View Full Version : Muhammad Ali vs Mike Tyson pre fight hype

boxingbuff
04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I wonder if this fight would ever take place.Would Tyson go crazy from Muhammad Ali's pre fight verbal barrage and attack him?

Ali would be getting under his skin making fun of his voice,naming him like he did other fighters like the rabbit,the big ugly bear,the gorrilla,etc. etc.

How would Tyson react to Muhammad Ali's verbal barrage? Mocking him? Making fun of him? Taunting him?

CarlosG815
04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
I wonder if this fight would ever take place.Would Tyson go crazy from Muhammad Ali's pre fight verbal barrage and attack him?

Ali would be getting under his skin making fun of his voice,naming him like he did other fighters like the rabbit,the big ugly bear,the gorrilla,etc. etc.

How would Tyson react to Muhammad Ali's verbal barrage? Mocking him? Making fun of him? Taunting him?

He would try but I'm not sure that would work with Mike. He dealt with that all his life, and Ali would pay dearly for it in the ring.

Mike had good discipline and in his prime was surrounded by good people. I'm sure they'd find a way to get around that.

Sugarj
04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
The Tyson of the 90s and noughties was nothing like the Tyson of the 80s outside the ring.

In the 80s he wasn't exploding at press conferences or biting potential foes. The likes of Tirell Biggs, Larry Holmes and even Carl Williams gave him some serious verbal before their fights and paid for it in the ring. Tyson was a bit loose with the left elbow, but was largely in control of himself back then. I think Tyson's team would have prepared him for some silly antics from Ali and what to expect.

The build up would have been funny, there was alot of things Ali could poke fun at with Tyson. But I think Tyson would have saved his resentment for the ring.

Ali did name Tyson in the Champions Forever video made in 1988. He called him 'KONG'

'Kong, We'll have the showdown'
'If we cant fight now, we'll fight soon'
'If we cant get it here, we'll get it on the moon'

Ali was entertaining even with Parkinsons!!

res
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
He would try but I'm not sure that would work with Mike. He dealt with that all his life, and Ali would pay dearly for it in the ring.

Mike had good discipline and in his prime was surrounded by good people. I'm sure they'd find a way to get around that.

He might have dealing with it all his life but from what i have heard about him he didn't seal with it well.

Pay for it in the ring? If Tyson tried to go crazy against Ali and stop thinking, he is the one that would pay for it, he would be giving Ali exactly what he wanted.

Ali was big enough to control Mike on the inside in the clinch, and he had a great outside reach advantage so Tyson would have to use his head and time things right. Ali would be talking to him inside the ring too to make him lose his head.

Chex31
04-01-2010, 10:45 PM
The Tyson of the 90s and noughties was nothing like the Tyson of the 80s outside the ring.

In the 80s he wasn't exploding at press conferences or biting potential foes. The likes of Tirell Biggs, Larry Holmes and even Carl Williams gave him some serious verbal before their fights and paid for it in the ring. Tyson was a bit loose with the left elbow, but was largely in control of himself back then. I think Tyson's team would have prepared him for some silly antics from Ali and what to expect.

The build up would have been funny, there was alot of things Ali could poke fun at with Tyson. But I think Tyson would have saved his resentment for the ring.

Ali did name Tyson in the Champions Forever video made in 1988. He called him 'KONG'

'Kong, We'll have the showdown'
'If we cant fight now, we'll fight soon'
'If we cant get it here, we'll get it on the moon'

Ali was entertaining even with Parkinsons!!

Truly the greatest.

Is there a video of that?

One more round
04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Ali would have had the mental advantage over any version of Mike, and here's why:

In the 80's Mike was way more level headed, but thing was he was still young and not as intelligent as Ali. Ali would have taken advantage of that, said some hurtful stuff, discredited him, his opponents, and maybe even try to provoke Mike into a pre fight brawl.

In the 90's...Well, Ali would have had so much material to work with, and Mike was so unstable, he would have completely psyched him out.

Ali was not an educated guy (he failed a basic literacy test) but he was very intelligent as a person and as a boxer.

DeepSleep
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Ali would have Tyson beat before the fight even started. Tyson is the perfect guy for Ali to bait into trying to take his head off. Tyson would unravel in the ring and get shredded I'm afraid. If we could somehow quarantine Tyson from Ali during the pre-fight hype and deafen him temporarily for the actual fight I think he could make Ali sweat a little bit.

neoaquino
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM

i remember the movie ali where ali was taunting sonny liston and sonny just glared at him and said "im gonna ****ing kill ya" probably tyson will say the same thing =)

Heeb
04-02-2010, 12:05 AM
You know people think this fight would be amazing when it was the whole marketing campaign for Fight Night Round 4.

them_apples
04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
You know people think this fight would be amazing when it was the whole marketing campaign for Fight Night Round 4.

It's funny too because I usually use Tyson or Frazier to deal with Ali.

