View Full Version : [PLEASE HELP] Who's takedowns are harder to stop? GSP or Brock Lesnar?

Rabbit ♠
03-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Two veeeerryy different styles but two similar weapons. Who's takedowns are tougher to stop?

Bullrush
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
GSP obviously. he keeps you honest with his striking, you never know what hes gonna throw at you, when you try to defend the jabs or kicks he shoots in and takes you down. lesnar has no skills except for his wrestling. but once this guy takes you to the ground its over. with GSP you can survive the fight, get him off of you etc. but lesnar will kill you, dude is so huge unless you are 300 pounds you cant get him off either

Dice
03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Probably Cheick Kongos

American_Ninja
03-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Probably Cheick Kongos

:lol1::lol1::lol1: Good one. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pecs
03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
well.... i might not be able to stop both of them, BUT i will rather get taken down by GSP than the big gorilla.

Muzzel
03-31-2010, 06:52 AM
The question itself is pretty ... silly. You cant compare these two fighters. GSP seems way more technical, but he is also fighting a complete other weightclass...

Rabbit ♠
03-31-2010, 08:25 AM
The question itself is pretty ... silly. You cant compare these two fighters. GSP seems way more technical, but he is also fighting a complete other weightclass...

Well yeah lol. I meant pound for pound in their respective weight classes. One is technical the other is brute force (though his technical part is underrated imo). Who's are harder to stop?

Junito-Rulez
03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
P4P it's GSP, he take people down so easily, he mix it up with striking, feints. Brock Lesnar, you know he's gonna take you down, you can't stop it but you know it's coming. Lesnar had trouble taking down blown up Lightheavyweight Couture.

Rabbit ♠
03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
P4P it's GSP, he take people down so easily, he mix it up with striking, feints. Brock Lesnar, you know he's gonna take you down, you can't stop it but you know it's coming. Lesnar had trouble taking down blown up Lightheavyweight Couture.

I really think Randy could have won that fight if he didn't have such a reach disadvantage. IDK how that fight would look today though with Randy on a steep decline and Lesnar improving.

Muzzel
03-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I can tell you, when Brock has fought a high lvl wrestler as GSP did with John Fitch and Koscheck.

F l i c k e r
03-31-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't know. I can't chose one and feel like i'm not doing the other filthy.

I honestly don't know on this one.

hateinyaeyes32
04-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Two veeeerryy different styles but two similar weapons. Who's takedowns are tougher to stop?
you must be joking, brock is a 10x better wrestler than GSP P4P it doesnt matter if Brock weighed as much as GSP he'd still dominate and his takedowns would be better than GSP's.... How can anyone actually vote more for GSP than Brock, you can tell this is a boxing forum lol... Im more of a fan of boxing than MMA by far but even I know that... I know a whole lot about both sports, and this question is simply ridiculous.. Brock any day

nodogoshi
04-02-2010, 04:02 AM
you must be joking, brock is a 10x better wrestler than GSP P4P it doesnt matter if Brock weighed as much as GSP he'd still dominate and his takedowns would be better than GSP's.... How can anyone actually vote more for GSP than Brock, you can tell this is a boxing forum lol... Im more of a fan of boxing than MMA by far but even I know that... I know a whole lot about both sports, and this question is simply ridiculous.. Brock any day
It's funny how the same guys hang off of both Floyd and Brock's nutts. I've noticed this for a while, though I can't quite explain it. Both guys seem to apeal to the same sort of immature mindset however.

Care to give a reason why Brock is better? Or just empty claims on the basis that even a boxing fan knows that Brock is the better takedown artist?

And for the purpose of comparison since you bring up the weight aspect, GSP also dominated Kos., who is also an NCAA D1 champ (though not one of a division in which he could merely rely on size and strength as in the case of Brock) and Kos. was dominated in the takedowns as well.

I don't even like GSP that much, but he deserves credit where it is due, and he has indeed developed phenomenal (i.e. phenom) takedown ability.

hateinyaeyes32
04-02-2010, 04:29 AM
It's funny how the same guys hang off of both Floyd and Brock's nutts. I've noticed this for a while, though I can't quite explain it. Both guys seem to apeal to the same sort of immature mindset however.

Care to give a reason why Brock is better? Or just empty claims on the basis that even a boxing fan knows that Brock is the better takedown artist?

And for the purpose of comparison since you bring up the weight aspect, GSP also dominated Kos., who is also an NCAA D1 champ (though not one of a division in which he could merely rely on size and strength as in the case of Brock) and Kos. was dominated in the takedowns as well.

