View Full Version : Best chins ever

WikipediaAntonio
05-31-2005, 09:19 PM
1. Sugar Ray Robinson. 200 something fights and floored only once, stopped by Joey Maxim (yes Maxim did ko him, training won the fight for him) and the heat that night. What else would someone ask for?
2.Marvin Hagler. Juan Roldan legally dropped him according to boxing rules, but ONLY because Hagler was on his way down from a slip and Roldan touched his head as he was going down (if a glove is laid on one before touching the canvas, one must be counted). 67 fights, traded blows with Roldan, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Fulgencio Obelmejias, John Mugabi, the decent punching Sugar Ray Leonard, and many of Philadelphia's best (I dont know if Bennie Briscoe was really a puncher would someone help me on this one?) I mean, solid chin!.
3. Julio Cesar Chavez. Dropped for the first time in his 91st fight. Need I say more?
4. Gene Fullmer. In sixty fights only the mighty Sugar Ray Robinson dropped him and stopped him at the same time.
5.Kid Gavilan. Only reason I qualify him this low is, I forgot about him before the others. 166 fights and was never even dropped.
6, Juan Laporte. This often forgotten chin of steel fought Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Jeff Fenech, Kostya Tszyu, Azumah Nelson, Zack Padilla, John John Molina, Julio Cesar Chavez, Barry McGuigan, and the list goes on as far as impressive or decent punchers in his list. Dropped only once, and stopped only once, (by his corner!) against Padilla.
7. which leads me to Salvador Sanchez. Flattened the all time greatest in punching power, Wilfredo Gomez, beat Azumah Nelson, never flinched in 27 rounds against Lopez. Was only dropped once and never knocked out in his career.
8. Muhammad Ali. Yes, he was dropped often. But lets not forget who he faced: Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier (three times), Ringo Bonavena, Goerge Foreman, and Larry Holmes, the only one to stop him (once again, corner's decision). The knock on Ali, shall we use the word knock purpotedly, is that he was often knocked down by lesser opposition, Frazier included because I consider him a notch below Ali.
9. Hector Camacho. Another often forgotten guy in these lists. But come on, the guy's got about 83 fights, fought Bazooka Limon, Ray Mancini (hey the punch's the last thing to leave a fighter!!!), Cornelius Boza Edwards, and, more importantly, Edwin Rosario, Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. He may be a runner, but not getting kmocked out by any of those guys takes a hell of a chin.
10. (tie) Carlos Monzon, Roberto Duran and Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins wasnt moved by Trinidad (although some punches made his face move in pain), but apart from him, Oscar De La Hoya and Roy Jones Jr he hasnt faced any credible punchers that I remember. Duran was only genuinely stopped by Thomas Hearns (his other knockout losses were to SR Leonard when he quit and to Pat Lawlor after he broke his arm) great chin. Esteban De Jesus dropped him twice, went about 60 fights before being dropped again. Not bad for someone that had about 125 fights. Monzon was dropped by Rodrigo Valdez and Denny Moyer but was never stopped in 84 fights. Once again, his knock is not facing that many punchers.

What do you think?

Kid Achilles
05-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Jake LaMotta, Tex Cobb, and George Chuvalo are sorely missing from your list.

Yogi
05-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson was knocked down a hell of a lot more than only just the one time in his career...Try closer to about a dozen times.

And Kid Gavilan was knocked down on atleast two occasions (Ike Williams and Carmen Basilio).

BRONXBULL
06-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Jake Lamotta

WikipediaAntonio
06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
You got a point! But also, LaMotta, for example, everybody knows because he's always on these lists, although I have to admit I forgot about him when I was doing it. Laporte, writers always forget him. But the thing is Best chin, not most forgotten best chin so those above should have ranked. It would be better to pick fifteen instead of ten!!

Antonio

WikipediaAntonio
06-01-2005, 04:13 PM
I stand corrected, my friend. I should have picked fifteen instead of ten..:) Thanks for reminding me of LaMotta specially, the ground I made for Laporte and Camacho, (unfairly always forgotten when these lists are made by magazines) I lost by forgetting Jake.

Thanks,
Antonio

marvdave
06-01-2005, 05:33 PM
who i've seen live

Hagler
Cobb
Pryor
Foreman
Holmes

WikipediaAntonio
06-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah and who can forget Saoul Mamby too? He had a great chin, was only knocked down or out once in about 25 years.

