View Full Version : Was Tyson Shot or in his Prime vs Lewis

sonnyboyx2
03-23-2010, 04:48 AM
11yrs after Buster Douglas beat him, 6yrs after Holyfield beat him, Throw in several prison sentences as well as Drug-Taking.. What condition was Mike Tyson in when he fought Lennox Lewis..

Sugarj
03-23-2010, 08:37 AM
He wasn't quite shot, but well past prime. Perhaps 60 % of what he once was. He did win the first round!!

Prime Tyson would have creamed that version of Lennox.

Uturn
03-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Well passed it.. Mike by then was just picking up his pay cheques, boxing wasn't in his heart anymore. Prime Mike would open up a can of whoop ass on Lennox and knocked him out.

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 11:47 AM
lol I'd like to know who voted he was in his prime.

That was the saddest part about him at that point. He still had draw power and people were willing to put him into the ring with anybody for their own gain knowing he had no chance.

Tyson was a bum and went on to lose to Danny Williams and Kevin McBride - Bums!

BattlingNelson
03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Tyson was shot, untrained and was only looking for a paycheck.

Make the votes public next time sonny. That makes for bigger lols.

mickey malone
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
He was certainly way past his best, but I wouldn't say he was totally shot at that stage.. He knew he had to stay in reasonable shape in order to pay off his massive debts and maintain a top 10 operators license.. He also had it in for Lewis, and was coming off a series of KO wins over some half a dozen or so, seasoned campaigners, and I believe he went on to KO Clifford Etienne after losing to Lewis, so i'd say he was still a good fighter when he met Lewis.. There was plenty of fight in him, but his skills had eroded considerably, and it was only when he realized he wasn't gonna get the title back, that he completely lost heart and became a shot fighter.. The version who fought Kevin McBride would have been paralized by Lewis in the opening minute, but i have to agree with SugarJ, that a 1988 Mike would have taken care of a 2002 Lewis..

bolopunchez
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Without a doubt, he was shot and fought for the money.

I know he won the first round, in most people's opinions, but that was because he was looking for a first round knockout. After that, it was over. He would make a few attempts at getting a one-punch knockout, but Lewis dominated the rest of the fight.

A prime Tyson wouldn't have fought like that and neither would the version that fought Holyfield.

Flab
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
lol I'd like to know who voted he was in his prime.

That was the saddest part about him at that point. He still had draw power and people were willing to put him into the ring with anybody for their own gain knowing he had no chance.

Tyson was a bum and went on to lose to Danny Williams and Kevin McBride - Bums!

You're going to drown in an ocean of red k for this. CUNT!

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
You're going to drown in an ocean of red k for this. CUNT!

:haha: haha you're a dumbass. Like I give a **** about rep points. If I wanted to have rep power like you I'd go on NSB with a bunch of Pacquiao in my sig and hug his nuts, but it's not important to me so you can kiss my :moon:

So Danny Williams KO'd a prime Tyson? haha get the **** out of here and smoke another one.:439:

Flab
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
:haha: haha you're a dumbass. Like I give a **** about rep points. If I wanted to have rep power like you I'd go on NSB with a bunch of Pacquiao in my sig and hug his nuts, but it's not important to me so you can kiss my :moon:

So Danny Williams KO'd a prime Tyson? haha get the **** out of here and smoke another one.:439:

Your day of reckoning is fast approaching!

Jim Jeffries
03-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Danny Williams was not a bum. Calling him that simply makes yourself look bad.

Anyhow, Tyson might not have been completely shot, but surely the votes for prime are in jest.

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Your day of reckoning is fast approaching!

You're the most pissed off Brit fan I've ever seen. It's ok man. Danny Williams is a well known bum as are most boxers out of Britain. You should just stick to worshiping Lennox Lewis because as lame as he was he's the best you got.

Get over it. :twak:

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Danny Williams was not a bum. Calling him that simply makes yourself look bad.

Anyhow, Tyson might not have been completely shot, but surely the votes for prime are in jest.

Maybe not a bum, but at best slightly better than a journeyman.

Jim Jeffries
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Maybe not a bum, but at best slightly better than a journeyman.

Journeyman are not bums. They put their lives on the line for little pay to entertain those of us that love the sport.

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Journeyman are not bums. They put their lives on the line for little pay to entertain those of us that love the sport.

That's why I said "Not a bum, but a journeyman."

That's why I differentiated him from a bum.

Shazam!
03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Danny Williams is a well known bum as are most boxers out of Britain.

