View Full Version : Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Both these guys held world titles in the middle weights for a considerable amount of time. Benn held the WBO Middleweight Title in 1990 and the WBC Super Middleweight Title from 1992 to 1996.

Eubank beat Benn for the World Middleweight Title in 1990 and held it until 91 when he dropped it to move up a weight in 91. He won the WBO Super Middleweight Title in 91 or 92 I think...then had a WBC/WBO Unification rematch with Benn in 93 which was another great fight, fought to a draw.

Eubank held his title until 95 when he lost it to Steve Collins (who also beat Benn, a year later).

Eubank and Benn had a big rivalry that was mainly built up by the media because they were both around their peak at the same time, at the same weight and were distinctly different characters. Benn made no secret of his dislike for Eubank's personality and as a result of these factors, their rivalry was really promoted in the media and captured the imagination of the British public...in fact, I think I heard their second fight in 93 was watched by a billion people throughout the world.

Eubank was retired by Joe Calzaghe in 1997, to whom he lost the title. But Calzaghe has said this was the toughest fight of his career.

However, neither of these guys ever went to America to fight....where big name opponents like Roy Jones, James Toney and Bernard Hopkins awaited.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I never really knew much about the reasons as to why neither of these went to America. I would have thought that after their fight in 1990 Eubank would have strongly considered going over there...and Benn too. They could have made a lot of money.

As a result I wonder how well known Benn and Eubank are in the States and whether or not they are given credit for being two of the best middleweight and supermiddleweight fighters from about 1989-1997.

I'd like to know more about how well known they were in America and what factors prevented them from ever competing over there. I think either men could have given the top American middleweights of the time a good run for their money.

Either way, their rivalry was great for British boxing.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Benn fought Dewitt and Barkley in America
Eubank turned Pro in America

Benn and Eubank would of gone to America to fight Jones as well

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
And Benn travelled to Italy to take the WBC title from Galvano.

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Benn fought Dewitt and Barkley in America
Eubank turned Pro in America

Benn and Eubank would of gone to America to fight Jones as well

I know Eubank was raised in NY and started boxing there.....didn't know Benn fought in the States so thanks for that. But obviously neither of these guys went there for real big fights...not in the way that Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, Naseem Hamed etc did.

As a result I'm interested as to how much the American public knows about the two fighters.

stefjonno1
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Well actually they both did fight in America! Lol.

Eubank was only in the game for the cash, he said that many times, so obviously he was not gonna risk loosing. He actually lost to quite a few no name fighters, the no namers just got real bad decisions.

Roy jones and B hop were not the big stars they are now. I never herd b hop ever mention that he wanted to fight either of them. What was gonna happen was the winner of benn-MCclellan fights the winner of Toney-Jones, but after what happend to gerald, there was a lot of real bad feeling, and Oliver mcall never helped either when before the Bruno fight he said he was gonna do to Bruno what the uk peeps done to his friend Gerald! Benn was pretty much all over after the mCclellan fight, it was just about squeezing as much cash outta the game as pos. And he was getting a whole lot of cash in the UK. It was just bad circumstances.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I know Eubank was raised in NY and started boxing there.....didn't know Benn fought in the States so thanks for that. But obviously neither of these guys went there for real big fights...not in the way that Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, Naseem Hamed etc did.

As a result I'm interested as to how much the American public knows about the two fighters.
Eubank offered Jones a fight back in 96, but Jones turned it down saying Eubank is no good to me after losing twice to Collins

Not really sure what happen with Jones-Benn, Jones said he wouldnt sign because King wanted fight options.

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Dewitt and Berkeley were pretty big fights for Benn. Both were world class and had fought the likes of Hearns, Duran etc.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
. What was gonna happen was the winner of benn-MCclellan fights the winner of Toney-Jones, but after what happend to gerald, there was a lot of real bad feeling, Benn was pretty much all over after the mCclellan fight, it was just about squeezing as much cash outta the game as pos. And he was getting a whole lot of cash in the UK. It was just bad circumstances.
Do you know why Benn Jones fell through?

D-MiZe
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Jones asking for too much I think or him not wanting to be involved with DK.