Antonio

Yogi
06-02-2005, 12:12 AM
There's been so many fighters throughout history that have shown an amazing ability to take punches it is very hard narrowing it down to only ten. Take Gorilla Jones for example...138 career fights and never KO'd. Plus he was only knocked down one time in all of those fights, and that was by the very heavy hitting, left hook artist of the middleweight division during that era of the 30's, Freddie Steele.

Just for a different opinion and one that's geared more to some of the toughest old-time fighters of the past, here's who 'The Ring' thought had the ten greatest chins of all-time, according to an article written in Nov. 1990;

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4980/greatestchins.htm

EXIGE
06-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I dunno about you but i have seen Ali take some of the most brutal beatings and he just stands up after it all and comes back with more.

I love the punch that Frazier throws at him that knocks him down in their first meeting (ie not the Thrilla in Manilla). That punch is probably in my top 3 favourite punches of all time. **** im gonna try and learn that punch and do it to someone when i spar next lol.

Truth
06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Tyson has a great chin think about how may monster shots it takes to put him down.

tommyhearns804
06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
ali was knocked own ali was staggered alot ali suffered brain damage from the punches he recieved so he shouldnt even be mentioned.hagler has one of the best chins.mccall should be listed tua foreman and guys of that nature.this list isnt called who has the most heart but who has the best chin.if you get knocked down alot and get up then your chin isnt that good you just have a lot of heart

Rocky_Balboa
06-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Robinson
Ali
Balboa (lol)

dsh2005
06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
I Will Go For J.c Chavez

ricecrispi
06-14-2005, 03:52 AM
9. Hector Camacho. Another often forgotten guy in these lists. But come on, the guy's got about 83 fights, fought Bazooka Limon, Ray Mancini (hey the punch's the last thing to leave a fighter!!!), Cornelius Boza Edwards, and, more importantly, Edwin Rosario, Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. He may be a runner, but not getting kmocked out by any of those guys takes a hell of a chin.

Oh My god.
You mention his name, The macho man.

That guy was not on a bicycle, it was a motorcycle. Held and held, ran after the hold and hit during and after holding. I thought he was the **** because he was undeafeated and not knocked out. Saw some fights of his and that guy was a major dissappointment. Horrible cosumtes, dumb hair and horrible style that doesn't go with the name. No power and ran and held so he could say he was never knocked out.

You should add Aaron Pryor or Lamotta in Camacho's place.

sanjayint
06-14-2005, 08:38 AM
frank bruno had a pretty strong chin, remember the tyson fite? the 2nd one lol

+= El Jefe=+
06-14-2005, 11:13 AM
i think DLH should be there he has only been down like once or twice in his carrer

{BrownBomber}
06-14-2005, 04:27 PM
I dont think guys who ran around the ring should be on the list.
I pick Julio Cesar Chavez and Hagler as the best chins.

TheEvilSaint
06-14-2005, 04:37 PM
frank bruno had a pretty strong chin, remember the tyson fite? the 2nd one lol
no he didnt! all 5 of bruno's losses were by KO. that was just a stupid post.

TheEvilSaint
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
wheres tex cobb, rocky marciano, george chuvalo, carmen basilio, jake la motta, and why is there kid gavilan, gene fullmer, hector camacho, and salvador sanchez listed as the all time best chins?

boxing scribe
06-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Ali because he was in with bangers, the hardest bangers ever to box...and he was hit by some of the hardest punchers ever to lace up gloves. Frazier was the hardest left hooker in the business...Forman one of the hardest punchers ever...Shavers, Liston, Chuvalo...knock you dead bangers, all of them would be heavyweight champions today but none of them knocked Ali out. Having a chin is not determined by how many times you're knocked down...IT IS DETERMINED BY HOW MANY TIMES YOU NEVER GOT UP! And all of the people who couldn't knock Ali out...eventually got knocked out themselves...that tells you a lot about a man, and a fighter.

Ray Robinson, same thing only better. Never knocked out! In with bangers like LaMotta, Gene Fulmer and Basilio...all of them were knocked out (by Ray mostly) but Ray never was...champions who go through a career and never get counted over are a rare breed...you have to count those guys as having the best chins...

Slipx
06-24-2005, 07:04 AM
where's prince naseem? or corely?

or mccullough?

i think naseem had the best chin ever in the sport, ever time he was ever KD was because of balance, he was never really dazed if you look

Kid Achilles
06-25-2005, 10:50 AM
i think naseem had the best chin ever in the sport, ever time he was ever KD was because of balance, he was never really dazed if you look

That's a pretty bold assumption because...

