View Full Version : Prime Lennox Lewis vs Prime Riddick Bowe?

Postman prat
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Listen,I think Lenny sparks him personally,but I want others opinions on this,isn't it?

The Lenny who destroyed the Canuck Razor in two against the Riddick Bowe who peaked against Holy :boxing:

CarlosG815
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Lewis isn't beating anybody good unless they're way past their prime.

Sugarj
03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I go for Bowe, the guy that fought Holyfield first time was sensational. I dont think Lewis would take his heavy combinations. Whereas Bowe had one hell of a good chin in the early 90s.

sonnyboyx2
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I go for Bowe, the guy that fought Holyfield first time was sensational. I dont think Lewis would take his heavy combinations. Whereas Bowe had one hell of a good chin in the early 90s.

Lewis knew that the version of Bowe who hammered Holyfield in 92 was far too much for him to fight so he deliberately priced himself out of a fight, knowing Bowe would be stripped of the WBC belt.. Lewis also turned down a huge payday to fight Bowe in 95 when neither held a belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo

Sugarj
03-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I remember alot about the politics at the time, never really felt I got the truth though.

One of the biggest shames in heavyweight history that we never got to see these two face off.

I do think that Lewis would beat Bowe post Holyfield 3, but prime for prime.....Big Daddy surely takes this one.

Earl Hickey
03-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Lewis knocks him out............again.

Silencers
03-16-2010, 05:37 AM
I think it would've been a very good competitive fight but I lean towards Lewis to win, at his best I thought Lewis was better on the outside than Bowe, had a better jab and better technique and he knew how to hold and spoil on the inside, I'm talking about the Lewis after he got together with Steward.

Shazam!
03-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Holy **** Lewis KILLS him! It's one of the most famous stories from that time. Lewis doiminated Bowe in 88, knocked him out in 2 rounds. Bowe refused to fight Lewis who was the most feared heavyweight in the early 90's. Damn, Lewis destroyed big men like this.

The fact that Bowe has any votes here is laughable and proves the U.S. bias.

I think Razor Ruddock (who took Tyson 19 rounds but was KTFO in 2 by Lewis) would have beaten Riddick Bowe.

Bowe wasn't in Lewis' league and he knew it.

tanibanana
03-16-2010, 06:54 AM
I have less knowledge of Bowe, but his boxrec resume gimes me a hunch his prime is not enough to beat a prime Lewis I know..

bojangles1987
03-16-2010, 07:17 AM
I think Lewis was obviously better on the outside and would be able to keep him at range most the fight. Lewis by UD.

Pirao
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Lewis would have beat him, no doubt.

The_Demon
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Lewis wins
bowe didnt want nothing to do with lewis and theres a reason for that

ManniePhresh
03-16-2010, 07:21 AM
prime? bowe but wasnt he scared of lewis because the olympics or amateurs or something?

Sugarj
03-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Lewis beat Bowe in the 88 Olympics. Bowe was not knocked out, he was stopped on his feet protesting after several standing eight counts from memory. Lewis clearly deserved his win.

That said, I think the Bowe of 91/92 was a far superior fighting machine. He did much better against a peak Holyfield than Lewis ever did against even the old Holyfield, what 8 years or so later.

ghost deini
03-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Lewis wins
bowe didnt want nothing to do with lewis and theres a reason for that

thats it right there in a nutshell Bowe knew Lewis had his number

FistoftheDallasStar
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Even though Bowe's prime was shorter than Lewis, during that time span he was great. Riddick could have beaten Lewis in his prime.

HitmanHattonAY
03-17-2010, 12:35 AM
I think Lewis was obviously better on the outside and would be able to keep him at range most the fight. Lewis by UD.

yer i would go for lewis

Telepath
03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Lewis by knockout within five rounds.

Sugarj
03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm a little suprised by the heavy voting in Lewis's favour.

But those predicting a knockout for Lewis clearly have not seen prime Bowe fight, his chin was terrific.......plus he was never stopped and only ever lost one very close decision to prime Holyfield. Even when clearly shot against Golota he was only stopped by low blows.

Bowe was very heavy handed and could land bombs late into fights, check out Holyfield 1. Lewis's chin would surely be tested and we all know that Lewis's losses to McCall and Rahman were one punch KOs.

