View Full Version : Who was the Greatest Fighter Joe Louis Defeated?

The Beatles
03-15-2010, 07:55 AM
He lost to 2 great fighters in Charles and Marciano who IMO were greater than every other opponent Louis fought...

so who was the greatest name on Joe's resume?

Sugarj
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
For me its Jersey Joe Walcott. A future heavyweight champ, one of the best technicians ever, fast, slippery, KO power in both hands. True he lost to lesser fighters over the course of his career but when he was on form he was spectacular.

Joe Louis got off the canvas to win a disputed decision in their first fight. He also got off the canvas in their second fight to KO Walcott when behind on points.

Louis was not prime in either of these fights, but I'd argue that the 'peak' Walcott that he fought and beat was his best opponent.

Also remember that although Charles and Walcott traded several decisions with each other at heavyweight, Walcott knocked Charles spark out and gave Marciano more of a boxing lesson than Charles did in their first fight prior to the 13th round KO.

NonelikeNunn
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Conn, Schmeling or Walcott are the names that immediately come to mind.

JAB5239
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
For me its Jersey Joe Walcott. A future heavyweight champ, one of the best technicians ever, fast, slippery, KO power in both hands. True he lost to lesser fighters over the course of his career but when he was on form he was spectacular.

Joe Louis got off the canvas to win a disputed decision in their first fight. He also got off the canvas in their second fight to KO Walcott when behind on points.

Louis was not prime in either of these fights, but I'd argue that the 'peak' Walcott that he fought and beat was his best opponent.

Also remember that although Charles and Walcott traded several decisions with each other at heavyweight, Walcott knocked Charles spark out and gave Marciano more of a boxing lesson than Charles did in their first fight prior to the 13th round KO.

You can also add Max Baer and John Henry Louis.

Sugarj
03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
I didn't rate the Max Baer that Louis fought. He should have been hungry as hell after the Braddock fight. But barring one short spell in the fight he fought quite negatively, nothing like the guy who tore into Schmelling or Carnera a couple of years before.

Same for John Henry Louis, it couldn't really be argued that he was in peak form the day Louis destroyed him in one round.

Great names at one point but past their best when Louis fought them.

Snopkins
03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I wonder how many legally blind fighters would be permitted to enter a ring,let alone with the heavyweight champion of the world in todays scene.

TheGreatA
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I wonder how many legally blind fighters would be permitted to enter a ring,let alone with the heavyweight champion of the world in todays scene.

Chagaev and Brewster have had some eye problems.

Snopkins
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Chagaev and Brewster suffered detached retinas like Ray Leonard did,but they're not completely blind in one eye like Lewis was.

Joey Giardello
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM

joe louis was blind in one eye? from the start of his career?

JAB5239
03-15-2010, 09:12 PM

You've lost your right to an opinion. Anyone who is afraid to post their own list shouldn't be allowed to just troll these boards.

HitmanHattonAY
03-15-2010, 11:30 PM

James Braddock !!

Jim Jeffries
03-16-2010, 12:14 AM
James Braddock !!

Kind of odd how Schmeling beats Louis, yet it's Louis that gets the only title shot at Braddock, isn't it?

The Beatles
03-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Kind of odd how Schmeling beats Louis, yet it's Louis that gets the only title shot at Braddock, isn't it?
i never really understood that....why did Louis get the title shot first?? was it because Schmeling was too inactive??

Jim Jeffries
03-16-2010, 12:55 AM
i never really understood that....why did Louis get the title shot first?? was it because Schmeling was too inactive??

It was only a year later.

Louis was very active during that year, but he wasn't exactly fighting world beaters.

I read somewhere that Braddock's manager talked Louis out of a percentage of his career earnings, though I cannot remember the figure (think it was 10%,) nor confirm it.

This says Braddock fought Louis to avoid fighting Schmeling and risk losing the title to a German:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/archives/d9002c.htm

And this says Braddock got 10 percent of all Mike Jacobs' promotions in which Louis fought due to an agreement made when Braddock agreed to defend his title against Louis.

http://www.murphsplace.com/crowe/braddock/own-words.html

JAB5239
03-16-2010, 01:18 AM

Braddock was promised 10% of all future earnings from Louis fights. Seeing Joe blaze his way thru other fighters and how popular he was, Jim was in a win/win situation. Lose and get the money. Win and keep the title. Had he fought Schmeling and lost he most likely would have been ostracized and been out of the money and title. The Louis fight simply made the most sense.

Jim Jeffries
03-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Braddock was promised 10% of all future earnings from Louis fights. Seeing Joe blaze his way thru other fighters and how popular he was, Jim was in a win/win situation. Lose and get the money. Win and keep the title. Had he fought Schmeling and lost he most likely would have been ostracized and been out of the money and title. The Louis fight simply made the most sense.

Yeah I think Braddock knew he had pretty much no chance with either, which is why he waited two whole years to finally defend his title.

Nice story, excellent movie and huge accomplishment for what was basically a club fighter. Can't say I blame him too much for holding onto that glory for as long as possible and then taking the money.

JAB5239
03-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Yeah I think Braddock knew he had pretty much no chance with either, which is why he waited two whole years to finally defend his title.

Nice story, excellent movie and huge accomplishment for what was basically a club fighter. Can't say I blame him too much for holding onto that glory for as long as possible and then taking the money.

Its funny but both Louis and Braddock admired each other very much. Louis had said Braddock was the toughest man he ever fought. Braddock commented that getting hit with Joe's jab was like getting hit by other fighters rights. When asked about getting hit with Louis' right he said it was like getting hit with a tire iron.

EzzardFan
03-18-2010, 05:59 AM

I'm with you there.

ManniePhresh
03-18-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm with you there.

max baer, schmelling, braddock

Fiasco
03-18-2010, 07:39 AM

It's because he was German.

TheGreatA
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Braddock called the shots and got a better offer from Joe Louis. Of course Schmeling's nationality may have had something to do with it too, the Americans wanted the title to stay in the US.

However it must be said that Braddock in no way sold his title to Louis, he fought like a man possessed and absorbed terrific punishment until being knocked out cold. It was a valiant effort by him.

.Paulie.
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Billy Conn

mickey malone
03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Billy Conn
I agree..

Buddy Baer, Max Baer, Carnera, Braddock and Schmeling II were his best performances though..

phallus
03-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Billy Conn

yeah, i think walcott also, he came into his prime late in his career. the walcott that louis fought was the best walcott, and louis was just past his prime. also billy conn, he was a great boxer

razzledaz 38
03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
yes it,s walcott for me

boxingbuff
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree..

Buddy Baer, Max Baer, Carnera, Braddock and Schmeling II were his best performances though..

How many fighters that Joe Louis beat would you rank in the top 10 of all-time? The top 15?