View Full Version : Most famous boxer ever?

CarlosG815
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Who is the most famous of all time? There are a few boxers that everybody seems to know, and it seems like I hear Tyson's name everyday. Whether it be an old episode of fresh prince, a song, reference to him in a movie, or whatever.

Obviously he's my pick, what do you guys think, out of the 5 listed? If other, select that and explain.

fight_professor
03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Ever? Ali, easily.

BigStereotype
03-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I know people who don't know Muhammad Ali. Few and far between, yes, but they're out there. Everyone knows Tyson, even if it's as "that guy who bit that other guy's ear off." I think it's gotta be Iron Mike with Ali as a very close second.

T3dBundy
03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
ali wins.
if he had not changed his name, i think tyson would win easily.

hayZ
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Muhammad Ali, by miles. That guy was and probably is the most famous guy in the world, definetely was in his boxing heyday.

Chex31
03-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Muhammad Ali, The Greatest.

In 2nd is "Iron" Mike Tyson.

Verstyle
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Ali easily, with Tyson, De La Hoya, Manny, and Louis coming in that order.

[ DUBBZZ ]
03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Who is the most famous of all time? There are a few boxers that everybody seems to know, and it seems like I hear Tyson's name everyday. Whether it be an old episode of fresh prince, a song, reference to him in a movie, or whatever.

Obviously he's my pick, what do you guys think, out of the 5 listed? If other, select that and explain.
Wasn't Riddick Bowe on Fresh Prince. Was Mike on there too?

The Beatles
03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
lol.....this is not even debatable.......Muhammad Ali is not only the most famous boxer but probably in the Top 3 most famous Athletes Ever.........also, Dempsey was huge in his day

*RAZOR RUIZ*
03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
iron mike. ali CLOSE second.

$Natedatpkid$
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
EASILY Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali. Tie for #1 in my opinion because I think if you ask anybody in the world they'll know MIke Tyson for being this mean nasty devastating Heavyweight puncher and/or for his craziness outside the ring. And when you mention boxing Muhammad Ali is probably the most obvious and common name to come out of ANYBODIES mouth.

1SILVA
03-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Muhammad Ali is the most famous athlete in the history of the world. If you go to a village in Africa, they will know Ali and Michael jackson. Everyone else on your list would not even be recognized. Whoever voted Tyson has got to be kidding me. Maybe the most famous rapist of all time.

JAB5239
03-23-2010, 12:19 AM
There is no other choice but Ali. Everyone else is a distant second.

T3dBundy
03-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Muhammad Ali is the most famous athlete in the history of the world. If you go to a village in Africa, they will know Ali and Michael jackson. Everyone else on your list would not even be recognized. Whoever voted Tyson has got to be kidding me. Maybe the most famous rapist of all time.

tyson fan here, but this line was too funny.

i have to say a rapist would go more than just 3 years in the jail, they didnt had a 100% proof that he did it.

but omg... im still laughing :D:D:D:D

Heeb
03-23-2010, 12:52 AM
I'd say Tyson over Ali because everybody knows who Ali is, but they don't know anything else. People know Tyson was an agressive fighter, they know he bit Evander Holyfield (even if they don't know who Evander Holyfield is), and everybody knows what he looks like.

them_apples
03-23-2010, 01:39 AM
lol.....this is not even debatable.......Muhammad Ali is not only the most famous boxer but probably in the Top 3 most famous Athletes Ever.........also, Dempsey was huge in his day

Ali probably is the most famous athlete ever.

Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan also come to mind.

The Hate Giver
03-23-2010, 02:00 AM
the better thread question would have been top 10 p4p most famous boxers of all time.

HitmanHattonAY
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Ever? Ali, easily.

Muhammad Ali, by miles. That guy was and probably is the most famous guy in the world, definetely was in his boxing heyday.

Ali easily, with Tyson, De La Hoya, Manny, and Louis coming in that order.

iron mike. ali CLOSE second.

Muhammad Ali easy

boxingbuff
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I know people who don't know Muhammad Ali. Far and in between, yes, but they're out there. Everyone knows Tyson, even if it's as "that guy who bit that other guy's ear off." I think it's gotta be Iron Mike with Ali as a close second.

If Muhammad Ali was able to talk he would easily be more famous than Tyson.

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM

I have to agree with this.

I was just thinking about it the other day.

He's in numerous songs, in reference in movies and tv sitcoms, etc.

I would say it's Tyson but wouldn't argue that it's a tie with Ali. They're both incredibly famous.

boxingbuff
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Most famous ATHLETES ever......

