View Full Version : You thought Brock had big hands?

kaps
04-04-2010, 06:08 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/421190/4472349433_4ee97cf1f2_b.jpg

kaps
04-04-2010, 06:10 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2ivcpj4.jpg

F l i c k e r
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I heard Joe Rogan saying one time that the only person with a glove size bigger than Brock in the UFC was Carwin.

The second pic is gold though. :rofl:

Bullrush
04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
mir dwarfed him but carwins hands are huge for sure

$BloodyNate$
04-04-2010, 09:40 PM
mir dwarfed him but carwins hands are huge for sure

Yeah Lesnar is still way bigger then him. It's not like Lesnar's gonna box him either.

Equilibrium
04-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Since we're on a similar topic, in the Mir vs Carwin tale of the tape, it said Mir was 6'3 and Carwin was 6'5, but when they met in the center of the ring for the referee instructions, mir was clearly slightly taller than carwin.

What's up with that?

kaps
04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Carwin says He's 6'2" he says he doesn't know where the UFC got 6'5" from. By the time the Brock fight comes around they'll be saying he's 6'9"....

'Sugar' Freddi
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Wait, is the first picture real?

kaps
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Wait, is the first picture real?

Yes. The second picture is shopped....

'Sugar' Freddi
04-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Yes. The second picture is shopped....

Yeah, I figured the second was but damn, that's a huge difference.

I got Carwin to beat Lesnar by the way. If anyone wants to bet, I'm giving 2:1 odds.

Spartacus Sully
04-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Wouldnt smaller hands cause the force of impact to be spread out over a smaller surface which in turn would result in a more piercing and powerful punch?

Clegg
04-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I figured the second was but damn, that's a huge difference.

I got Carwin to beat Lesnar by the way. If anyone wants to bet, I'm giving 2:1 odds.

Sure, I'll put 2M on Lesnar? Or less if you want a smaller bet.

Left Banned Tua
04-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Wouldnt smaller hands cause the force of impact to be spread out over a smaller surface which in turn would result in a more piercing and powerful punch?

bigger hands more punching power.

kaps
04-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Bigger hands = larger area of impact = bigger chance of rattling your brain....

Spartacus Sully
04-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Bigger hands = larger area of impact = bigger chance of rattling your brain....

so its easier to ko some one with a slap then a punch?

DR.ORGYY
04-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Damn that dude is a beast.....

Pecs
04-05-2010, 04:06 AM
that is one big Engineer

aldo.ray
04-05-2010, 04:42 AM
i think the are just swollen and their in the gloves, so thats why they look so big

kaps
04-05-2010, 05:04 AM
so its easier to ko some one with a slap then a punch?

I've seen Bas Ko people with open hand strikes but no, the fist is tight, a slap is loose. Think before you post...

Spartacus Sully
04-05-2010, 06:04 AM
I've seen Bas Ko people with open hand strikes but no, the fist is tight, a slap is loose. Think before you post...

guess in a way it kinda makes sense where with large hands your more likely to move the head in turn moving the brain but its not that much of an advantage since with smaller hand your more likely to break bones and bruise.

Bullrush
04-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Since we're on a similar topic, in the Mir vs Carwin tale of the tape, it said Mir was 6'3 and Carwin was 6'5, but when they met in the center of the ring for the referee instructions, mir was clearly slightly taller than carwin.

What's up with that?

carwin is 6'1. they measured him at the nfl combine about 10 years ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/topplayers/139.html

Shane Carwin
Western St.
Ht: 6013
Wt: 257

the ufc loves to hype him for the lesnar fight so they make him look incredibly huge. there was a joke going around that by the time carwin faces lesnar the ufc would have him listed at like 12'5 and 750 pounds, thats how much the ufc just continues to make him look bigger and bigger every time he wins

murmagic
04-05-2010, 08:39 AM
brock is still gonna beat hiim tho

Mr. Beelzebub
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
There should be a super heavyweight class. People like Nog shouldn't be fighting these f'n freaks.

