View Full Version : Joe Calzaghe vs James Toney Prime 4 Prime?

Stallone60
03-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Joe Calzaghe has proved he is the best boxer to come out of britain and probably the best ever Super Middleweight in history. James Toney was a great Super Middleweight with alot of skills back in the day. Who would come out on top if a early 90's Toney got in the ring with a Calzaghe that destroyed Lacy?

nachorjj
03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Toney by KO

geribeetus
03-15-2010, 09:45 AM
james by close decision, i think he had the ability to get a wide decision but even on his good nights he tended to take rounds off, even if he wasn't tired. since this gets done to death, i think calzaghe beats hopkins even back in the day on stamina alone. this is coming from probably the biggest hopkins fan on this forum. and i think jones beats calzaghe comfortably, with joe picking up most of his rounds after the 8th.

ghost deini
03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
lol this hypothetical matchups are funny

like Calzaghe would've really had the balls to fight a guy like Toney

Toney would've wiped the floor with that overrated bum

baya
03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
james by wide UD. if joe stood and fought he'd get KO'd i feel.

calzaghe is an awesome fighter, toney was just all around better; just maybe not as fast.

sonnyboyx2
03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Toney is one of the greatest fighters of all times

One more round
03-15-2010, 05:59 PM
I think Toney is too accurate with the counter right and his counters in general, for Joe to beat him.

boxasmash
03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Calzaghe wins.

The_Demon
03-15-2010, 06:51 PM
bad style match-up for joe but im sure he could rally late to sneak it

Joey Giardello
03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I think toney has to many skills for joe, the toney who took apart prince charles williams and iran barkley beats the calzaghe that beat lacy

geribeetus
03-16-2010, 03:09 AM
bad style match-up for joe but im sure he could rally late to sneak it

i agree joe could win but if anything it's a bad style for james. swamp a counter puncher with more punches than he can see coming

Shazam!
03-16-2010, 07:51 AM
I like James Toney but prime Joe would have won this on points. Easy prediction.

Calzaghe is 6ft. He would have kept the much shorter Toney at range and out-worked him for an easy points win. Toney would have given him trouble at times, but Calzaghe has taken shots from light-heavyweights and still won. He had an amazing chin.

Calzaghe vs anyone is a tough matchup because his work rate was so high that it meant it's difficult to get a decision. And to KO him, well, it never happened. He had an iron chin.

bojangles1987
03-16-2010, 08:20 AM
If Toney shows up focused he definitely beats Calzaghe. He was too good a counter puncher for Calzaghe's style.

ManniePhresh
03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
james toney! easy too

Dynamite Kid
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
People talk about Joe's workrate but what people forget is that Joe had no defence and even though he would be in the fight with Toney he would catch too many punches and lose the fight because his defence would let him down, ive said it before i will say it again, Joe Calzaghe is not technically sound enough to beat elite fighters like Toney, Jones, Hopkins in their prime, both Hopkins and Jones managed to drop him and they are no where near the fighters they were.

AKATheMack
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Calzaghes wide punches would be disastrous against a sharp shooter like Toney and Toney at 168 definitely hit hard enough to make Joe think twice about throwing. Getting Toney to show up in top form would be the hardest part.

wmute
03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Joe gets on his ass a few times, all from counter right hands. This wins Toney a UD.

wmute
03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I like James Toney but prime Joe would have won this on points. Easy prediction.

Calzaghe is 6ft. He would have kept the much shorter Toney at range and out-worked him for an easy points win. Toney would have given him trouble at times, but Calzaghe has taken shots from light-heavyweights and still won. He had an amazing chin.

Calzaghe vs anyone is a tough matchup because his work rate was so high that it meant it's difficult to get a decision. And to KO him, well, it never happened. He had an iron chin.

Like Nunn?

Alec900
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
toney at his best:goodnight to joe,lights out

IMDAZED
03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
i agree joe could win but if anything it's a bad style for james. swamp a counter puncher with more punches than he can see coming

That's the perfect style for Toney. Terrible matchup for Calzaghe.

Joey Giardello
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
People talk about Joe's workrate but what people forget is that Joe had no defence and even though he would be in the fight with Toney he would catch too many punches and lose the fight because his defence would let him down, ive said it before i will say it again, Joe Calzaghe is not technically sound enough to beat elite fighters like Toney, Jones, Hopkins in their prime, both Hopkins and Jones managed to drop him and they are no where near the fighters they were.

good post i agree, against the elite calzaghe's defence would of always been his let down! calzaghe never went up against one elite fighter who was in his prime, even an old hopkins with no legs got a draw for me against joe, before roy jones got that terrible cut he dropped and was holding his own with joe. A prime toney, hopkins and jones would of all been way to much for calzaghe. Also i dont see joe beating the like's of mccallum or kalambay either both were to technically sound for calzaghe

