View Full Version : Peņalosa challenges Rafael Marquez

Epie2
12-03-2004, 04:48 AM
Gerry Peņalosa just won the World Boxing Foundation 115 crown. But he struggled to make the weight. He focuses his sight on IBF 118 champ Rafael Marquez. Marquez's aggressive style suites well with the accurate counter-punching Peņalosa. Take your pick.

THRILLAinmanila
12-03-2004, 04:49 AM
Gerry Peņalosa just won the World Boxing Foundation 115 crown. But he struggled to make the weight. He focuses his sight on IBF 118 champ Rafael Marquez. Marquez's aggressive style suites well with the accurate counter-punching Peņalosa. Take your pick.

Gerry Penalosa wins via SD

muay
12-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Yeah, Rafa's style is perfect fit for the slugger/counterpuncher Gerry Penalosa. BUT Rafa is waaay too BIG for Penalosa, at fight time vs. Pastrana, Rafa weighed in at a whopping 132 lbs!

I say he takes on ex-WBC flyweight champ Chartchai Sasakul as a warm-up for a possible showdown with ex-victim and current WBO bantam champ Sor Vorapin. Forget WBC Veeraphol Sahaphrom he's been overly protected, his team is aiming for a bantam record of 20 title defenses (he's at #14 now).

nadz
12-03-2004, 05:00 AM

I Agree, but im waiting for Rey Boom Boom Bautista to take that challenge,but he's only 18 yrs old too young to face Rafael Marquez

muay
12-03-2004, 05:17 AM
I Agree, but im waiting for Rey Boom Boom Bautista to take that challenge,but he's only 18 yrs old too young to face Rafael Marquez

Not yet. Keep him away from Rafa. He is too young, inexperienced, untested and should be properly molded just like the way Cotto was. Give him fights in the US for some int'l. exposure (outside Asia) against some journeymen just to build his confidence, then slowly increase the calibre of his opponents. In 2 years time, I think he'll be ready for the big time.

sean2079
12-03-2004, 07:04 AM
rafael is too big for gerry, but anything can happen in boxing

JOM'S
12-03-2004, 12:55 PM
rafael is too big for gerry, but anything can happen in boxing

yeah your right Sean, anything can happen in boxing, plus it will be a bigger payday for Penalosa....

but an easier road to win back the championship are againts the Thais...

jabsRstiff
12-03-2004, 01:52 PM
I saw Penalosa fight once, back in '97. I thought he was brilliant.
But, that was a long time ago, & Marquez is a bigger guy, in his prime, & packing some serious heat in his fists.
I'd love to see Gerry as sharp as he was that lone night, years back. But, I have huge doubts that he can/will.

abdiel2k3
12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
nevr seen dis guy fight
ill look for some of his fights
and then lay down my verdict
meeting is ajurned
"smashes his gaval on his desk"

olympic boy
12-03-2004, 10:07 PM
go for it gerry!!!!!! :D

INFAMOUZ
12-04-2004, 01:30 AM
I Think This Is Good Fight For Gerry

Go Gerry By Sd

psychopath
12-04-2004, 11:51 AM

If this is true . . . this is going to be a make or break for Gerry . . . he needs to pass through the "eye of a needle" . . . but if he makes it . . . instant stardom. . . but is Rafa willing to give him that chance? :D

jont
12-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Gerry penalosa will not beat Marquez. He is not strong or slick enough to evade Marquez for 12 rounds. Penalosa lost his chances when he got robbed by those running ass Asian fighters he fought a few years back.

the0source
01-26-2005, 01:45 AM
I saw Gerry's last fight, he's too rusty in my opinion...
He lost some of his speed, although he's very good defensively, but can he take a solid punch from Rafa?
He wont last against Rafa...

mr. bojangles
01-26-2005, 02:04 AM
I saw Gerry's last fight, he's too rusty in my opinion...
He lost some of his speed, although he's very good defensively, but can he take a solid punch from Rafa?
He wont last against Rafa...

That's what's worrying me - Rafa's punching power. Gerry can counterpunch alright, but he'll have to eat some of Rafa's shots first before he can counter.