The_Demon
03-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Lewis wins a UD.easy fight to predict

bowe was tough but lewis was an all round better fighter

Axl Rose
03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
if they had faugt in 93 Riddicks prime, Bowe wins the fight. Lewis at this time was beaten by McCall, was outjabbed by Bruno (behind on points) and struggling with a ****aine wreck tony tucker for 12 rounds( tucker was comming of 2 years retirement).
I just cant see this version of Lewis beat Big daddy. Lewis was unimressive in these years and Bowe had hammered evander holyfield big time.

For people who really belive in Lewis against Bowe, sit down and watch both fighters fights around 91-92-93. Easy fight for Bowe.

Sugarj
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Agreed Axl, in the early 90s Bowe was clearly superior to Lewis in my eyes at least.

I tend to think of Lennox's true prime as being in 1997, around the time he beat Golota......and with Manny Steward in his corner. But even then I'd pick 92 Bowe over 97 Lewis. It'd be a great fight while it lasted though!!!!

mickey malone
03-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Bowe had all the physical gifts to beat Lewis, but no confidence in his own dedication to do so.. He pretended not to be bothered, but in reality, he was scared of deep water and having to get into the shape of his life..
It wasn't just the WBC belt he threw into the bin, it was his heart too, and a poetical admission that Holyfield had made it quite tough enough for him, in their 1st war.. Not to mention a huge smack in the kisser for every boxing fan and his dog..
So he opted to fight, full blown junkie, Michael Dokes instead..
He then had a meaningless easy win over Jesse Fergusson, lost and won agains Holy, and put in 2 lame performances against another 'special-needs' fighter in Andrew Golota.. He would have been no match for Lewis, who was far more hungry for success than fried chicken.. Lewis genuinely wanted to be a proud champion, where as Bowe wasn't really that bothered.. This annoys me, because i'd say he was the more talanted of the two.. He may rap on about, we offered this and we offered that, but if he sincerely wanted that fight to happen, he would never have thrown a championship belt into a trash can, or allow himself to be called 'Chicken Bowe,' for many months afterwards by a furious Lewis..
The boxing public were definitely robbed of a true classic, because if Bowe had a true fighting heart, not only would the fight have definitely happened, but I'd have picked him to beat Lewis in an absolute thriller..

sonnyboyx2
03-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Bowe had all the physical gifts to beat Lewis, but no confidence in his own dedication to do so.. He pretended not to be bothered, but in reality, he was scared of deep water and having to get into the shape of his life..
It wasn't just the WBC belt he threw into the bin, it was his heart too, and a poetical admission that Holyfield had made it quite tough enough for him, in their 1st war.. Not to mention a huge smack in the kisser for every boxing fan and his dog..
He then had a meaningless easy win over Jesse Fergusson, lost and won agains Holy, and put in 2 lame performances against another 'special-needs' fighter in Andrew Golota.. He would have been no match for Lewis, who was far more hungry for success than fried chicken.. Lewis genuinely wanted to be a proud champion, where as Bowe wasn't really that bothered.. This annoys me, because i'd say he was the more talanted of the two.. He may rap on about, we offered this and we offered that, but if he sincerely wanted that fight to happen, he would never have thrown a championship belt into a trash can, or allow himself to be called 'Chicken Bowe,' for many months afterwards by a furious Lewis..
The boxing public were definitely robbed of a true classic, because if Bowe had a true fighting heart, not only would the fight have definitely happened, but I'd have picked him to beat Lewis in an absolute thriller..

alot of what you say i can agree with, Yet what is forgotten in this argument over and over again is that Riddick Bowe WAS the UNDISPUTED Heavyweight Champion of the World, and when you are the Top Dog then NO-ONE tells you what to do, NO contender tells you that if you are going to fight him that you must give him a 50/50 purse cut or options on your next 5 fights should you win him... Those kind of demands is IMO known as "Pricing yourself out" -- which is what Lennox Lewis and his team done, Lets no forget that Lewis also turned down $10 million in 1995 to fight Bowe when neither man held a title, so you must ask yourself why a fighter can turn down a career highest purse of $10 million.. it is IMO Lewis who was the one who did not want the fight to happen... alot is made of their meeting in the Olympic final yet i have watched it many times and Bowe was `Robbed`the referee was worst than the guy who refereed Ottke vs Reid

Shazam!
03-18-2010, 06:14 AM
if they had faugt in 93 Riddicks prime, Bowe wins the fight. Lewis at this time was beaten by McCall, was outjabbed by Bruno (behind on points) and struggling with a ****aine wreck tony tucker for 12 rounds( tucker was comming of 2 years retirement).
I just cant see this version of Lewis beat Big daddy. Lewis was unimressive in these years and Bowe had hammered evander holyfield big time.