Muhammad Ali/Babe Ruth

Micheal Jordan

bolopunchez
03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna go with Tyson.

Before I got into boxing, I knew who Tyson was. Didn't know Ali.

fight_professor
03-23-2010, 05:53 PM

Muhammad Ali/Babe Ruth

Micheal Jordan

I'm sorry but 99% of people outside of the US havent heard of Babe Ruth. I have, but I am not typical. No one in Europe knows who he is. No one in Asia [largely] or Africa knows who he is.

JAB5239
03-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Muhammad Ali doesn't need to talk and he's by far more famous than Tyson. Kings, queens, presidents and dictators have all sought his counsel the world over. That says a lot more about a man than "I could sell out Madison Square Garden jerking off".

JAB5239
03-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Muhammad Ali/Babe Ruth

Micheal Jordan

How about Ali and than Pele.

1SILVA
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
How about Ali and than Pele.

I agree. Pele would be 2nd to Ali.

bklynboy
03-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Most famous in their time would be either Jack Dempsey or Muhammad Ali (in the United States). For the entire world it would have to be Ali. Jack Dempsey was far more famous in his time than Tyson or Pacquiao or de la Hoya.

Junito-Rulez
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson are the most famous, it's very close. Then you gotta be kidding me, your average joe doesn't know who Joe Louis is. He just knows Oscar Delahoya and probably heard of Pacquiao in the sportspage. In Africa, Irak or Portugal they all know Ali and Tyson, they don't know Pacquiao, Louis and DLH.

Junito-Rulez
03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Most famous in their time would be either Jack Dempsey or Muhammad Ali (in the United States). For the entire world it would have to be Ali. Jack Dempsey was far more famous in his time than Tyson or Pacquiao or de la Hoya.

How old are you grandpa?

cmon Tyson is a mega star, he came when boxing and medias were both at their peak. 20 years later people still talk about him and know about Tyson. Look at the last comments in Tyson's vid in Youtube. This is a good example, that translates his great fame.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5v0vl6iTlC4&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5v0vl6iTlC4&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Snopkins
03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
George foreman

bklynboy
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
How old are you grandpa?

cmon Tyson is a mega star, he came when boxing and medias were both at their peak. 20 years later people still talk about him and know about Tyson. Look at the last comments in Tyson's vid in Youtube. This is a good example, that translates his great fame.

Notice I said "in their time." We have no idea if Tyson will be remembered 80 years from now. Probably not, nor will de la Hoya. As far as Pacquiao maybe if he wins a few more big fights.

bklynboy
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
How old are you grandpa?

My daughter is in Kindergarten so I have a few years until I become a grandpa.

Southpaw Stinger
03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
It's obviously Ali. Not even up for debate.

When Ali was at his media peak in the 70's he had one of the most recognisable faces in the world. Even those who didn't like boxing or were in remote undeveloped parts of the world knew about him. Tyson might spring to people's minds as his peak was more recent.
But peak vs peak then it's Ali >>>>>> Tyson by a large margin.

PR Boxer
03-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd say George Foreman because everyone has a Foreman grill at their house j/k. Ali is probably the most famous.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson are the most famous, it's very close. Then you gotta be kidding me, your average joe doesn't know who Joe Louis is. He just knows Oscar Delahoya and probably heard of Pacquiao in the sportspage. In Africa, Irak or Portugal they all know Ali and Tyson, they don't know Pacquiao, Louis and DLH.

In his day EVERYBODY knew who Louis was. It is said that for the second Schmeling fight over 60 million people were listening to the radio broadcast world wide. Thats a staggering number.

Junito-Rulez
03-24-2010, 10:07 AM
In his day EVERYBODY knew who Louis was. It is said that for the second Schmeling fight over 60 million people were listening to the radio broadcast world wide. Thats a staggering number.

Notice I said "in their time." We have no idea if Tyson will be remembered 80 years from now. Probably not, nor will de la Hoya. As far as Pacquiao maybe if he wins a few more big fights.

If you ask in their time it's different, i can't compare. It's like asing who was the biggest star between Lance Armstrong and Fausto Coppi. Hard to tell i wasn't there.

gatagata
03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Well my schoolmates haven't even heard of Ali before but they have of Tyson. But older people know of Ali. In his boxing days he was the most famous guy in the world.

fight_professor
03-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Not true.

No one then, or now, in South Asia knows who he is. Given that SA is 1/4 of humanity, it's a pretty big omission.

Not hugely well known in East Asia either.

Ali and Tyson are the only UNIVERSALLY known boxers.

Ray*
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Only two names deserve to be on that poll, Tyson and Ali but am sure Ali is more famous than Tyson even though Ali is a lot older now.