I don't even like GSP that much, but he deserves credit where it is due, and he has indeed developed phenomenal (i.e. phenom) takedown ability.
I never said GSP has weak takedowns, and you must have no life to notice that Im a fan of Floyd Mayweather, while I on the otherhand have no clue who you even are, Ive never even seen you post... But you obviously do not know what you are talking about, I HATE Brock Lesnar... I respect him as a fighter, but I do not like the guy, and hope for him to lose every time he fights, simply because he is so dominant! How am I immature also? I state the truth. Josh Koscheck is a great wrestler, but Brock Lesnar is an ELITE wrestler. His takedowns are second to none, and anyone knows that. Brock is better because he's a pure wrestler, he knows the game of wrestling like the back of his hand, and while he's also better than people give him credit for standing up on his feet, he can decide whether or not he wants to take someone down. That's how dominant Brock Lesnar is, GSP can do that to most of his opponents, but usually after multiple attempts is he's fighting anyone that is atleast decent at defending a takedown. Brock takes everyone down on the first attempt, and if not then it's coming on the second. Also, Brock is a far more decorated college wrestler than Josh Koscheck, despite Koscheck having spent all four years at a division 1 school, opposed to Brock where he only spent 2 years, his jr and sr year, but Koscheck went to Edinsboro University of Pennsylvania (a decent wrestling program in a ****ty conference) and won his conference only once, which was the year he was national champ at 174, as to where Brock went to University of Minnesota (A BIG school with a top wrestling program, in the Big Ten, which is arguably the best conference in college wrestling) and won his conference at his weight class both years he went to Minn... Both years he was an NCAA D-1 All-American, Big Ten Heavyweight Conference Champ, and in 2000 NCAA Heavyweight National Champion. In the two years prior he attended Bismark State College and was NJCAA All-American for both and in 1998 he was NJCAA Heavyweight National Champion. He finished with a career record of 106-5. You cant compare their careers in wrestling. Brock also was an all-american in high school football, and led his team in tackles, that has a little something to do with the art of a takedown. Brock is better than GSP in takedowns because he's had many years of practice at it, and is not only technical in doing so but powerful, as to where GSP has learned just for MMA, and learns it just as much as he learns everything else, and works at it just as much as he works at everything else while training, and still has work to do on his technical/strength of his takedowns.. Brock when training, doesnt train much wrestling, just enough to touch up and cover the basics, as he already knows it like the back of his hand, it's second nature to him. He trains harder/more frequently for his ground game (bjj,submissions,ground and pound) and his standup(boxing, elbows, knees, leg/body kicks, defense, footwork) than he does for wrestling, he doesnt need to.

So dont come in here saying im stating baseless facts, youre the one who's doing that, as I know what I am talking about. Do not challenge my knowledge of MMA either, I know a whole lot about both sports, and while this poll is totally optional and based off of opinion, I believe I just delivered enough infortmation to support that the choice of Brock Lesnar would be more accurate to state as a fact. I dont discredit GSP at all either, he's an exciting fighter, but I just know he's not on Brock's level in terms of takedowns or wrestling either for that matter

nodogoshi
04-02-2010, 06:22 AM
I never said GSP has weak takedowns, and you must have no life to notice that Im a fan of Floyd Mayweather, while I on the otherhand have no clue who you even are, Ive never even seen you post... But you obviously do not know what you are talking about, I HATE Brock Lesnar... I respect him as a fighter, but I do not like the guy, and hope for him to lose every time he fights, simply because he is so dominant! How am I immature also? I state the truth. Josh Koscheck is a great wrestler, but Brock Lesnar is an ELITE wrestler. His takedowns are second to none, and anyone knows that. Brock is better because he's a pure wrestler, he knows the game of wrestling like the back of his hand, and while he's also better than people give him credit for standing up on his feet, he can decide whether or not he wants to take someone down. That's how dominant Brock Lesnar is, GSP can do that to most of his opponents, but usually after multiple attempts is he's fighting anyone that is atleast decent at defending a takedown. Brock takes everyone down on the first attempt, and if not then it's coming on the second. Also, Brock is a far more decorated college wrestler than Josh Koscheck, despite Koscheck having spent all four years at a division 1 school, opposed to Brock where he only spent 2 years, his jr and sr year, but Koscheck went to Edinsboro University of Pennsylvania (a decent wrestling program in a ****ty conference) and won his conference only once, which was the year he was national champ at 174, as to where Brock went to University of Minnesota (A BIG school with a top wrestling program, in the Big Ten, which is arguably the best conference in college wrestling) and won his conference at his weight class both years he went to Minn... Both years he was an NCAA D-1 All-American, Big Ten Heavyweight Conference Champ, and in 2000 NCAA Heavyweight National Champion. In the two years prior he attended Bismark State College and was NJCAA All-American for both and in 1998 he was NJCAA Heavyweight National Champion. He finished with a career record of 106-5. You cant compare their careers in wrestling. Brock also was an all-american in high school football, and led his team in tackles, that has a little something to do with the art of a takedown. Brock is better than GSP in takedowns because he's had many years of practice at it, and is not only technical in doing so but powerful, as to where GSP has learned just for MMA, and learns it just as much as he learns everything else, and works at it just as much as he works at everything else while training, and still has work to do on his technical/strength of his takedowns.. Brock when training, doesnt train much wrestling, just enough to touch up and cover the basics, as he already knows it like the back of his hand, it's second nature to him. He trains harder/more frequently for his ground game (bjj,submissions,ground and pound) and his standup(boxing, elbows, knees, leg/body kicks, defense, footwork) than he does for wrestling, he doesnt need to.

