View Full Version : Toughest fighter of all-time?

BRONXBULL
05-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Who is the toughest fighter of all-time?

I would have to say Lamotta but then again i am a bit partial to him so i would like to know what you guys think

joeboxer
05-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Lamotta, is awsome.

I like Mickey Ward personally.

I would have liked to see them two spar.

onetwopunch
05-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Lamotta was an animal. And to think that the gloves were thinner back then.

sgtheny
06-11-2005, 12:18 AM
arturo gatti, he can box, he can take all the hits, and hes beast. i think ppl are really underrating gatti in the mayweather fight. he will not get trucked.

cple
06-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Joe Grim. Fighters like Gatti, LaMotta, Holyfield, etc. had skill. Even though they weren't defensive masters, they still had offensive prowess to fend off their opponents. Joe Grim didn't. He didn't have anything, and that's why he was called "The Human Punching Bag". He didn't have power or offensive/defensive skill; he was just tough as all hell.

He was a middleweight and fought some huge punchers like: Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, Joe Walcott, Joe Gans, Bob Fitzsimmons, Jack Blackburn, Johnny Kilbane, and Jack Johnson. He wasn't stopped by any of these fighters.

Kid Achilles
06-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Joe Grim for sure. He makes Arturo Gatti look like a cautious safety first fighter.

ricecrispi
06-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Joe had abnormal skull thickness that allowed him to take any punishment you could give him. His skull was twice as thick as a normal persons. That allowed him to absorb any shot you could give him and he would get up from it.

Slipx
06-24-2005, 07:19 AM
chavez....

id say lamotta but he laid down on the canvas on purpose a few times...tough guys dont do that..

dmar
06-27-2005, 07:37 PM

I would have to say Lamotta but then again i am a bit partial to him so i would like to know what you guys think
jake yes is 1.marciano basilio chuvalo harry greb tunney gibbons who never hit the deck is another..there are many great 1s who are in this category..

fight fan
06-28-2005, 03:01 PM
chavez....

id say lamotta but he laid down on the canvas on purpose a few times...tough guys dont do that..
These were mob fixed fights!!!!! It had nothing to do with his toughness which was unquestionable!!

fight fan
06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Barney Ross was another tough SOB! He was never KOed in his entire career. He was not a big puncher (similar to LaMotta) only 22KO's in 72 victories. He was world champ in the lightweight, Jr welterweight and welterweight divisions and only tasted the canvas once or twice in fights he won! He had exciting multi fight rivalries against hall of famers Jimmy McLarnin and Tony Canzoneri. His fights with McLarnin and Canzoneri were some of the greatest toe to toe wars in history!

DudeManGuy216
06-28-2005, 09:28 PM
chavez....

Only one of his fights were fixed and he didn't go down in it, he pretty much dropped his hands and took a beating until the 4th when the ref stopped it.
I say Jake LaMotta is the toughest because he took bad punishment to win his fights especially the Lauraunt Dauthille fight were Dauthille beat him up for 14 rounds until 30 secs before the bell of the final round LaMotta knocked him out.

hellfire508
07-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Muhammad Ali
George Chuvalo
Joe Frazier
Jake Lamotta
Arturo Gatti
Erik Morales

Ali_is_the_greatest17
07-12-2005, 04:51 PM
I think that Ali is the Toughest of all time by watching the "Rumble in the Jungle" fight with George Foreman. He was taking all of the punches that foreman threw (which were really hard ones).

Moon
07-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Randall Cobb. Took 15 rounds of ****kick from Holmes, and stayed upright.

IRONTIGER
07-12-2005, 07:03 PM
DARIUSZ TIGER MICHALCZEWSKI 1991 - 2005 48-2-0 :boxing:

jabsRstiff
07-13-2005, 10:34 AM
DARIUSZ TIGER MICHALCZEWSKI 1991 - 2005 48-2-0 :boxing:

F*ck you, idiot.

Hunna
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
larry holmes gotta get a mention, only ko'd once in career and that was against prime iron mike, mind you Holmes continued 2 fite despite being far past his prime.

jabsRstiff
07-13-2005, 04:35 PM
larry holmes gotta get a mention, only ko'd once in career and that was against prime iron mike, mind you Holmes continued 2 fite despite being far past his prime.

Because he was a boxer, people overlook Holmes' toughness.
He was as tough as they come.....but his brains overshadowed this fact.

Good one, hunna.

leff
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM
la motta, marciano and frazier.

anwaryussuf81
07-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Chuvalo was a tough guy

+= El Jefe=+
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Julio Cesar Chavez
Rocky Marciano

stepmonster
07-14-2005, 04:14 PM
ya i gotta agree, joe grim's awesome. no regaurd for his own body

chopper77
07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
What about Greb? One really tough bastard!!

Easy-E
07-15-2005, 07:38 PM
not sure about fraizer, quit on his stool against ali and was knocked down six times in one fight against fraizer and twice in the other.
i suppose you could say that he deserves credit for getting up all those times, but tough guys dont get embarrased like that

roberson2u
07-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Marvin Hagler

Pinoy_Texan
07-17-2005, 05:42 AM
Marciano. He was taking hits from guys who, at least, outweighed him by 5 pounds, 30 pounds the most. Still managed to keep a clean record.

BigIppoFireworks
07-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson

If you can overlook his draft dodging...
He had so many amature bouts / pro welterweight /pro middleweight bouts that ended in the first round but his longevity and also the fact that he's never been KO'd... (i think he was TKO'd once)

DudeManGuy216
07-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson

(i think he was TKO'd once)

yeah he was but it was from the heat. He passed out in the later rounds on his way back to his corner.

