View Full Version : James Toney

hateinyaeyes32
04-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Should fight at 205 in the UFC... I think itll be a better move for him due to his height and that he wont be weighing in at 265 like alot of guys he will be fighting... Im not sure whether he is fighting at Heavyweight or not, but Ive read somewhere that he is and I believe he said he even said he was going to, but I just dont think it's a good move for him... With his elite boxing skills, if he learns a little bit of Muay Thai and trains some wrestling, I think he could possibly become a contender at Light Heavyweight... And if he could drop down to 185, who would be better to give Anderson Silva a threat at Middleweight, than a former pro-boxer. The sport Anderson could not succeed in... Just some thoughts.

DR.ORGYY
04-02-2010, 04:58 AM
205 sounds good.......

snakey112
04-02-2010, 05:51 AM
anderson would destroy him

GreatestIam
04-02-2010, 06:54 AM
205 would be great... Evans, Rampage, Henderson, Silva can come up... First fight Couture vs Toney!

hateinyaeyes32
04-02-2010, 08:28 AM
anderson would destroy him
Not at 205, and not if he stands up with him either... I'd place dough on that. But unfortunately, it's not boxing, it's MMA, and Anderson would probably not be stupid enough to stand with the best striker the sport of MMA will witness... Especially since he himself has highly regarded gound skills with his BJJ Black belt from Minotauro Nogueira. So yeah, he'd probably tap Toney out in the first round... IF he could stay away from the punches.

-Nova-
04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Not at 205, and not if he stands up with him either... I'd place dough on that. But unfortunately, it's not boxing, it's MMA, and Anderson would probably not be stupid enough to stand with the best striker the sport of MMA will witness... Especially since he himself has highly regarded gound skills with his BJJ Black belt from Minotauro Nogueira. So yeah, he'd probably tap Toney out in the first round... IF he could stay away from the punches.

toney wont be easy to takedown as most think especially at 205. he has a huge frame and pwoer, and thats prolly all he would work on in sparring. He can KO silva, the way for silva to win is to throw headkicks/legkicks

cusd'amatokid
04-02-2010, 11:32 AM
i would really love to see some training videos of toney in preperation for his mma debut. im intrigued and i really wanna know how its coming along in the transitioning process.

#1Assassin
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
silva can only counterpunch, when someone isnt aggressive he just stands there.. toneys skills and smarts would be too much unless he could get the takedown.

silva aint knockin nothin out though, if they stand up toney sparks him out.

KESSLER
04-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Can Toney even make 205?

M Deezy
04-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Not like it matters what weight he fights at. hell be bigger attraction at heavy weight and thats all dana cares. its not like hes gonna make a legit run in any division. him signing is publicity

MJ406
04-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Not at 205, and not if he stands up with him either...would probably not be stupid enough to stand with the best striker the sport of MMA will witness....

considering Toney has never fought MMA before .. calling him the "best striker" in MMA is awfully bold to say

**and besides, striking is about more than just throwing punches.

Kakutogi-Gumi
04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I love how people totally disregards kicks and knees.

hateinyaeyes32
04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
considering Toney has never fought MMA before .. calling him the "best striker" in MMA is awfully bold to say

**and besides, striking is about more than just throwing punches.
Yes it is a bold thing to say, and I know its more than just throwing punches. I should have said he probably wouldnt be stupid enough to stand with the best "puncher" the sport of MMA will ever witness

kaps
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
LOL @ This thread. One shin too the neck and Toney will pull a dicktuck faster than Mercer......

hateinyaeyes32
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
LOL @ This thread. One shin too the neck and Toney will pull a dicktuck faster than Mercer......
you seem to forget this guy's taken some of the most devastating punches in heavyweight boxing history, and walked right through them... It'll be nothing new to him.

kaps
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
you seem to forget this guy's taken some of the most devastating punches in heavyweight boxing history, and walked right through them... It'll be nothing new to him.

You seem to forget that legs are stronger than arms, kicks are more powerful that punches, and that legs are also longer than arms....

Lakas
04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Can Toney even make 205?

Yes he can. He was at 220 and said he was going to train hard. He can easily do it

MJ406
04-02-2010, 06:53 PM

fair enough .. but getting hit with 12 oz gloves

and head kicked are two completely different things. so it that regards handling the kicks will very much be knew for James Toney.

**if you didn't already know Ray Mercer .. who by boxing standards has pretty good punch resistance

was finished with one head kick in a K-1 fight vs Remy Bonjasky.

kicks can be pretty lethal .. Frank Shamrock took too many from Cung Le and wound up with a broken arm.

TheNegation
04-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Not like it matters what weight he fights at. hell be bigger attraction at heavy weight and thats all dana cares. its not like hes gonna make a legit run in any division. him signing is publicity

Pretty much this.

Whether at 205 or 265 it won't make a difference, he's not going to make it to a title.

Fighting at HW would be better, IMO. I think he may be able to have minor success there. Not many good strikers at HW would make things interesting. Plus I'm not sure if he could even make 205.

LHW is just way too stacked. I can't see Toney winning any fights at 205.

TheNegation
04-02-2010, 07:36 PM

Getting puched in the head with 8-10oz gloves and getting someones shin upside your dome or to your leg are two very different things.

Remember, striking in MMA is not just punching.

Anyone with a decent kick can give Toney hell.

I'd say maybe 2 or 3 well placed, unchecked leg kicks and Toney will be completely useless.

Toney Loc
04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
He didn't bother making that weight for Boxing. I'm certain he won't make it for the UFC.