View Full Version : Who can beat gsp at ww??

No1
03-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I've been a fan of mma for a good few years now, and im just wondering how long will gsp reign at ww and who can defeat him?? Im not a big gsp fan, I agree he's a superb fighter but his takedown after takedown tactics bore me. I just think the only way he losses to anyone is if he moves up to mw and fights larger men, Like say a.silva or vitor belfort. I know it wont happen unless the ufc agree a catch weight fight. I thorght alves who has world
class muay thai and world class takedown defence would have the best chance, but gsp took him down at will and made his stand up useless. So do you guys agree, that currently no one comes close to beating this guy at 170pounds??

Bullrush
03-14-2010, 04:34 PM
josh koscheck & jon fitch

and then you have paulo thiago, alves, and paul daley maybe but i dont think these 3 can beat GSP. thiago alves needs to use his leg kicks and knees if he wants to beat GSP. paulo isnt strong enough and wont be able to submit GSP. daley sucks on the ground.

TheNegation
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
At WW, nobody.

But I'd have to say Nick Diaz or Koscheck would have the best shot.

Sammy J
03-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Josh Koscheck already fought GSP and had his chance. Why the hell would I wanna see that again? I think Koscheck poses no threat to GSP. There's only two fighters that are capable of beating GSP.

Those two fighters are PAUL DALEY and NICK DIAZ.

Nick Diaz isn't in the UFC and I don't see him going back in the near future. Strikeforce will try their best to keep him there. I know Nick wants to fight GSP really bad, but I doubt that fight will EVER happen.

Paul Daley is going to fight Koscheck (UFC 114) and Daley is going to make a fool out of Koscheck. Believe it. GSP is scared of Daley.

One thing I know for sure is that I do not want to see a rematch with Jon Fitch.

F l i c k e r
03-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Anyon who isn't afraid of being taken down. Everyone so far is scared ****less by being taken down, if your not afraid you will fight more confident but everyone so far is ****ting themselves when GSP shoots in.

I see it like this...

1. Dan Hardy
2. Paul Daley
3. Josh Koscheck

I say Dan Hardy because his stand up technique is second to none in the WW. If he is serious about not being afraid of the takedown, then I think he can pull it off. He isn't the best wrestler but he finds ways to get back to the feet. Dan better hope what he said is true because if he gets taken down and realizes just how strong GSP's hips are, he is ****ed.

Paul Daley for obvious reasons. If you get caught clean by one of his hooks, your head is flying into the third row. He has the power to put anyone in the WW division to sleep. I want to see more of his wrestling though. GSP will dry hump him for sure, he wouldn't stand up with Daley for his life. So I want to see how Daley can do when he wrestles.

Josh Koscheck because before GSP became a wrestling god, Kos had the best wrestling in the division. **** what people say about Matt Hughes, Koscheck has better wrestling. He also found his standup, if he could negate the takedown, he has a puncher's chance standing up. Avoid the superman switch kick and he will be fine standing up.

I don't mention Nick Diaz because he isn't in the UFc. Nick Diaz has the ground game to beat GSP. Where GSP may wreslte the **** out of him, Diaz could submitt GSP from his back. Unlike BJ, Nick has the body of a WW, so he isn't going to be dwarfed. His legs will be able to reach around in the rubber guard if need be. Penn's legs couldn't do that, he was too small. Nick's stand up is also better than GSP's as far as punching goes. Less power, maybe, but all in all, Nick's hands are more on point than GSP's. I think GSP would still control him for the most part because Nick is WAAAAY too off and on of a fighter.

I'm still waiting for someone to throw the damn knee when GSP shoots in. 90% of the time that is a insta-kayo.

No1
03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I still dont believe anyone can at ww. Gsp fought koshcek before and beat him, thiago alves mauled kosh and he himself got thrown around by gsp. Jon fitch got punched about by gsp. Paul daley may have a chance, But you know as soon at he throws a punch, gsp will shoot for his legs and start to throw him around all night long. Paul daley with decent takedown defence would be the key, You need to have calculated agrresion and be able to time gsp's takdown and counter with knee's this would deter gsp and force him to stand up which is the far weaker part of his game. Its tricky trying to find a way to counter gsp, you cant counter punch him becuase he wont stand and punch he;ll just shoot. If your agressive he'll just take you down once you let your hands go. I cant see anyone beating him. If vitor belfort was a welter weight he'd have a great chance, He is a superb bjj fighter so could handle gsp on hte ground, plus he has the best punches in the game and could counter gsp when he goes to shoot.

kaps
03-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Here is a list of fighters that can beat GSP at Welter Weight....

