View Full Version : The Contender

Sir Fancylot
06-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Anyone else watch this?

Sergio Mora is a good fighter, and i like the "epic" way they portray the fights.

boxer Of thE World
06-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Yes i wacthed this show Sergio is the best "fighter" on the show i think manfredo is a better boxer. The contender is not like real boxing were the boxer get 3 months to train in the contender they only get 4 days to train for a fight this is why i thonk the show was more desinged for a tough fighter like sergio.

samdadonsdd
06-06-2005, 06:36 PM
ishe was the best fighter there because i think he beat sergio

Sir Fancylot
06-06-2005, 06:43 PM
ishe was the best fighter there because i think he beat sergio

It was close, but i still would have gave it to sergio.

.::EnRiQuE::.
06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
It was close, but i still would have gave it to sergio.
u biter. u stole my name :mad:

solo1bc
06-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Honestly, I really liked the show.. For someone who has only ever watched boxing and never actually taken part I thought it was interesting to see the pre fight rituals and how much it means to these guys...

Re the finale (which was crap by the way) for some reason Manfredo just fought a really weird game plan.. Leaning in all the time instead of trying to box Mora..

None of these guys are really 'Contenders' anyway though and some of the boxing on display was pretty poor...

I hope they bring the series back for another year but I hope they make quite a few changes to the format also.. Less family fluff and more fighting/training & analysis...

KillerEye
06-07-2005, 05:34 AM
They are in talk about brining back the conetender was a great show finaly a little flavor to the sceen of boxing from a short round display.
The Nbc and sly are in consolt about for next season right now they have a poll out about who a remtach should be between fighter alfonso gomez or manfredo jr.
Also recent replys to the next conetder for upcoming season espn has recently had intrest in sponsering the show! so keep and eye open i think this is just going to get better!

sanjayint
06-07-2005, 06:44 AM
All the Black and Asian fighters didnt make it!!

Ishe Lost
Najai - Died
Reid - Lost
Ahmed - Lost
Juan - Pulled out

not causing any tension .. but i reckon its like Rubin Carter case of judging in boxing especially in Contender!!

sanjayint
06-07-2005, 06:45 AM
and another thing, i think that british fighters would beat any fighter in the Contender, this is becuase we are naturally tougher!! lol lol lol ;)

scottie
06-07-2005, 07:14 AM
next time i hope they bring in top 10 fighters... id like to see part 2

Sir Fancylot
06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
u biter. u stole my name :mad:

Holy ****, Thats strange.

It wasn't on purpose :eek:

And yeah, they should bring the contender over the pond to us brits :cool:

solo1bc
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Contdener Heavyweights!! The house would be chaos!

sanjayint
06-07-2005, 03:11 PM
UK VS USA contender, global contender !!!

RobbieD
06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
All the Black and Asian fighters didnt make it!!

Ishe Lost
Najai - Died
Reid - Lost
Ahmed - Lost
Juan - Pulled out

not causing any tension .. but i reckon its like Rubin Carter case of judging in boxing especially in Contender!!

Ishe - Beat fair and square
Najai - Killed himself
Reid - Lost fair and square
Ahmed - Punked
Juan - Pussied out.

Has ZERO resemblence to Rubin Carter so pipe down. Idiot.

sanjayint
06-07-2005, 04:10 PM
the judges seeem to favour the white guys.. hmmm

06-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Holy ****, Thats strange.

It wasn't on purpose :eek:

And yeah, they should bring the contender over the pond to us brits :cool:
nah i was just messin wit ya.

bfg
06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
The show was ok....the edited rounds were really annoying though...the finale was much better since they actually resembled real fights...I did like it though and it did allow you an insight into the boxers as people, rather than just athletes....I hope it does come back...for ****'s sake the Bachelor has been on for five years or something, as have a whole ****load of rotten reality shows...The Contender was entertaining, if for no reason than listening to Leonard very obviously read cue cards for the challenges adn to see Sly try to smile (it looked like his face was going to crack in half)

scottie
06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
for ****'s sake the Bachelor has been on for five years or something, as have a whole ****load of rotten reality shows... :D I thought it was ok, even the edited rds. for non-boxing fans, the full fight would be boring thats why they edited it.

boxstarr
06-07-2005, 08:01 PM
manfredo n mora werent white - they woz latino same as gomez - onlywhite was brinkley in last

to me ishe and reid both lost but i scored najai much closer to sergio

sonofisis
06-08-2005, 12:57 AM
i've seen one of them guys on tv before, i forgot his name..

