View Full Version : Worst chins in heavyweight history?

Snopkins
03-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I can think of a couple,but most who know of me by now already know my picks.

Nick Fury
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Dylan!
Dylan!
Dylan!
Dylan!
Dylan!

because i spit hot fiya!

1SILVA
03-18-2010, 04:49 PM

John Tate
Gerry Cooney
Lennox Lewis
Carl Williams
Marvis Frazier

Junito-Rulez
03-18-2010, 04:55 PM
1) Michael Moorer
2) Wladimir Klitschko

Snopkins
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Dylan!
Dylan!
Dylan!
Dylan!
Dylan!

because i spit hot fiya!

Reported for racism.

Jim Jeffries
03-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Well Jack Johnson was knocked out by middleweight Joe Choynski and unskilled brawler John (Klon***e) Haines early in his career, so I don't think his chin was exactly granite. But he was able to develop a John Ruiz (another less than sturdy chin) style stifling, smothering defense that served him well the rest of his career.

The usual suspects, Floyd Patterson, Wladimir Klitschko, Ken Norton, Earnie Shavers, etc.

The_Demon
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Wlad
patterson

TBear
03-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Wlad and Patterson are good picks as far as champions go. Guys like John Tate and Bruno have a chinny label, but I believe it was more of a conditioning issue. Guys that get knocked out only in the later rounds but seem to have a good chin early in a bout can usually blame poor training habits.
I think guys like Moorer and Marvis Frazier(probably like Patterson) were fighting bigger guys and always had that disadvantage.

I'm suprised people haven't named the bums in the sport here, there are guys that lost all their fights by knockout. There are guys that been stopped 40+ times.

STREET CLEANER
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Tommy Morrison
Frank Bruno
Bruce Seldon

STREET CLEANER
03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Wlad and Patterson are good picks as far as champions go. Guys like John Tate and Bruno have a chinny label, but I believe it was more of a conditioning issue. Guys that get knocked out only in the later rounds but seem to have a good chin early in a bout can usually blame poor training habits.
I think guys like Moorer and Marvis Frazier(probably like Patterson) were fighting bigger guys and always had that disadvantage.

I'm suprised people haven't named the bums in the sport here, there are guys that lost all their fights by knockout. There are guys that been stopped 40+ times.

Some bums have no skills or defense, they would be to many unknown. The name fighters had skills and defense(and punching power) which took them further

sonnyboyx2
03-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Lennox Lewis
Hasim Rahman

Toney616
03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Herbie Hide
Frank Bruno
Audley Harrison

Toney616
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Lennox Lewis
Hasim Rahman
Lewis only got koed twice in his career, thats not bad for a guy with a glass chin.

fight_professor
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Gerry Cooney has bad whiskers.

Lennox's chin wasnt THAT bad. Its not great, but no where near the worse.

mickey malone
03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Worst chin I can remember seeing on several occasions, was journeyman, Lorenzo Boyd.. He was KO'd at least 40 times..

At championship level, I'd go with Bruce Seldon..

Toney616
03-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Worst chin I can remember seeing on several occasions, was journeyman, Lorenzo Boyd.. He was KO'd at least 40 times..

At championship level, I'd go with Bruce Seldon..
I think Sheldon was taking dives, that Tyson punch didnt even touch him imo

mickey malone
03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I think Sheldon was taking dives, that Tyson punch didnt even touch him imo
In most cases i'd say he definitely dived against Tyson , but in Seldon's case, the breeze from one of Tyson's punches would have probably been enough to do the trick lol.. I've seen that fight recently, and yes it was a dive, but he was sparked early by Riddick Bowe and Tye Fields, and also has inside the distance loses to McCall, Oquendo and Gerald Nobles that come to mind.. He's well into his 40's now and shouldn't be fighting, especially with a delicate chin.. He's an accident waiting to happen..

sonnyboyx2
03-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Lewis only got koed twice in his career, thats not bad for a guy with a glass chin.

it was the manner of the KOs.. against Rahman when he got poleaxed the referee could have counted to 100 and Lewis would not have beat the count, against McCall Lewis was still out of it 10 minutes later as he had to be helped down the ring steps and was still glassy eyed (i was there).. yet Rahman & McCall never in their career`s did they KO any fighter in the manner which Lewis went down, they was not "Big Punchers" so i can only put it down to Lewis having a very weak chin

Bright-Eyes
03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I've only ever seen his fight with Ali and he showed a pretty poor chin there and combine that with all the other knockout losses on his record I'd say Richard Dunn.

Quite shocked that he even went the distance with Roy Williams,let alone beat him.

TheGreatA
03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Travis Walker due to his recent efforts.

Jim Jeffries
03-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Travis Walker due to his recent efforts.

Yeah that's the third time I've watched him get pollaxed and Arreola was the only guy who had decent power.

The 15 second stoppage against the security guard I think he was, was a bit premature, but he was hurt and not throwing back, with the corner supporting him from going down.

Too bad really, he's got decent speed and power, plus the size to deal with todays HWs. Just not the talent or chin.

Shabba Rank$
03-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Wlad
Lennox

SeattleSeahawks
03-23-2010, 03:28 AM
If you named Ken Norton, Tommy Morrison, or Michael Moorer then somebody should get Mike Tyson to uppercut you in the bean bag. Shavers, Foreman and Cooney knocked out Norton, Foreman, Holyfield and Tua knocked out Moorer and Mercer, Lewis and Bent knocked out Morrison. Besides Bent all of these other fighers were great good of great punches.

Wladimir Klitchsko has a glass chin. If you have a arm and a fist attached too it and you can actually throw a punch you can and will hurt Wladimr the bum if you land

Lennox Lewis would of been knocked out by both Briggs and Bruno if they had better stamina. Not to mention he was iced by 1 punch by McCall and Rahman 2 third rate fighters

Maskaev was knocked out 7 or 8 times by average opponents for the most part and he never gets critize for having a weak chin.

Floyd Patterson wasnt a heavyweight so he shouldnt be named either.

Trenchant
03-23-2010, 08:30 PM
To Patterson's credit, after he'd been in the Heavyweights for a few years his chin actually got better and he fought to some decisions with some guys who could bang. It was mainly when he started out at Heavy that he was being KO'd whenever hit hard. Norton could take a decent shot but not from any of the big punchers. I think cooney's chin was not so bad in the beginning but later on the punches caught up to him. Which is something I fear for Morales in his fight this weekend, that he may just not be able to take a good shot anymore because of Pacman and all of his other wars added up.

Mugwump
03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Neither Lewis nor Bruno had weak chins. If Lennox's chin was as bad as many claim he would have been KTFO by Grant, Tua, Briggs, Vitali, Bruno, Tyson etc., who all dropped bombs on his beard without success.

Bruno's problems stemmed more from his lack of fitness than anything else. He gassed against Witherspoon and Smith. Only the bell saved him from gassing against McCall.