View Full Version : How come there are no more great White lower weight fighters?

The Hate Giver
03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
What happend to them?

What happend to the jimmy wildes, willy peps, benny leonards, jimmy mclarnins, the mickey walkers, the midget wolgasts & the harry grebs?

When was the last time we got a great white lower weight fighter? I know we got ricky hatton recently, but lets all be honest he wasnt that great of a fighter. I know the white europeans are dominating 160 & up weight divisions but what happend to all the great white 147 & under fighters?

I mean they all couldnt be playing in the NBA, NFL, MLB, & professional soccer right?

what happened to them?

The Hate Giver
03-21-2010, 06:38 PM
nobody in the history section wants to answer this?

AddiX
03-21-2010, 07:08 PM
This is only my opinion:

But there is less reason for white people to get into boxing. Kellerman said it best, but poorest class almost always has the best fighters. I'm not saying there is not a lot of poor white people out there but there certainly is less than when compared to a lot of other countries.

And in these countries, PR, Mexico, Cuba, there are few other major sports, and much less opportunity. So young people get into boxing at extremely young age.

So with that in mind, How can someone who started when they were 16+ compete with someone doing in since they were 5 years old?

tanibanana
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
not as good as those guys, but worth mentioning nonetheless..

Darchinyan, Sidorenko, Bernard Dunne

Jim Jeffries
03-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Not really sure the reason behind bringing this racist bait thread to the History lounge after you already infected NSB with it.

Devils Advocate
03-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Not really sure the reason behind bringing this racist bait thread to the History lounge after you already infected NSB with it.
On a serious note most of them are flat footed like Gatti and their heads are not as hard as mexicans thus not allowing them to take punishment. Look at Freddie Roach, and for that matter look at Medrick Taylor. Damn Medrick is in terrible condition these days from his wars with the mexican fighters.

Devils Advocate
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
On a serious note most of them are flat footed like Gatti and their heads are not as hard as mexicans thus not allowing them to take punishment. Look at Freddie Roach, and for that matter look at Medrick Taylor. Damn Medrick is in terrible condition these days from his wars with the mexican fighters.
He's not white but you get the point white or black neither of us take head shots well even though we all bleed red blood.

Devils Advocate
03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
not as good as those guys, but worth mentioning nonetheless..

Darchinyan, Sidorenko, Bernard Dunne
what about Spadafora and Malinaggi their not ur typical white boxers I know but they have good lateral movement it just sucked that Paulie don't have power or else he would be making money all day everyday. I was proud of him for his fight with Cotto

tanibanana
03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
what about Spadafora and Malinaggi their not ur typical white boxers I know but they have good lateral movement it just sucked that Paulie don't have power or else he would be making money all day everyday. I was proud of him for his fight with Cotto

Yes. However, title said lowerweights.. my boundary is jr lightweight.
feather down to minimum for me is lower weights..

MonsieurGeorges
03-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Because boxing is not the same sport it used to be. It was a totally different world then, and a totally different sport. boxing just isn't around for kids growing up anymore, not even in the city really

dont even get me started on all the things that have affected white values in america. political correctness, feminization, the counter-culture movement

Mikhnienko
03-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Tishchenko is amazing but won't be going pro sadley but Ukraine's Vasyl Lomachenko is probably the best Amateur, any weight, in the world and will go pro after the 2012 games, he'll be 23/24.

What about Frankie Gavin?

Snopkins
03-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Here ya go lad

http://boxrec.com/

dont even get me started on all the things that have affected white values in america. political correctness, feminization, the counter-culture movement

I think a ban is in order for this crusty old geezer.

gerryCFan
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I think changing economic conditions of the 20th century caused this more than anything. Boxing is a rough sport and if you're well off you're more likely to play soccer or something else growing up.

PS: I don't think its racist to discuss this in a mature manner.

Hannibal Barca
03-23-2010, 03:51 AM
The same thing that happened to the great white American athletes that were once prevalent in the NBA & NFL.

The Beatles
03-24-2010, 06:53 AM
The same thing that happened to the great white American athletes that were once prevalent in the NBA & NFL.
HAHHAHAHHAHHHAHA.......here is your answer

The Hate Giver
03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
im surprised none of the historians who are the gatekeepers of all time great rankings (full of old white fighters) are not here to give their opinion on the matter.

Ziggy Stardust
03-27-2010, 12:16 PM
im surprised none of the historians who are the gatekeepers of all time great rankings (full of old white fighters) are not here to give their opinion on the matter.

I think you'll find most of the regular posters in the Boxing History section have far more black fighters in their all-time Heavyweight rankings than white fighters.

Poet

them_apples
03-27-2010, 12:25 PM
to be good in boxing you need hunger. Boxing is very hard.

White people (north american, UK etc) generally don't have as much to put on the line when it comes to making a living. In poorer countries it's either boxing or selling fish on the street for 10 cents a day.

Back in the day there were a lot of poor places in the united states. They still have poor places but even in those places there are more opportunities that are easier than boxing. Boxing is do or die.

I think this is partly where the MMA fighter "glass jaw" debate is brought up. top boxers have a tremendous amount of heart and train very hard. It's do or die for them if they get stopped. In MMa, a loss is nothing, they have no reason to fight through pain. lower class boxers lack chins as well.