View Full Version : The only person I think that can give GSP trouble at WW....

kaps
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/nick-diaz-4.jpg

Nick is on par or better than GSP standing and I don't thing Georges has fought someone with Nick's level of BJJ besides Penn. Nick is bigger and stronger than Penn though so I don't think GSP would be able to pass his guard so easily. I'm not saying Nick would win, but I think he has a better shot than anyone else....

KESSLER
03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Nick is a beast. I'd like to see him back in the UFC, fighting GSP.

Virgil Caine
03-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I actually think Daily may have a shot if he can manage to keep it on the feet enough (a big if). He has a big test though in Kos. which should answer some questions in the regard.

kaps
03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I actually think Daily may have a shot if he can manage to keep it on the feet enough (a big if). He has a big test though in Kos. which should answer some questions in the regard.

Daily has about as good of a chance as Hardy had. If Kos, Fitch, or Penn can't stop a GSP takedown Daily has no chance and his BJJ is crap....

Eric Holder
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
I think Nick has a shot at beating GSP, anyone know when his Strikeforce deal ends

Virgil Caine
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Daily has about as good of a chance as Hardy had. If Kos, Fitch, or Penn can't stop a GSP takedown Daily has no chance and his BJJ is crap....

I completely disagree with the Hardy comparison. Daley is far more dangerous on the feet and may be the most dangerous striker in the UFC. I'm not talking about stopping takedowns for 5 rounds, just finding the space to land strikes. Daley has 18 KOs in 23 wins, which is almost unheard of. He's also continued to improve his takedown defense. I'm not predicting that Daley would win by any means, but I'm saying he would be dangerous, that is if he can manage to get passed Koschek. Kos. should be considered the favorite in that one too, but if he can manage to keep Kos. off enough to land strikes and earn a victory he will have to be considered a threat to GSP.

K-Yo
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Don't know. I think the Zaromskis fight flattered Nick on the stand up. Zaromskis has good stand up but his defence is all over the place and trust me I train the same gym as him. I think GSP's stand up is far superior, Nick has top BJJ but so did BJ.

M Deezy
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Don't think nick would ever go back to the UFC. though i would love to see it. He doesnt like to follow the rules.

Sammy J
03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Couldn't agree more about this thread, although I don't think this fight will ever happen.

Daley is a better fighter than Dan Hardy on the standup. Please don't compare the both.

Nick Fury
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Did Nick leave the UFC or did they kick him out?

F l i c k e r
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I completely disagree with the Hardy comparison. Daley is far more dangerous on the feet and may be the most dangerous striker in the UFC. I'm not talking about stopping takedowns for 5 rounds, just finding the space to land strikes. Daley has 18 KOs in 23 wins, which is almost unheard of. He's also continued to improve his takedown defense. I'm not predicting that Daley would win by any means, but I'm saying he would be dangerous, that is if he can manage to get passed Koschek. Kos. should be considered the favorite in that one too, but if he can manage to keep Kos. off enough to land strikes and earn a victory he will have to be considered a threat to GSP.

Daley only has knock out power. Whoopty doo. Striking has already proven to be null and void against Post-Serra GSP. Two times already. He is about as dangerous to GSP as Thiago Alves was. We already seen what happened to guys with only KO power when they fight GSP.

Couldn't agree more about this thread, although I don't think this fight will ever happen.

Daley is a better fighter than Dan Hardy on the standup. Please don't compare the both.

Daley isn't better than Hardy. Knockout power doesn't make you automatically better. Hardy's stand up technique is second to none in the WW division, which automatically makes him better than Daley. You can't name one other WW that throws punches and kicks the correct way and cause effective damage outside of Hardy. Daley ONLY has knockout power which makes him dangerous, that is his ONLY asset. Hardy had knockout power but also had incredible technique, that is what separates Hardy from others in the stand up category.

I honestly don't see how people think great stand up in MMA is knockout power. That makes no sense what-so-ever. No wonder Boxing extremists talk **** about MMA. Lyoto Machida > Anthony Johnson..... Dan Hardy > Paul Daley..... Anderson Silva > Everyone in MMA.

Nick got kicked out for fighting Riggs in the hospital. Not only that but he also went on a losing streak after ktfo Lawler.