He'll have more chances against Martin Castillo and Kawashima @115...and the long-time WBC champ @118 Veeraphol or former TKo victim WBO champ Sor Vorapin.

Can someone convince him to stay away from Rafa Marquez? at least for the moment.

Sir_Jose
01-26-2005, 02:22 AM
nevr seen dis guy fight
ill look for some of his fights
and then lay down my verdict
meeting is ajurned
"smashes his gaval on his desk"

This is why people roll there eyes at the alot of the Pinoy fans.

Gery Penolosa held a belt for one year back in 97 and made 2 defenses. Has not done a single thing since losing it 7 years ago. He has had two fights on his comeback against a guy who was 0-0-0 and against a guy who was 3-0.

First of all what in the hell has he even done to deserve a title shot? Let alone against a p4p fighter like Rafeal Marquez.

The fact that people think he can even be competative speaks volumes about some of these guys.

Jose Rizal
01-26-2005, 02:40 AM

You're right. Boom Boom is a great young talent with topnotch skills but he's gonna need more experience and exposure before he takes on a killer like Rafael Marquez.

SweetScience
01-26-2005, 02:44 AM
This thread is funnier then Peter's challenge to Vitali.

chito
01-26-2005, 09:29 AM

Gery Penolosa held a belt for one year back in 97 and made 2 defenses. Has not done a single thing since losing it 7 years ago. He has had two fights on his comeback against a guy who was 0-0-0 and against a guy who was 3-0.

First of all what in the hell has he even done to deserve a title shot? Let alone against a p4p fighter like Rafeal Marquez.

The fact that people think he can even be competative speaks volumes about some of these guys.

well i think he deserves it that is if marquez agrees to defend his title against him and marquez is thinking maybe it's time to do some light workout.

peņalosa is an ex-champ and like jose rizal was telling us here, his style could be perfect for marquez' style. he's 32 years old and is close to semi-retirement. but i think he should do one more tune-up fight. i saw him the last time he fought here and he's really lost some of his speed and he's a little rusty. he should do a lot of conditioning and training if he wants to beat marquez because he's in for a very tough fight.

SweetScience
01-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Guys you must not like Penolosa too much, to want to see him get in the ring with Marquez. I know the money is good, but I rather see Marquez in the ring with a worthy opponent. If I wanted to watch Marquez beatup on an old man again, I'd watch Marquez/Johnson II.

Gryphon Hall
02-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I was under the impression that people thought that Barrera might give Pacquiao some trouble, too. Didn't happen, did it?

adrsan84
02-09-2005, 07:22 PM
I haven't seen much of Penalosa but I have seen Marquez several times and unless he's a great boxer or has a cast iron chin I highly doubt he'll be able to stick around with Marquez for 12 rounds, also he might not be big enough to hang but if it happens we'll find out.

AIR_KENG
02-09-2005, 08:19 PM
I was under the impression that people thought that Barrera might give Pacquiao some trouble, too. Didn't happen, did it?
MAB-MP was a different kind of story... manny was peaking then and he had his win streak before facing MAB... gerry, who's coming off non-sense fights (damn! i can't believe they made the last fight) after along lay-off is going to be given his retirement passport if he faces rafa now... he should take on other guys... rafa is on top of the world right now and id oubt that gerry will win against him...

ispayder
02-09-2005, 09:15 PM
MAB-MP was a different kind of story... manny was peaking then and he had his win streak before facing MAB... gerry, who's coming off non-sense fights (damn! i can't believe they made the last fight) after along lay-off is going to be given his retirement passport if he faces rafa now... he should take on other guys... rafa is on top of the world right now and id oubt that gerry will win against him...

I second the motion!

m00ks
02-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Didn't Johnson knock out Jones? Anything can happen

Sir_Jose
02-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Didn't Johnson knock out Jones? Anything can happen

Glen Johnson?

Well Glen had actually done something to get his shot. He had been fighting for years and had just won a share of the Title at 175.

and to top it off Roy Jones was coming off a KO loss so its not like it was prime Roy Jones here.

m00ks
02-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Glen Johnson?

