View Full Version : ATG Fighters, Who Disliked Training?

Southpaw16BF
03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Name some ATG fighters, who disliked training?

NChristo
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Butterbean...
Jokes

Ali disliked his training he was known for saying:
***8220;I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit, suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''

Nicolino Locche if I'm not mistaken was known for chain smoking and not sticking to his diet for training.

I know he's not an ATG but another one I just thought I should mention is
Chris Eubank, he was kinda famous in England for hating his training.

El Chiquillo
03-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't know if he disliked it but they say Ruben Olivares was kind of lazy in his training especially in the later years of his career

Joey Giardello
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Joey giardello was not a fan of training and said he was fighting that often he didnt really need to train

Jim Jeffries
03-23-2010, 12:16 AM
James Toney comes to mind. I can see no other reason for his inconsistency, given his extraordinary talent.

Thread Stealer
03-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Wilfred Benitez
Roberto Duran

mickey malone
03-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Terribly undertrained Tim Witherspoon comes to mind..
Just before his 1986 fight with Frank Bruno, I went to watch one of his public workouts..
To say he looked stoned and didn't give a ****, would be an understatement..
In contrast, Bruno had trained emphatically & looked like a mahogany carving..
Witherspoon turned up for the fight with a rubber ring around his mid-riff and had already booked a VIP suite to celebrate victory.. He took everything Frank could throw at him, and returned the compliment by KOing Bruno with 3 big over-hand rights in the 11th.. He never made the party, as he had to spend the night in hospital..
I will always insist, that had Tim been a gym rat, he'd have been a top 5 ATG HW and the greatest fighter ever, to emerge from Philadelphia..

Wukillabeez78
03-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Ditto on James Toney. He's so talented and can do so much even when he's not in great shape it's a shame he never took it as seriously as some others. He possesses ATG skills but his less than 100% work ethic prevented him from attaining ATG status. Another fighter (definitely not an ATG) who hated training quite a bit was Riddick Bowe.

CarlosG815
03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
James Tony
Riddick Bowe
Ricardo Mayorga would smoke 2 packs/day, I can't imagine he enjoyed his training.
Naseem Hamed hated training and if IIRC had trainers walk out on him for his lack of commitment.

D-MiZe
03-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Re-read the thread title, ATG fighters.

Wukillabeez78
03-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Re-read the thread title, ATG fighters.

No one has a problem with reading. The problem is that first of all ATG status is subjective. Some feel Ali is an ATG and some feel he's terribly overrated for example.

Secondly, if you asked most athletes (not just boxers) if they like training the majority would say they don't enjoy it. It is often grueling work and it takes away time from other more enjoyable activities. Can't eat all the food you enjoy and are away from your family training quite a bit. Most would say they don't like it but recognize it's necessary to achieve their goals. The question might be a little easier if it was worded differently. Like, "Which great fighters had trouble committing fully to a training regimen".