View Full Version : The Ten Worst Excuses in MMA history...

kaps
03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.cagepotato.com/excuses-bg

http://cdn.cagepotato.com/www/sites/default/files/Penn_GSP_2.jpg
(This is why B.J Penn still wakes up some nights in a terror, convinced that he's covered in Vaseline and his own blood.)

Whether we want to admit it or not, excuses are as much a part of mixed martial arts as Tapout tees and fist-pose photographs. They have to be. In a world where you must talk yourself into believing that youíre either the baddest man in your weight class or else on your way to becoming it, a loss is something you have to find some way to reconcile, or else have your identity destroyed. That other dude couldnít have won just because he was the better fighter. No, surely thereís a reason for this temporary setback, and chances are itís very detailed and probably a little bit ridiculous.

In honor of the post-defeat excuse in MMA, we give you ten of the worst and weirdest attempts to explain away an ass-kicking. They arenít necessarily untrue (though some are demonstrably untrue), but neither can they turn that L into a W. The best you can hope for is that they make sleeping at night just a little easier for the people who uttered them.

kaps
03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Good funny read. Check it out...

Bullrush
03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
kalib starnes hahah why did he even bother to come up with an excuse :haha:
broken foot my ass

Dice
03-19-2010, 11:27 PM
the Tiki Ghosn one was classic

-Swizzy-
03-20-2010, 03:30 AM
lol @ Tiki... that should have been #1 easily.

Dice
03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
lol @ Tiki... that should have been #1 easily.

Part of me feels he was jokin the other part really thinks he was serious

Virgil Caine
03-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I know it's all about comic relief, but I actually do buy the story of Rampage fasting before the fight with Wand. As a Wanderlei fan I'd like to say it was a prime Rampage, but Rampage is indeed nuts and I could easily imagine him pulling off something so irrational as that.

I also don't dismiss BJ Penn's claims of GSP greasing (although the story about the rubbing of the excess vaseline was bull****, even if likely technically against the rules). I've read that guys use pre-fight bathing as a means to get slippery (among other methods I'm sure). Being that BJ was the guy in the ring with GSP that night, I do believe that you have to trust the judgment of the fighters (at least to an extent) on issues relating to impropriety. That's not to say that GSP was definitely in the wrong, but I do think it is something at least worth raising an eyebrow at.

As for Kalib Starnes, he does look to be favoring a foot. It's a little hard to tell from the gif, but his footwork doesn't look natural to me. He should have retired in the corner though if he was injured.

LOLORSKATES
03-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Awesome read. I lol'ed on the Rampage excuse when Silva beat him. & Penn's story to me lost a lot of credibility when he said GSP uses roids.

Dice
03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
"They stopped it on a cut"

3LTerrible
03-21-2010, 07:44 AM
surprised tito only made the list once

gerryCFan
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Absolutely hilarious. Just wasting time watching those and laughing.