Well Glen had actually done something to get his shot. He had been fighting for years and had just won a share of the Title at 175.

and to top it off Roy Jones was coming off a KO loss so its not like it was prime Roy Jones here.

ya I know but if you had money to bet don't tell me you would have put it on Glen.

JOM'S
02-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Penalosa is the most technical Filipino Figther I have seen and if he could stay away from RAFA he will do good, I mean stay away and fight for other belts...

anyway if the pay is good then go for it, Gerry will have the element of surprise on his side and thats always good for a Pinoy figther taking on the champ ...

czars_salad
02-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Penalosa is the most technical Filipino Figther I have seen and if he could stay away from RAFA he will do good, I mean stay away and fight for other belts...

anyway if the pay is good then go for it, Gerry will have the element of surprise on his side and thats always good for a Pinoy figther taking on the champ ...

i agree with you tol

the problem with penalosa is that, unlike pacquiao, he does not boast a very hard-knock-out punch; he relies heavily on combination

Verbl_Kint
02-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Peņalosa doesnt have enough power or technical ability to beat Rafael Marquez. One uppercut from this guy could put Gerry in the hospital.

mr. bojangles
02-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Peņalosa doesnt have enough power or technical ability to beat Rafael Marquez. One uppercut from this guy could put Gerry in the hospital.

One-punch KOs of Hurtado and the current WBO bantamweight champ isn't enough power? How 'bout that body shot he gave then WBC supafly champ Kawashima? The neat boxing & counterpunching lesson he gave Polo Saucedo wasn't technical enough?

He had style match-up problems with sleek boxers who moves a lot, that's it.

A clean shot from Rafa could send Gerry to the hospital - that I can agree.

Shaolin Bushido
02-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah, Rafa's style is perfect fit for the slugger/counterpuncher Gerry Penalosa. BUT Rafa is waaay too BIG for Penalosa, at fight time vs. Pastrana, Rafa weighed in at a whopping 132 lbs!

I say he takes on ex-WBC flyweight champ Chartchai Sasakul as a warm-up for a possible showdown with ex-victim and current WBO bantam champ Sor Vorapin. Forget WBC Veeraphol Sahaphrom he's been overly protected, his team is aiming for a bantam record of 20 title defenses (he's at #14 now).Marquez by KO.

.::|ULTIMATE|::.
02-12-2005, 03:39 AM
Marquez by KO.

julDilla
02-12-2005, 03:44 AM
Marquez by KO.

easily, brital KO

AIR_KENG
02-12-2005, 09:08 AM
easily, brital KO
i dont like to say this but, Marquez by KO

julDilla
02-12-2005, 05:03 PM
i dont like to say this but, Marquez by KO

well thats because your not a nuthugger

mauricio95
02-12-2005, 07:51 PM
you got to be kidding ha ha ha

rafael marquez by wild KO in mmmm? about let's say 2 rounds :D

delaboxeo
02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
As much as i hate to admit it, Marquez, by KO.

Sorry, Penalosa -- you just don't have it kid.

mr. bojangles
08-18-2006, 03:54 AM
2 years after this thread's been started, it's finally happening

http://img10.picsplace.to/15/gerraf.JPG

http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n10773.htm

http://img10.picsplace.to/15/gerraf2.JPG

Gerry is hoping to get his retirement pay.

JOM'S
08-18-2006, 04:22 AM
wooot!!! RAFA is OLD now at 31 ... but Gerry is older ... lol

Gerrys last fight although a WAR and FOY type of a fight, it was not impressive victory...

Gerry has to DO A LOT MORE against RAFA, like many I am not too optimistic on his chances, but he has to do whatever must be done...

Go Gerry Go!! Its NOW or NEVER!!