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
It was because Benn lost to Malinga the year after McClellan. If Nigel kept winning and calling out Roy the fight would have eventually happened. Benn was rated pound for pound number three before he lost to Malinga, with jones and De La Hoya taking the top two spots from memory.

stefjonno1
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Not really. If Roy would have came to London to fight Benn it would have happend, and vice versa. I dont blame Roy for not wanting to go to London to fight benn after the mCclellan situation. And i dont blame Benn for not going to America to fight a great younger champ either, like i said he was pretty much washed up after mCclellan. Plus the Don king connection would have been an issue as well. I was actually at Benns last winning fight, it was on the under card of Bruno - MCall.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:25 PM
It was because Benn lost to Malinga the year after McClellan. If Nigel kept winning and calling out Roy the fight would have eventually happened. Benn was rated pound for pound number three before he lost to Malinga, with jones and De La Hoya taking the top two spots from memory.
It was supposed to be made in 95 after the McClellan fight, 96 would of been to late then, Benn was clearly shot by then

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
alright, cheers for the info so far...

I've just been watching a TV special (which is on youtube) with Benn and Eubank from 93 that I'd forgotten about, just before their rematch. It was called 'The Best of Enemies', hosted by Jonathan Ross.

At the end they get James Toney on satellite link up and he runs his mouth, disses their mothers, English people etc...Eubank didn't take it too well *laugh*

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:28 PM
And i dont blame Benn for not going to America to fight a great younger champ either, like i said he was pretty much washed up after mCclellan.
Benn was willing to go to America, to fight Jones. Your second point, yes he was finished after McClellan

Plus the Don king connection would have been an issue as well. .
Jones says that King was demanding options on his fights, which is why he didnt sign. He signed with King later on though

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
alright, cheers for the info so far...

I've just been watching a TV special (which is on youtube) with Benn and Eubank from 93 that I'd forgotten about, just before their rematch. It was called 'The Best of Enemies', hosted by Jonathan Ross.

At the end they get James Toney on satellite link up and he runs his mouth, disses their mothers, English people etc...Eubank didn't take it too well *laugh*

I dont mind English people, but all of their fighters are bums
James Toney, 96

stefjonno1
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
It was supposed to be made in 95 after the McClellan fight, 96 would of been to late then, Benn was clearly shot by then

Yep never had anything to do with the Malinga fight, which i was at by the way. The hype for Benn-Jones was straight after the MCclellan fight, it was then or never.

Benn was willing to go to America, to fight Jones

Yeah i remember him saying this, im sure i remember Roy saying he'd come to the UK aswell, i think it was half hearted gestures to be honest.

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes Benn was not quite the same after McClellan. I dont remember everyone jumping up and down for a Jones fight straight after though. I do remember Benn calling out Jones in 1996 though before losing, he'd promised McClellan $1,000,000 from the purse if the fight came to fruition.

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Which ratings were those? I'm a massive Benn fan, bu I'd be surprised at him being that highly rated in America.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Yep never had anything to do with the Malinga fight, which i was at by the way. The hype for Benn-Jones was straight after the MCclellan fight, it was then or never.
Technically Benn was never a Don King fighter either, King had 3 fight options which ran out with the McClellan fight. Benn wouldn't sign another 3 fight deal until he returned to the ring to fight Nardiello.

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm sure I heard Toney get in a comment like 'all your fighters are bums...and your women too' but the second part was difficult to make it due to Wossy talkin over him.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes Benn was not quite the same after McClellan. I dont remember everyone jumping up and down for a Jones fight straight after though. I do remember Benn calling out Jones in 1996 though before losing, he'd promised McClellan $1,000,000 from the purse if the fight came to fruition.
Where did you hear this from?

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I guess pound for pound lists do vary the world round, but thats how I remember it at the time. Benn got alot of kudos for beating McClellan.

I'll look it up.....

General Zod
03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm sure I heard Toney get in a comment like 'all your fighters are bums...and your women too' but the second part was difficult to make it due to Wossy talkin over him.
Im quoting from a book calledThe Dark Trade, the author spends a lot of time with Toney from 94-96

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
actually, there's some great footage I'm finding of Nigel on youtube. He always seemed like a really good, genuine bloke.

I remember one classic comment from him a few years back as a guest covering a BBC fight...I think it was an Audley Harrison fight.

John Inverdale asked him for his comments on the fight and Nigel kinda looked disinterested and said 'I preferred it when it was on ITV'...I was in stitches.