Change your mind quite a lot, don't ya?

sonnyboyx2
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
You're the most pissed off Brit fan I've ever seen. It's ok man. Danny Williams is a well known bum as are most boxers out of Britain. You should just stick to worshiping Lennox Lewis because as lame as he was he's the best you got.

Get over it. :twak:

i agree with you... most Brit boxers are bums and i am an Englishman...i stopped having much interest in british fighters around 10yrs ago when Eubank & Benn called it a day, i could never be a fan of Ricky Hatton or David Haye, i knew Hatton was a knock out waiting to happen just like Haye is.. i won a large amount of money betting both Mayweather & Pacquiao to KO Hatton and i am confident i will have a nice payday betting against Haye... Britain has produced some great boxers pre 1990 yet very few was totally dominant... most of the Lennox Lewis nuthuggers on here have never see a `live boxing show in their lives, i happen to have seen Lewis fight`live on several occasions where as the nuthuggers have seen him on cold-flat screen only, i knew Lewis was `nothing special`back in 93 the night he fought Frank Bruno in Cardiff where he was a very fortunate winner, i bet McCall at odds of 5/2 the following year to beat him, from that night onwards to the end of his career Lewis was always massive odds-on to beat everyone of his opponents due to him fighting exposed mediocre or over the hill fighters.

fight_professor
03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Well passed it.. Mike by then was just picking up his pay cheques, boxing wasn't in his heart anymore. Prime Mike would open up a can of whoop ass on Lennox and knocked him out.

Aye. Mike was finished, a shell. No doubt in my mind that even Tyson c. 96 would have clowned Lewis. :439:

Shazam!
03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Aye. Mike was finished, a shell. No doubt in my mind that even Tyson c. 96 would have clowned Lewis. :439:

Heheh. Tyson lost twice to HOLYFIELD in 1996 man!

Tyson paid 4million dollars to DUCK Lewis!

Then Lewis absolutely DOMINATES Holyfield!

Lewis 350 punched landed.

Holyfield 120.

These are all facts man.

Lewis 99 vs Tyson 85-88 = 50/50 chance in first fight. Any rematch Lewis takes it 9 times out of 10. It would all be about whether or not Tyson could catch Lewis early and flush. If Lewis were prepared, which he obviously would be, he would be as close to unbeatable as you can get. Indeed, he only ever lost twice...when he was underprepared...and he proved this by dominating in revenge.

Earl Hickey
03-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Did lennox lewis steal your girlfriend Sonny?

sonnyboyx2
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Did lennox lewis steal your girlfriend Sonny?

no... Lewis dont like women

fight_professor
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Heheh. Tyson lost twice to HOLYFIELD in 1996 man!

Tyson paid 4million dollars to DUCK Lewis!

Then Lewis absolutely DOMINATES Holyfield!

Lewis 350 punched landed.

Holyfield 120.

These are all facts man.

Lewis 99 vs Tyson 85-88 = 50/50 chance in first fight. Any rematch Lewis takes it 9 times out of 10. It would all be about whether or not Tyson could catch Lewis early and flush. If Lewis were prepared, which he obviously would be, he would be as close to unbeatable as you can get. Indeed, he only ever lost twice...when he was underprepared...and he proved this by dominating in revenge.

A beat B and B beat C, so A beats C means NOTHING in boxing. Evander had the gifts to beat Tyson [heart, chin], Lennox is a different animal. A great HW, no doubt, but his jaw was fragile and Tyson was still good enough immediately after recapturing his crown to spark him.

If you gift credence to a>b>c> arguments, you know nothing about boxing and should accept it.

lyrical
03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
LOL at this thread, Tysons prime was mid to late 80s, he fought Lewis in 2002 so he was about 12/13 years past his prime

My GOODNESS

Clyde Barrow
03-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Obviously shot and looking for the money. He's admitted as much.

check hook
03-24-2010, 05:51 AM
11yrs after Buster Douglas beat him, 6yrs after Holyfield beat him, Throw in several prison sentences as well as Drug-Taking.. What condition was Mike Tyson in when he fought Lennox Lewis..

is this what passes for boxing history in this section of BS......he was a full decade out of his prime when he fought Lewis......shot to pices is an adequate description.

Telepath
03-24-2010, 05:53 AM
I'll humor you Sonny. Of course he was shot. Isn't this common knowledge?