Parodius
07-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Marvelous Marvin Hagler was the toughest boxer I ever seen.

Hunna
07-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Joe had abnormal skull thickness that allowed him to take any punishment you could give him. His skull was twice as thick as a normal persons. That allowed him to absorb any shot you could give him and he would get up from it.

yeh? sounds like a mutant.

sisforshaq
07-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Wayne McCullough is tougher than Arturo Gatti. That guy took beatings from big punchers through out his whole career and never went down. Hes the toughest modern day fighter Ive ever seen. Also on the skull thickness part Waynes skull is twice as thick as the normal skull accoriding to his doctors.

davidf
07-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Toughest doesn,t mean human punching bag. It means i can lick anyone in this universe or any other.

Jack Dempsey in his prime would be the man.

shortright
08-03-2005, 11:27 PM
hagler, mickey ward, duran, chavez, ali

phil" the hitman "manny
08-04-2005, 05:57 AM
I agree McCullough is one tough hombre shame about the stoppage,also LaMotta & Marciano sheer will to win.

msocearnaigh
08-04-2005, 07:59 AM
lamotta.he purposely took a lot of punishment out of a sense of guilt.guilt he felt from the fact that he believed he killed a man during a botched mugging .he gave the fella a severe beating and left him for dead.years later the fella shows up after a title win/title defense(not sure) to congratulate lamotta.jake was never the same after that in the ring and he reckonsitn was down to his conscious being put at ease.
mccullough has a tremondous chin,one of the best .he was actually voted hardest chin everby RING recently(i think).not too many fighters get credits like that while still boxing

Shaolin Bushido
08-04-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm sure someone has already said it but in case they haven't ya'll should know Harry Greb is the correct answer.

chopper77
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey Shaolin, I said it, and we're both right. The correct answer is Harry Greb. Incredible ****ing tough guy.

LuKahnLi
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Harry Greb is a damn good choice.

His only stoppages came when he somehow broke his arm and when he was fighting a heavyweight.

LuKahnLi
08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
But if you go back to the old timers.......

I mean Peter Jackson and James Corbet fought eachother for 67 rounds. That is ridiculous....

chopper77
08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
67 Rounds!! Man that is nuts. That's 201 minutes of punching, or avoiding punches.

brandon sommerfeld
08-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Dempsey,Greb,Basilio,Lamotta,Marciano,Ali,Duran,Fu llmer.Oh,and how about John L Sullivans 75 rounds with Jake Killrain? Some tough SOBs for sure I know theres many more. Best,Brandon sommerfeld.

tommyhearns804
08-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Why is Marciano on this list period?I could name 100's of fighters tougher than he is.I am a big Foreman fan and he isnt on this list.Tough is Chuvalo.Look at the greats the man fought and never went down.Ali twice.Foreman Frazier.Quarry,Bonavena,Ellis ect ect ect.Chuvalo fought the best there was and never backed down and was never knocked down.Ali could not say the same Foreman could not Frazier could not Lamotta could not.Chuvalo is the only heavyweight who could say he fought the best and was never dropped so you have to give the man some props on that.

Chiro/Physio
08-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Anyone mention our Nigel? (Benn) :)

confederate_ghost_1861
08-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Randall Tex Cobb.

Troy Fine
08-21-2005, 03:59 AM
George Chuvalo, Marciano, Jack Dempsey

tommyhearns804
08-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Again why is Marciano even mentioned?Troy you have to be white.all of the fighters you just named were white.Dempsey was knocked out in the first round so that takes him off the list.Maricano was knocked down by a natural middleweight so he is off the list.
I forgot about Wayne Mccollough i think you spell his name like that.I don't believe he was ever knocked down either.And just because fighters from back in the day went alot of rounds dont mean they were tough.Fighters back then didnt throw that many punches and i know at one point in time the round ended when ever a fighter was either knocked down or pushed down.
Chuvalo,McCollough,fighters of that sort.Guys who fought their whole careers without being knocked down.I don't know why every time a white guy makes a post he has to find a way to pull Maricano out his ass.A tough fighter doesn't get knocked down with one punch by a man who is naturally a middleweight(Moore)A tough fighter doesnt duck fighters because they knocked him out as a amateur (Corley Wallace)A tough fighter isnt blasted out in one round like Dempsey did by a fighter like Flynn who had 27 loses at that point in time.

Shaolin Bushido
08-22-2005, 12:01 PM
So, Tommy Hearns 465u4 you don't consider the guy who's name you've borrowed tough? The thread said, "toughest", not who can take the most punishment. What about the one's who can take it, come back and dish it ... in spades? Like Marciano!

I stand by Greb though ... also Tony Zale. "The Man of Steel!"

Troy Fine
08-24-2005, 01:37 AM
marcaino was tough there is no arguing with that he never lost and he never was knocked out he only got knocked down becuase he threw punches awkward and got hit while off balance remember he got up in 2 and i think 3 seconds each time he got knocked down. Now Dempsey he was tough a mean mother ****er i just thought he was tough becuase i heard he tied himself to the rails on the bottom of a train now thats tough if he fell it would be instant death.Now Chuvalo theres no mistaking hes tough for those other guys you talked about i never heard of them i will be honest....and yes i do harbor certain fellings for white athletes jessus christ im white would it be wrong for a mexican to like mexican fighters?But i did forget one tough white guy at least he was tough in the fight i seen adn that was chuck wepner vs ali

BlockBuster
08-24-2005, 01:47 AM
Marciano and Frazier. Can't forget Dempsey.

