on his shoes.

Telepath
04-22-2010, 03:06 AM
The worst kind is the liver shot if your opponent manages to catch you with your right hand extended, so that the muscles in that area are drawn out. The pain can be excruciating, I've been knocked out by shots like that.

jazluvr
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
In street fighting the place i hate getting hit most is between the nose and lips. You take a good clean shot there and tears well up in your eyes, you see stars, and hear bells and ****. Really disorients you and your opponent can take your ass down easy in such a helpless state.

Other than that a clean liver shot is really painful. I'm really not afraid of taking a shot in the face, or getting hit in general, but i don't want my teeth messed with they ain't so nice anyway, now that I'm gittin' older...lol. Who cares. For the record i don't like getting hit and try to avoid it...lol.

maverickuk2
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
body shot

end thread/ imo, once you get hit by a good body shot the game plan goes out the window.

Disposable Arts
04-24-2010, 01:32 AM
A good body shot will have you gasping for breath and allow your opponent to finish you off... A great bodyshot will lay you out on the canvas there and then.

SoldierWarrior
04-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Getting punched in the back of the head is the most painful punch I ever felt. I smiled when it happened to me because usually when I feel pain, I can't help to smile.

Equilibrium
04-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Uppercut to the sternum it doesn't land flush often but when it lands perfectly you can't breathe for a little bit, one of the worst feeling ever.

GoogleMe
04-24-2010, 04:42 AM
I've only been hurt at the liver in sparring, never hurt to the face in neither fight or sparring. My abs are very strong, so hitting me with straights are not going to hurt, only tire me.

ntate88
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
It ****ing kills when you tired during sparring so you have your mouth open and you get cracked in the jaw.

Guys always clench your jaw muscles

Bennett
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Uppercut to the sternum it doesn't land flush often but when it lands perfectly you can't breathe for a little bit, one of the worst feeling ever.

i was going to say "the shot you dont see coming" but then i read ur post and ur right. been there, horrible feeling.

dsmroman
04-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Body shot. I rather get hit to the head then the body.

DeepSleep
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm a southpaw so the occasional left hook that lands on the liver is rather painful.