06-08-2005, 05:15 PM
manfredo n mora werent white - they woz latino same as gomez - onlywhite was brinkley in last

manfredo ain't latino. he's italian

Sir Fancylot
06-09-2005, 08:39 AM

Brinkley, last??? he made it to the quarter finals :confused:

dizzy
06-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Sergio Mora was the best fighter, dont think the final was the best match up.

adeelr
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Ishe didn't beat sergio, sergio won easy

sanjayint
06-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Ishe didn't beat sergio, sergio won easy

shame really coz ishe was the better man compared to all fighters,

i thought najia had style thou against Sergio, he destroyed sergio in that round 2 !!! but then he lost a will to fight the killed himself :(

boxstarr
06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Brinkley, last??? he made it to the quarter finals :confused:

i meant the last 4 - semi finals

sorry i sometimes mess up my english even though i am english lol

luisillo22
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
I still think that Sergio Mora should of fought Alfonso Gomez in the final i think that Alfonso would have put up a better fight then Peter, i felt that Peter stop fighting after the 5th round, something Alfonso wouldnt of done.

sanjayint
06-09-2005, 06:22 PM
I still think that Sergio Mora should of fought Alfonso Gomez in the final i think that Alfonso would have put up a better fight then Peter, i felt that Peter stop fighting after the 5th round, something Alfonso wouldnt of done.

thats true, have you seen the mbc site, it says the top 4 were winners, 4th , bronze, silver, and Gold(The Contender)

sonofisis
06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Ishe was the best fighter than Sergio, seriously, in a ring infront of 1 million, if they had a rematch, Ishe Smith would win..

scottie
06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I think 5 rds is not enough to determine the better fighter. In the future i hope they consider bringing it up to 8 or 10 rds, and just show the highlights like they did. 5 rounders is definitely an advantage to fast-starters.

rocko617
06-11-2005, 12:24 AM
What do you know about boxing KillerEye? All you do is play video games all day. I wonder if that rundown boxing club will even give you a locker so you can train there? The Contender was yesterday's news and it is an unrealistic boxing scene. Anyone could've made it or not made it under those crazy conditions. Being able to train and see an opponents weaknesses each week is not real boxing. Maybe you should pick up the next season. I will put a millin bucks down that you or anyone could have done better than Sly. What the freak was he doing there controlling the conversations? He is a boxer or anything close to that. If I were Sugar Ray, I would've laid the smack down and knocked "rocky into tomorrow!" Time for you to get back to the bag KillerEye!

Rocko out...

scottie
06-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Lol. thought you was talking to me. the opening video was funny too, sly full mounted on sugarray flat on the canvass.

solo1bc
06-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Why are you knocking Sly Stallone Rocko?

He's done a hell of lot more for boxing than you have mate!

Rocky might not have been the most accurate movie ever (:D :D :D ) but it inspired a whole generation to either take up boxing or at least follow it as a sport...

I digged the contender, too much fluff and definately problems with the format but if given a choice of more boxing on TV (mainstream TV as well) or not.. I'd take it no?

rocko617
06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Solo, I think you have caught a few too many jabs in the face! Are you crazy, having SLY on that show borke the show. Don't get me wrond, I loved the movie, but did it inspire me to box, no the actual movie was not really about boxing, but about a nobody given the chance to become a somebody. I think more people were inspired to become great at whatever they do through his example in that story. Sly knows about as much boxing as I do and I know a few things here and there. Don't you think they told him what to say and prepped him to actually know what he's talking about 10% of the time? Cmon solo, don't fall for Hollywood stunts. Sugar Ray should have stood up and took over the rigns as a "real" boxer and not some Hollywood remake of Cinderella Man, no pun intended. It interests me at the beginning of the show to see SLY, but once I saw the drama and lack of knowledge for boxing, I was discouraged to watch anymore. The Contender show itself is an interesting concept, but honesty, it is boxing and that kind of atmosphere will never last. Remember, its for entertainment purposes mostly. Someone is always trying to make a buck on anothers talent. I think you need to get back in the gym, your posts are losing their flavor!

Rocko out...

solo1bc
06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
I still disagree Rocko mate... I never said he INTENDED to do a lot for boxing but HE DID!

The first time I saw a Sugar Ray fight was when I really got into boxing so I'm biased towards the Contender but I just think that Stallone (who is a producer on the show so it's his concept & investment) deserves some credit for both Rocky & The Contender..

He could have made a film or TV show about wrestling, surfing or whatever but he DID inspire a whole bunch of kids to A) take an interest in boxing and 'be like' Rocky and B) keep trying at anything to succeed..

For example, until the Rocky movies, I had no idea what the training techniques were... I'd never seen a speed bag (or someone chase a chicken!)

I never said he was an expert or the most well spoken man on the planet (milyun dollars!) but he's done a lot for the sport.. Intentionally or not!

http://img14.echo.cx/img14/8818/rockyl6he.jpg

And BTW.. I know as much about baking as you know about boxing... By which I mean... **** ALL...