View Full Version : Higher On A ATG List, Roy Jones Jr Or Joe Frazier?

Southpaw16BF
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Who do you think should rank higher on a ATG list?

Sugarj
04-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Unquestionably Roy Jones.

Frazier is still an ATG though.

Southpaw16BF
04-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Unquestionably Roy Jones.

Frazier is still an ATG though.

Reasons why?

CarlosG815
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Joe Frazier.

Fought in one of the greatest era's, beat Ali, fought everybody and only lost to Ali and Foreman.

General Zod
04-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Roy Jones
Four division weight champion
best wins:
Toney(atg)
Hopkins(atg)
McCallum(past prime)(atg)
Johnson(past prime)

Shazam!
04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Joe Frazier.

Fought in one of the greatest era's, beat Ali, fought everybody and only lost to Ali and Foreman.

"Fought everybody" is a HIGHLY questionable statement when it comes to Joe Frazier.

Roy Jones was a better fighter P4P than Joe Frazier. No doubt. One of the most gifted boxers of all time, he totally dominated and embarassed everybody, including a 2 time heavyweight champion. He often looked bored he was that much better than everyone else.

THE REED™
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Roy Jones
Four division weight champion
best wins:
Toney(atg)
Hopkins(atg)
McCallum(past prime)(atg)
Johnson(past prime)

RUiz?!.....

Joey Giardello
04-02-2010, 04:50 PM

this is easy! its roy jones! by a mile! besides beating a rusty ali what else did frazier really do that was great? Roy was the best pound for pound fighter from 1994 til 2003, winning titles from middleweight up to heavyweight

Joey Giardello
04-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Joe Frazier.

fought every one??? he didnt fight norton, patterson, holmes or ron lyle

Sugarj
04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi Box2008, it looks like a few others have beaten me to this reply but Roy Jones dazzled the world and captured titles in a number of weight classes over ten years. Middle, Super middle, Light Heavy, Heavy and again light heavy.

Frazier was a superb fighter but his peak came and went within five years. His excellent victories over Ellis, Quarry, Bonavena, Ali and Bugner establish him as an ATG but only the Ali win really stands out.

Jones was arguably rated pound for pound number one for a decade and had a much greater number of winning title fights/defenses than Frazier in this time. Roy's victories over decent world champions Hopkins, Toney, Tarver, Griffin, Hill and Ruiz elevate him over Frazier for me. He also beat future world champs in Malinga and Woods. Most of the time he was so superior to even these guys!

Jim Jeffries
04-02-2010, 07:39 PM
fought every one??? he didnt fight norton, patterson, holmes or ron lyle

I don't think you can fault him for not fighting Holmes. Frazier was half blind and shot to hell by the time anyone knew who Larry was. Patterson was way past it, but I would've like to seen him fight Norton, though.

Frazier had some good wins

Jerry Quarry (X 2)
Jimmy Ellis (coming off successive wins over Patterson, Quarry and Bonavena)
Bob Foster (a top 10 ATG LHW)
Oscar Bonavena (X 2)
Buster Mathis

and of course the Ali win, but I think Roy Jones Jr takes this one. It was only Ali's third fight after the layoff which I don't think outweighs Roy's additional accomplishments.

Southpaw16BF
04-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Box2008, it looks like a few others have beaten me to this reply but Roy Jones dazzled the world and captured titles in a number of weight classes over ten years. Middle, Super middle, Light Heavy, Heavy and again light heavy.

Frazier was a superb fighter but his peak came and went within five years. His excellent victories over Ellis, Quarry, Bonavena, Ali and Bugner establish him as an ATG but only the Ali win really stands out.

Jones was arguably rated pound for pound number one for a decade and had a much greater number of winning title fights/defenses than Frazier in this time. Roy's victories over decent world champions Hopkins, Toney, Tarver, Griffin, Hill and Ruiz elevate him over Frazier for me. He also beat future world champs in Malinga and Woods. Most of the time he was so superior to even these guys!

Nice post man!

Sugarj
04-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Cheers bud!!!

titoi
04-03-2010, 10:03 PM
An all time great is a guy that you can say of, to your young son, "That was a man to be respected." By that measure, Smokin' Joe was an ATG and RJJ isn't even on the list, IMO.

General Zod
04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
RUiz?!.....
yall must of forgot:D

General Zod
04-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't think you can fault him for not fighting Holmes. Frazier was half blind and shot to hell by the time anyone knew who Larry was. Patterson was way past it, but I would've like to seen him fight Norton, though.

Jerry Quarry (X 2)
Oscar Bonavena (X 2)
Buster Mathis

and of course the Ali win, but I think Roy Jones Jr takes this one. It was only Ali's third fight after the layoff which I don't think outweighs Roy's additional accomplishments.

Do you know why Frazier never fought Sonny Liston?

C.Y.
04-05-2010, 06:41 AM
An all time great is a guy that you can say of, to your young son, "That was a man to be respected." By that measure, Smokin' Joe was an ATG and RJJ isn't even on the list, IMO.

idk about that, jones has certaintly fallen off but in his prime he was one hell of a fighter!! People are certainly gonna talk about jones 20 years from now

r.burgundy
04-05-2010, 12:21 PM
roy jones and not even close.he actually beat 2 prime atg's and won a piece of the hw title.only fighter he missed was darius but i cant fault him for not going to germany

r.burgundy
04-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Jerry Quarry (X 2)
Oscar Bonavena (X 2)
Buster Mathis

i can fault him for not fighting jimmy young,shavers and lyle though