View Full Version : Mike McCallum vs Bernard Hopkins: who do you rank higher on the ATG list?

General Zod
03-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Mike McCallum:
Three division World Champion
Best wins:
Steve Collins
Michael Watson
Herol Graham
Toney II (he clearly won that fight)

Bernard Hopkins:
Two division World Champion
Best wins
Tito
Tarver
Pavlik
Winky

geribeetus
03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
hopkins just for his superhuman longevity

them_apples
03-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Hopkins, but from what i've seen Mccallum was supremely skilled.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
hopkins just for his superhuman longevity
McCallum was still fighting at the elite level at 40, I still think he was the best fighter Roy fought at lhw as well. His last fight was a competitive fight with Toney at CW, but I guess Hopkins beats him in longevity because he is still fighting at 45 years of age. Very skilled and underrated fighter his first fight with Toney was amazing.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Hopkins, but from what i've seen Mccallum was supremely skilled.
Have you seen McCallum Toney I? That was an amazing fight.

rsf
03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
not sure on this, but i know you are all going to shoot me down here but head to head i would pick mccallum to beat hopkins

them_apples
03-26-2010, 05:29 PM
not sure on this, but i know you are all going to shoot me down here but head to head i would pick mccallum to beat hopkins

once again, from what I've seen, it's a possibility. Hopkins seems like the type of guy who would do a bit more to win though. IMO. In his prime of course.

rsf
03-26-2010, 05:35 PM
you see themapples i think the opposite i see mccallum being as crafty as hopkins and digging the body and making hopkins fight out of his comfort zone and pushing the fight and out working hopkins to sneak a close decision .but who knows it would of been a good fight though

them_apples
03-26-2010, 05:47 PM
you see themapples i think the opposite i see mccallum being as crafty as hopkins and digging the body and making hopkins fight out of his comfort zone and pushing the fight and out working hopkins to sneak a close decision .but who knows it would of been a good fight though

to be honest i haven't see much of Mccallum outside of the Toney fights.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
to be honest i haven't see much of Mccallum outside of the Toney fights.
The Watson fight is a great fight

rsf
03-26-2010, 05:55 PM
The Watson fight is a great fight

yeah the watson fight is a really good fight i came away thinking and i mean no disrespect to watson that i had just seen a master in with a pupil

General Zod
03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
yeah the watson fight is a really good fight i came away thinking and i mean no disrespect to watson that i had just seen a master in with a pupil
Yeah, McCallum was on a different level to Watson, no doubt about that. How do you think Benn would of done against McCallum back then. I think McCallum by late ko.

rsf
03-26-2010, 06:11 PM
i love benn but at middle which i think the mccallum/watson and only a year after watson beat benn i think benn gets saved by ref at some point after the 7th

General Zod
03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
i love benn but at middle which i think the mccallum/watson and only a year after watson beat benn i think benn gets saved by ref at some point after the 7th
I could see this outcome happening

According to Benns autobiography the winner of Benn/Watson was scheduled to fight McCallum, which Watson did.

rsf
03-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I could see this outcome happening

According to Benns autobiography the winner of Benn/Watson was scheduled to fight McCallum, which Watson did.

i think then that benn got lucky in defeat,can you imagine if benn had gone into a fight with mccallum with the same game plan as he did the watson fight
:omfg:

#1Assassin
03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
mike mccallum all day. hopkins has been a great fighter but mccallums resume is just too strong for me to pick hopkins over him. and the styles make fights thing doesnt really apply since mccallum was arguably the most well rounded fighter in history and could compete with anyone in any type of fight.

look at the mans resume:

julian jackson KO
donald curry KO
milton mccrory KO
michael watson KO
ayub kalule KO
sumbu kalambay points
steve collins points
james toney points (he won the second fight)

and thats just of the top of my head, i think hes got one or two more names on his resume.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
mike mccallum all day. hopkins has been a great fighter but mccallums resume is just too strong for me to pick hopkins over him. and the styles make fights thing doesnt really apply since mccallum was arguably the most well rounded fighter in history and could compete with anyone in any type of fight.

look at the mans resume:

julian jackson KO
donald curry KO
milton mccrory KO
michael watson KO
ayub kalule KO
sumbu kalambay points
steve collins points

and thats just of the top of my head, i think hes got one or two more names on his resume.
Excellent post

McCallum was clearly robbed in his second fight with Toney, Toney was the bigger name so he got the nod. Toney would get the same treatment in the first Sam Peter fight as well.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 06:59 PM
i think then that benn got lucky in defeat,can you imagine if benn had gone into a fight with mccallum with the same game plan as he did the watson fight
:omfg:
Benn fought a dumb fight that day, thats for sure. He was too caught up in his own hype of being a ko machine and ended up getting koed by a jab.:boxing:

#1Assassin
03-26-2010, 07:04 PM

look at the mans resume:

julian jackson KO
donald curry KO
milton mccrory KO
michael watson KO
ayub kalule KO
sumbu kalambay points
steve collins points

checked it out on boxrec and indeed i missed a few names:

herol graham points
jeff harding points
luigi minchillo KO (went the distance with hearns and duran)
david braxton KO (decent kronk fighter, 35-1 at the time)

look at that ****ing resume, both posts. and watching him in action hes even more impressive. they dont make fighter like that anymore, even hopkins falls short.

wmute
03-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I think Hopkins has achieved more, but it's close.

Head to head.... Hopkins has never been in with anyone as good as the body snatcher. (except Jones of course). What a fight this would have been.

Snopkins
03-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Mike McCallums resume as a middleweight is actually better than Hopkins.

Herol Graham,Michael Watson,Steve Collins and Sumbu Kalambay is greater than Trinidad,De La Hoya,Keith Holmes and William Joppy as far as I'm concerned.Throw in McCallums run as a JWW(arguably the greatest in that divisions history) with wins over Milton McCrory,Donald Curry,Julian Jackson and Ayub Kalule and it an even more decisive gap etween the two.

General Zod
03-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Mike McCallums resume as a middleweight is actually better than Hopkins.

Herol Graham,Michael Watson,Steve Collins and Sumbu Kalambay is greater than Trinidad,De La Hoya,Keith Holmes and William Joppy as far as I'm concerned.Throw in McCallums run as a JWW(arguably the greatest in that divisions history) with wins over Milton McCrory,Donald Curry,Julian Jackson and Ayub Kalule and it an even more decisive gap etween the two.
Another great post, Snopkins you are full of surprises