For people who really belive in Lewis against Bowe, sit down and watch both fighters fights around 91-92-93. Easy fight for Bowe.

Lewis beat the **** out of Bruno and knocked him out.

Lewis KTFO'd Razor Ruddock (who went 19 rounds with Tyson) in 2 ROUNDS.

Lewis would have destroyed Bowe. Bowe beat Holyfield? Haha. So ****ing what? Holyfield also beat Bowe and Lewis would have never lost to either of these fighters.

Nice try though ;-)

Shazam!
03-18-2010, 06:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGkSozWPYE&feature=related

There's Lewis KO'ing Ruddock. Meanwhile, Bowe got in a lot of trouble against Tyrell Biggs and Tony Tubbs, then got a title shot against Holyfield. Lewis dominated these guys and KO'd Ruddock. Why did Bowe get the first shot? Cus he was American.

Bowe never put in a good performance against a big world class heavyweight and Lewis would have dominated him just like he did in the 88 Olympic Final.

sonnyboyx2
03-18-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGkSozWPYE&feature=related

There's Lewis KO'ing Ruddock. Meanwhile, Bowe got in a lot of trouble against Tyrell Biggs and Tony Tubbs, then got a title shot against Holyfield. Lewis dominated these guys and KO'd Ruddock. Why did Bowe get the first shot? Cus he was American.

Bowe never put in a good performance against a big world class heavyweight and Lewis would have dominated him just like he did in the 88 Olympic Final.

you are talking garbage... i was at the Lewis v Ruddock fight and it was clear to me that Ruddock was "Damaged Goods" after having his jaw & cheekbone smashed by Mike Tyson... Bowe beat a peak Holyfield whereas Lewis managed a draw with old Holyfield and Evander was Robbed in their rematch...yet which ever way you look at it there is no chance that Rahman or McCall would poleaxed Riddick Bowe, in fact i would strongly tip Bowe to take care of those two the same way he took care of Dokes and Ferguson

The_Demon
03-18-2010, 09:59 AM

brilliant post.spot on

mickey malone
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
alot of what you say i can agree with, Yet what is forgotten in this argument over and over again is that Riddick Bowe WAS the UNDISPUTED Heavyweight Champion of the World, and when you are the Top Dog then NO-ONE tells you what to do, NO contender tells you that if you are going to fight him that you must give him a 50/50 purse cut or options on your next 5 fights should you win him... Those kind of demands is IMO known as "Pricing yourself out" -- which is what Lennox Lewis and his team done, Lets no forget that Lewis also turned down $10 million in 1995 to fight Bowe when neither man held a title, so you must ask yourself why a fighter can turn down a career highest purse of $10 million.. it is IMO Lewis who was the one who did not want the fight to happen... alot is made of their meeting in the Olympic final yet i have watched it many times and Bowe was `Robbed`the referee was worst than the guy who refereed Ottke vs Reid
I have no concrete evidence to say that Lewis didn't price himself out of it, but I would however, strongly suggest that money wasn't everything to do with it..
As you rightly point out, Bowe was undisputed champ, but only up until, just after Lewis defeated Ruddock to become the WBC's no2.. This was when Bowe forfeited that distinction, by tossing a portion of it into the bin..
My question would be: -

Did the WBC allow the challenger to call the shots?

The impression I get here, is that Bowe and his team got priced out of it by the WBC, otherwise what would be his reason to trash the belt?.. I doubt if it was to teach Lewis a lesson for being too greedy..
I'd say, most of the disagreement was between Bowe and the WBC (Suliaman and King) and not so much between Bowe and Lewis..
My guess would be that Lewis's inflated demands went upon deaf ears while Bowe in turn, was offered a crap deal by the WBC.. It wouldn't take long for him to figure out he could earn the same kind of dollar in easy defenses against the likes of Dokes and Ferguson while still being the recognized champ..
I'll buy that Lewis may have used his champion status, to price himself out of it in 95, but i'm not so sure about the 1st time because he only had a no1 contender status to bargain with..

Like you, I don't look into amateur performances when commenting on the pro's as it bears into insignificance.. Who knows what would have happened, had the ref actually let them fight?.. But like all amateur refs, he stopped it over nothing..
The one thing i will say though, is that the Olympic victory just may have played a particular role in the mindset of Lewis, in a 'he needs me more than I need him' kind of way..