Katz
08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I thought Raf will move up @ 122 as he said in a post fight interview.

well Rafael is at his prime while Gerry is faded fighter. Gerry has a "very Slim chance" I pick Raf by KO.

patpat0928
08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
i'm a great gerry peņalosa fan eversince he won the super flyweight title in 1997, but i think he will have a difficult matchup with rafa marquez. it should have happened a long time ago, say 8 years ago when gerry was stil at his peak physical condition.

he has lost some of his speed and reflexes as i saw it on his last fight with tomas rojas. plus the fact that marquez is the naturally bigger fighter, who punches very hard. one thing going for gerry, if my memory doesnt fail me, is that he hasn't been knocked down before much less knocked out in a fight. his durability will be greatly tested with marquez.

Papa Ace
08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
wouldnt be surpised with a win by rafa but im a gerry penalosa fan forever. i cried when in jin choo bicycled his way to upset gerry years back.

call it what you want , win or lose, im for gerry :cool:

Papa Ace
08-18-2006, 08:56 AM
well come to think of it...

maybe marquez just wants to beat a filipino to finally get pacquiao's attention.

gerry is a national treasure, even though he is past his prime now. hence in beating him it will create news and people would clamor for revenge.

result? they would want pacquiao to avenge a loss via a fight with his older brother, juan.

...hhhhmmmmm :rolleyes:

Mech.
08-18-2006, 09:16 PM
well come to think of it...

maybe marquez just wants to beat a filipino to finally get pacquiao's attention.

gerry is a national treasure, even though he is past his prime now. hence in beating him it will create news and people would clamor for revenge.

result? they would want pacquiao to avenge a loss via a fight with his older brother, juan.

...hhhhmmmmm :rolleyes:

are you saying thats shady?

xcaret
08-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I cant wait til' Rafa beats that overrated piece of **** bum..

Papa Ace
08-19-2006, 02:36 AM

simply idiotic.

how can a two time world champion become over-rated??? :confused:

convinced you dont know espinosa and better yet, convinced you dont know boxing.

JOM'S
08-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Penalosa is not overrated he has mad technical skills and speed during his prime, although he is old now and most probably will get beat up by RAFA, but I am sure Gerry will give him a good fight ...

and we fans will be rewarded by an entertaining fight...

adrsan84
08-19-2006, 01:25 PM
He's going in to the lion's den and the chances of him winning are very very slim. if you saw his last fight you saw that early in the fight he was outboxing mabuza with his jab and then left to it to slug with him and wore him down.He'll probably do the same, but if penalosa is very durable it will be a tko stoppage or maybe even a decision. I cant see anyone beating Rafa at 118 or below, especially not someone on the verge of retirement although stranger things have happend.

nelsoncm
08-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Is there any other word in your dictionary other than "overrated" and "bum?"

I guess you're the only one overrating an old fighter who has been given a chance.

It was wise of you to remove your Prospects signature. Your prospects are slowly falling one by one to supposedly sacrificial lambs. First you jinxed was Escobedo. I wonder who's next. Maybe Mares or Paez Jr?

Alibata
08-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Is there any other word in your dictionary other than "overrated" and "bum?"

I guess you're the only one overrating an old fighter who has been given a chance.

It was wise of you to remove your Prospects signature. Your prospects are slowly falling one by one to supposedly sacrificial lambs. First you jinxed was Escobedo. I wonder who's next. Maybe Mares or Paez Jr?

Don't pay no attention to him. He is the resident idiot of this site. Nobody really takes his dumb ass seriously. He has no credibility and his record for predicting fights are ****. I think Marquez will be too much for an old worn out Penalosa. I think Gerry will hang in there till the end though. I hope Gerry proves me wrong though.

Sir_Jose
08-19-2006, 07:09 PM

are you ****ing kidding me

Epie2
08-20-2006, 04:52 AM
It was Dec 3 '04 when this thread was started. If the fight pushes through on Dec 2 '06, it would be 2 years to the day for us to see Gerry Peņalosa realize his wish to fight Rafael Marquez.

Still, take your pick.

eazy_mas
08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
At last a boxing fight in my country :D

Is it going to be PPV for you guy

Epie2
08-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, congratulations because it is not just another fight. It's big title fight featuring a current P4P fighter in Rafa.