View Full Version : The Most Underrated Title Reign?

Southpaw16BF
04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Post some titles reigns that you feel get underrated?

Joey Giardello
04-03-2010, 12:22 PM
South African legend Brian Mitchel he made something like 9 defences of his title and for nearly all of them he had to travel to the home fighters country

Southpaw16BF
04-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Mitchell title reign is very underrated come to think of it.

mhager91490
04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Ezzard Charles' Heavyweight title reign deserves quite a bit more attention than it got.

Sugarj
04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Tommy Burns, he set the record for decades on title defenses by KO. I think Larry Holmes took it of him.

The beating Johnson gave him really hit his legacy.

The poor guy was only something like 5 ft 8 as a heavyweight. He deserves more respect than he gets.

EzzardFan
04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Bob Foster. Holds record for 11 KOs in LHW title fights. Ten title successful defences in 4 years with 7 KO's.

Sugarj
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Bob Foster was a true legend of the sport. His title reign is certainly not underated by me.

EzzardFan
04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Bob Foster was a true legend of the sport. His title reign is certainly not underated by me.

The problem with Bob is that people tend to remember him for his occasional forays into the HW division and his 8 round defeat by Ali. He is sometimes viewed as a third rate HW rather than a first class LHW.

blaze778
04-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Larry Holmes reign was underrated. He was champ for 7 years.

Sugarj
04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Ezzard, I agree and anyone who judges Foster on his losses to Ali and Frazier rather than as a light heavyweight is not a proper boxing fan in my opinion.

mickey malone
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Mitchell title reign is very underrated come to think of it.
I've been rapping on about Brian Mitchell and Gilberto Roman for months now, but nobody knows who Roman is, so I can't be bothered anymore..

How's about Mike O'Dowd?.. Was MW champ for 3 years with 7 defenses (mainly NC's)
Was he a cheat or something?

oldgringo
04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
I think Erik Morales had an underrated title reign. 9 defenses of his WBC title in a two and a half year span. Takes the title from Zaragoza and proceeds to defeat guys like Jones, Barrera and McCullough. All of the defenses, save Barrera I, were dominant performances as well.

gibo
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Bob Foster. Holds record for 11 KOs in LHW title fights. Ten title successful defences in 4 years with 7 KO's.

You forgot to mention, Foster was undefeated as a LHW. Only losses were to HW'S.

BennyST
04-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Veeraphol Sahaprom! I always bring this guy up as being underrated in every way. His title reign is one of the best at BW, ever.

He didn't start boxing until nearly thirty (28 I think), won a title after just three fights off the great BW champion Daorung Chuvatana, lost it to the just as great Nana Konadu, regained it around thirty years old and went on a long undefeated title streak over nearly a decade.

He finally lost it at about 38 years old to the rising star Hozumi Hasegawa, in a very close fight that could have gone either way. He was finally beaten properly in their rematch and finally looked his age too. Sadly he is still fighting even though looking more shot than Roy Jones could ever look.

He made 14 title defenses and beat a series of very good champions and contenders. Toshiaki Nishioka, current title holder, Joichiro Tatsuyoshi, another two or three time champ, 31-0 Adan Vargas, Rolando Pascua, the guy that knocked out undefeated Humberto 'Chiquita' Gonzalez for his title, along with aforementioned two time BW Daorong Chuvatana.

Not to mention Nana Konadu in his fourth and Hasagawa in about his fiftieth. Great fighter and could have been one of the ATG's if he had started his boxing career in his early twenties.

BennyST
04-05-2010, 03:23 AM
I think Erik Morales had an underrated title reign. 9 defenses of his WBC title in a two and a half year span. Takes the title from Zaragoza and proceeds to defeat guys like Jones, Barrera and McCullough. All of the defenses, save Barrera I, were dominant performances as well.

Morales has become underrated in general man. Everyone raves now about how everyone would beat him or that Pac of now would beat him without any trouble too. Prime for prime at 126 (even though Morales was better at 122), Morales wins every fight.

C.Y.
04-05-2010, 05:37 AM
larry holmes doesnt get the respect he deserves

EzzardFan
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
You forgot to mention, Foster was undefeated as a LHW. Only losses were to HW'S.

Thanks - very pertinent point.

ghost deini
04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
i agree with morales and holmes definitely

as soon as i read the title of the thread i though larry holmes he never got the respect he deserved yet he isn't the most likeable guy ever so maybe everything happens for a reason

geribeetus
04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
i wouldn't call holmes' reign underrated. the only person people ever pick over him in a fantasy fight is ali. he's been getting his due credit for years now.

fight_professor
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I say Larry Holmes. 7 years as HW champ. He is stuck between Ali and Tyson, the 2 supernovae of HW boxing.