Dynamite Kid
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
good post i agree, against the elite calzaghe's defence would of always been his let down! calzaghe never went up against one elite fighter who was in his prime, even an old hopkins with no legs got a draw for me against joe, before roy jones got that terrible cut he dropped and was holding his own with joe. A prime toney, hopkins and jones would of all been way to much for calzaghe. Also i dont see joe beating the like's of mccallum or kalambay either both were to technically sound for calzaghe

Agree, i struggle to see how Calzaghe would beat an elite technician with his defence, inferior technique, see how wide and square Calzaghe got when he got up from the Mitchell KD? if he were fighting a an elite fighter he would of payed the price big time, see the uppercuts Kessler nailed him with to, the right hooks/hands Reid was hitting him with?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pX0_b_M9ulk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pX0_b_M9ulk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DeepSleep
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Calzaghe's style and activity would have netted him a few rounds against Toney, but in the end Toney would blast Calzaghe with one too many counter right hands and put him away.

check hook
03-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Toney..............

them_apples
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
james by close decision, i think he had the ability to get a wide decision but even on his good nights he tended to take rounds off, even if he wasn't tired. since this gets done to death, i think calzaghe beats hopkins even back in the day on stamina alone. this is coming from probably the biggest hopkins fan on this forum. and i think jones beats calzaghe comfortably, with joe picking up most of his rounds after the 8th.

I dont agree with your Hopkins statement at all. Calzaghe just barely beat a Hopkins that was 43 years old and was already being criticized for having such a low punch out put.

Calzaghe has a good shot at Ud'ing Toney, but Toney got a good shot at Uding Calzaghe or even koing him as well.

Postman prat
03-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont agree with your Hopkins statement at all. Calzaghe just barely beat a Hopkins that was 43 years old and was already being criticized for having such a low punch out put.

Listen,this isn't true at all.I easily beat Hopkins but one yank judge tried to rob me.I was the one making the fight and doing the actual fighting.Hopkins felt my power and went into his little philly shell from that point on.

Listen,I fought Hopkins in his prime and spanked him.

Toney616
03-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I think toney has to many skills for joe, the toney who took apart prince charles williams and iran barkley beats the calzaghe that beat lacy
Even in those fights Toney took breathers by laying against the ropes, It would be a great fight though. Calzaghe may beable to sneak a ud on workrate alone, if a 35 year old McCallum could outwork Toney, then Im sure Calzaghe would have a good chance as well.

It would be either Toney by ko or Calzaghe by UD imo
cant really make up my mind

Toney616
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Why do Hopkins fans ingnore the fact that Hopkins was clinching and headbutting for the whole 12 rounds of that fight?

Calzaghe has a good shot at Ud'ing Toney, but Toney got a good shot at Uding Calzaghe or even koing him as well.
I agree with this

RimmyDelicious
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I know Calzaghe isn't as good as Dave Tiberi, Drake Thadzi and Montell Griffin but I think he could have eeked it out. :thumbsdow

Toney616
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I know Calzaghe isn't as good as Dave Tiberi, Drake Thadzi and Montell Griffin but I think he could have eeked it out. :thumbsdow
Toney is simply too inconsistent, losing to guys he had no business losing to.

Wukillabeez78
03-20-2010, 10:44 PM
This would be an exciting fight (for the viewers) however Toney would win easily. I don't understand how people would pick Calzaghe based on his workrate... Calzaghe did throw a multitude of punches but he didn't sit down on them often and he certainly couldn't hurt Toney even if he did. Do you know what Toney would do against a boxer like Calzaghe who swarms and throws a lot of punches but couldn't hurt him? Toney would simply lay on the ropes, avoid/block Calzaghe's punches and eventually wear him down, catch him with a tremendous counter and knock him out. How many times has Toney done this in his career and against much harder punchers than Calzaghe? Prime Calzaghe was a good fighter but a prime Toney is superior.

Sick/
03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
LOL. Calzaghe would never get worn down

Wukillabeez78
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
LOL. Calzaghe would never get worn down

LOL, he would fighting a superior fighter who didn't feel his pitty pat punches and was hurting him at the same time. James would lay on the ropes conserving energy like he always did and knock Calzaghe out.

forget
03-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Toney would win

General Zod
03-21-2010, 12:04 PM
LOL, he would fighting a superior fighter who didn't feel his pitty pat punches and was hurting him at the same time. James would lay on the ropes conserving energy like he always did and knock Calzaghe out.
Like he did against Dave Tiberi?

razzledaz 38
03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
toney would win hands down.tho i wouldnt have ever payed to see a calzaghe fight.man what a boring fighter! some people rate calzaghe as the greatest british fighter i would rather rate him as the most boring fighter in history.

Sick/
03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
toney would win hands down.tho i wouldnt have ever payed to see a calzaghe fight.man what a boring fighter! some people rate calzaghe as the greatest british fighter i would rather rate him as the most boring fighter in history.

