View Full Version : Finding My Range???

EXIGE
05-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I have been told that my range is what is letting me down basically. sometimes i have a tendency to lean forward if i tihnk something is out of my range thus making me unbalanced.

my trainer seems to think that i dont extend my arm to the fullest when throwing punches and that im not making the most of my power but when some1 else watched he said i was extending my arm fully out.

newayz my question is how do u find your range .. is it just a matter of experience or is there some kinda training thing u can do to help u understand when ur punch would land and when it wouldnt.

Thanks for any suggestions.

boxer2k5
05-28-2005, 01:15 PM
heavy bag and double end bag

elveiel
05-28-2005, 01:38 PM
IMO "finding your range" is an over used term, if your coach thinks you need to find your range and you trust his judgement then why doesnt he tell you how to improve??

Tha Greatest
05-28-2005, 01:52 PM
...no comment...

**** it i'll say it

to find your range hit the double end bag, heavy bag, most important sparring..

EXIGE
05-28-2005, 09:38 PM
yea i do that so in fact as i stated in the original post all it is down to is practice. y couldnt some1 just say that instead of saying **** like "go and ask your coach". ITS A FUKIN FORUM THATS WHAT IM HERE TO ASK FOR!! I DONT ASK MY COACH BECAUSE IM NOT WITH MY COACH! FFS!

zip
05-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I think his point was that you should have asked right there when he told you.

elveiel
05-29-2005, 01:55 PM
yea i do that so in fact as i stated in the original post all it is down to is practice. y couldnt some1 just say that instead of saying **** like "go and ask your coach". ITS A FUKIN FORUM THATS WHAT IM HERE TO ASK FOR!! I DONT ASK MY COACH BECAUSE IM NOT WITH MY COACH! FFS!

You wanna calm that attitude down!!

Asking a question like how do you find you range is pretty pointless on a forum, you've gotta get in the gym and thats the best advice, something like that takes practice because its a hand-eye co-ordination problem.

EXIGE
05-29-2005, 03:14 PM
You wanna calm that attitude down!!

Asking a question like how do you find you range is pretty pointless on a forum, you've gotta get in the gym and thats the best advice, something like that takes practice because its a hand-eye co-ordination problem.
well if u think that my question was pointless asking in a training forum then tell me what should be posted in a training forum, how to play with barbies?

yea i understand its a hand eye co-ordination problem and thats y i asked how to improve that hand eye co-ordination problem. makes sense?

and im sorry that i didnt ask how to improve that side of my boxing there and then. i thought people would have been much more accepting of the question on a damn forum. it seems that u cant answer that simple point so now i know how incompetent you are.

elveiel
05-29-2005, 04:06 PM
well if u think that my question was pointless asking in a training forum then tell me what should be posted in a training forum, how to play with barbies?

yea i understand its a hand eye co-ordination problem and thats y i asked how to improve that hand eye co-ordination problem. makes sense?

and im sorry that i didnt ask how to improve that side of my boxing there and then. i thought people would have been much more accepting of the question on a damn forum. it seems that u cant answer that simple point so now i know how incompetent you are.

:D ****ing attitude problems again :D

Finding range is very hard question to answer in text, the only way you can improve this is by working the bags or in sparring.

I cant really comment on your problems unless I see how how you punch(Thats why your coach should normally do it). If your willing to post a clip of you fighting or working the bag, i'll tell you exactly what your doing wrong/right(even though my first impression of you is ****).

Hunna
05-30-2005, 03:14 AM
range is about being in right postion to attack or defend(slip, block, weave)finding range is basically about landing a punch at the sametime feeling comfortable, playing to ya strengths, and being in a good position to further ur attack or defend when needed. mike Tyson range was closer than most of his opponents becos he was shorter. In his own range he could weave and counter with devastating left hooks and right uppercuts. sparring is so important, practice ya slipping, dodging, blocking weaving and footwork there. the position u are in when u throw ya hardest punch and combo is basically ya "range". becos dats where u want 2 be when u hurt ya opponent ;)

Hunna
05-30-2005, 03:16 AM
another tip: most trainers if not all, will neva know ur exact range, becos they arnt u, esepcailly when they hold focus pads anyway, and stand infront of u saying "this should be ur range". a good trainer, will guide u, and u will eventually find ur range. more and more fites and sparring is where u will find it

Machiavelli
05-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Findin your range is all about experience. Working the bags will help you naturally judge the distance for you to step in and throw punches but as you fight different fighters withd ifferent reach, speed, or strategy, you range alters, so IMO you will naturally pick it up from sparring and there is little more that you need to do.

Tiredoldngrey
06-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Establishing range is the crucial element of success in boxing; its how you hit and avoid being hit. A lot of fighters, even pros on television, have the bad habit of leaning or reaching at a target when they (and you) should move your feet. Also many times, in trying to really nail a right hand, for example, a boxer will paw with his jab, thereby smothering the right and any punch that might've followed. You should always extend that jab as far as possible- stepping in with it, turning you shoulder, basically jabbing as trying to throw the glove away. Then you'll be in place to land the right and the hook. Lots of time on that double end bag, my friend. Start by circling left, round and round, coordinating the jab with the left foot and always hitting the bag as it approaches.It gets tedious as hell- remember, just jab and circle,gradually working up to double jabs, cicling right,etc- but well worth it. The friend that taught me this years ago hasn't fought since his last pro bout in 1972 and he can still, after an experimental jab or two, throw fast 6-8 punch combos that stop a half inch off your nose.

rsl
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
There has been some good posts about your question already, and I had the same problem as you when I was just getting started w/ the sport. It's is true that there's really not much more your coach can do as far as your problem w/ distance is concerned. It will come w/ time just be consistent w/ your training and spar, spar, spar! For some folks like Mayweather, De La Hoya, The Late Great RJJ(LOL)and the now corroded Felix " Tito " Trinidad range came naturally to them those guys have awesome innate ability to gauge distance and timing, that's why you see their punches hit w/ precision and get out of the way but still be in position to strike again. I like to describe these terrific fighters I just mentioned as having " built-in radars " that most of us weren't equipped w/ when we came out of our mothers womb(lol) we just have to work harder at it. Again the best and only excercise to develop good distance is by sparring.

EXIGE
06-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replies people, well the 2nd half of the replies the first half werent exactly constructive comments on my problem.