Troy Fine
08-24-2005, 01:49 AM
best swarmers ever and toughest guys you got remember the way they fight its hard to stay up

leoz12
08-24-2005, 01:57 AM
dempsey ali lamotta and those bareknucklers there crazy

Popeye
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
la motta, marciano, mickey ward....tough dudes...

sonicman
09-06-2005, 03:05 AM
marvin hagler!

2nd II none
09-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Well seeing some of the beatings Ali took throughout his career I'd say he's pretty tough.

PerfectPunch
09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
no.1 is jake lamotta - he was as tough as they come, and in round 12 and half of r.13 he experienced over 5 mins of hell as Robinson delivered some of the most punishing blows on Lamotta. The stubborn Lamotta refused to go down against his ring enemy. Just read this;

Then, almost inevitably, on the counter Robinson opened up with his full arsenal and had LaMotta ready to go at the bell. LaMotta staggered back to his corner almost unable to see; Robinson stared at the champ in utter disbelief. LaMotta's wife Vicki had the round before turned away from the action, unable to watch her husband being carved up. Robinson moved in on LaMotta who's only vindication remained in absorbing what he knew was going to come from his mortal ring enemy. And the combinations showered down on LaMotta in the nearly fatal 12th, in those three minutes securing the adoration and more importantly the life memory of a generation of fight fans watching spellbound. Somehow, defying gravity and attrition, LaMotta was still standing at the end of the 12th.

At 2:04 of the 13th even the hardened veteran referee Sykora had seen enough foolish bravery from the dizzy and bleeding LaMotta and he raised the hand of the new middleweight champion of the world. Exhausted himself Ray Robinson could barely raise his arms to hug LaMotta as he was guided about the ring via his all but spent reserves of sheer will.

DudeManGuy216
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
hey Perfect Punch, where'd you find that cool post about LaMotta, hes one of my fave fighters
http://www.antekprizering.com/robinsonshoorbookpic.jpeg the Valentine's Day Massacre ending.

sonofisis
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Marvin Hagler for sure..

PerfectPunch
09-07-2005, 12:56 PM
hey Perfect Punch, where'd you find that cool post about LaMotta, hes one of my fave fighters
http://www.antekprizering.com/robinsonshoorbookpic.jpeg the Valentine's Day Massacre ending.

hey nice pic on the st valentines massacre btw. heres the link

http://www.secondsout.com/Legends/update.cfm?ccs=233&cs=8539

karlygash
09-07-2005, 03:12 PM
***1087;***1085;***1076;***1083;***1077;***1085;***1076;***1075;***1085; ***1075;***1076;***1085;***1078;***1082;***1075;***1096;***1101;***1096;***1101;***1078;***1072; ***1087;***1087;***1086;

monkeyman3596
09-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I will say Wilferdo Gomez because he was the total package speed power and defense

abyrvalg
09-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Holyfield, Marciano, Ali, Frazier
no matter how skillfull fighter is, touqhness is a different
thing, no connections with skills

Pariah21388
09-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Ali was definelty the toughest hands down.

Foldem4me
09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
These were mob fixed fights!!!!! It had nothing to do with his toughness which was unquestionable!!
Sorry to post so late in the thread. Listen, with all due respect to the opinions here about the great Lamotta, anyone who is in this game must always understand that their decisions stick with them. When Lamotta stuck himself to the canvas (even though for the mob) he understood how poorly that reflected on him. I think it was something he may have regretted. Tough or not when a boxer hits the canvas for anything other than a vicious hit or combo it reflects poorly upon them. Lamotta is one of my all time favorites too. Granted in those days the influence from the Mob could not be avoided and anyone who wanted to get ahead HAD to play ball. It's terribly unfortunate that this will reflect upon his record. Fighters like Lamotta simply would not advance in today's game. It would be considered brutal, inhumane and all that rubbish and the ref or doc would stop the fight. No way would a throwback fighting like Lamotta be able to take and keep a belt if he didn't change his style. And I don't mean just an aggressive fighter. I mean a f*ckin killer in gloves who's gonna take anything you got and spit it back in your face. Lamotta couldn't have a successful career in modern boxing as a fighter. He would certainly get a reputation as someone to avoid but he'd not have become a legend like his is now.

DudeManGuy216
09-17-2005, 01:30 AM
http://www.antekprizering.com/lamotta3.jpeg

LaMotta for President!!!

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Why is Marciano on this list period?I could name 100's of fighters tougher than he is.I am a big Foreman fan and he isnt on this list.Tough is Chuvalo.Look at the greats the man fought and never went down.Ali twice.Foreman Frazier.Quarry,Bonavena,Ellis ect ect ect.Chuvalo fought the best there was and never backed down and was never knocked down.Ali could not say the same Foreman could not Frazier could not Lamotta could not.Chuvalo is the only heavyweight who could say he fought the best and was never dropped so you have to give the man some props on that.
props to my man tommyhearns804 for knowing his stuff. george chuvalo is by far the toughest fighter in the history of the sport. no one has ever had the pleasure of putting his back on the canvas. no other boxer in the history of the sport who had a long career could say that. He was the greatest's (ali) punching bag for 27 rounds and didn't go down. smokin' joe probably dealt chuvalo the hardest punch of his career that KNOCKED HIS EYE SOCKETS OUT OF PLACE. he still stood up. the most thunderous puncher in the history of boxing could'nt send him smashing on to the canvas, aka "big" george foreman. so just as ali is the greatest, johnson is the most historically important, and liston is the most feared, chuvalo is the toughest, PERIOD.

legend_killer
10-27-2005, 12:03 AM
1. Joe Frazier: Went through 3 gruelling fights with Ali and still was not knocked out. His loss to Foreman was tough to bare, but Foreman would have killed anyone with the roll he was on. He got up from so many knockdowns that it was a miracle George didn't kill him.