So dont come in here saying im stating baseless facts, youre the one who's doing that, as I know what I am talking about. Do not challenge my knowledge of MMA either, I know a whole lot about both sports, and while this poll is totally optional and based off of opinion, I believe I just delivered enough infortmation to support that the choice of Brock Lesnar would be more accurate to state as a fact. I dont discredit GSP at all either, he's an exciting fighter, but I just know he's not on Brock's level in terms of takedowns or wrestling either for that matter

I didn't read all of this, but I too don't know who the fuk you are. Your sig. kind of gave away the Mayweather fandom.

You came in saying that Brock is the better at takedowns based on no evidence whatsoever, and stated smuggly that everyone knows that, even you, who is more of a boxing fan. I naturally assumed it was nutthugging.

And I'm well aware of Brock's wrestling creds. That doesn't mean he's better at scoring takedowns right now in MMA compared to GSP. And for the record, I don't particularly like GSP (although I will admit that I can't stand **** Chestner).

F l i c k e r
04-02-2010, 09:59 PM

They don't recognize wrestling creds. They think GSP's wrestling is better than an Olympic wrestler's wrestling. Which makes no sense. Thats like saying Kenny Florian's muay thai is better than Malaipet's, makes no ****ing sense. Or Bj's boxing is better than James Toney, makes no ****ing sense.

You have to realize bro that MMA on boxing scene has some retarded posters. Their are a few I recognize as great MMA heads, like Jakkups for example but alot of them just don't know ****. If you lose your shot or a bum on this forum.

But you have to admitt that it's hard choosing one. I personally don't feel right choosing one over the other, their both great but Brock just hasn't had enough fights yet for me to make an honest conclusion. Hendo's is forever greater than GSP's though, thats final. Only idiots think a guy who hasn't competed on the biggest stage of wrestling has better wrestling than the guy who has competed on the biggest stage of wrestling.... The Olympics.

TheNegation
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Here we go again

They don't recognize wrestling creds. They think GSP's wrestling is better than an Olympic wrestler's wrestling. Which makes no sense. Thats like saying Kenny Florian's muay thai is better than Malaipet's, makes no ****ing sense. Or Bj's boxing is better than James Toney, makes no ****ing sense.

Nobody is saying GSP's wrestling credentials are better than Dan Henderson, but in MMA GSP dominates with his wrestling more than Dan does and not because Dan chooses not to, but because he doesn't have the ability to effectively transition from striking to wrestling as fluid and as fast as GSP does.

Credentials mean nothing as you can clearly see that GSP with no collegiate wrestling credentials whatsoever completely embarrassed Koscheck a Div 1 All American and Jon Fitch a Purdue Wrestling captain with wrestling.

MMA adapted Wrestling is different than straight up wrestling in HS, College or the Olympics. Whether you'd like to admit that or not.

You have to realize bro that MMA on boxing scene has some retarded posters. Their are a few I recognize as great MMA heads, like Jakkups for example but alot of them just don't know ****. If you lose your shot or a bum on this forum.

You are definitely one of these retarded posters. I have to say people at other MMA forums I visit had quite a laugh at your stupidity related to GSP and Dan and the Silva/Leites fight.

But you have to admitt that it's hard choosing one. I personally don't feel right choosing one over the other, their both great but Brock just hasn't had enough fights yet for me to make an honest conclusion. Hendo's is forever greater than GSP's though, thats final. Only idiots think a guy who hasn't competed on the biggest stage of wrestling has better wrestling than the guy who has competed on the biggest stage of wrestling.... The Olympics.