GRANDSLAM
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Bowe was **** scared of Lewis after Lewis spanked him in the Olympics. I think a Prime Lewis is post Holyfield as that was when he was most sure of himself. Bowe was never sure of himself hence why he'd spend more time in the fridge than in the Gym. Lewis by early stoppage

Shazam!
03-18-2010, 10:43 AM
you are talking garbage... i was at the Lewis v Ruddock fight and it was clear to me that Ruddock was "Damaged Goods" after having his jaw & cheekbone smashed by Mike Tyson... Bowe beat a peak Holyfield whereas Lewis managed a draw with old Holyfield and Evander was Robbed in their rematch...yet which ever way you look at it there is no chance that Rahman or McCall would poleaxed Riddick Bowe, in fact i would strongly tip Bowe to take care of those two the same way he took care of Dokes and Ferguson

Look at my post. When it comes to fights, I've stated facts. Look at your post...

You talk about Lewis 'only managing a draw against old Holyfield'. Everyone acknowledges that Lewis dominated the first fight (he landed TWICE as many punches!) and won the second fight also. Virtually everyone acknowledges that.

Lewis dominated Bowe in 88 and Bowe refused to fight him in 92. Those are the undisputable facts.

Shazam!
03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Bowe was **** scared of Lewis after Lewis spanked him in the Olympics. I think a Prime Lewis is post Holyfield as that was when he was most sure of himself. Bowe was never sure of himself hence why he'd spend more time in the fridge than in the Gym. Lewis by early stoppage

Agreed. Bowe was a disgrace to the sport really. He ducked everyone, let himself go...struggled severely in both fights against Golota, then retired at around 30. He beat Holyfield 2-1? Wow. Big deal! Holyfield is over-rated as a heavyweight.

Bowe was rarely tested against big punchers. We don't really know how good Bowe's chin was, because he never faced ANYWHERE NEAR as many big punchers as Lennox Lewis, who went in there against Ruddock, McCall, Mercer, David Tua, Klitschko, Rahman, Tyson, Bruno, Grant, Morrison...you name it. Lewis faced all the big punchers of his time. Lewis, who was a lot quicker back then, would have danced around and battered fatty Bowe easier than he battered the fitter, faster version of Bowe in 88. Bowe never faced a big man anywhere NEAR Lewis's class.

sonnyboyx2
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Look at my post. When it comes to fights, I've stated facts. Look at your post...

You talk about Lewis 'only managing a draw against old Holyfield'. Everyone acknowledges that Lewis dominated the first fight (he landed TWICE as many punches!) and won the second fight also. Virtually everyone acknowledges that.

Lewis dominated Bowe in 88 and Bowe refused to fight him in 92. Those are the undisputable facts.

where are your Facts?

Those are your own small minded opinions... Lewis was unfortunate to only get a draw in his first fight with Holyfield although Holyfield claims he won as many rounds as Lewis did.. yet in their rematch 42 of 48 ringside reporters had Holyfield the clear winner... here is a link.

http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/9912/one.htm

i suggest that you stop claiming that what you think is "FACT" because i find everything which you have claimed so far on this topic as "Garbage"... you obviously have never seen the Olympic final because if you had done then you would not be making ridiculous claims like "Lewis dominated Bowe" and claiming it to be Fact... here is a link to that Olympic final, i suggest you sit back and watch it as you will see that you are talking through your arse, the truth is that Bowe dominated Lewis and that the referee was corrupt and intent on Bowe not winning.
here is your link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K39AbwNl3QU

Shazam!
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Can I have some of that crack you're smoking? :haha:

sonnyboyx2
03-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Can I have some of that crack you're smoking? :haha:

sure sign that youv`e been owned :moon:

General Zod
03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
where are your Facts?

Those are your own small minded opinions... Lewis was unfortunate to only get a draw in his first fight with Holyfield although Holyfield claims he won as many rounds as Lewis did.. yet in their rematch 42 of 48 ringside reporters had Holyfield the clear winner... here is a link.
Lewis won his first fight with Holyfield by virtual shut out everyone knows that, its been a long time since Ive seen their remtch so I cant comment on it.

fight_professor
03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Even though Bowe's prime was shorter than Lewis, during that time span he was great. Riddick could have beaten Lewis in his prime.

That's how I see it. I rate LL much higher overall, but RB who beat Holyfield the first time was a machine. For a big guy, beautiful inside game. Nice chin, good power.

I can see him beating LL by KO.