No1
03-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Here is a list of fighters that can beat GSP at Welter Weight....

lol true. Its a shame though that half the divisions in the ufc arnt even competitive. You have anderson silva at middleweight who no has a chance to beat, gsp at ww and bj penn at lw. It makes all the title fights very boring as you already know who is going to win with a 100% certainty. A.silva will ko maia. gsp will UD hardy and Bj penn with either tko or win a ud against edgar. Its kinda boring.

kaps
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
lol true. Its a shame though that half the divisions in the ufc arnt even competitive. You have anderson silva at middleweight who no has a chance to beat, gsp at ww and bj penn at lw. It makes all the title fights very boring as you already know who is going to win with a 100% certainty. A.silva will ko maia. gsp will UD hardy and Bj penn with either tko or win a ud against edgar. Its kinda boring.

Agree. I think Penn, GSP, and Silva should all move up one weight class....

TheNegation
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I say Dan Hardy because his stand up technique is second to none in the WW.

LMAO? Really? Dan Hardy's striking has reached new level of overrated. Dana even went so far as to say his striking is perfect. LOL **** right off with that crap.

Dan Hardy's striking is average at best.

Dan Hardy. This is the same guy who hasn't knocked out anyone worth a damn in his career, this is also the same guy who arguably lost to Akihiro Gono. What the hell would GSP do to Gono? Besides kill him?

He has 3 other victories in the UFC. 3 Decisions. 2 of which were split decisions.

Dan Hardy's only way to win this fight with GSP is to come forward throwing bombs and hope one lands. But the thing is Dan Hardy is a Counter Puncher and a ****ty one at that. His punches are telegraphed and you can see his hook coming a mile away. He has power but as far as technical proficiency he's absolutely abysmal. GSP is a better striker than Hardy.

Daley is a strong guy, would have more of a chance at beating GSP but Daley would not be able to stop GSP's shot or survive his onslaught. Nor would Hardy and Koscheck has already failed that test.

I'm still waiting for someone to throw the damn knee when GSP shoots in. 90% of the time that is a insta-kayo.

No it's not. Maybe if a guy dives for ankles or shooting in without setting up first, but GSP doesn't do that.

No1
03-14-2010, 10:06 PM
LMAO? Really? Dan Hardy's striking has reached new level of overrated. Dana even went so far as to say his striking is perfect. LOL **** right off with that crap.

Dan Hardy's striking is average at best.

Dan Hardy. This is the same guy who hasn't knocked out anyone worth a damn in his career, this is also the same guy who arguably lost to Akihiro Gono. What the hell would GSP do to Gono? Besides kill him?

He has 3 other victories in the UFC. 3 Decisions. 2 of which were split decisions.

Dan Hardy's only way to win this fight with GSP is to come forward throwing bombs and hope one lands. But the thing is Dan Hardy is a Counter Puncher and a ****ty one at that. His punches are telegraphed and you can see his hook coming a mile away. He has power but as far as technical proficiency he's absolutely abysmal. GSP is a better striker than Hardy.

Daley is a strong guy, would have more of a chance at beating GSP but Daley would not be able to stop GSP's shot or survive his onslaught. Nor would Hardy and Koscheck has already failed that test.

No it's not. Maybe if a guy dives for ankles or shooting in without setting up first, but GSP doesn't do that.
I dont usally agree with you. But on this point I do. Hardy has become very overated thanks to dana and the build up shows. He's a decent fighter, But i'd fancy alves who was thrown around by gsp to maul hardy and proberly ko his ass. I dont thin any current ww fighter has a chance at the moment. I'd like to see a gsp fight a ww jon jones, that would be good with jon's long ass arms and mad wrestling skills. But it'll never happen, I'll just have to sit through more gsp fights knowing who will win before they even make weight.

Thats a fought, the only way he losses his title is if he fails to make weight and the ufc strip him lol