Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toney and Dana behind closed doors

This is from January but I hadn't seen it before, pretty interesting

My favourite exchange:

Dana: Have you ever been kicked in the leg before? Have you been working on that? Do you know how to check kicks?
    JT: Yeah, front kick, back kick, all of 'em, side-check kick...
    Dana: Ummm...

lmao!!! thanks for sharing bro. *watching them now*

Comment

not that I agree with this James Toney signing, but boxing IS a martial art... just like wrestling, jiu-jitsu, muay-thai... so I don't get why amateur wrestling champs and jiu-jitsu champs have an easier road to the UFC than a boxing champ. It doesn't make sense. kind of a double standard there I think.

having said that, I hate this Toney signing. Unless Dana gives Toney a 1 shot tryout fight against Kimbo on Spike TV... only then would I be able to tolerate this.
      Last edited by -Swizzy-; 04-09-2010, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
        not that I agree with this James Toney signing, but boxing IS a martial art... just like wrestling, jiu-jitsu, muay-thai... so I don't get why amateur wrestling champs and jiu-jitsu champs have an easier road to the UFC than a boxing champ. It doesn't make sense. kind of a double standard there I think.

having said that, I hate this Toney signing. Unless Dana gives Toney a 1 shot tryout fight against Kimbo on Spike TV... only then would I be able to tolerate this.
        You sort of contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. I mean if you say you respect boxing as a martial art, then you should have no problem with boxers coming to the UFC and trying their hand at it.

Everyone knows that Toney is a beast with his hands, he can make Anderson Silva look slow and lethargic. At the same time, he can't wrestle, so it's a classic example of boxing vs wrestling. If he doesn't KO someone before they get the take down, he's done.

I would love to see a lagit boxer closer to his prime like Toney get a chance in the octagon. Better than seeing a 50 year old Ray Mercer in there IMO.

Comment

i don't think boxers have a "harder" road to the ufc than wrestlers, bjj'ers, muay thai guys etc, I just think fewer boxers enter MMA in the first place because there is more money at the top level in boxing than there is in MMA.

Comment

Thanks for posting the video. I don't think boxers have a harder time than grapplers converting too mma it's just that most boxers don't cross train. The better wrestler dictates where the fight takes place...

Comment

Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
              You sort of contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. I mean if you say you respect boxing as a martial art, then you should have no problem with boxers coming to the UFC and trying their hand at it.

Everyone knows that Toney is a beast with his hands, he can make Anderson Silva look slow and lethargic. At the same time, he can't wrestle, so it's a classic example of boxing vs wrestling. If he doesn't KO someone before they get the take down, he's done.

I would love to see a lagit boxer closer to his prime like Toney get a chance in the octagon. Better than seeing a 50 year old Ray Mercer in there IMO.
              didn't contradict myself because I said I have a problem with James Toney's signing not boxers in general getting signed. I don't think Toney should even be boxing much less fighting MMA. Thats my problem with that. But there were other boxers that wanted a shot at the UFC and were turned down. Thats my beef.
              Originally posted by snakey112 View Post
              i don't think boxers have a "harder" road to the ufc than wrestlers, bjj'ers, muay thai guys etc, I just think fewer boxers enter MMA in the first place because there is more money at the top level in boxing than there is in MMA.
              Yeah maybe you're right but, do you think a very accomplished amateur boxer would be able to get into the UFC as easily as Lesnar did? I doubt it.
              Last edited by -Swizzy-; 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

didn't contradict myself because I said I have a problem with James Toney's signing not boxers in general getting signed. I don't think Toney should even be boxing much less fighting MMA. Thats my problem with that. But there were other boxers that wanted a shot at the UFC and were turned down. Thats my beef.
                My bad, I misunderstood then. I think Toney would be exciting for the UFC or MMA in general. To be honest, not saying you are but I think down deep inside a lot of hardcore MMA fans don't want to see a boxer have any level of success in mma.

Yeah maybe you're right but, do you think a very accomplished amateur boxer would be able to get into the UFC as easily as Lesnar did? I doubt it.
                Boxers are limited martial artists and fundamentally can't compete with guys who have been wrestling all their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
                  Boxers are limited martial artists and fundamentally can't compete with guys who have been wrestling all their lives.
                  wrestlers don't know how to submit or ground and pound. they learn this during the MMA training. Whereas boxers know how to KO. I think boxing is a more effective tool going into mma than wrestling is. Wrestling is also really good, but just the raw wrestling style doesn't do much in mma unless combined with other tools, whereas boxing is good on its own.

Comment

if he can stop guys taking him down or at least get back up, how is Toney any worse than Junior Dos santos ? a fighter smashing his way to the top with average standup [by comparison to toney]

Comment

Working...
                    X