1. He was knocked down many times and it'd be very difficult to prove he wasn't hurt or dazed on any of those occassions.

2. There have been thousands of fighters throughout history and many of them had great chins. To say Hamed had the best chin of them all because you don't think he was ever dazed (which I simply don't believe) even though he was knocked down many times is a stretch.

And why don't we change the thread to "best chin in recent years of televised fights" because many of the candidates offered so far reveal a lack of knowledge on the forum of boxing pre 1970. Chavez had a good chin but I think Hagler's was even better, and that's not even going very far back in boxing's history.

TheBrownBomber22
06-25-2005, 11:19 AM
i've only seen one fight of Jake Lamotta, the one were Sugar Ray Robinson won, by the corner throwing in the towel in the 13th round, but I would still say Jake Lamotta because Ive never seen someone take so much punishment ever and still stay on his feet and they weren't even gloves barely even mitts that they wore in those days. He had one hell of a chin.

tommyhearns804
06-25-2005, 02:45 PM
You know i don't want to bash people for having a opinion by why is Ali's name even on the list?He was knocked down 4 or 5 times he was hurt and staggered countless times.Ali was tough but his chin wasn't close to being great.Cooper a 190 or so pound man dropped him with one punch and almost had him knocked out.Do you think Cooper could hurt Foreman or a Tua or Mccall?Hell no because they have great chins.A great chin means you can walk through vicious punches by vicious punchers and not be bothered by his attack.Great chin doesnt mean you get hit and hurt but just dont go down.Tua,Foreman,Mccall,Chuvalo,Hagler, ect ect ect had great chins.

Tha Greatest
06-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Jake LaMotta and Marvelous Marvin Hagler ..

I dunno EVERY fighter before that well, but from what I've seen, they are on my list...

abdiel2k3
06-25-2005, 05:47 PM
always say this in these kinda threads
Wayne McCullough
no other guy takes as much consistent punishment each fight
never been kod
plus hes fought some of the p4p hardest hittin guys
naz and morales
and he took lots of punches from both

dino
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
hagler hands down...he couldnt be hurt at 160...foreman

angelo_dundee
06-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Well Ali was never KO'd, sure he went down, but he got up! The Holmes stoppage, that doesnt count, and it wasnt a KO. If I recall correctly, Muhamad didnt answer the bell for the 11th.

SRR just on the strength of his record probably has #1, but for HW's Ali. Let us not forget Rocky.

tommyhearns804
06-25-2005, 09:59 PM
You dont seem to be able to grasp logic .Ali was still hurt tons of times.He was knocked down 4 times in his career from one punch.Just because he got up doesnt mean he had a great chin.It has to do with his being to recover from punches quick.Maricano didnt fight any top level fighters in their primes.If he had to face Foreman Frazier Lewis he would of been knocked out.Marciano was dropped 2 times in his career by guys who were naturally smaller than him.As i said a great chin means you get hit and walk right through the punch.Foreman Tua Hagler Mccall did this.Ali couldnt.

Eken
06-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Jake LaMotta!

Memorex
06-26-2005, 04:12 PM
erik morales and marvin hagler

nohero
06-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Amen. George Chuvalo, hands down. LaMotta was a tank also, took Robinson's best on many occasions.

dmar
06-27-2005, 07:34 PM
robinson was down 20 times..also he fought the whos who in history untill 44 years old..GUTS yes and skill..best chins..lamotta marciano basilio chuvalo greb come to mind.there are many ..

DMikeS4321
08-28-2005, 06:49 AM
You may laugh, but...

George Chuvalo?

Dynamite76
08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Marvin Hagler
George Chuvalo
Mitch Green

kmac
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
You may laugh, but...

George Chuvalo?

I agree, but he cut a lot

Ismael27
08-30-2005, 01:35 PM
George Chuvalo. No one else is even close.

tommyhearns804
08-30-2005, 02:19 PM
acutually it wasn't chuvalo.chuvalo was hurt alot of times in his career.tua was never hurt as a pro hagler was never hurt as a pro.so those 2 have the best chins

Yogi
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Eddie Booker deserves a mention, seeing as he was never knocked out or even knocked down, in 80+ professional fights. He also had one fairly infamous fight when an opponent of his tried to seriously injure Booker by hiding a pair of scissors underneath his boxing glove. The guy cut Eddie up pretty severely over the eye because of that weapon, but he never could stop him.