Onto topic: I agree with your point Kaps the problem is Nick is the most off and on fighter in all of MMA. You don't know what you will get with Nick. The guy who beat the **** out of Lawler? The guy who submitted Gomi? Or the guy who loses to Parysian and Sanchez? :dunno:

Nick would probably get controlled effortlessly though. His wrestling is horrible. Gomi freaking ragdoll'd him in their fight. If Gomi wasn't on empty, he would have never got the gogoplata. Gomi effortlessly reversed his takedowns, and even flipped his ass over. What would GSP do if Gomi could do that to him, ya know?

kaps
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Don't know. I think the Zaromskis fight flattered Nick on the stand up. Zaromskis has good stand up but his defence is all over the place and trust me I train the same gym as him. I think GSP's stand up is far superior, Nick has top BJJ but so did BJ.

Yeah but Nick is much bigger and stronger than BJ, which I think will be a big help in keeping GSP in Guard...

That's just the problem my friend, they are both strikers with terrible ground games and virtually no sprawl....

His contract was up and he signed with Strikeforce...

kaps
03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Onto topic: I agree with your point Kaps the problem is Nick is the most off and on fighter in all of MMA. You don't know what you will get with Nick. The guy who beat the **** out of Lawler? The guy who submitted Gomi? Or the guy who loses to Parysian and Sanchez? :dunno:

Nick would probably get controlled effortlessly though. His wrestling is horrible. Gomi freaking ragdoll'd him in their fight. If Gomi wasn't on empty, he would have never got the gogoplata. Gomi effortlessly reversed his takedowns, and even flipped his ass over. What would GSP do if Gomi could do that to him, ya know?

His fights with Parysian and Sanchez where both super close and could've gone either way IMO and he was robbed in the Riggs fight. Nick doesn't work on takedown defence or wrestling because he wants to be taken down most of the time. He's said it himself in a lot of interviews. I also believe Nick is a better fighter since the Gomi fight as well. Nick can make a good fight with anyone so and I think he has the tools to make Georges work harder than anybody else he's fought so far so I'd like too see it....

TheNegation
03-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Daley would do worse against GSP than Hardy, IMO.

Daley's striking is better than Dan's, but his ground game is 10x worse.

Diaz would be a good fight, but GSP is just way too strong and active from the top for Nick to get anything threatening going from bottom.

Nick has an advantage striking moreso than many of GSP's past opponents just because of the sheer volume of punches he throws. But I see no reason why GSP couldn't repeatedly take him down and pummel him for as long as he sees fit. Plus given Nick's tissue paper skin, GSP could probably get a TKO win by cut or ref stoppage.

F l i c k e r
03-29-2010, 08:27 PM
His fights with Parysian and Sanchez where both super close and could've gone either way IMO and he was robbed in the Riggs fight. Nick doesn't work on takedown defence or wrestling because he wants to be taken down most of the time. He's said it himself in a lot of interviews. I also believe Nick is a better fighter since the Gomi fight as well. Nick can make a good fight with anyone so and I think he has the tools to make Georges work harder than anybody else he's fought so far so I'd like too see it....

Man, you know I like Nick but I don't know. The size difference is just massive when I think about Nick's skinny ass body and GSP's massive frame. Maybe if those long legs of his can get around GSP thick body, then I can see GSP having a bit more work to do but so far everyone with BJJ can't do a damn thing against GSP.

Rubber guard is the best bet to control GSP's posture but no one has legs long enough to wrap around his big body. Maybe Nick's legs could do the job. Crack head control would work 10x better though. lol

kaps
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Nick could keep pace with GSP for sure. His luck would be he'd beat him and test positive for weed again and it be taken off his record like the Gomi fight LOL...

F l i c k e r
03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Nick could keep pace with GSP for sure. His luck would be he'd beat him and test positive for weed again and it be taken off his record like the Gomi fight LOL...

That would sound like Nick for ya. I don't remember a Gomi fight happening though. It never happened, thats what the records say. :rofl:

kaps
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
That would sound like Nick for ya. I don't remember a Gomi fight happening though. It never happened, thats what the records say. :rofl:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfU7ZyLV4vk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfU7ZyLV4vk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

F l i c k e r
03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfU7ZyLV4vk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfU7ZyLV4vk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I thought that was a friendly spar. :dunno:

That **** breaks my heart every time I see that though. The only fight of Gomi's I can't watch multiple times. :nonono:

mic573
03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Nick Diaz? Really?