Virgil Caine
04-06-2010, 01:44 AM
As for the hand-size thing as it relates to power, force of impact is a product of mass as well as velocity. To put it simply, if two objects traveling at the same velocity each collide with an immovable object, it is the object with the greater mass which will have the greater impact.

It is just like how if you have a car and a van each traveling at 60 mph, it is the van which will be traveling with greater force due to the greater mass.

Hence, the massive hands equate to added power compared to less massive hands.

Spartacus Sully
04-06-2010, 02:17 AM
As for the hand-size thing as it relates to power, force of impact is a product of mass as well as velocity. To put it simply, if two objects traveling at the same velocity each collide with an immovable object, it is the object with the greater mass which will have the greater impact.

It is just like how if you have a car and a van each traveling at 60 mph, it is the van which will be traveling with greater force due to the greater mass.

theres alot more weight to a punch then just the fist. with good technique you can put almost all of your body weight behind a punch so assuming they both have good technique and weigh the same, the size of their fist is irrelevant to how much mass is behind the punch.

not a van vs car but 2 cars of the same weight cept one has a bigger front end. which would most likely result in no noticeable diffrence.

Miley Montana
04-06-2010, 04:14 AM
anyone know who has a bigger penis?

Virgil Caine
04-06-2010, 09:37 AM
theres alot more weight to a punch then just the fist. with good technique you can put almost all of your body weight behind a punch so assuming they both have good technique and weigh the same, the size of their fist is irrelevant to how much mass is behind the punch.

not a van vs car but 2 cars of the same weight cept one has a bigger front end. which would most likely result in no noticeable diffrence.

You're right in a sense, I guess my example would apply more so to arm punches.

I'm no student of physics, however it does seem like the area of impact would have some discernible effect, maybe just in that it would have a wider range of damage. Of course I can see how a smaller fist could result in a more concentrated strike. Perhaps a larger hand is facilitative of a more clubbing sort of strike (ala George Foreman)?

It is an interesting question though. For the record, Shane does have the better technique compared to Brock, without a doubt. I don't know that anyone would argue otherwise though, simply looking at their body of work.

doomrider7
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
To anyone curious about the hand size it's an optical illusion. Carwins hands are big, but they're also closer to the camera thus they look even BIGGER.

Konstantin
04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
the ufc loves to hype him for the lesnar fight so they make him look incredibly huge. there was a joke going around that by the time carwin faces lesnar the ufc would have him listed at like 12'5 and 750 pounds, thats how much the ufc just continues to make him look bigger and bigger every time he wins

Yeah I was surprised to see he wasn't that much bigger than Mir.

Zhaakal
04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
That is one huge ****ing hand. I bet his finger feels like a dick in her girls *****.

phallus
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM

it's not just that shane's hands are bigger, when he puts his whole body weight behind a punch, like the one that knocked manbearpig gonzaga the f*ck out, he puts his 262 lbs of big heavy bones and muscle behind every shot. shane reminds me of what george chuvalo said about getting hit by foreman, " it's like getting hit by a truck at 50 mph "

That is one huge ****ing hand. I bet his finger feels like a dick in her girls *****.

:rofl:

DeepSleep
04-07-2010, 04:24 AM

The size of the hand doesn't change the the size of the surface delivering the impulse to an opponents dome piece by a very large amount since most of the energy is transferred through a select few knuckles if it is landed correctly.

Also be careful how you approximate putting your whole body into a punch, the weight of your hand is at the end of your arm and its moment will be amplified by the radius of your arm. For example a bat with mass 10kg and length 1m with all the weight on the end will deliver a more concussive blow than a 15kg with similar dimensions bat with a constant distribution if they are both swung at the same angular speed. For example it is "easier" to swing a baseball bat flipped upside down since it's moment is lower but if you hit a ball like that it wouldn't go as very far for the same reason. Still overall the size of your hands doesn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Also for example think of punching someone with a 2lb weight in your hand. Even though the weight is small it will increase the effect of your punch tremendously. (If we assume you could punch at the velocity with the with as without it.)