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Hellboy, its on a video called 'Lords of the Ring', where Nigel said he'd pledge that to McClellan. It was before he had lost to Malinga.

fight_professor
03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Both were excellent fighters, and good champions. Their duels are legendary.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Both were excellent fighters, and good champions. Their duels are legendary.

I liked their first fight, the second one was so so. Eubank was throwing one punch then holding

1SILVA
03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Both these guys held world titles in the middle weights for a considerable amount of time. Benn held the WBO Middleweight Title in 1990 and the WBC Super Middleweight Title from 1992 to 1996.

Eubank beat Benn for the World Middleweight Title in 1990 and held it until 91 when he dropped it to move up a weight in 91. He won the WBO Super Middleweight Title in 91 or 92 I think...then had a WBC/WBO Unification rematch with Benn in 93 which was another great fight, fought to a draw.

Eubank held his title until 95 when he lost it to Steve Collins (who also beat Benn, a year later).

Eubank and Benn had a big rivalry that was mainly built up by the media because they were both around their peak at the same time, at the same weight and were distinctly different characters. Benn made no secret of his dislike for Eubank's personality and as a result of these factors, their rivalry was really promoted in the media and captured the imagination of the British public...in fact, I think I heard their second fight in 93 was watched by a billion people throughout the world.

Eubank was retired by Joe Calzaghe in 1997, to whom he lost the title. But Calzaghe has said this was the toughest fight of his career.

However, neither of these guys ever went to America to fight....where big name opponents like Roy Jones, James Toney and Bernard Hopkins awaited.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I never really knew much about the reasons as to why neither of these went to America. I would have thought that after their fight in 1990 Eubank would have strongly considered going over there...and Benn too. They could have made a lot of money.

As a result I wonder how well known Benn and Eubank are in the States and whether or not they are given credit for being two of the best middleweight and supermiddleweight fighters from about 1989-1997.

I'd like to know more about how well known they were in America and what factors prevented them from ever competing over there. I think either men could have given the top American middleweights of the time a good run for their money.

Either way, their rivalry was great for British boxing.

Eubank didn't retire in 97; he fought two epic wars with Carl Thompson in 1998.

Clegg
03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Benn-Nunn was a fight that almost happened on more than one occassion. I am going from memory here, so may be slightly off, but IIRC:

It was intended that Nunn was going to fight the winner of Benn-Eubank II. He was in attendance with Don King. There was no winner of course, but for his next fight Nunn fought on the same bill as Benn. I think this was done to build to a future fight between them, but Nunn ended up losing so it never happened.

From what I recall, Benn stated in his autobiography that he was offered a fight with Nunn or McClellan, and he chose McClellan because it offered more money.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Benn-Nunn was a fight that almost happened on more than one occassion. I am going from memory here, so may be slightly off, but IIRC:

It was intended that Nunn was going to fight the winner of Benn-Eubank II. He was in attendance with Don King. There was no winner of course, but for his next fight Nunn fought on the same bill as Benn. I think this was done to build to a future fight between them, but Nunn ended up losing so it never happened.

From what I recall, Benn stated in his autobiography that he was offered a fight with Nunn or McClellan, and he chose McClellan because it offered more money.

Yeah I read this as well, I havent seen much of Nunn at SMW, only the Scully fight and it looked to me like he "lost" his legs by then. It would of been a good fight, I think maybe Nunn on points.

Benn also says in his autobiography that Nunn wanted to fight him after the Watson fight.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I thought Eubank should of got the nod in their first fight. He gained a lot of respect from me as well for fighting at that weight.

stefjonno1
03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I thought Eubank should of got the nod in their first fight. He gained a lot of respect from me as well for fighting at that weight.

Yeah i think most people who never really liked him, had a lot of respect for him after those two fights, i know i did. It was also a pretty dumb move, as he could easily have made plenty more cash fighting at light heavy. He had plenty left in the tank at that point. In saying that like you say he could have easliy got the nod in the first fight.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah i think most people who never really liked him, had a lot of respect for him after those two fights, i know i did. It was also a pretty dumb move, as he could easily have made plenty more cash fighting at light heavy. He had plenty left in the tank at that point.
I liked him after he beat Benn and followed him until the second Watson fight, lost interest after that but I did get to catch his fights with Calzaghe, Collins and Thompson.

