View Full Version : how do you spar in your gym

southpaw2884
03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
i have been to gyms where sparring is more of a learning drill and its taken easy and bombs arent being thrown... but i have also been to gyms where its war. what do you think is the right mentality to sparring?

Ivansmamma
03-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Where i train we generally adapt to each other. If someone takes it easy you take it easy, if someone throws bombs you throw back. If you spar with someone on a lower level you go easy. Sometimes we do drills where you're not supposed to hit hard. At other times we decide beforehand that we are gonna go all out.

southpaw2884
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
that sounds good yo. it just depends on the level of your sparring partner. i have sparred new people alot and all they want to do is throw bombs lol sometimes i throw back and sometimes i just work on my defense and throw a hard jab.. since i am southpaw it usually confuses them anyways

Ivansmamma
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
that sounds good yo. it just depends on the level of your sparring partner. i have sparred new people alot and all they want to do is throw bombs lol sometimes i throw back and sometimes i just work on my defense and throw a hard jab.. since i am southpaw it usually confuses them anyways

Yeah that tends to happen a lot. The new guys are anxious or something, they go into the ring all tense and start throwing bombs.

southpaw2884
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
its funny and aggravating at the same time but its whatever. i like to spar hard cause sometimes my fights arent even close to my sparring.. not saying i am the man or whatever but if i am use to bombs and **** when i spar if they arent coming at me in a fight... he'd better have good footwork

Ivansmamma
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
its funny and aggravating at the same time but its whatever. i like to spar hard cause sometimes my fights arent even close to my sparring.. not saying i am the man or whatever but if i am use to bombs and **** when i spar if they arent coming at me in a fight... he'd better have good footwork

I can do it either way as long as i know what is going to happen, what i dont like is when a guy tells you "let's go easy" and then tries to take you head off.

I usually spar with heavier guys so iam used to taking shots from guys about 155-165, i'm 135 so it gives me confidence that i can take whatever guys my own size are throwing at me. What i don't like is to fight guys with a much better reach but i guess it's good to learn to do that too.

southpaw2884
03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
lol when i spar people your weight class who are good its crazy cause yall are so damn fast. i use to spar with heavy weight and a light heavy weight too i am 160 it does give you the confidence though. the same goes wit smaller people and the speed factor

Ivansmamma
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
lol when i spar people your weight class who are good its crazy cause yall are so damn fast. i use to spar with heavy weight and a light heavy weight too i am 160 it does give you the confidence though. the same goes wit smaller people and the speed factor

It's lucky for us small guys we atleast have speed advantage otherwise we would have no chance in hell :D

Walt Liquor
03-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Where i train we generally adapt to each other. If someone takes it easy you take it easy, if someone throws bombs you throw back. If you spar with someone on a lower level you go easy. Sometimes we do drills where you're not supposed to hit hard. At other times we decide beforehand that we are gonna go all out.

exactly like mine.

Skuzzles
03-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Same here.

With some of the newer guys I try to help em relax a little, I'll let them throw while I work on defense, footwork etc... and I'll throw fast punches without much power.

With the more advanced guys we usually go all out if we're at a similar weight.

One more round
03-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Depends with who. If they are a serious fighter I always use full speed, power etc, but if they are a beginner or much smaller I take it easier.

DiLLiNGER
03-19-2010, 04:01 AM
The gym i'm at they dont give a **** they hit as hard as they like..i went back few weeks ago after a long break..some dude who's turning pro soon smashed me for two rounds lol..nothing worse than sparring unfit.

G A M E
03-19-2010, 04:26 AM
My trainer is trying to make my cuzn and i spar full tilt with other cats full tilt... thats his mentality tho... we tend to go a bit easier.. but when we spar each other... its war

kbpoetree
03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
The gym i'm at they dont give a **** they hit as hard as they like..i went back few weeks ago after a long break..some dude who's turning pro soon smashed me for two rounds lol..nothing worse than sparring unfit.
hmm sounds like a bad coach at ur gym if he letten the soon to b pro beat up on a comebacker not in shape....first off in sparring their must b control...most young ones dont have that so no need to go hard as they will get confused and go in2 bad styles and techniques..if one is getting ready for a fight then yes turn up the sparring by all means and go harder..sparring is training not a fight...so practice...if it takes slowen down a bit to get technique then do it..once ur comfortable with everything find another partner on ur same level and pick up the pace

Ivansmamma
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM

When that happens i usually try to do what Clottey did last saturday :D
It's always a hard time the first few weeks after a long break.

*RAZOR RUIZ*
03-22-2010, 03:24 PM
at my gym its a freaken war..