2. Muhammad Ali: As mentioned above, he had 3 World Wars with Frazier and survived. He did what Frazier couldn't and defeated Foreman, but he played rope-a-dope for the majority of the fight. He outsmarted Foreman, rather than outpunching him.

3. Rocky Balboa: I had to put at least one fictional selection in the list. Rocky had the toughest head of anyone in boxing history. He survived 2 vicious 15-round fights with Apollo Creed to win the title on their second outing. After being knocked out in the 2nd round by Clubber Lang, he came back to return the favour in the rematch to regain his title. He then faced the Soviet monster Ivan Drago, the man who had killed Apollo Creed in the ring. He took it to the Russian and knocked him out in 15 brutal rounds. After retiring, he fought Tommy Gunn in a street fight and emerged victorious. Confirmed to be making a return in the film "Rocky Balboa", Rocky is the eternal hardman of boxing.

Dempsey 1919
10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
legend killer, you are an idiot. putting a fictional character next to hall of fame greats is insulting to those greats, the sport of boxing, and this forum. what happened? your small brain couldn't have thought of another REAL fighter? and da fact that you didn't even put chuvalo, which is fact without a shadow of a doubt the toughest, leads me to believe you know crap about boxing.

p.s.
ali would have knocked the crap out of balboa!

legend_killer
10-27-2005, 01:11 AM
legend killer, you are an idiot. putting a fictional character next to hall of fame greats is insulting to those greats, the sport of boxing, and this forum. what happened? your small brain couldn't have thought of another REAL fighter? and da fact that you didn't even put chuvalo, which is fact without a shadow of a doubt the toughest, leads me to believe you know crap about boxing.

p.s.
ali would have knocked the crap out of balboa!
My first two picks were legitimate, but picking Rocky was merely for my own personal amusement. Besides, if Rocky was real, the amount of punches that he has taken would make him the toughest thing to ever grace the Earth. But I have put Ali and Frazier first, because I respect them enough to put them over a movie character.

P.S. Grow a sense of humour. I mentioned the word "fictional" for a reason.

Dempsey 1919
10-27-2005, 01:16 AM
what about george chuvalo?

legend_killer
10-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Hell of a tough guy, from the stuff I've seen of him. I've just seen more of Ali and Frazier, so to me they are the two toughest boxers I've ever seen.

Dempsey 1919
11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Again why is Marciano even mentioned?Troy you have to be white.all of the fighters you just named were white.Dempsey was knocked out in the first round so that takes him off the list.Maricano was knocked down by a natural middleweight so he is off the list.
I forgot about Wayne Mccollough i think you spell his name like that.I don't believe he was ever knocked down either.And just because fighters from back in the day went alot of rounds dont mean they were tough.Fighters back then didnt throw that many punches and i know at one point in time the round ended when ever a fighter was either knocked down or pushed down.
Chuvalo,McCollough,fighters of that sort.Guys who fought their whole careers without being knocked down.I don't know why every time a white guy makes a post he has to find a way to pull Maricano out his ass.A tough fighter doesn't get knocked down with one punch by a man who is naturally a middleweight(Moore)A tough fighter doesnt duck fighters because they knocked him out as a amateur (Corley Wallace)A tough fighter isnt blasted out in one round like Dempsey did by a fighter like Flynn who had 27 loses at that point in time.

man, you certainly don't understand the circumstances concerning that fight. jack dempsey was a bum, and i don't mean he was a bad fighter, i mean he was a homeless person. :cool: when he fought flynn, dempsey hadn't eaten in four days! i don't think any fighter in history, except maybe chuvalo could not eat in 4 days and still have the strength to even climb into the ring. of course dempsey would be ko'd in one round cause he has no energy!

but there was a rematch, and guess what? dempsey ko'd flynn in one round, which was what was supposed to happen! please understand all the circumstances concerning a situation before you downgrade any fighter please! dempsey is da man! :boxing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/furniture/in_depth/other_sports/2000/lewis_v_tua/slideshow/2.jpg

leff
11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
marciano, frazier and la motta comes to my mind

Yogi
11-28-2005, 04:17 PM
man, you certainly don't understand the circumstances concerning that fight. jack dempsey was a bum, and i don't mean he was a bad fighter, i mean he was a homeless person. :cool: when he fought flynn, dempsey hadn't eaten in four days! i don't think any fighter in history, except maybe chuvalo could not eat in 4 days and still have the strength to even climb into the ring. of course dempsey would be ko'd in one round cause he has no energy!

but there was a rematch, and guess what? dempsey ko'd flynn in one round, which was what was supposed to happen! please understand all the circumstances concerning a situation before you downgrade any fighter please! dempsey is da man! :boxing:

That's one of your better posts that I've seen from you, Butterfly, and I'm glad you looked into that fight beyond a short trip over to boxrec...Yes, that fight was considered a dive back in the day and to Dempsey, the $500 he recieved for taking the count was a hell of a lot more than the $25-50 that he was usually recieving for his fights at that time. He needed the money to pay off his mother's rather large food bill or something along those lines (it was bills/debts of some kind anyways), and that was the quickest/easiest way to make the cash. Of course the decision was helped out plenty by the fact that Jack had just recently hurt his hand while helping out in a bowling alley and hadn't fought for some time going into it...He needed the cash!

