View Full Version : Who Is The Most Elusive Fighter Of All Time?

Southpaw16BF
03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Who in your opinion is the most elusive fighter of all time?

geribeetus
03-26-2010, 02:09 PM
either whitaker or pep. maybe hopkins. i can't imagine how frustrating it is to get slapped around and hustled by a middle aged man. hopkins' roughhousing might bar him from being called "elusive" though.

Shazam!
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Floyd's definitely up there.

Inside and outside the ring.

EzzardFan
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Willie Pep or Harry Greb

THE REED™
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Prime Pernell was ridiculous.

Jim Jeffries
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Hard to pick just one. For me, in no particular order

Pernell Whitaker
Willie Pep
Wilfredo Benitez
Nicolino Locche

Honorable mention
Bernard Hopkins
Roy Jones Jr
Floyd Mayweather Jr
James Toney
Mid 60's Ali

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Even though they're not all time greats pre 1996 Naseem Hamed was difficult to catch as was Herol Graham.

Peak Roy Jones seemed to avoid head shots very well too.

Its hard to pick a best ever, but Locche did it with some style, made it look almost relaxing!

Snopkins
03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Whitaker wasn't anymore elusive than a prime Julio Cesar Chavez.

sonnyboyx2
03-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Even though they're not all time greats pre 1996 Naseem Hamed was difficult to catch as was Herol Graham.

Peak Roy Jones seemed to avoid head shots very well too.

Its hard to pick a best ever, but Locche did it with some style, made it look almost relaxing!

yes i agree Sugarj.. 3 very elusive fighters, here is a couple more.
Michael Spinks
Chris Byrd
Jimmy Young
Len Harvey

Sugarj
03-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Yep Sonnyboy, bless Chris Byrd.......he was doing so well in the fight with Ibeabuchi before losing. He was great at fighting off the ropes.....very hard to hit.

People forget what a good technician Spinks was at his best, nothing like his older brother!!

I'll have to dig out some Len Harvey, and I chuckled when I read Jimmy Young.....I know he isn't one of your favorites but hell he was a good fighter in a good era.

Southpaw16BF
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM

You being serious?

CarlosG815
03-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Mayweather
Ali
Jones
Hamed

Bright-Eyes
03-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Sweet Pea has to be here.Roy Jones at his peak was something else too.

geribeetus
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM

prime jcc could move inside as well as anyone, and you could say he was as elusive for an inside fighter as whitaker was for an outfighter. but you're gonna get hit more coming forward than moving back, just no way to avoid it.

Calilloyd
03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
prime jcc could move inside as well as anyone, and you could say he was as elusive for an inside fighter as whitaker was for an outfighter. but you're gonna get hit more coming forward than moving back, just no way to avoid it.

This is so ridiculous that I don't know where to start. Whitaker fought both inside and out. He moved foward and backwards. And Chavez was much easier to hit than Whitaker was and he was hit much more. I don't know how you can even make these statements with a straight face.

BigStereotype
03-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Pernell Whitaker
Muhammad Ali (especially his Cassius Clay days)
Floyd Mayweather

them_apples
03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Roy Jones Jr..
prime Ali as well (for a Hw)

Whitaker

Benitez

and Duran

geribeetus
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
This is so ridiculous that I don't know where to start. Whitaker fought both inside and out. He moved foward and backwards. And Chavez was much easier to hit than Whitaker was and he was hit much more. I don't know how you can even make these statements with a straight face.

when did i say whitaker ONLY moved backwards? it doesn't changed the fact that he spent most of his better fights on the backfoot genius.

i CLEARLY said chavez got hit more, but for someone almost always moving forward and cutting off the ring, he was hit much less than a lot of people who did the same thing.

learn how to read please

bojangles1987
03-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Can't say about Pep, who probably has a case, but Whitaker and Roy Jones are the two most elusive I've ever seen. Unbelievable reflexes and speed.

boxingbuff
03-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Prime Muhammad Ali was almost impossible to hit with a clean punch.

RJJ

Sweet Pea

mhager91490
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Chavez in his prime took way too many punches to be considered elusive, especially in comparision to Whitaker. I'll admit that Chavez is somewhat underrated defensively, he had the ability to slip and pick off punches well but he still got hit flush quite a bit too. Look at his fight with Rosario, dominating the fight but still getting hit in all of the exchanges.

Whitaker I find somewhat overrated in terms of defensive ability but he was still extremely hard to hit clean. In his prime he used saavy and constantly changed angles to avoid getting hit but he would still be hit by top tier fighters, post prime his defense improved more because he avoided confrontation more.

Uturn
03-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Obvoisly Whitaker.

Pacquiao could be a good arguement as elusive, as of his last fights he's hardly been caught with anything flush..

mickey malone
03-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Packy McFarland

razzledaz 38
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
it,s an easy one for me...has to be a peak muhammad ali....having the ability to draw his head back in a straight line and stop within less than an inch of the punch.

Calilloyd
03-28-2010, 10:46 PM
when did i say whitaker ONLY moved backwards? it doesn't changed the fact that he spent most of his better fights on the backfoot genius.
i CLEARLY said chavez got hit more, but for someone almost always moving forward and cutting off the ring, he was hit much less than a lot of people who did the same thing.

learn how to read please

No he didn't. You obviously don't know Whitaker's career and you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. Whitaker was a flat footed fighter who used angles and could stand right in front of his opponent while making them miss. He was not a runner as you're implying. And no you did not say Chavez got hit more. You said his inside defense was as good as Whitakers outside defense. Learn to remember what you posted so you won't have to make things up, please.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5tXsaTX4RA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5tXsaTX4RA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Calilloyd
03-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Chavez in his prime took way too many punches to be considered elusive, especially in comparision to Whitaker. I'll admit that Chavez is somewhat underrated defensively, he had the ability to slip and pick off punches well but he still got hit flush quite a bit too. Look at his fight with Rosario, dominating the fight but still getting hit in all of the exchanges.

Whitaker I find somewhat overrated in terms of defensive ability but he was still extremely hard to hit clean. In his prime he used saavy and constantly changed angles to avoid getting hit but he would still be hit by top tier fighters, post prime his defense improved more because he avoided confrontation more.

I sure would like to know what top fighters were hitting Whitaker with any consistency in his prime. Whitaker dominated fighters in his prime. And post prime he was not better defensively at 147.

F l i c k e r
03-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Pernell Whitaker.... can't catch a crack-head.

But Pep, from what I hear and have seen(what little) he was pretty elusive too but I still go with Whitaker. Never seen things like what he did before.

NChristo
03-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Sweet Pea or Nicolino Locche

BigStereotype
03-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Obvoisly Whitaker.

Pacquiao could be a good arguement as elusive, as of his last fights he's hardly been caught with anything flush..

What? Pac will take a shot right on the chin just to see if he can. Remember how Lampley had such a chubby for his chin at the end of the Cotto fight? That's because he was letting the power punching Cotto bomb him with punches to no effect. Pac's great, but he's not slippery.

right_hand_lead
03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Dancing Master aka The GOAT.

peteraugusts
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
The most elusive Fighter is Lyoto Machida. Because of his fighting style, it’s a perception that has formed in people’s minds.