I think you mean Hopkins is the most boring fighter in history

DreamFighter
07-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Calzaghe has some decent weapons in his arsenal, amazing fitness, tactically smart, speed of hand and good chin plus the confusing southpaw stance. His biggest weakness are an appallingly low accuracy, very weak power, a lack of bravery and a narrow skillset.

Toney brings high accuracy, fantastic chin and power to the ring plus amazing boxing skills on the inside to middle, with major weaknesses in training and attitude.

Put in the same ring, prime for prime, there is no skill Calzaghe offers that can hurt james, the calibre of whom he has never met and would never voluntarily meet. Joe would have little option but to try to absorb James's blows of shocking accuracy, since he cant outbox James. Toney by very late KO or TKO, unless Joe can somehow get the fight to fight in Wales and do an Ottke on him via a Welsh ref who stops the fight for no reason as Calzaghe did with most of his defences (ie if calzaghe cheats).

His other chance is that JT turns up in bad condition and he can outwork him late on from a distance, he might just edge a decision if he weathers the early storm and make up for losing the first half of the fight as he did with old gassing Bernard.

Ray Corso
07-27-2013, 05:29 PM
This tread is 3 yrs old! Be happy with one of the best from "Britian" and leave the "World" alone! hahahaha!!!! It just gets dumber & dumber here!

Anthony342
07-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Yeah I was just going to say that, what's with all these years old threads being dug up so often recently?

Cardinal Buck
07-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Calzaghe would own Toney. Stylistically, I don't think this works out for James.

billeau2
07-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Calzaghe has some decent weapons in his arsenal, amazing fitness, tactically smart, speed of hand and good chin plus the confusing southpaw stance. His biggest weakness are an appallingly low accuracy, very weak power, a lack of bravery and a narrow skillset.

Toney brings high accuracy, fantastic chin and power to the ring plus amazing boxing skills on the inside to middle, with major weaknesses in training and attitude.

Put in the same ring, prime for prime, there is no skill Calzaghe offers that can hurt james, the calibre of whom he has never met and would never voluntarily meet. Joe would have little option but to try to absorb James's blows of shocking accuracy, since he cant outbox James. Toney by very late KO or TKO, unless Joe can somehow get the fight to fight in Wales and do an Ottke on him via a Welsh ref who stops the fight for no reason as Calzaghe did with most of his defences (ie if calzaghe cheats).

His other chance is that JT turns up in bad condition and he can outwork him late on from a distance, he might just edge a decision if he weathers the early storm and make up for losing the first half of the fight as he did with old gassing Bernard.

Exactly. Different class of fighter. Hopkins beat Joe, he put him on his duff. Toney in his prime? Nunn was a much better fighter than Joe and Toney did a number on him. Joe never fought a world class guy in his prime....Even if he got the Otke treatment people would see, like they did with Hopkins, the difference between Platinum and tin.

Humean
07-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Exactly. Different class of fighter. Hopkins beat Joe, he put him on his duff. Toney in his prime? Nunn was a much better fighter than Joe and Toney did a number on him. Joe never fought a world class guy in his prime....Even if he got the Otke treatment people would see, like they did with Hopkins, the difference between Platinum and tin.

Calzaghe beat Hopkins. I'm a fan of Hopkins but Calzaghe is the only man to actually beat Hopkins moving forward and taking the fight to Hopkins. It was a dull fight because Hopkins did a lot of holding and did not achieve the success he usually achieves because Calzaghe is skilled much like Hopkins at Holding and punching. You are overrating Toney too much, he ubdoubtedly had a lot of ability but he also had weaknesses and problems with his focus and mental state. Those who think Toney would definitely beat Calzaghe are only focussing on what was good about Toney and not about what was bad. Calzaghe in contrast won every one of his fights. Eubank and Kessler were world class fighters in their prime and the version of Hopkins he beat, prime or not, was still a version that very few could beat especially whilst moving forward against him.

I have Calzaghe by decision.

RichCCFC
07-28-2013, 04:06 PM
I'll always be biased towards Calzaghe but he could definitely have beaten James. It's a toss up fight and depends on tactics, Calzaghe I think is smart enough to not try and pressure James and probably good enough to box with him mid range.

RichCCFC
07-28-2013, 04:12 PM

I think you're missing the point with Calzaghe though, he wouldn't go in there looking to KO Toney, he'd go in there trying to out point him and that would be serious trouble for James who likes his opponent to lead and then counter. I don't see the Hopkins fight with Calzaghe being much relevance, Hopkins even at 43 always had vastly superior footwork to James and his defense is different the way he springs forward with his head down and clinches. Toney is a great boxer with a high ring IQ but he's no where near as savy as Hopkins and Calzaghe definitely has room to land his flurries and get out on him.