There's a bunch of eyewitness statements still around from that time that back up the story that Dempsey took a dive. Nat Fleischer, Ring Magazine, some newspapers, Dempsey's first manager, Dempsey's first wife, and a few others who were in attendance, and they all say the same thing in regards to Jack agreeing to go down in the 1st round.

Dempsey 1919
11-28-2005, 04:21 PM
That's one of your better posts that I've seen from you, Butterfly, and I'm glad you looked into that fight beyond a short trip over to boxrec...Yes, that fight was considered a dive back in the day and to Dempsey, the $500 he recieved for taking the count was a hell of a lot more than the $25-50 that he was usually recieving for his fights at that time. He needed the money to pay off his mother's rather large food bill or something along those lines (it was bills/debts of some kind anyways), and that was the quickest/easiest way to make the cash. Of course the decision was helped out plenty by the fact that Jack had just recently hurt his hand while helping out in a bowling alley and hadn't fought for some time going into it...He needed the cash!

There's a bunch of eyewitness statements still around from that time that back up the story that Dempsey took a dive. Nat Fleischer, Ring Magazine, some newspapers, Dempsey's first manager, Dempsey's first wife, and a few others who were in attendance, and they all say the same thing in regards to Jack agreeing to go down in the 1st round.

bert sugar said he lost 'cause he didn't eat any food in 4 four days, since he was a hobo.

Kid Achilles
11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
It was either a dive, he was half starved to death, or possibly both. Either way he beat him easily in a rematch as Butterfly has said.

Da Iceman
11-29-2005, 10:00 AM
this guys a idiot, dempsey hadnt eatin in 4 days marciano got caught off balance its not like he was hurt cuz he came back and ko'd him, so did dempsey in the next fight.

anyway heres my list

marciano
frazier
ali
chuvalo

SugaShane
11-29-2005, 03:05 PM

George Chuvalo. Maybe not the most skilled, but would get pummelled and keep throwing back.

ag512bbi
12-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Gotta agree, Hagler!!! Tough, Tough, This guy went through anyone at any time.

leff
12-25-2005, 09:24 PM
in no order

frazier,marciano,chuvalo,braddock,lamotta,holyfiel d

Dempsey 1919
12-25-2005, 09:46 PM
in no order

frazier,marciano,chuvalo,braddock,lamotta,holyfiel d

name one person besides chuvalo that wasn't floored. enough said!

Pugnacious_Z
12-25-2005, 11:51 PM
to the guy who started this thread. toughness doesnt mean taking many punches, dats genetics, sum guy cud take 1000 punches and it might not hurt him dat much, dat doesnt make him tough, it makes his chin tough which is all genetics. toughness cant be sum1 who beats every1 like sum1 said becoz that just means your skillful. toughness means being in the most pain and still continuing which really means Heart. and if dats the case, then a person who has a granite chin and doesnt get hurt by punches, he isnt really tough coz he hasnt been tested.
its like the saying, "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared". "toughness is being in extreme pain and still goin on, if there isnt any pain, thats no toughness". its the same with dis. u cud have the weakest chin and no boxing skill and lose in 1 round, but goin to the extreme with ur pain and not giving up no matter wat, dats toughness.

Dempsey 1919
12-25-2005, 11:59 PM
to the guy who started this thread. toughness doesnt mean taking many punches, dats genetics, sum guy cud take 1000 punches and it might not hurt him dat much, dat doesnt make him tough, it makes his chin tough which is all genetics. toughness cant be sum1 who beats every1 like sum1 said becoz that just means your skillful. toughness means being in the most pain and still continuing which really means Heart. and if dats the case, then a person who has a granite chin and doesnt get hurt by punches, he isnt really tough coz he hasnt been tested.
its like the saying, "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared". "toughness is being in extreme pain and still goin on, if there isnt any pain, thats no toughness". its the same with dis. u cud have the weakest chin and no boxing skill and lose in 1 round, but goin to the extreme with ur pain and not giving up no matter wat, dats toughness.

no that's just stupidity lol!

leff
12-26-2005, 07:28 AM
name one person besides chuvalo that wasn't floored. enough said!

so you cant be tough and floored?

lol

Pugnacious_Z
12-26-2005, 08:26 AM
i agree leff, dis thread is about the toughest boxer not the hardest chin

Brassangel
12-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Ali was tough, but not the toughest. It wasn't a matter of how much of a beating he could take as apposed to how many clean shots he could take. Landing the clean one was difficult. Lots of guys who weren't even very strong put Ali on the mat in the 60's (Doug Jones, anyone?). He couldn't take clean shots that well, but he could put up with good fighters all night long. Had George Foreman landed a few clean shots to the chin, Ali never would have been the comeback king.

I wondered if somebody was going to mention Texx Cobb; took a 15 round stomping at the hands of Larry Holmes and stayed standing. Holmes even looked to the ref a few times to get the fight stopped, but they just let it continue while Cobb took wide open blasts. Howard Cossell was finished with boxing after this fight.

Larry Holmes himself was pretty tough. His only knockout being at the hands of Mike Tyson says a lot, especially since he was in his late 30's at the time. Granted, Holmes had more weight on his body at the time, generally making it tougher to feel the punches, but he still took a few good ones before falling in the 4th.