JAB5239
04-02-2010, 01:22 AM
i remember the movie ali where ali was taunting sonny liston and sonny just glared at him and said "im gonna ****ing kill ya" probably tyson will say the same thing =)

Liston also thought he needed a psychological advantage by putting towels under his robe after seeing Ali at the weigh in and realizing Ali was bigger than him. That tells me Ali was already under his skin mentally.

CarlosG815
04-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Tyson is a better, perfected version of Frazier, plus some talent.

Tyson is awesome and unphased by Ali's bull****. Rooney calms him down before a fight and has him focused.

Insane Ninja
04-02-2010, 03:12 AM
As has been said, I think how Tyson handles it depends entirely on which Tyson we are talking about and (perhaps even more importantly) who he has around him in his entourage.

Tyson on the downhill of his career would have blown up at the press conference and gotten himself disqualified early in the fight. He was unstable and everyone around him would just push him even more down that road.

Early-to-prime Tyson, he would have had the right people to help direct his anger into the match, rather than let it break him down. He still might not win the fight (actually, if Tyson/Ali were to actually fight, I think Tyson would have won the first fight, Ali any subsequent return bouts), but he wouldn't get disqualified and he'd have definitely put some hurt out there.

Sugarj
04-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi Chex, I haven't checked You Tube but you sould be able to Ebay or Amazon a copy of the documentary 'Champions Forever'. It is out on VHS and DVD. Great Documentary featuring Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton & Holmes.

I think Ali said these lines (or very similar) towards the end of the documentary. On the DVD the extras have 30 minutes of a meal they all attended. Frazier and Norton were clearly a little leathered and Holmes was spouting off too about how prime for prime he would have beat them all. A sober looking George Foreman didn't look too impressed. Quality viewing.......

boxingbuff
04-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Tyson is awesome and unphased by Ali's bull****. Rooney calms him down before a fight and has him focused.

Ali fought Frazier after a 3 1/2 year lay-off.He was slower,reflexes alot slower,legs were not the same,he couldn't dance like in his prime,he couldn't pull his head back as quick as in his prime to avoid punches,hand speed slower,etc. etc.

Yes,Tyson was better than Frazier....But Ali was alot better in his prime(1966/67) than he was in 1971 when he fought Frazier.

BTW-Do you think Tyson would KO Muhammad Ali if he laid on the ropes?

Jim Jeffries
04-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Ali fought Frazier after a 3 1/2 year lay-off.He was slower,reflexes alot slower,legs were not the same,he couldn't dance like in his prime,he couldn't pull his head back as quick as in his prime to avoid punches,hand speed slower,etc. etc.

Yes,Tyson was better than Frazier....But Ali was alot better in his prime(1966/67) than he was in 1971 when he fought Frazier.

BTW-Do you think Tyson would KO Muhammad Ali if he laid on the ropes?

Yeah Frazier (or Norton) would never have beaten Ali without the layoff. Ali did end up adding elements to his game later to make up for what he'd lost, but when I think about a Tyson/Ali matchup, I think about the 66/67 Ali.

Tyson was fairly easy to tie up, as guys like Smith and Tucker showed. I think between that and frustrating him with the jab from a distance and continually moving laterally, Mike would gradually be broken down mentally.

res
04-11-2010, 04:21 PM

No he isn't, he's a better version of Patterson.

badboy125
04-11-2010, 04:22 PM
this wont happen

NChristo
04-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I think Ali said these lines (or very similar) towards the end of the documentary. On the DVD the extras have 30 minutes of a meal they all attended. Frazier and Norton were clearly a little leathered and Holmes was spouting off too about how prime for prime he would have beat them all. A sober looking George Foreman didn't look too impressed. Quality viewing.......

Yeah I seen that, Holmes said he could handle all of the ATG Heavyweights and that Jack Johnson would give him the most trouble, but at the meal when the interviewer said
"So Holmes you never did fight Foreman"
Holmes shouted "THANK GOD !" immediately after and said that he's happy they never fought.
Yet he spouts all this hate for Foreman in other interviews about Foreman apparently ducking him, makes you think :P.

The interview was hilarious :P they were all drunk and having a laugh, good to see legends like them acting the way they were.

NChristo
04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Liston also thought he needed a psychological advantage by putting towels under his robe after seeing Ali at the weigh in and realizing Ali was bigger than him. That tells me Ali was already under his skin mentally.

I thought Liston always put towels under his robe to make his shoulders look wider then they were and to look more intimidating, not just at the Ali fight.

JAB5239
04-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I thought Liston always put towels under his robe to make his shoulders look wider then they were and to look more intimidating, not just at the Ali fight.

You may be right, Im only going by what I've read. Either way I think Ali had Listons number before the first fight even started.

Holtol
04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Ali could beat Tyson up or get him to Dq himself just as easy.And in the pre fight if Tyson pissed him off and if he wanted to he could mental institution his a**.