Shazam!
03-24-2010, 06:32 AM
A beat B and B beat C, so A beats C means NOTHING in boxing. Evander had the gifts to beat Tyson [heart, chin], Lennox is a different animal. A great HW, no doubt, but his jaw was fragile and Tyson was still good enough immediately after recapturing his crown to spark him.

If you gift credence to a>b>c> arguments, you know nothing about boxing and should accept it.

While styles obviously make fights, there is certain something to be learned from Lewis's dominance of Holyfield when considering Tyson. Tyson is actually more in the mould of Holyfield than a lot of other heavyweights that Lewis fought. While I'm not stating that Holy and Tyson are exact copies of one another, there are a lot of similarities in terms of size (Holyfield is a coupla inches taller) and fighting style. They both need to get inside a big man like Lewis, relying less on jabs and throwing plenty of hooks, hoping for a KO. They both would have followed a similar gameplan to defeat Lewis. Obviously, neither of them succeeded.

So if 'b' and 'c' have a lot of similarities and 'a' completely dominates 'b' then yes, it can be argued that 'a' would hold SIMILAR advantages over 'c' in a potential matchup. What do you think?

sonnyboyx2
03-24-2010, 07:56 AM
While styles obviously make fights, there is certain something to be learned from Lewis's dominance of Holyfield when considering Tyson. Tyson is actually more in the mould of Holyfield than a lot of other heavyweights that Lewis fought. While I'm not stating that Holy and Tyson are exact copies of one another, there are a lot of similarities in terms of size (Holyfield is a coupla inches taller) and fighting style. They both need to get inside a big man like Lewis, relying less on jabs and throwing plenty of hooks, hoping for a KO. They both would have followed a similar gameplan to defeat Lewis. Obviously, neither of them succeeded.

So if 'b' and 'c' have a lot of similarities and 'a' completely dominates 'b' then yes, it can be argued that 'a' would hold SIMILAR advantages over 'c' in a potential matchup. What do you think?

What do you think? .. you ask, i think your talking bull****e

sonnyboyx2
03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
I'll humor you Sonny. Of course he was shot. Isn't this common knowledge?

Dont humor me.. it is a simple enough question, yet i notice that 2 have voted Tyson was in his prime which i find bazaar

General Zod
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I hate Lennox Lewis, lol

DeepSleep
05-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Tyson was shot, I don't think you can make any sort of argument otherwise. He didn't resemble the Tyson that terrorized the division in the late 80's at all.

Joeyzagz
05-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Lennox Lewis was just "poleaxed" by Rahman a year before, and this was 8 years after the KO by Mccall. How come when Riddick Bowe and Tyson get beaten badly, they are past it, but Lennox is held to this absurd high standard?

Here is what we know:

They both were KO'd the same number of times going in(2).

In addition to that, Lennox had been through more brutal wars(Bruno,Mercer,Briggs) than Tyson had at that point(Holyfield)

Lennox also was a year OLDER than Tyson.

Despite all this...Tyson gets treated like a handicap, and Lennox is accused of assaulting him...LOL I love it!

BritishBoxing92
05-15-2010, 06:46 PM

course he was shot....look at this then Mike was in his prime when he lost to Douglas (his biggest downfall to that is he couldve won if he trained right and sticked with his old trainer) even against holyfield I & II he was in his prime but also lost but since he went to prison mentally something was up with him....after holyfield II he then wasnt himself as much and then became Shot so yeah he was shot against lennox lewis

LAkers85
05-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I cant believe 3 people voted he was in his prime! he was well past his prime. Tyson would of killed Lewis in his prime. hell, Lewis took to long to get an out of shape, no training, just fought for a paycheck Tyson out of there. just imagine if Tyson was in his prime? LIGHTS OUT!

HaglerSteelChin
05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I remember before the fight telling a co-worker that Tyson would lose and he was like No-No-No and the perception by many was that Tyson still had game left. The word shot is a bit extreme, i think he was close to being shot but he still had enough skill to beat some contenders. So i agree with Malone on that point, Tyson was in stage between pass prime and almost shot.

Tyson was simply looking for one good punch after RD 1 and even Emmanuel Steward after RD 4 or 5 used profanity at LEWIS saying this "MF is done now finish him."

Lewis after the fight pretty much summed up the careers of both Tyson and himself. He said "Tyson was a young phenom at couldn't be stopped at 19 and in his early 20's but i am like fine wine and get better with age." I think we will all agree that Tyson was at his peak 1985-1991(minus that one loss to douglas).

Rickety Cricket
05-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I say he was in between both.