Killer Angel
04-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Larry Holmes 71/2 Years as HW Champion.

bklynboy
04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
The problem with Bob is that people tend to remember him for his occasional forays into the HW division and his 8 round defeat by Ali. He is sometimes viewed as a third rate HW rather than a first class LHW.

absolutely

GJC
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Didn't that Peruvian fellow Mina beat Foster?

Obama
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Didn't that Peruvian fellow Mina beat Foster?

Ignore the Foster apologists. Anything over 175 is Heavyweight to them, despite the fact that fighting around 180 was usual for LHWs competing in non title fights. Far as I'm concerned Foster lost to 2 of the 4 best LHWs he ever faced, Doug Jones and Mauro Mina.

GJC
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Ignore the Foster apologists. Anything over 175 is Heavyweight to them, despite the fact that fighting around 180 was usual for LHWs competing in non title fights. Far as I'm concerned Foster lost to 2 of the 4 best LHWs he ever faced, Doug Jones and Mauro Mina.
To be fair to Foster though Obama, he was a lot less experienced than the pair of them.

Obama
04-24-2010, 04:31 PM
To be fair to Foster though Obama, he was a lot less experienced than the pair of them.

Foster was a world class Amateur, but you're right. They definitely had the experience edge.

Problem is they are still Mina and Jones. You think his apologists actually rate those two among the greatest Light Heavyweights of all time? Not hardly. Most don't even know who the hell Mina is. Jones they know because of his fight with Ali alone.

GJC
04-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Foster was a world class Amateur, but you're right. They definitely had the experience edge.

Problem is they are still Mina and Jones. You think his apologists actually rate those two among the greatest Light Heavyweights of all time? Not hardly. Most don't even know who the hell Mina is. Jones they know because of his fight with Ali alone.
I have to say that whilst I know Mina and admire his record I never saw too much of him to get a view.
My problem with him is that knowing that he fought 90% of his career in Peru is it a case of the other guy would have needed a knock down in each round to get a draw?

Obama
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
I have to say that whilst I know Mina and admire his record I never saw too much of him to get a view.
My problem with him is that knowing that he fought 90% of his career in Peru is it a case of the other guy would have needed a knock down in each round to get a draw?

Come now, Peru ain't Germany. :boxing:

Mina fought and defeated excellent opposition. And he beat Henry Hank in MSG. Unofficial UPI scorecard - 6-3-1 Mina

bklynboy
04-24-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm sympathetic to Foster. He was a quality champion for 5+ years with 10+ defenses and all he's remembered for is being KOed by Ali and Frazier.

GJC
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Mina fought and defeated excellent opposition. And he beat Henry Hank in MSG. Unofficial UPI scorecard - 6-3-1 Mina

No I'm probably being unfair there, just would have liked to have seen him travel a bit more.
Do know though that he beat Foster fair and square no hint of a hometown decision. The Cotton and Peralta wins are good ones on the resume too

Snopkins
04-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Dunce is trolling again I see.Here's me thinking that he had left to go post whore on his own forum after being called out on his lies.

Larry Holmes 71/2 Years as HW Champion.

Nothing underrated about Larry Holmes title reign.Most regard Holmes era as being pretty poor and he avoided ighting quite a few good heavyweights that were around back then

mickey malone
04-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Has anyone mentioned Dariusz Michalczewski?..

23 defenses at 175 including one undisputed title and an additional WBO strap at CW..

Jim Jeffries
04-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Has anyone mentioned Dariusz Michalczewski?..

23 defenses at 175 including one undisputed title and an additional WBO strap at CW..

And 20 of those were by stoppage if I remember right.

People usually just remember him as the guy Roy Jones Jr should've fought, but would've beaten.

mickey malone
04-25-2010, 01:11 AM
And 20 of those were by stoppage if I remember right.

People usually just remember him as the guy Roy Jones Jr should've fought, but would've beaten.
Or ducked, and could have lost to..

Jim Jeffries
04-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Or ducked, and could have lost to..

Depending on your perspective, lol.

I wish there was more film of him, but he was a durable guy who had power, and would have at least been somewhat of a threat.

mickey malone
04-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Depending on your perspective, lol.

I wish there was more film of him, but he was a durable guy who had power, and would have at least been somewhat of a threat.
Have you any info on why the fight never happened?