Uturn
03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
I think Mike will get talked about alot more as year goes by, kids growing up are more lightly to know who Tyson is that bad boy who bites peoples ears off and was knocking people out for fun. Right now Ali is more popular among the older generations as time goes by Mike will be the most famous.

Shazam!
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Having lived in Europe and Asia, Muhammad Ali would be first. A long way behind would be Tyson and a long way behind Tyson would be...well, they're so far behind it doesn't matter.

Those are the only two that have significantly crossed over into popular culture.

TOBYLEE1
03-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Ali, hands down. Once they did an international poll and he was one of the top 5 ppl known in the world. Everywhere he goes he is recognized

right2die
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
funny this is brought up. just yesterday, my land lady came by my place with her 3 year old daughter. i have a poster of ali just after the phantom punch up in my office. she saw it and lifted up her baby at it and said " look addy... thats muhammad ali. the greatest, most famous boxer ever." mind you... the lady is a mid 30's, 100lbs white woman teaching her daughter who ali is. never thought i'd see that happen. but it did. and it was cool. ALI FTW.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Not true.

No one then, or now, in South Asia knows who he is. Given that SA is 1/4 of humanity, it's a pretty big omission.

Not hugely well known in East Asia either.

Ali and Tyson are the only UNIVERSALLY known boxers.

What are basing that assumption on, because I know its not facts? Ali trumps all, but if there had been television, satellite and cable during the time Louis fought Tyson wouldn't even be in the discussion. Louis was in all likelihood the most popular athlete in the world at the outbreak of WWII. When he fought Scmeling the second time the whole world was interested, not just boxing fans. It was good vs evil. Considering he fought over 60 years ago his overall popularity is still very impressive. Had he fought in the 70's or later his popularity would only be surpassed by Ali.

South Asia. East Asia. Give me a break.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 03:49 PM
If you ask in their time it's different, i can't compare. It's like asing who was the biggest star between Lance Armstrong and Fausto Coppi. Hard to tell i wasn't there.

Today Louis isn't known like the fighters of recent era's. Historically he'll be remembered more than almost all of them. Its silly to make comparisons without taking into consideration the time and technology of the era's these fighters fought in. People around the world know who Tyson is. With all todays technological advances did anywhere near 60 million people ever tune in for any of his fights? Radio is all they had during Louis' time and the entire world was on the edge of its seat. And while Ali is the most popular and polarizing figure in boxing history, I can say with confidence that no fighter was more popular for one fight at any time in history than Joe Louis when he fought Max the 2nd time.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 03:52 PM
I think Mike will get talked about alot more as year goes by, kids growing up are more lightly to know who Tyson is that bad boy who bites peoples ears off and was knocking people out for fun. Right now Ali is more popular among the older generations as time goes by Mike will be the most famous.

Mike will never be more famous than Ali. Ali hasn't fought in almost 30 years and he's still worshiped and talked about more than Tyson. There will be other fighters to come along like Mike. There will never be another Ali.

bolopunchez
03-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Mike will never be more famous than Ali. Ali hasn't fought in almost 30 years and he's still worshiped and talked about more than Tyson. There will be other fighters to come along like Mike. There will never be another Ali.

Come'on, man. Be real.

If you went to some random people on the street and asked them to name a boxer, most of them would probably name Tyson. Even people who don't watch boxing know more about Tyson than Ali. He has more of a mystique about him.

Tyson is known for knocking out people in the first round and biting someone's ear off. What is Ali known for?

disolly
03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Ali, everyone knows him , even 25+ years after retiring, maybe everyone will know of tyson in 20 years but there is no way to know. After Ali, I would say Tyson, and then De la Hoya. Though Oscar has more ppv buys then Tyson.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Come'on, man. Be real.

If you went to some random people on the street and asked them to name a boxer, most of them would probably name Tyson. Even people who don't watch boxing know more about Tyson than Ali. He has more of a mystique about him.

Tyson is known for knocking out people in the first round and biting someone's ear off. What is Ali known for?

You're obviously very, very young and think the world revolves around everything that is common to your age group. If not that than you're very ignorant.

bolopunchez
03-24-2010, 04:10 PM
You're obviously very, very young and think the world revolves around everything that is common to your age group. If not that than you're very ignorant.

There's no need for that kind of disrespect. I didn't show that towards you, so don't show it towards me.

Go to YouTube, for example, and see which one of them has more video views. You probably already know the answer.

Among my friends and family, they all know who Tyson is more than they know Ali. They even think Tyson would knock out Ali and they're not boxing fans.

