View Full Version : Boxing gloves

Supafly25
12-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Hey people,

i've got 2 question for you on this one.

1. Do different weight divisions wear different gloves? If not what weight does each division wear, if so, what is the universal weight of gloves?

2. I'm looking at buying a new pair of gloves. There primary use will be punching the heavy bag and working on focus mitts. I was wondering if i would be better of buying a pair of proper 10oz boxing gloves and getting used to the weight and feel of them, or, buying a pair of heavy bag traing gloves, the curled ones that dont have thumb support?

Any comments will be much appriciated, thanks in advance for your help.

spinksjinx
12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey people,

i've got 2 question for you on this one.

1. Do different weight divisions wear different gloves? If not what weight does each division wear, if so, what is the universal weight of gloves?

2. I'm looking at buying a new pair of gloves. There primary use will be punching the heavy bag and working on focus mitts. I was wondering if i would be better of buying a pair of proper 10oz boxing gloves and getting used to the weight and feel of them, or, buying a pair of heavy bag traing gloves, the curled ones that dont have thumb support?

Any comments will be much appriciated, thanks in advance for your help.

Yes weight of the gloves matter in the pro's

Heavyweights wear ones larger then feather due to the size difference....

If you are wanting to hit the bag and mitts, I would suggest 12oz gloves they are heavier then most and if you decide to ever lace up a pair for a fight and the gloves are lighter your hands will fly...

I would have to give the nod on getting the ones with the thumb support, you need all the support you can get...

Also get some wraps first rule in bag work or whenever the gloves are on is WRAPS! Very important you dont need to hurt or break anything in your hands or wrist.

Supafly25
12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
I weigh 76 kg (167 pounds). If i was to fight what weight gloves would i wear. Also i live in Australia and the only gloves i can find are Everlast Bronx collection. They do not lace up but have velcro straps, does this make much of a difference? Thanks for your help.

spinksjinx
12-02-2004, 05:32 PM
I weigh 76 kg (167 pounds). If i was to fight what weight gloves would i wear. Also i live in Australia and the only gloves i can find are Everlast Bronx collection. They do not lace up but have velcro straps, does this make much of a difference? Thanks for your help.

10 oz

Velcro straps are better for training, It is impossible to lace a glove up by yourself when one is on the other hand...

Go with Velcro.

Supafly25
12-02-2004, 10:15 PM
10 oz

Velcro straps are better for training, It is impossible to lace a glove up by yourself when one is on the other hand...

Go with Velcro.

hrrrrrm, just thought of that. Thanks

spinksjinx
12-02-2004, 11:11 PM
hrrrrrm, just thought of that. Thanks

Not a problem...

boxer2k5
12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
iI say get a few pairs of gloves

i have 3 pairs

2 training gloves(One 12 one 14 ounces)
i always use the 14 ounce whn i spar and on the bags or jsut whenever i train

and my other glove is the same used in the amatures velcro

i have handwraps as well
which helps

but if you going to fight its not really up to youw hich size you use

if you train i say use heavy gloves 12 14 ounces
and push it

Atwa_66
12-04-2004, 09:26 PM
I have 16 oz. gloves, and I think they are too huge, I think I need alot smaller pair, but is 16 oz. still ok for hitting the bag?

elveiel
12-04-2004, 09:33 PM
I have 16 oz. gloves, and I think they are too huge, I think I need alot smaller pair, but is 16 oz. still ok for hitting the bag?

They should be fine, i wear 14oz for sparring so i dont damage my hands and the opponents to much!!

www.ringside.com do very good gloves, i use the superbag gloves for bag work.

I use Everlast gloves for fighting.

Atwa_66
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
They should be fine, i wear 14oz for sparring so i dont damage my hands and the opponents to much!!

www.ringside.com do very good gloves, i use the superbag gloves for bag work.

I use Everlast gloves for fighting.
Ok that's cool, thanks alot :)

andreyd
01-21-2005, 09:06 AM
12 oz are the best choice

maxi
06-09-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Oz. for sparring.
14 or 16 Oz. for training with heavy bags.

Recommend Raja boxing gloves. I just bought from boxingtop dot com and it's really great pairs.

rmz
06-09-2009, 04:20 AM
10 Oz. for sparring.

Recommend Raja boxing gloves. I just bought from boxingtop dot com and it's really great pairs.

You have it backwards - 10/12 oz for training and 14/16 oz for sparring.

Cuauhtémoc1520
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Yea I agree, I am a trainer and I always have my guys hit with 16oz gloves. For sparring, bag work everything. Reason being because they are heavy and once they get into a fight, their hands feel super light.

When I train them for a fight, we do work the mits with 12-14oz gloves so they can get the feel before the fight but during training it's 16oz all the way.

I also have them keep their mouth piece in at all times so they can get used to that as well.

#1Assassin
06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Oz. for sparring.

10oz for sparring is just ignorant.. thats what u have when u fight. no need for them training, ull just hurt eachother. 12 is the smallest u should have for sparring. most likely 14, and even though i hate it myself possibly 16oz..

like the other guy said u have it backwards.. smaller gloves for bag work and heavier gloves for sparrin, son.