View Full Version : Sugar Ray Robinson as a WW-could anyone have beaten him?

fight_professor
03-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I think its a given that SRR is the p4p #1 according to the overwhelming majority of experts. Much of his legend is formed by his awesome feats at Middleweight.

He was WW world champion for about 5 years though, and a totally dominant one. I ask who, if anyone, could have beaten a WW SRR?

them_apples
03-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I think Leonard and Hearns both had a shot of beating him at WW, Even Duran.

Jim Jeffries
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Too bad there isn't more tape of him at WW.

Ray Leonard probably has the best chance, not sure if Hearns' chin would've held up and I'm not convinced even Tommy's ferocious power was enough to get SRR out of there. Duran, Mosley, even Mayweather would be interesting. And just for shts and giggles, throw Trinidad in there too, though I'm certain Ray outboxes him. Forgot Whitaker, damn.

fight_professor
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
What of Manny, Floyd, SSM etc?

TheGreatA
03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm sure there are some who could beat him. Prime Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Duran of Montreal, focused Emile Griffith, Charley Burley, Luis Manuel Rodriguez, Mickey Walker, Jose Napoles are some names that I'd throw out. However I'm not sure if I'd favour any of them in a fight or a series against a prime Ray Robinson.

Eddie Futch
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Barbados Joe Walcot, Jose Napoles, Floyd Mayweather and Pernel Whitaker all have a good chance against robinson at welterweight

Sugarj
03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Vernon Forrest would be a nightmare for Ray stylistically. He was certainly a nightmare to Mosley.