Again credentials like an Olympic Gold Medal mean close to nothing in MMA competition.

In a straight up wrestling match. GSP would probably lose

But in MMA, it's not even close.

F l i c k e r
04-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Here we go again

Nobody is saying GSP's wrestling credentials are better than Dan Henderson, but in MMA GSP dominates with his wrestling more than Dan does and not because Dan chooses not to, but because he doesn't have the ability to effectively transition from striking to wrestling as fluid and as fast as GSP does.

Credentials mean nothing as you can clearly see that GSP with no collegiate wrestling credentials whatsoever completely embarrassed Koscheck a Div 1 All American and Jon Fitch a Purdue Wrestling captain with wrestling.

MMA adapted Wrestling is different than straight up wrestling in HS, College or the Olympics. Whether you'd like to admit that or not.

You are definitely one of these retarded posters. I have to say people at other MMA forums I visit had quite a laugh at your stupidity related to GSP and Dan and the Silva/Leites fight.

Again credentials like an Olympic Gold Medal mean close to nothing in MMA competition.

In a straight up wrestling match. GSP would probably lose

But in MMA, it's not even close.

Your the retard nuthugger, you should check yourself. Unlike you, I can admitt my favorite fighter's faults and don't think he is a god. You can't admitt any of GSP's faults even if they are blatantly obvious.

Your one of the retarded posters I was talking about. All you know is GSP, you went from a Wandy fan but once he loss you switched to ground st. pound, that says enough about your character.

And I never chose whose wresting is better between Brock and GSP. I couldn't because I felt I wouldn't be giving the other justice. People like you can make a person easily dislike GSP.

You forget Hendo competes at 185. GSP can have a match with him and I gaurantee that GSP doesn't man handle Hendo like he does all the others. GSP doesn't bring anything to the table that Hendo can't handle. That simple statement of Hendo's wrestling not even close to GSP's shows how stupid you are, your the MMA equivalent of a *******.

nodogoshi
04-03-2010, 02:01 AM

From one know-it-all to another.

Guess what, no one is talking about Olympic style wrestling. As should be clear from the thread title, this is about takedowns, and obviously in the context of MMA.

And you are extremely closed minded if you don't realize that a professional MMA fighter can develop a phenomenal takedown game. Sure wrestling creds are worthy of consideration in weighing a particular fighter's abilities, but they are not the be all end all when it comes to MMA-wrestling.

I know how it is though, anyone who doesn't agree verbatem with your narrow minded perspective automatically doesn't know ****. Wait a second it just hit me, and this is quite a revelation, seems you are the one who doesn't know jack ****.

F l i c k e r
04-03-2010, 02:03 AM
From one know-it-all to another.

Guess what, no one is talking about Olympic style wrestling. As should be clear from the thread title, this is about takedowns, and obviously in the context of MMA.

And you are extremely closed minded if you don't realize that a professional MMA fighter can develop a phenomenal takedown game. Sure wrestling creds are worthy of consideration in weighing a particular fighter's abilities, but they are not the be all end all when it comes to MMA-wrestling.

I know how it is though, anyone who doesn't agree verbatem with your narrow minded perspective automatically doesn't know ****. Wait a second it just hit me, and this is quite a revelation, seems you are the one who doesn't know jack ****.

I never chose Brock over GSP. I couldn't, you should read everything not just what you want to see.

nodogoshi
04-03-2010, 02:31 AM
I never chose Brock over GSP. I couldn't, you should read everything not just what you want to see.

I did read that, and it's really beside the point. And I have no problem with whichever choice, provided that it's backed up by something other than "you don't know **** and I do."

You **** on everyone who doesn't agree with your particular narrow viewpoint.

TheNegation
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Your the retard nuthugger, you should check yourself. Unlike you, I can admitt my favorite fighter's faults and don't think he is a god. You can't admitt any of GSP's faults even if they are blatantly obvious.

I can admit them. He needs a lot of work on his stand-up and finishing instincts. Just because someone doesn't see eye to eye with you they are a retarded poster? Ha.

Your one of the retarded posters I was talking about. All you know is GSP, you went from a Wandy fan but once he loss you switched to ground st. pound, that says enough about your character.

I am still a Wanderlei Silva fan. Don't try to come up in here a question my loyalty to fighters that I watch.

And I never chose whose wresting is better between Brock and GSP. I couldn't because I felt I wouldn't be giving the other justice. People like you can make a person easily dislike GSP.