Marciano could usually get beat up all night long and still managed to stay perfect. Joe Wallcott is a good example of this.

Man, there are so many tough fighters in history, this is really a tough one to vote on!

Da Iceman
12-26-2005, 12:09 PM
marciano, he had a split nose and still knocked charles the **** out

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047/cut.jpg

supaduck
12-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Someone earlier mentioned Nigel Benn. Not the toughest fighter ever, but still one tough ****er. He was knocked out of the ring twice by Mclellan and still came back to fight.

Dempsey 1919
12-27-2005, 02:20 AM
chuvaloooooo!

75th
12-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Marciano, LaMotta, Tex Cobb, Chuvalo..........all came to mind the second I read this title.

supaduck
12-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Lamotta was tough as nails.

fight fan
12-27-2005, 09:57 AM
i agree leff, dis thread is about the toughest boxer not the hardest chin

I agree! the quality of chin has nothing to do with toughness! Toughness is mostly mental!!!!!

Take Golota for instance. The shot he took from Tyson in their fight was impressive! He barely went down and was up by 1 or 2, but he was the most un-tough fighter I can think of. His non-toughness and mental state is what made him the biggest waste of talent the last 20 years! Some would kill for a chin like his, but it didn't do him any good!

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Tex Cobb wanted to get into fights with some of these people, that's what made him tough. He wasn't very good, but he was tough.

Rocky Marciano was tough, not just for being able to take a punch, but for being able to clobber people back when anyone else might have dropped. Plus, the gloves were constructed in a poor fashion back then, which made taking a punch a little more difficult.

Chuck Wepner was tough. He's the guy who inspired Sly to write Rocky.

magnifytheword
12-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I'd say wepner. Did you ever see the fight between him and Ali? DAMN......wepner's head was swelled up like a balloon, and he NEVER went down in his entire career. He was a big ass guy, but he could take the punishment like no other i've seen.

Southpaw Stinger
12-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd say wepner. Did you ever see the fight between him and Ali? DAMN......wepner's head was swelled up like a balloon, and he NEVER went down in his entire career. He was a big ass guy, but he could take the punishment like no other i've seen.

Yeah he was real tough. We have to thank him because he helped to inspire Sly Stallone to write Rocky!

magnifytheword
12-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey southpaw stinger.......wanna just say I think you're a good man. Most forums......hell, most people if you say something to them or about them in one post they won't agree with you on anything and will try to make your life hell for the rest of your time on the forum. In a different post I told you to take your dick outta your bf's ass and we dissagreed....you called me a 10yr old, but yet in this thread we agree and there's no flaming. I can't say as much for most people. If I had any points i'd donate some to you. This is one helluva forum. Glad I found it.

Brassangel
12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
While the Rocky series produced the least realistic boxing I've ever seen, the first and second movies actually had quality character development and an interesting story. Thanks to Mr. Wepner for putting on a show against the travelling circus!

Southpaw Stinger
12-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey southpaw stinger.......wanna just say I think you're a good man. Most forums......hell, most people if you say something to them or about them in one post they won't agree with you on anything and will try to make your life hell for the rest of your time on the forum. In a different post I told you to take your dick outta your bf's ass and we dissagreed....you called me a 10yr old, but yet in this thread we agree and there's no flaming. I can't say as much for most people. If I had any points i'd donate some to you. This is one helluva forum. Glad I found it.

No problem man. That was a different debate so I keep it seperate from the rest of the forum.

Cheers

opethdrums
12-28-2005, 02:20 PM
"for those other guys you talked about i never heard of them i will be honest....and yes i do harbor certain fellings for white athletes jessus christ im white would it be wrong for a mexican to like mexican fighters?"

it's a breath of fresh air to see pride without racism

leff
12-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah he was real tough. We have to thank him because he helped to inspire Sly Stallone to write Rocky!

i do think raocky was inspired by many boxers.

the huge underdog story and rocky record remninds me about braddock.

the character rocky probably inspired by marciano

and the apollo-rocky fight inspired from ali-wepner

blockhead
12-28-2005, 07:40 PM
lamatta chuvalo even though he is falling apart now i think holy deserves mention.

boxing912
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
mickey ward jake lamotta

bud.rud
12-30-2005, 12:59 PM
OUCH!!! i nearly gagged when i saw that Rocky nose pic. He musta been hella ugly after that (as if he wasnt already messed up)

Oh yea... props to the bareknucklers who would go 100 rounds even if that meant 1 round = knock down. Many of those fighters died back then. To survive those kinda fights you need a lot of mental and physical toughness. You try getting pummeled bareknuckled that many times and come back for more. And they weren't always little bar fights either... Heavyweights as well.

rorymac
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Let's see. Julio Cesar Chavez took a sickening number of head punches in his career, and never flinched, even with a bloody, swollen face. The middleweight Jack Dempsey of the late 1800s was incredibly tough, winning fights with some hideous disease. Harry Greb, Arturo Gatti of course, Mickey Ward, Jimmy Wilde. Calzaghe is tougher than you haters think, much tougher.

lexelterrible
11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I think fighters from past eras were generally more tough than todays fighters, simply because they had to be. They fought a whole bunch of times a year and for not much pay. Not to say some fighters today aren't tough.

My vote goes to Antonio Margarito. That guy is a beast. He is an awesome fighter, who can take a punch like no one's business. He reminds me of the old school fighters. He came up the hard way, he had a couple of losses early on, the the man's an anvil.

