View Full Version : Best Boxer Analyst HBO Had?

HaglerSteelChin
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
HBO has had several notable boxers who were analysts for fights. I think SRL was their best analyst when he worked in the early 1980's but there was also guys like George Foreman, Roy Jones, and Lennox Lewis. Who do you regard as the best boxer analyst they had? I regard Emmanuel Steward their best analyst but he won't be included since he is mainly regarded as a trainer. Poll to follow.

Clyde Barrow
03-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I loved Roy on the mic. He should do more announcing.

Joey Giardello
03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
My favourite always was roy jones

Snopkins
03-29-2010, 07:14 PM
"Sugar" Ray Leonard had the knowledge,the charisma and the charm to carry fights on his voice alone.He worked alongside an interested,prime Larry Merchant and an underrated barry Thompkins which capped off the greatest commentary team in the history of the sport of boxing.

Emanuel Steward doesn't have charisma and doesn't seem to realise that nobody gives a cares about who had a great amateur career.

any craic lad?
03-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Either roy or george

1SILVA
03-29-2010, 07:21 PM
HBO has had several notable boxers who were analysts for fights. I think SRL was their best analyst when he worked in the early 1980's but there was also guys like George Foreman, Roy Jones, and Lennox Lewis. Who do you regard as the best boxer analyst they had? I regard Emmanuel Steward their best analyst but he won't be included since he is mainly regarded as a trainer. Poll to follow.

No contest. Roy is one of the greatest color commentators of all time. After he gets ko'd again, he should go back to doing it full time.

CarlosG815
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
George was always entertaining and not afraid to tell it how it is.

Hi-Dro
03-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I think steward is the smartest, yet he doesn't bring exitement to the fight like jim's overly dramatic voice. I like George Foreman to, and Roy was a decent commentator.

peteraugusts
03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Roy Jones is one boxer who has provided a positive role model for young people. He is totally disciplined in his approach to training, avoids drugs and drink completely, is highly involved in his hometown community, and dedicates much of his time to charitable organizations.

CarlosG815
03-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Roy Jones is one boxer who has provided a positive role model for young people. He is totally disciplined in his approach to training, avoids drugs and drink completely, is highly involved in his hometown community, and dedicates much of his time to charitable organizations.

lol, did you listen to his rap album?

NChristo
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I liked George and Ray Alot but Roy gets my vote :P just thought he was the better commentator.

CarlosG815
03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I liked George and Ray Alot but Roy gets my vote :P just thought he was the better commentator.

He probably caught hell after the Lewis Holyfield fight.

I'm sure HBO doesn't like that and I always figured that was why George left.

If you weren't bias like Lampley they didn't want anything to do with you.

HaglerSteelChin
03-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I always felt that pretty much all the commentators in HBO come across as bias. Some more than others. Lampley and Merchant are pretty much Pacman nuthuggers and cheerleaders. Steward is less bias but overly critical but often he predicts events right before they happen. For example, he predicted the Morales Ko in the 2nd pac fight before it happened and also seconds before Tarver KOd jones he said "tarver is giving roy some problems" and it was still early in the fight.

Roy Jones is good but you can't get more bias than he was in the Brewster vs W. Klitschko fight; he seem to pretty much discredit Klitschko and be bias toward Brewster. SRL was much more neutral and objective. His jokes were funny and he never insulted his colleagues. Jones once told Merchant you "are not a boxer so you don't know how it is in the ring." Even Foreman who disagreed with Lampley and Merchant never said things like that. In the Jones vs Ruiz fight foreman disagreed with his colleagues about calling RUiz a paper champion but never went below the belt.

BigStereotype
03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
I think Roy likes to hear his voice too much. I remember watching a Floyd Mayweather fight (Gatti, maybe?) and he just would not shut up, and about inane bull**** nonetheless. Every chance he got, he would play a replay in super slow mo and just shout out the punches that Floyd was throwing like we couldn't see. George Foreman is just more entertaining.

Stopper
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
I liked Foreman the best.

One more round
04-01-2010, 01:06 AM
I always felt that pretty much all the commentators in HBO come across as bias. Some more than others. Lampley and Merchant are pretty much Pacman nuthuggers and cheerleaders. Steward is less bias but overly critical but often he predicts events right before they happen. For example, he predicted the Morales Ko in the 2nd pac fight before it happened and also seconds before Tarver KOd jones he said "tarver is giving roy some problems" and it was still early in the fight.

Roy Jones is good but you can't get more bias than he was in the Brewster vs W. Klitschko fight; he seem to pretty much discredit Klitschko and be bias toward Brewster. SRL was much more neutral and objective. His jokes were funny and he never insulted his colleagues. Jones once told Merchant you "are not a boxer so you don't know how it is in the ring." Even Foreman who disagreed with Lampley and Merchant never said things like that. In the Jones vs Ruiz fight foreman disagreed with his colleagues about calling RUiz a paper champion but never went below the belt.

Well to be fair he was right

Jury
04-01-2010, 05:50 AM
George told it like it was, it wasn't about him. Jones was more serious but he talked about himself most of the time.