In saying that like you say he could have easliy got the nod in the first fight.
Yeah I thought he did enough to win a close decision

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 06:21 PM

Bloody ell, you're right. Of course he did. He moved up in weight for those, didn't he? Those were wars. Eubank was one tough cookie. You wouldn't think it from his boxing style, listening to him and seeing how sensitive he was. But thinking back he really was a tough son of a ***** who was in a lot of great fights. Watson, two with Benn, two with Collins, two with Thompson.

Fascinating figure. As is Benn.

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I remember being really hyped up by Sky Sports. It's interesting to speculate how his career would have gone if not for the Watson tragedy. He definitely lost some of his killer instinct but could still take a punch and was technically good.

There's an argument to say he could have been even better if not for the Watson tragedy.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
I remember being really hyped up by Sky Sports. It's interesting to speculate how his career would have gone if not for the Watson tragedy. He definitely lost some of his killer instinct but could still take a punch and was technically good.

There's an argument to say he could have been even better if not for the Watson tragedy.
Round 11 of the first Collins fight comes to mind, after he kos him.

I think he also got soft due to Sky deal as well, where he was fighting a lot of c list fighters

Clegg
03-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Round 11 of the first Collins fight comes to mind, after he kos him.

I think he also got soft due to Sky deal as well, where he was fighting a lot of c list fighters

Yeah, the way Eubank fought after knocking down Collins was sad to see, you could tell that he just didn't have that killer instinct anymore.

General Zod
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah, the way Eubank fought after knocking down Collins was sad to see, you could tell that he just didn't have that killer instinct anymore.
He admitted himself that there were "issues", which stopped him from finishing Collins off. He gets more respect for it, he would rather lose than run the risk of hurting another fighter badly again.

Financially it was a bad move, he wanted another Benn fight and even a Jones fight.

Clegg
03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
He admitted himself that there were "issues", which stopped him from finishing Collins off. He gets more respect for it, he would rather lose than run the risk of hurting another fighter badly again.

Financially it was a bad move, he wanted another Benn fight and even a Jones fight.

Yeah.

I remember as well there were a lot of issues before the fight with talk of Collins being hypnotised. At the time it was hard to tell if Eubank was seriously bothered by it or just trying to play Collins at his own game, but even before they stepped into the ring I remember Eubank saying in interviews that he was worried about Collins being hypnotised to take more punishment than his body could naturally withstand.

I think that's part of why he held off after the KD.

Dynamite Kid
03-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Most people subscribe to the Eubank was never the same post Watson opinion and whilst there is a degree of truth to that i dont put it down to him losing his "killer instinct", i put it down to Watson laying out the blue print of how to beat Eubank, dont let him fight at his own pace and make him work, both Calzaghe and Collins applied this against Eubank, we have to remember that Eubank looked a million dollars Wharton before his fights with Collins.

This is coming from a guy who only got into Boxing because of Eubank and who was a big fan of his back in the day when he was on terrestrial tv.

stefjonno1
03-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Eubank thinking collins was hypnotised, definetly spooked him.

mickey malone
03-27-2010, 02:32 AM
He did it in one of the Thompson fights too.. I think it may have been the 2nd fight, in which he decked Thompson who rose on unsteady feet as Eubank just stood there doing his Pea**** pose.. This gave more than enough time for Thompson's head to clear, and he went on to win..

Quote; StefJonno1 - Yeah i think most people who never really liked him, had a lot of respect for him after those two fights, i know i did. It was also a pretty dumb move, as he could easily have made plenty more cash fighting at light heavy. He had plenty left in the tank at that point. In saying that like you say he could have easliy got the nod in the first fight.

The eighth wonder of the world!... I wonder why he did that?

Quote; Dynamite Kid - Most people subscribe to the Eubank was never the same post Watson opinion and whilst there is a degree of truth to that i dont put it down to him losing his "killer instinct", i put it down to Watson laying out the blue print of how to beat Eubank, dont let him fight at his own pace and make him work, both Calzaghe and Collins applied this against Eubank, we have to remember that Eubank looked a million dollars Wharton before his fights with Collins.

I agree with this.. Spot on!

Shazam!
03-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Would these fights involving Watson, Eubank, Benn, Collins, Thompson etc have been shown in the U.S.? I'm guessing he Benn/McClellan fight would have.