abyrvalg
09-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Holyfield, Frazier, Marciano, Ali, Gatti - my top 5

Dempsey 1919
02-23-2006, 03:36 PM
You dont seem to be able to grasp logic .Ali was still hurt tons of times.He was knocked down 4 times in his career from one punch.Just because he got up doesnt mean he had a great chin.It has to do with his being to recover from punches quick.Maricano didnt fight any top level fighters in their primes.If he had to face Foreman Frazier Lewis he would of been knocked out.Marciano was dropped 2 times in his career by guys who were naturally smaller than him.As i said a great chin means you get hit and walk right through the punch.Foreman Tua Hagler Mccall did this.Ali couldnt.

well, ali was floored by cooper, but your boy foreman was floored by young. who would you rather be floored by? :rolleyes: enough said.

Brockton Lip
02-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Tex Cobb, Chuvalo, LaMotta, Marciano, and Ali in no particular order.

leow
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
David Tua... just look all his fight who lasted 10 and 12 rds.. its just amazing

Two Fisted Piston
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Can't believe La Motta isnt in this poll!

Verstyle
02-23-2006, 04:04 PM
larry holmes should be on there. i saw that shot he took from shavers. jus plain crazy. i think tyson whould have went down from that shot

El Guapo
02-23-2006, 05:39 PM
larry holmes, rocky marciano, jake lamotta, where are they?

TheHoff'sGhost
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
lamotta basillio hagler holyfield ali marciano foreman gatti

Yaman
02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Holmes man...that guy has the heart of a lion. I just can't believe how he got up from Shavers hardest punch. It was clean to his jaw/chin and definitely the hardest he could throw. Shavers is probably the second hardest hitter ever so that makes it even more impressive.

boxing scribe
02-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I determine a person's chin not by how many times they are knocked down but by how many times they don't get up. Part of having a chin is adjusting and re-composing yourself after being hurt...so Robinson and Ali are 1-2 when it comes to chins, with Hagler a close third. Had Hagler been in a few more wars like the ones he had with Mugabi and Hearns, we would know if he measured up to Ali and Robinson...but with Ali and SR Rob...it was no doubt, NO ONE could knock these guys out and they fought a lot of bangers over and over again...that's CHIN.

MickyHatton
02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Wayne McCullough, awesome chin, if he could have hit harder than two year old he would have been a great champion.

Some of the hardest hitting featherweights couldn't budge him, Naseem Hamed, Eric Morales!

The punches didn't seem to have an effect, I think the Larios fight (rematch) was one fight too many, ended in a late stoppage by Tko!

Heckler
02-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Ali when physically matured has one of the best chins if not the best chin equal with others. This view was solidified when i watched him fight Shavers recently. He took some huge shots.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Boxing Scene listed boxing's "10 greatest chins" in their 1991 issue.
Here they are in no particular order.

Joe Grim, Tom Sharkey, Jake LaMotta, Rocky Marciano, George Chuvalo, Muhammad Ali, Vito Antuofermo, Randy "Tex" Cobb, Marvin Hagler, Julio Cesar Chavez.

Da Iceman
02-26-2006, 10:58 PM
dont forget sugar ray 1 maybe 2

RockyMarcianofan00
02-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Jake Lamotta's chin was amazing

he would just let ppl punch themsleves out on him and then boom

Stiv Rex
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM

those are exactly the 3 i was going to mention, although cobb was always kindof a sideshow, like butterbean.

Dont forget ray mercer, he took EVERYTHING a prime lennox lewis and evander holyfield had to offer, plus he fought tommy morrison, who, despite his other shortcomings, had some serious pop. ray kept coming and put him out in 5 or 6. and dont bring up the loss to klitschko, hes was 42 when he lost his first fight by tko.

Easy-E
03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson was knocked down a hell of a lot more than only just the one time in his career...Try closer to about a dozen times.

And Kid Gavilan was knocked down on atleast two occasions (Ike Williams and Carmen Basilio).
no kidding, srr's chin wasnt even that great, it was his heart and attitude that made up for it. lamotta floored him twice i believe and he was dropped a host of other times. from this list its CLEARLY marvin hagler.

Morley
03-11-2006, 04:05 PM
George Chuvalo had the best chin ever. He was never knocked down in his whole career. Even Ali and Foreman couldnt bring him down.

Verstyle
03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
i say this guy.http://www.dansmithartist.com/gallery_files/jleno_files/newleno.jpg

u know how many shots he can probably take

Yaman
03-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Haha!