You didn't give either credit because you don't want to be called out for being a GSP hater.

You forget Hendo competes at 185. GSP can have a match with him and I gaurantee that GSP doesn't man handle Hendo like he does all the others. GSP doesn't bring anything to the table that Hendo can't handle. That simple statement of Hendo's wrestling not even close to GSP's shows how stupid you are, your the MMA equivalent of a *******.

Dan was outwrestled by ****ing Bustamante. BUSTAMANTE!!!!! Who has ever outwrestled GSP? Wrestling is more than just clinch and takedowns

Go read and weep at this thread.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/who-better-mma-wrestler-henderson-st-pierre-1180083/

If people think GSP is a better MMA wrestler than Dan, I can't see how anyone could think Brock is even close to GSP.

Max05
04-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Common people

LESNAR takedowns aint nothing special.

GSP s takedowns are impossible to stop.

F l i c k e r
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I did read that, and it's really beside the point. And I have no problem with whichever choice, provided that it's backed up by something other than "you don't know **** and I do."

You **** on everyone who doesn't agree with your particular narrow viewpoint.

Not true. If you mean the Gomi thread that's because I had to, I said I would and to not do it would go against what I said. I hope Dice doesn't take offense to it but I was just following through with what I said. And I was feeling salty about the Gomi loss but meh, before Gomi came to the UFC my favorite UFC lw was KenFlo so I felt mixed feelings.

My quote of the other guy isn't related towards you. Just because he quoted you doesn't mean I was referencing you. I was referencing the time when I had posted wrestling creds and it got a whole lot of bull**** against it.

I may be an aggresive poster(cuss alot) but I don't look blindly into discussions and I actually hardly ever **** on anyone. We may disagree and I may be an aggressive poster but I hardly **** on anyone. The Gomi thing is explained, and I only genuinely **** on Ground st. pound because whenever it comes to GSP he acts like the guy has no flaws, he is a nuthugger. No different then a ***** or *******. He only posts in this forum when the discussion is GSP.

I actually respect your posts though and Jak as well. I'm not gonna sit here and name everyone so I name 1 or 2 when I say this sort of thing.

nodogoshi
04-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Not true. If you mean the Gomi thread that's because I had to, I said I would and to not do it would go against what I said. I hope Dice doesn't take offense to it but I was just following through with what I said. And I was feeling salty about the Gomi loss but meh, before Gomi came to the UFC my favorite UFC lw was KenFlo so I felt mixed feelings.

My quote of the other guy isn't related towards you. Just because he quoted you doesn't mean I was referencing you. I was referencing the time when I had posted wrestling creds and it got a whole lot of bull**** against it.

I may be an aggresive poster(cuss alot) but I don't look blindly into discussions and I actually hardly ever **** on anyone. We may disagree and I may be an aggressive poster but I hardly **** on anyone. The Gomi thing is explained, and I only genuinely **** on Ground st. pound because whenever it comes to GSP he acts like the guy has no flaws, he is a nuthugger. No different then a ***** or *******. He only posts in this forum when the discussion is GSP.

I actually respect your posts though and Jak as well. I'm not gonna sit here and name everyone so I name 1 or 2 when I say this sort of thing.

I hear you, it's all good.

Nick Fury
04-03-2010, 04:22 PM
GSP without a doubt. You just can't keep the guy off you.

Nick Fury
04-03-2010, 04:23 PM
And I think Cain has better wrestling than Brock.....Brock's big, but overrated.

kaps
04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Sakuraba's single leg > GSP's double.....

nodogoshi
04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Sakuraba's single leg > GSP's double.....
From a technical standpoint, this is actually true. I consider GSP's double to be much higher percentage, but Saku's got the single down and his application is very slick.

Nick Fury
04-03-2010, 06:03 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOAMDMsvt9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOAMDMsvt9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LEGENDDDD

nodogoshi
04-03-2010, 06:10 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOAMDMsvt9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOAMDMsvt9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LEGENDDDD
I couldn't believe it when he pulled that ****.

kaps
04-03-2010, 06:35 PM

LEGENDDDD

That was painful too watch. Sakuraba is the GOAT but he needs to stop....

TheNegation
04-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Take a look, F L I C K E R

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/best-mma-wrestling-sonnen-jon-jones-gsp-hendo-brock-lesnar-fedor-randy-page-1173767/

Keep telling me I'm an idiot, fanboy, delusional. There are 27 pages of undeniable votes for GSP being the best MMA wrestler. Even Sonnen is getting more praise than Henderson.