I like him as a fighter but he is not on GSP's level. The guy can't beat fighters who are not even close to the level of GSP and he is expected to give GSP trouble. I don't think so. It would be another dominant win for GSP.

kaps
03-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Nick Diaz? Really?

I like him as a fighter but he is not on GSP's level. The guy can't beat fighters who are not even close to the level of GSP and he is expected to give GSP trouble. I don't think so. It would be another dominant win for GSP.

If you don't count that bull**** cut stoppage, Nick Diaz's last loss was 4 years ago to Sherk, all his loses before that could've gone the other way and a couple should have. There are no fighters close to the level of GSP, Nick just has the tools to make it a fight...

TheNegation
03-30-2010, 12:00 AM
If you don't count that bull**** cut stoppage, Nick Diaz's last loss was 4 years ago to Sherk, all his loses before that could've gone the other way and a couple should have. There are no fighters close to the level of GSP, Nick just has the tools to make it a fight...

Funny that his last legit loss was to Sherk, yet people think he'll be able to beat GSP.

TBEC2
03-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Diaz would create a new set of problems for GSP but i thing he would get taken down frequently and with little effort on GSP's part.

I for one think that a better match up would be Jake Shields.
He may not have the stand up of Nick Diaz but he makes up for it in wrestling, which has been GSP's main goal in all of his fights after Serra.

I dont see GSP being able to control Shields as easily as he has past opponents.
On top of that Shields may actually be physically bigger and stronger.
His last performance was very lack luster so it makes my opinion hold a little less merit.
I guess we'll see how the Hendo fight pans out.

F l i c k e r
03-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Diaz would create a new set of problems for GSP but i thing he would get taken down frequently and with little effort on GSP's part.

I for one think that a better match up would be Jake Shields.
He may not have the stand up of Nick Diaz but he makes up for it in wrestling, which has been GSP's main goal in all of his fights after Serra.

I dont see GSP being able to control Shields as easily as he has past opponents.
On top of that Shields may actually be physically bigger and stronger.
His last performance was very lack luster so it makes my opinion hold a little less merit.
I guess we'll see how the Hendo fight pans out.

Jake Shields has just as much chance as Nick. Besides bjj he pretty much has nothing. His size could be useful against GSP but lets face it, if the guy can't physically handle himself or GSP. He will lose. Nick on the other hand uses crafty positioning and slick bjj where he doesn't need to use size or strength to handle opponents.

No fighter at WW makes sense to fight GSP, he's just too physically stronger. Let's face it, GSP is a MW fighting WWs, because he isn't doing anything but imposing his size and strength on guys. At MW there are a ton of guys who can handle GSP. Yushin Okami, Chael Sonnen, Anderson Silva just to name a few.

kaps
03-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Funny that his last legit loss was to Sherk, yet people think he'll be able to beat GSP.

I never said he'd be able to beat him. Look back at the first post. I just said I think Nick has the tools to give him trouble. Jake Sheilds has worse stand up and BJJ than Nick. The only thing he brings to the table is size and wrestling which neither would be a factor against GSP...

Virgil Caine
03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with the people discounting Daley's sprawl game. Sure he doesn't have jujitsu, but he does posses a sprawl. He showed this in the Jake Shields fight, among others. He was keeping Shields at bay through much of the fight up until when he got taken down and subbed.

Daley has gotten better at sprawling through his career. And as far as Hardey goes, Hardey would get put to sleep if the two ever fought, you can bet the house on it.

Again, I come back to the Koscheck fight, which will answer all the questions. I expect Koscheck will take him down and grind it out, but if Daley does manage to keep Kos. at bay he will have to be considered a threat to GSP as well (that is unless Kos. decides to trade and gets put to sleep, which I really don't see happening).

It's definitely a wild card, but I stick to it. Again, I'm waiting to see what happens in the Kos. fight. Styles make fights, and every fight and every fighter is different. And fighters do improve (especially when making such a drastic transition as from striking to grappling and vice versa), so you can't discount Daley's chances based solely on passed performance either. Cro cop didn't start out with a terrific sprawl and defensive guard, and Henderson didn't start his career knocking people's blocks off on the feet.

People are free to disagree, but that is just how I see it. (And there are admittedly a lot of questions left to be answered).