Did Marvin Hagler ever get knocked down?

Da Iceman
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
just cuz you get knocked down dont always mean you have a bad chin, frazier put ali on the canvas but did he have a bad chin. best chin ever is chuvalo, from that list its ali

mrc213
03-12-2006, 04:09 AM
Rocky Marciano

mokele
03-23-2006, 12:07 PM

David Tua deserves mention too. The only time I ever saw him off his feet was right after the end of his 2nd fight with Rahman. The bell ending the 12th round had already sounded so it didn't count. ;)

George Foreman had a great chin too, but when you're dead tired and can't keep your gloves up (like against Ali) or don't bother at all with defence (like against Ron Lyle and Jimmy Young) you can be decked no matter how good your chin is.

I only saw Steve Collins fight a couple times, but I've heard various boxing fans from the United Kingdom describe his chin as cast iron.

The Raging Bull
03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
You really need to include Jake La motta on the lists. A great boxer who could take a beating.

:boxing:

K-DOGG
03-23-2006, 12:26 PM
In no particular order on a p4p basis.

Jeffries, Marciano, Mercer, Tua, Tyson, Hagler, Duran...(Hearns was a freak), Ali, Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Cobb, Toney, Peter, Liston, Greb, Langford, Wilde, Ketchel, Papke,....for starters.

Da Iceman
03-23-2006, 12:31 PM
In no particular order on a p4p basis.

Jeffries, Marciano, Mercer, Tua, Tyson, Hagler, Duran...(Hearns was a freak), Ali, Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Cobb, Toney, Peter, Liston, Greb, Langford, Wilde, Ketchel, Papke,....for starters.
you could take tyson out of there. tyson was ko'ed every single loss of his career except holyfield.

K-DOGG
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
you could take tyson out of there. tyson was ko'ed every single loss of his career except holyfield.

No, I don't think so. Mike took a tremendous beating before being stopped.

SuzieQ49
03-23-2006, 03:26 PM
marciano has a great chin, but its defintley not one of the best simply because ITS NOT PROVEN ENOUGH.

- walcott, moore, and even old louis were good to great punchers and rocky showed he could take a punch by taking flush punches from these guys. walcott and moore were defintley very good punchers. however, rocky never faced a 1st teir puncher who was also a big heavyweight. he never fought a foreman, or liston so we don't know if his chin will hold up.

chuvalo proved he could take foreman, frazier,etc's best punches without going down. so automatically he rates up there as one of the best chin.
what if we found out rocky could take foremans best punch? then rocky would be the greatest heavyweight of all time because no one would beat him.

- marciano we will never know. he proved he had a great chin, but he didnt prove he had an all time chin like tua, chuvalo, mccall. all these guys faced big punchers than rocky and were never floored.

the only skilled big man who could punch that rocky ever faced was 6'2 214lb joe louis. believe me, louis still had some power left, watch the lee savold fight if u dont believe me. johnny skhor and big bill wilson were giants who were also hard hitters, but they weren't good fighters. rex layne was considered a very harder hitter with his right, and he was defintley one of the better punchers rocky beat. but layne was just 6'2 195lb and never showed he had elite power. carmine vingo a promising young prospect could hit like a truck and rocky certainly proved his chin in this fight. vingo was definetley one of the better big heavyweights he beat during his career. too bad he got ruined by rocky, he had a lot of potential. Vingo came closer to knocking rocky out than perhaps any of marcianos opponents.

here are the "hardest hitters" in terms of force with 1 punch that rocky ever faced

old joe louis
jersey joe walcott
archie moore
carmine vingo
Rex Layne
johnny skhor

all these guys were considered hard punchers, and newspapers at the time back this claim up. but still, thats not a good list of big punchers.

but back to the main point: rocky simply did not have his chin tested enough like say ali did.

Southpaw Stinger
03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
You really need to include Jake La motta on the lists. A great boxer who could take a beating.

He had the best chin. Ring Magazine agrees with me!

abdiel2k3
03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
id have to say jackie
cuz i usually enjoy all of his movies

chris_cov
03-24-2006, 08:49 AM
jake la motta. dont know how he didnt go down against sugar ray robinson.

Da Iceman
03-24-2006, 08:51 AM
mind over matter.

