03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Who takes this?

EzzardFan
03-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Who takes this?

Basillio would murder him.

One more round
03-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Floyd takes a pretty comfortable points win.

Sweet Jesus
03-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Floyd has too much speed.

Jim Jeffries
03-19-2010, 01:30 AM
You mean the guy who beat Sugar Ray Robinson at MW, despite being outweighed by six and a half pounds? Against the guy who boasts wins over Carlos Baldomir, Zab Judah (coming off a loss,) Sharmba Mitchell, and of course Ricky Hatton and Juan Manuel Marqez coming up in weight?

Floyd murders him, of course. :thinking1:

One more round
03-19-2010, 01:37 AM
You mean the guy who beat Sugar Ray Robinson at MW, despite being outweighed by six and a half pounds? Against the guy who boasts wins over Carlos Baldomir, Zab Judah (coming off a loss,) Sharmba Mitchell, and of course Ricky Hatton and Juan Manuel Marqez coming up in weight?

Floyd murders him, of course. :thinking1:

An old Sugar Ray, who fights nothing like Floyd.

Jim Jeffries
03-19-2010, 01:50 AM

Sugar Ray, who had just knocked out prime HOFer Gene Fullmer in 5 rounds in his previous fight? Sugar Ray, who would demolish Floyd, even this "old" version?

Deonindahouze
03-19-2010, 03:40 AM
man whoever thinks dat dis whyte boy wood stand a chance iz a raycist an a hater cuz floyd iz more skild

Snopkins
03-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Sugar Ray, who had just knocked out prime HOFer Gene Fullmer in 5 rounds in his previous fight? Sugar Ray, who would demolish Floyd, even this "old" version?

You're nothing more than a boxrec ranger who posts everything in accordance to what boxrec says.

I doubt you've seen much of Mayweather,let alone Basillio.

JAB5239
03-19-2010, 03:54 AM

He didn't fight like Floyd. But he did have power and a laser like jab that still wasn't enough to keep Basilio off him. Floyd wouldn't keep him off either. The question is, would Floyds defense be enough to win the fight as he'd have his back against the ropes most of the fight and hardly be able to get off his own punches without opening up for Basilio.

I can see scenarios for both fighters winning, but Basilio was the much greater welterweight.

Oasis_Lad
03-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Basilio by decision.

One more round
03-19-2010, 04:29 AM

What you're saying is irrelevant. Fact is Floyd is much better defensively and in my opinion faster than Ray, as well as a technically superior fighter. He can pick Basilio off, plus hang on in close and minimize scoring opportunities when Basilio does get inside. Plus, the post layoff Floyd is much bigger and stronger, and since Basilio was a natural same day weigh in WW, he may not have possessed such a dramatic strength advantage in the first place.

wmute
03-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Great Fight. I would love to watch that.

Naysayers on both sides would be surprised by Basilio skills and by Mayweather toughness.

tyger
03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Basilio!! Big!
Mayweather has done little at welterweight to convince me otherwise.

Jim Jeffries
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
What you're saying is irrelevant. Fact is Floyd is much better defensively and in my opinion faster than Ray, as well as a technically superior fighter. He can pick Basilio off, plus hang on in close and minimize scoring opportunities when Basilio does get inside. Plus, the post layoff Floyd is much bigger and stronger, and since Basilio was a natural same day weigh in WW, he may not have possessed such a dramatic strength advantage in the first place.

Fact is Floyd hasn't faced anyone at WW that would allow him to be compared to an ATG WW like Basilio.

Match him against 130/135 pounders all you want, but this is just disrespectful.

The truth is, Mayweather probably would've avoided him.

fight_professor
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Man, Basilio was too crude a fighter. I have seen the SRR win and its good, but Carmen lacked the slickness to compete with Floyd. Money would be too quick, and his defense too slick. Pot shots all night. Late stoppage for Money.

One more round
03-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Fact is Floyd hasn't faced anyone at WW that would allow him to be compared to an ATG WW like Basilio.

Match him against 130/135 pounders all you want, but this is just disrespectful.

The truth is, Mayweather probably would've avoided him.

I'm not comparing them in a historical sense, of course Basilio ranks higher at WW historically. I'm saying Floyd would beat him in a h2h fight.

Silencers
03-20-2010, 08:40 AM
This is a very interesting fight, I think Mayweather's defense, counterpunching and movement could edge him this one but Basilio's physicality, toughness and his grinding style will definitely give Mayweather trouble. I can see scenarios for both of them winning honestly.