Wyson
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Marciano all the way

KostyaTszyu44
11-27-2008, 04:37 AM
ali and frazier were tough guys man, they beat the living hell out of each other in the thrilla in manila

morales, barrera, pacquiao are all tough dudes too, JMM deserves a mention for picking himself up off the canvas with a busted nose x3 vs pacquiao

la motta of course, gatti, ray robinson was very tough also

so many tough fighters, in fact just about every guy to step through the ropes is/was tough, especially the elite guys....

you have to be tough to make a career in boxing, its not for the soft or cowardly

BattlingNelson
11-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Battling Nelson. He had the doctors words for being inhuman and couldn't feel pain.

JulioCesaChavez
11-27-2008, 10:16 AM
The one and only, Julio Cesar Chavez. He redefines the maning of the term alpha male! Duran is second and Barrera is third.

Richie-G
11-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Battling Nelson. He had the doctors words for being inhuman and couldn't feel pain.

yeah apparently this guys skull was three times thicker than the average person, so he couldnt be knocked out lol.

stefjonno1
11-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Muhammad ali's toughness is way underated imo.

Ian_ST24i
11-27-2008, 04:43 PM
In the time i've been watching boxing, HAGLER is the toughest fighter i've seen, closely followed by J.C.CHAVEZ.

Roger Mellie
11-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Marvin Hagler has gotta be in there.some of the shots he took in the Hearns and Mugabi fights were sickening,but he just shrugged them off and kept bombing away

FRANKGWJ
11-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Ali is the toughest.

ironalex
11-27-2008, 05:47 PM
idk how you define toughness? do you define it by chin? or chin and heart, like refusal to go down, if its the latter...gotta be jake lamotta.

stefjonno1
11-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Well ali fought in the best heavyweight era, against the hardest punching heavys and was never stopped by any man! So i dont see how you can get any tougher. I know he was stopped in the holmes fight but his corner pulled him out im sure he would have continued, plus he was riddled wi parkinsons and waaay shot by that time.

JAB5239
11-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Im gonna throw out a name not very well known, but a true tough guy. With a record of 12-41-4 Marion Wilson is a stepping stone for many of the games best fighters. He's been in the ring with such names as Botha, Briggs, Golota, Jeremy Williams, Mercer, Thunder, Mavrovic, Kirk Johnson, Biggs, Izon, Norris, Jefferson, Maskaev, donald, Rahman, Peter, McCall Chazz Witherspoon, and never been stopped by them. He was stopped one time on cuts in a career spanning 57 fights against some of the games toughest guys. Nobody will ever confuse this guy with the greats, but he is as tough as anybody who has laced em up.

YUHHHHHHH!
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Calzaghefffffffff

ElScorcho
11-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Jake LaMotta

The Jackal
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
idk how you define toughness? do you define it by chin? or chin and heart, like refusal to go down, if its the latter...gotta be jake lamotta.
Yes on a good chin & only being knocked down once La motta would be right up there maybe the toughest took some shots off Ray Robinson & a fighter who was very tough was George Chuvalo went in with a lot of the golden era heavies likes of Ali etc but a lightweight is the toughest Battling Nelson.

SHADYV1
11-30-2008, 01:30 PM
The True Blood & Guts Warrior.... Arturo "Thunder" Gatti :).... one of many.

cptroyce
11-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Dempsey, Zale, LaMotta, and I've watched their first fight maybe 30 times, Ward and Gatti get in this catagory on that fight alone..IMHO

Southpaw16BF
12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Been some really toughed guys mentioned here, do i do think even do he was a caution first fighter soutpaw, Hector Chamacho is pretty underrated for toughness he went in with some pretty big punchers and some heavy handed guys such as Jose Luis Ramirez,Edwin Rosario,Vinny Pazienza,Julio Cesar Chavez,Roberto Duranx2,Ray Leonard,Oscar De La Hoya,Felix Trinidad, and Yes Leonard and Duran were over the hill but Duran could still bang a bit, and he took a beating from Chavez in the later rounds, Trinidad hit with some bombs and so did Oscar, and he beat Paz, Edwin and Ramirez.Never stopped in 86 bouts.

marciano1952
12-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Battling Nelson also Gets my Vote

Dan...
12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Obviously the two that first come to mind are Gatti and LaMotta. They are probably the two most highly publicised because of their toughness. Not sure if they actually were the toughest guys though.

Dan...
12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Been some really toughed guys mentioned here, do i do think even do he was a caution first fighter soutpaw, Hector Chamacho is pretty underrated for toughness he went in with some pretty big punchers and some heavy handed guys such as Jose Luis Ramirez,Edwin Rosario,Vinny Pazienza,Julio Cesar Chavez,Roberto Duranx2,Ray Leonard,Oscar De La Hoya,Felix Trinidad, and Yes Leonard and Duran were over the hill but Duran could still bang a bit, and he took a beating from Chavez in the later rounds, Trinidad hit with some bombs and so did Oscar, and he beat Paz, Edwin and Ramirez.Never stopped in 86 bouts.

Good call. Hector was one tough SOB.

The Jackal
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Same here Battling Nelson is the toughest

Unknown Champ
12-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Hagler was a tough SOB!!!!!!!!!!

0Rooster4Life0
12-16-2008, 03:07 AM

Yes but it ruins his credibility , and i dont think it is fair to call a "Diver" the toughest in Boxing, Doesn't look good for the sport. But he was a great fighter.