Ali remains one of the most popular boxers of all-time, but Tyson exceeded him.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
There's no need for that kind of disrespect. I didn't show that towards you, so don't show it towards me.

Go to YouTube, for example, and see which one of them has more video views. You probably already know the answer.

Among my friends and family, they all know who Tyson is more than they know Ali. They even think Tyson would knock out Ali and they're not boxing fans.

Ali remains one of the most popular boxers of all-time, but Tyson exceeded him.

If you took that is disrespectful you have my apology. But I would bet that I am right about you being very young. You think the world revolves around youtube and video's? Ali has sat with kings, queens, presidents and dictators. He's walked with royalty and peasants all around the world. He's known to people who've never even owned a tv. Ali simply transcends boxing.

And there is no way Tyson would beat Ali.

bolopunchez
03-24-2010, 04:21 PM
If you took that is disrespectful you have my apology.
Forgiven.

But I would bet that I am right about you being very young. You think the world revolves around youtube and video's? Ali has sat with kings, queens, presidents and dictators. He's walked with royalty and peasants all around the world. He's known to people who've never even owned a tv. Ali simply transcends boxing.
My age group has nothing to do with it, and neither do all the high ranking people Ali has sat with.

My mother and father were around during Ali's title reign, and to this day they know more about Tyson than Ali.

And there is no way Tyson would beat Ali.
I'm not saying they're right, but that shows you how much hype there is into Tyson. He's that popular and that much of a mythical figure.

Southpaw16BF
03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Muhammad Ali>Thread/

CarlosG815
03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Forgiven.

My age group has nothing to do with it, and neither do all the high ranking people Ali has sat with.

My mother and father were around during Ali's title reign, and to this day they know more about Tyson than Ali.

I'm not saying they're right, but that shows you how much hype there is into Tyson. He's that popular and that much of a mythical figure.

I think it may be a demographic thing.

Tyson is more well known where I'm at in the north than Ali. Everybody knows Mike Tyson, and while many people know Ali there are people, my age or not, that do not know of him, but you bet your ass they know Mike Tyson.

Tyson has been in numerous songs in hip hop, will smith made a song about him, he's had many video games, and recently made the cover of FN4 along with Ali, and is referenced to in many many movies, more so than Muhammad Ali.

JAB5239
03-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Forgiven.

We're going to have to agree to disagree my man. Tyson has incredible popularity. I just think you're underestimating Ali's overall popularity because you're not as familiar with him. Its all cool though. One of these days you may change your mind. I know I've changed my mind and opinions on many things related to boxing the more I learn each day. Peace.

bklynboy
03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Come'on, man. Be real.

Tyson might be the most famous fighter TODAY. I don't think so but let's not quibble about that. However the topic is the most famous boxer of ALL-TIME.

Do you really think that anyone outside of hard-core boxing fans will remember Tyson 80 years from now?

Mr. Philadel
03-25-2010, 07:48 AM

I co-sign this!!!

1SILVA
03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
I co-sign this!!!

I co-sign it as well

minasyan
03-27-2010, 08:15 PM
As a kid the names that would always come up would be Ali, Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard

It has to be first Ali and then Mike Tyson

Ali would be behind Maradona and Michael Jordan as the most popular in all sports

the_blueprint
03-27-2010, 08:29 PM
ali was the athlete of the 20th century wasnt he?

people born in the last 20 years that dont know anything about boxing would still know tyson and about75% would know ali. But overall ali is more recognized. so many rap songs have his name in it. ali wasnt just known for his boxing skills but his gift of gab, the king of trash talking, he wasnt just a boxer he was a poet lol.

pele, ali and michael jordan are probably the most known sports personality's ever. they are the greats of their sport.

as for boxing it would go ali, tyson then foreman imo

Chief2ndzOnly!
03-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Ali. Hands down.

Obama
03-27-2010, 08:37 PM
How Jack Dempsey and Sugar Ray Robinson don't make the list over ODLH, Pacroid, and Louis is baffling.

Toy Story 3
03-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Ali and Tyson tie in my opinion. People that don't even watch boxing know who they are.

Heru
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
A survey said Jesus, Mickey Mouse, and Muhammad Ali are/were the most recognizable faces in the world. That means fame beyond language barriers.

steeluv
03-27-2010, 09:18 PM
yes Ali is up there with the most famous sports ppl of all time like Micheal Jordan, Pele, Maradona

HaglerSteelChin
03-27-2010, 09:29 PM
very tought to pick one but i will say Butterbean. If you want a seroius answer Muhammad Ali hands down. I mean who else would fight Inoki in japan?