RockyMarcianofan00
03-25-2006, 02:09 PM
jake la motta. dont know how he didnt go down against sugar ray robinson.
yea that guy had heart and the fact that he was tough as nails

Jake Lamatta is ridiculous :boxing:

RockyMarcianofan00
03-25-2006, 02:10 PM
for anybody that doesn't think Marciano has an iron chin

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/hit1.jpg
-
Ezzard Charles lands a solid blow to Rocky's jaw.
"If Marciano's jaw isn't made of iron, it's at least made of poured concrete."Arthur Daley.

SuzieQ49
03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
he had a great chin, but it doesnt rate up as one of the best because he didnt take on the elite punchers in history like chuvalo did.

TheHoff'sGhost
03-25-2006, 02:14 PM
off the top of my head

chuvalo
tua
la motta
hagler
ali

Heckler
03-25-2006, 06:43 PM
ali was knocked own ali was staggered alot ali suffered brain damage from the punches he recieved so he shouldnt even be mentioned.hagler has one of the best chins.mccall should be listed tua foreman and guys of that nature.this list isnt called who has the most heart but who has the best chin.if you get knocked down alot and get up then your chin isnt that good you just have a lot of heart

Would you leave boxing forum, because you are a complete retard. He had a granite jaw. He was dropped by sonny banks, henry cooper because he was not in his physical prime, he hadn't filled out. His jaw didn't magically become better, he matured. After his Lay-off he was dropped by a HUGE left hook from Frazier, and absorbed punishment in that fight where many would drop. Ali was NOT staggered much relative to the level of punishment he took.

Yogi
03-25-2006, 07:26 PM
"If Marciano's jaw isn't made of iron, it's at least made of poured concrete."Arthur Daley.

What the hell...Arthur Daley actually gave Marciano a compliment?

RockyMarcianofan00
03-25-2006, 07:58 PM
What the hell...Arthur Daley actually gave Marciano a compliment?
i was alittle surprised myself

The Noose
03-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Im not sure why so many people have voted for Ali over Fulmer or Hagler??

Those fighters took punches their whole career. Especially JC Chavez. Or even Duran.

Ali was elusive, he was hardly hit until he came back after his absence. I know he took shots from Frazier and Foreman, but he covered up well.

The other fighters, with Marciano, Chavez and LaMotta, were obviously very tough men, who took big shots every fight.

The Noose
03-25-2006, 11:00 PM
And Naz does not belong in this thread.

Stiv Rex
03-26-2006, 08:48 PM
true, naz doesnt belong. kevin kelley made him look like zab judah against tszyu BEFORE he looked like hamed against tszyu.

The Noose
03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
true, naz doesnt belong. kevin kelley made him look like zab judah against tszyu BEFORE he looked like hamed against tszyu.

lol, Wat??

I wouldnt say it was that bad. Judah had his ass handed to him. Naz won by KO.

Wat about Mayorga? Im still impressed he let Tito left hook him a couple of times.

The guy has a pretty good chin.

DudeManGuy216
03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
LaMotta and Chuvalo in my opinion. LaMotta took beatings, heres some proof...

http://d56.yousendit.com/E/3UFL09PXHT0BP0JA5CJOXLTF07/jakewithvickieafterfight.jpg

heres jake after getting beaten to a pulp by hard punching Bob Murphy for not getting in shape (their first fight)
http://d56.yousendit.com/E/27CZ40GFJLN2Q3GDTNIB7SRXW7/jakeaftermurphyloss.bmp

chicagofan
04-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I agree with Tex Cobb, I never saw someone get beaten to the head that way and not drop

JDizzle79
04-01-2006, 06:46 PM
vitali klitchko never was knocked down as a pro

jimelmoljam
04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd have to say Hagler. If you don't believe that just ask Tommy Hearns or John Mugabi.

JuicyJuice
04-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Gerald McClellan.

Yaman
04-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I'd have to say Hagler. If you don't believe that just ask Tommy Hearns or John Mugabi.

Was Hagler ever knocked down?

Azteca
04-26-2006, 07:45 PM
where is lamotta and chuvalo?

blockhead
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
ali in the lead!?!?!?!
thats proof that most of the nine voters dont know who the other guys on the poll are.

Dempsey 1919
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
ali in the lead!?!?!?!
thats proof that most of the nine voters dont know who the other guys on the poll are.

well, chuvalo and tua aren't on this list, so what could they do? :confused:

Hous
04-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Worst best chins poll ever, check out mine. the ten on mine are the real top 10 by Ring Magazine.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70896

Has
Joe Grim
Marciano
Hagler
LaMotta
Ali
JCC
Chuvalo
and more...