But id have to say Marciano , 49 - 0 doesn't lie, I have seen fights when he has been beat up but came back to win, he took a fantastic Left hook from Walcott in the first fight, that would have KOed 99% of men, But Rocky got up after 2 and didn't even looked hurt. A tough man

KostyaTszyu44
12-20-2008, 06:15 AM
not sure about fraizer, quit on his stool against ali and was knocked down six times in one fight against fraizer and twice in the other.
i suppose you could say that he deserves credit for getting up all those times, but tough guys dont get embarrased like that

no he didnt, his trainer stopped the fight and joe never spoke to him again

Nicky Gambino
12-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Only one of his fights were fixed and he didn't go down in it, he pretty much dropped his hands and took a beating until the 4th when the ref stopped it.
I say Jake LaMotta is the toughest because he took bad punishment to win his fights especially the Lauraunt Dauthille fight were Dauthille beat him up for 14 rounds until 30 secs before the bell of the final round LaMotta knocked him out.

This is true, LaMotta only threw one fight aginst Billy Fox on 14th November 1947. A quote from Lamotta is as follows:

"The first round, a couple of belts to his head, and I see a glassy look coming over his eyes. Jesus Christ, a couple of jabs and he's going to fall down? I began to panic a little. I was supposed to be throwing a fight to this guy, and it looked like I was going to end up holding him on his feet ... By the fourth round, if there was anybody in the Garden who didn't know what was happening, he must have been dead drunk."

In LaMotta's defence his hands were pretty much tied. If he wanted a title fight it was looking like this was the only way to get it. Boxing was much more corrupt then, with the Mafia at it's peak.

Jake LaMotta for toughest fighter in my opinion, I don't claim to have seen every boxer but this guy was like a train.

Nicky Gambino
12-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Calzaghefffffffff

Calzaghe? Based on what?

BattlingNelson
12-22-2008, 04:50 PM

From a biography:

"Despite his condition, Gans had punished Nelson severely in their three bouts. Yet he admitted that while "I hit him blows with which I have knocked out many heavier men ... they had no effect other than to snap Bat's head back. He is simply impervious to punishment." Bat himself liked to gloat, "I ain't human." Doctors who examined him seemed to agree. They were amazed by his "quiet" nervous system, his abnormally low heart beat, his phenomenal recuperative powers."

Yes on a good chin & only being knocked down once La motta would be right up there maybe the toughest took some shots off Ray Robinson & a fighter who was very tough was George Chuvalo went in with a lot of the golden era heavies likes of Ali etc but a lightweight is the toughest Battling Nelson.

Here is an excerpt of the fightreport from the bloodiest LW titlefight ever. The 1910 fight between Battling Nelson (champ) and Ad Wolgast (challenger). It's from The Post Standard. February 23. 1910 and it's a good read:

"Battling Nelson is no longer champion, but the extent of his powers of endurance is still a thing to be guessed at. His fight with Ad Wolgast at Richmond to-day was stopped by Eddie .Smith in the fortieth round at a time 'when Nelson stood upright on his feet. But the referee acted wisely, for in one or two of the rounds before the last Nelson leaned across the ropes in a manner that suggested impending collapse.

His face was punched out of a semblance to a human countenance and great strawberry blotches around his stomach and hips bore testimony to the merciless battering of Wolgast's fists.

Nelson was too feeble to fight on with any hopes of success. Wolgast's eyes were snappy while Nelson's were lusterless. The Dane had lost all sense of distance and direction and could only fling out his arms in a feeble way.

"Telegraphs" Blows,

He "telegraphed" his blows, as the rail "birds of the prize ring say, so that even if he had retained the power to hurt, his intentions were so palpable that his opponent had ample time in which to escape.- The champion was only a punching bag for Wolgast. and to have allowed the thing to continue would have been to incur the risk of fatality.

It could be seen in several rounds before the finish that the referee was on uneasy street, He eyed Nelson closely, especially whenever the man from Hegewisch arose from his leaning positions across the

ropes,, -At the end of the thirty-ninth, which was a particularly severe one for Nelson, Smith took the champion by the elbow and led him to his corner.

There he told both Nelson and those who were handling' him that it looked as though all hope was lost and that the champion had better give up. Nelson shook his head in a -weary, yet determined way, and said:
"Never, never, never." "I'll give you one more chance, Bat, and you' must show me something in this coming round," said Smith, decisively, shaking his forefinger at the bady bruised ring-man huddled In his corner. "If you don't do any better, I'll stop the fight,"

When the gong1 signaled the start oŁ the fortieth round Nelson stalked in a heavy footed way toward- Wolgast and began hooking and swinging aimlessly. He was so weak that he disturbed his own balance whenever he lashed out, and Wolgast chuckled as he noted how easy it was to avoid the fast fading world beater.

When Wolgast stepped in. briskly and began to batter his feeble opponent on face and body the wonder was that Nelson did not topple.- Although scarcely able to, raise an arm, the durable Dane stood as straight as "Files on parade," even while Wolgast smashed him full sore on the face.

Dane's Spirit Unbroken.

After Wolgast had driven two extra heavy right handers against Nelson's badly puffed lips Smith jumped quickly between the men and brought it to an end right then and there. He grasped Wolgast's blood- soaked glove and raised it aloft, the orthodox pugilistic way of declaring a winner.

Nelson was loath to quit. He laid his hand on Wolgast's shoulder to attract his opponent's attention, and then raised his hands feebly to the fighting position. It was an invitation to continue and the terribly battered lightweight meant it. Wolgast only grinned and drew away from -the man he had fairly beaten, and then Nelson's seconds interfered."

MarkScott
12-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Joe Grimm
Battling Nelson