Snopkins
03-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Michael Jordan is not that famous outside of North America

How Jack Dempsey and Sugar Ray Robinson don't make the list over ODLH, Pacroid, and Louis is baffling.

I'm no fan of Pacquiao but this garbage shouldn't be tolerated in the history section.

Ray Robinson? LMAO.You really are a fanboy,aren't you dunce?

Mr. President
03-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I know people who don't know Muhammad Ali. Far and in between, yes, but they're out there. Everyone knows Tyson, even if it's as "that guy who bit that other guy's ear off." I think it's gotta be Iron Mike with Ali as a close second.

Right, because Ali retired from the sport 30 years ago where as Tyson only hung up the gloves 5 years ago making him fresh in this generations mind. If you had any common sense you would've figured this one out for yourself.

BritishBoxing92
03-28-2010, 07:10 AM

Muhammad Aliiiiiiii!!! :boxing:

CasperUK
03-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Tyson having that tattoo on his face ensures that he will be famous and recognised till the day he dies.

If he didn't, I think less people would have recognised him. Infact, many people won't know what he looks like, though they'll be familiar with the name.

edgarg
03-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Sought his counsel.... You must be joking. If it was Winston Churchill, or Ghandi, I could believe it, but Ali????

Ali's counsel sample....."If he's alive, he'll fall in five...."

Remember I'm just discussing the "Ali's counsel" joke......

edgarg
03-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Since the question is "Who is the most famous boxer OF ALL TIME, I would say either JOHN L. SULLIVAN, or/and JACK JOHNSON, since they were very famous over a hundred years ago, and we still know who they were.

it goes without saying that people throughout that period also knew who they were. Also songs, sayings, and poems were composed and spread about them.

edgarg
03-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Since the question is "Who is the most famous boxer OF ALL TIME, I would say either JOHN L. SULLIVAN, or/and JACK JOHNSON, since they were very famous over a hundred years ago, and we still know who they were.

it goes without saying that people throughout that period also knew who they were. Also songs, sayings, and poems were composed and spread about them.
The most famous ATHLETE of the first half of the 20th century was the tennis star, Suzanne Lenglen of France.

The most famous boxer was a tie between Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey.

And you can still find the song "I shook the hand that shook the hand of John L Sullivan".

Lastly, I firmly believe that, although it's a "plus" to be known in Asia and Africa because of TV or transistor radio, only the civilised parts of the world can be realistically considered.

edgarg
03-28-2010, 09:35 AM
The most famous ATHLETE of the first half of the 20th century was the tennis star, Suzanne Lenglen of France.

And you can still find the song "I shook the hand that shook the hand of John L Sullivan".

Lastly, I firmly believe that, although it's a "plus" to be known in Asia and Africa because of TV or transistor radio, only the civilised parts of the world can be realistically considered.
And PLEASE.....folks, don't accuse me of being a "racist'...........

GJC
03-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Has to be Ali I think. When you think of how famous he still is you have to bear in mind 2 things:
1) He hasn't fought for 30 years
2) He hasn't given an interview in what 20 years?

The Beatles
03-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Sought his counsel.... You must be joking. If it was Winston Churchill, or Ghandi, I could believe it, but Ali????

Ali's counsel sample....."If he's alive, he'll fall in five...."

Remember I'm just discussing the "Ali's counsel" joke......

And PLEASE.....folks, don't accuse me of being a "racist'...........

quite possibly, the most idiot and moronic, consecutive posts i have ever come across......

i don't know where to start mate....infact i wont even try....i just wish you all the best in life

GJC
03-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Surely to be recognisible in places that don't have huge access to tv and are fairly immune to marketing and hype is the biggest test of fame?

mickey malone
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Tyson having that tattoo on his face ensures that he will be famous and recognised till the day he dies.

If he didn't, I think less people would have recognised him. Infact, many people won't know what he looks like, though they'll be familiar with the name.
79 posts.... A popular thread... God!.. Give me strength!!!

1SILVA
03-28-2010, 05:15 PM
79 posts.... A popular thread... God!.. Give me strength!!!

Great answer!!!!!!

GeorgiaRED
03-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Ali because you can easily find books, documentaries, calendars, greeting cards, posters of him.

Tyson may be popular but he can't compare to Ali.

boxingbuff
03-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Has to be Ali I think. When you think of how famous he still is you have to bear in mind 2 things:
1) He hasn't fought for 30 years
2) He hasn't given an interview in what 20 years?

Bingo.....Can you imagine how much more famous Muhammad Ali would be if he could talk the last 20 years?

He would be on all the talk shows.I mean all of them.He would be on Friday night fights etc. etc.